Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar
 
Spritze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bothell Wa
Posts: 7,210
Thanks: 327
Thanked 3,246x in 1,912 posts
I too want out

whatever they use to rate players is a pile of pooh and historical players do not play good.

only 2018 bullpen guys seem to get high ratings and I would bet not even their own mothers know who they are.
__________________
It's madness, madness, I tell you! For the love of God, don't do it!
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
pgjocki (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #22
stl jason
Hall Of Famer
 
stl jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,054
Thanks: 1,012
Thanked 1,519x in 973 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
I too want out

whatever they use to rate players is a pile of pooh and historical players do not play good.

only 2018 bullpen guys seem to get high ratings and I would bet not even their own mothers know who they are.
might just be the fact there are a lot more 'live'/2018 players dropping in the packs than historical.... kinda makes me look forward to v20 when we can go check out other leagues and see how those teams/players are doing.

but for a small sample snapshot, in my current league, there are a bunch of historical players doing well (heck, my pre-ww2 team is leading their division again this year after winning the world series last season in silver league).... so for leaders in average we have:

Tommy Davis (1962)
Joe Christopher (1964)
George Kell (1950)

for homeruns, two of three are historic players:

Jack Clark (1978)
Vern Stephens (1949)

on the pitching side, couple historic in the ERA lead:

Mark Langston (1989) - (not exactly "historic" in the extreme sense, but still not a 'live' card)
Larry Dierker (1969)

and wins, my own Sad Sam Jones (1921) is only 1 off the lead.
Attached Images
Image 
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
pgjocki (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #23
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar
 
Spritze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bothell Wa
Posts: 7,210
Thanks: 327
Thanked 3,246x in 1,912 posts
PT just "feels" too different from historical or random debut. I get the sample size argument and such but the ratings make no sense on the surface and historical players do not play to their historical abilities. Too many era's over 7 and too many all-stars hitting below the Mendoza line. Something has rotted in Denmark and no amount of Febreze is gonna fix it.

Just an opinion. A feeling. Intuition. Magic beans.

No sir, I don't like it.
__________________
It's madness, madness, I tell you! For the love of God, don't do it!
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
byzeil (01-12-2019), eborix (01-13-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Orcin
Hall Of Famer
 
Orcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,114
Thanks: 4,250
Thanked 7,968x in 3,878 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
PT just "feels" too different from historical or random debut. I get the sample size argument and such but the ratings make no sense on the surface and historical players do not play to their historical abilities. Too many era's over 7 and too many all-stars hitting below the Mendoza line. Something has rotted in Denmark and no amount of Febreze is gonna fix it.

Just an opinion. A feeling. Intuition. Magic beans.

No sir, I don't like it.
I am enjoying it. My all-historical team is holding its own in Perfect league. I like that you can't just sign every free agent that you want and trade for any star that you want. There's real competition for these players and you have to learn to work with what you have. You have to adjust to slumps and tailor your roster to counter the strengths of your opponents. I find it much more challenging than vanilla OOTPB.
__________________


My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #25
Dogberry99
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 706
Thanked 439x in 312 posts
I feel that it is important to point out that the one commonality found in these last two posts is that both assert that PT is very different.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #26
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar
 
Spritze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bothell Wa
Posts: 7,210
Thanks: 327
Thanked 3,246x in 1,912 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I feel that it is important to point out that the one commonality found in these last two posts is that both assert that PT is very different.
Almost like it is a different version of the game. Which of course it is.

Rainbows and Unicorns.
__________________
It's madness, madness, I tell you! For the love of God, don't do it!
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #27
old timer
Hall Of Famer
 
old timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,070
Thanks: 3,367
Thanked 1,189x in 676 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
PT just "feels" too different from historical or random debut. I get the sample size argument and such but the ratings make no sense on the surface and historical players do not play to their historical abilities.

One thing to keep in mind is that the stats are neutralized and therefore, a player's stats can't be judged in an absolute way. If someone pitched very well in 1968, then they might not have such great ratings due to the fact that pitching in general was so good that year. [By the way, I know you already know this, I'm just adding this for others, just in case.]

Another problem is with how a person looks at the ratings. For example, a 70 HR rating is good in a normal baseball league, so they see that and think that this player will hit a lot of HRs. But you need to look at the competition (and not just the pitchers, but the other hitters too) before you can determine if this is a good rating in your PT league.

In a 1977 historical season, there are 377 batters and 30 of them (8%) with ratings of 70+. In my PT Gold league there are 427 batters and 137 (32%) have HR ratings of 70+. In other words, HR ratings of 70+ are 4 times more common in this example. So they're less special in PT. The same is true with respect to other ratings.

