Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #181
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Aargh. Don't tell me that this quantum leap has to do with a whole bunch of guys learning about "launch angle." Some MLB dope or set of dopes decided to spice things up by doctoring the baseballs. It's a stupid shame, really, because none of these records (74 homers, anyone?) will mean a darned thing.
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #182
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm. Two things:
  1. The opener thing didn't work today at all.
  2. The Cleveland Indians are not the Baltimore Orioles.

Third thing: Once he settled down, Mike Ford wasn't bad on the mound! A 1-2-3 9th inning, ending with a strikeout! He looked better than most of the openers and followers who preceded him in this blowout.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 08-15-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #183
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Here's a headline for you:

Yankees clinch 27th straight season above .500

How about that! As Mel Allen would say.

- Bru

Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #184
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

The thing about Tanaka is that you never know which one is going to show up: Masahiro Jekyll or Masahiro Hyde.

- Bru

Old 08-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #185
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

So they pulled Germán after only 5 innings and 90 pitches today. Sánchez has just hit his second home run in the bottom of the inning to tie the game so Germán is off the hook as to a loss. He also cannot win