Those two reasons, I think, are why people are misjudging how well someone should do. And yes, randomness makes a difference too.

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding how OOTP handles league totals, the number of HRs that should be expected in a league are predetermined, but the distribution depends on the particular player ratings. In other words, if everyone in a league has an HR rating from 70-80, then the 70's will on average, get the fewest HRs and will seem like weak HR hitters which is why I wrote what I did above. But if this is not how things work, then can someone explain how things do work?
__________________


Last edited by old timer; 01-12-2019 at 04:33 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
BoofBonser26 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #28
BPS
All Star Reserve
 
BPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 685
Thanks: 27
Thanked 155x in 65 posts
Player acquisition strategies should be driven by the knowledge that the stats engine allocates a (somewhat) set amount of good (and bad) outcomes.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:03 AM   #29
old timer
Hall Of Famer
 
old timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,070
Thanks: 3,367
Thanked 1,189x in 676 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
Player acquisition strategies should be driven by the knowledge that the stats engine allocates a (somewhat) set amount of good (and bad) outcomes.

I think I know what you mean, but could you elaborate?
__________________

old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:19 AM   #30
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve
 
Hammercraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 688
Thanks: 683
Thanked 825x in 331 posts
I've given up on caring about making a "Perfect Team" and instead am committed to being a perpetually silver team full of players I like. It's more guaranteed fun that way.
__________________
PT: Black River Brewers
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 AM   #31
old timer
Hall Of Famer
 
old timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,070
Thanks: 3,367
Thanked 1,189x in 676 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
I've given up on caring about making a "Perfect Team" and instead am committed to being a perpetually silver team full of players I like. It's more guaranteed fun that way.

I like that idea too, though I'm going about it differently. I'm now mostly looking to upgrade players by using players I like, even if I could have gotten someone better rated for the same or even less PP.

So I have guys like Klein, Bill Terry, Mantle and Medwick, because I like (mostly) baseball from the past more. But I won't add Campaneris (my favorite player when I was a kid), because Aparicio is better (for my purposes) so I'm still trying to get the best bang for the buck, while trying to only get players I liked.
__________________

old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:15 AM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,470
Thanks: 4,460
Thanked 4,442x in 2,315 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Okay, I've quit buying packs and started buying folks from the auction. Of course, this means I need to be a little more patient and allow my team to accumulate more points. I'm platooning guys more often now. My team still isn't great, but I'm in the Wildcard race. I have some historical guys producing. Maris has 31 bombs, Mize 18 and Matt Williams 23.

Anyone know if Tony Phillips is in Perfect Team? He was the ultimate play every position guy back in the day. I signed Mark DeRosa as my utility guy, but would love to land a Phillips.

For now I intend to plug on. I really need to acquire some pitching, but I think in doing so, I will have to be patient. Just realized my bullpen is 100% right handed. Ugh~ that may explain some of my struggles.

Last edited by David Watts; 01-12-2019 at 02:34 AM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #33
stl jason
Hall Of Famer
 
stl jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,054
Thanks: 1,012
Thanked 1,519x in 973 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Okay, I've quit buying packs and started buying folks from the auction. Of course, this means I need to be a little more patient and allow my team to accumulate more points. I'm platooning guys more often now. My team still isn't great, but I'm in the Wildcard race. I have some historical guys producing. Maris has 31 bombs, Mize 18 and Matt Williams 23.

Anyone know if Tony Phillips is in Perfect Team? He was the ultimate play every position guy back in the day. I signed Mark DeRosa as my utility guy, but would love to land a Phillips.

For now I intend to plug on. I really need to acquire some pitching, but I think in doing so, I will have to be patient. Just realized my bullpen is 100% right handed. Ugh~ that may explain some of my struggles.
if you want a test of ultimate patience, make a team and build it with only packs (no auction purchases). I'm trying that with my Ghost Hill team (save 1000 points, buy a pack, watch 5 irons and a bronze pop up, hang your head, repeat). It's a bit maddening waiting for a good upgrade to the starting pitching, but what can ya do

of course, if you're going the F2P route, it's a game of patience no matter which way you go, and (at least for me) you get that gut twisting feeling when you're looking at spending your hard earned 15K points on a single player and wonder if he's really going to make that big an impact (cause you won't be spending that much for a long time again)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #34
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,470
Thanks: 4,460
Thanked 4,442x in 2,315 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
if you want a test of ultimate patience, make a team and build it with only packs (no auction purchases). I'm trying that with my Ghost Hill team (save 1000 points, buy a pack, watch 5 irons and a bronze pop up, hang your head, repeat). It's a bit maddening waiting for a good upgrade to the starting pitching, but what can ya do

of course, if you're going the F2P route, it's a game of patience no matter which way you go, and (at least for me) you get that gut twisting feeling when you're looking at spending your hard earned 15K points on a single player and wonder if he's really going to make that big an impact (cause you won't be spending that much for a long time again)
I was doing the pack thing since the start and was whiffing big time. I'm determined to get myself out of the bronze prison I'm trapped in. Today is going to be an interesting day. I have a shot at the post season, but everything has to go right.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #35
BPS
All Star Reserve
 
BPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 685
Thanks: 27
Thanked 155x in 65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
I think I know what you mean, but could you elaborate?
One example (out of many): if a league has no JD Martinez and one is added to the league, this single Martinez might hit 45 HRs. But if a second JD Martinez is added, both might hit 43 HRs, Add yet another JD Martinez to the mix and the three Martinez clones might all hit 39 HRs (on average). Each additional JD Martinez is less valuable than the one before.

The above is true for HRs and for many other categories of statistical output (both for offense and defense). Some statistical output (of some fixed amount for a league) might have few people trying to grab it and baseball players who generate this output might be undervalued in the AH. At the same time, some baseball players who have talents to grab some already over-grabbed statistical output are over-priced.

The above is a different process than in regular OOTP in which the talent pool is relatively set. In PT, the talent pool has continually grown (although more slowly now) which makes more important a consideration of the set amount of statistical output.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #36
Orcin
Hall Of Famer
 
Orcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,114
Thanks: 4,250
Thanked 7,968x in 3,878 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
One example (out of many): if a league has no JD Martinez and one is added to the league, this single Martinez might hit 45 HRs. But if a second JD Martinez is added, both might hit 43 HRs, Add yet another JD Martinez to the mix and the three Martinez clones might all hit 39 HRs (on average). Each additional JD Martinez is less valuable than the one before.

The above is true for HRs and for many other categories of statistical output (both for offense and defense). Some statistical output (of some fixed amount for a league) might have few people trying to grab it and baseball players who generate this output might be undervalued in the AH. At the same time, some baseball players who have talents to grab some already over-grabbed statistical output are over-priced.

The above is a different process than in regular OOTP in which the talent pool is relatively set. In PT, the talent pool has continually grown (although more slowly now) which makes more important a consideration of the set amount of statistical output.
I believe this is true in the aggregate, but not player by player. I don't think each successive J.D. Martinez drags the performance for other Martinez down any more than it drags Babe Ruth down. It's just one more batter to share the total home run pool. It doesn't matter if it is the same player. Maybe that's what you meant, but I didn't understand it that way.
__________________


My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #37
BPS
All Star Reserve
 
BPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 685
Thanks: 27
Thanked 155x in 65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I believe this is true in the aggregate, but not player by player. I don't think each successive J.D. Martinez drags the performance for other Martinez down any more than it drags Babe Ruth down. It's just one more batter to share the total home run pool. It doesn't matter if it is the same player. Maybe that's what you meant, but I didn't understand it that way.
I was merely giving a concrete example (as JD Martinez is seen so frequently).

Any new JD Martinez drags down the performance of all other players with high HR ratings (and, of course, the HR performance of all other player too). As those playing PT bulk up with HR hitters, they are merely sharing a relatively set pool of HRs and each new big HR hitter is worth less than the previous ones in the game (and reduces the value of all other HR hitters).

Of course, exactly what is going on behind the scenes in OOTP/PT is not always clear. Some statistical output is exogenously determined while other is likely endogenously determined by the ratings of the player pool. And, who knows, perhaps PT does things a bit differently from how OOTP (non-PT) does things.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
old timer (01-12-2019), Orcin (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #38
daves
All Star Starter
 
daves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 1,295
Thanked 506x in 354 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Is there a way to quit Perfect Team? Is there somewhere I can go that allows me to say, hey, I'm done, don't put my team in a new league Monday morning?
I wonder if you can transfer the login to a friend?

Also, with other games, players reach a certain level and then actually sell there account. Some for quite a sum.
__________________
1st 4-peat team in PT history 1.0

Righty defense team

Lefty Custom
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #39
Orcin
Hall Of Famer
 
Orcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,114
Thanks: 4,250
Thanked 7,968x in 3,878 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I wonder if you can transfer the login to a friend?

Also, with other games, players reach a certain level and then actually sell there account. Some for quite a sum.
This would be a violation of the ToS.
__________________


My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #40
daves
All Star Starter
 
daves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 1,295
Thanked 506x in 354 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
This would be a violation of the ToS.
I am not sure why? If you and I own the game and you are tired of the PT system, why can't you sell your login to me for $10? Just asking not doing.
__________________
1st 4-peat team in PT history 1.0

Righty defense team

Lefty Custom
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments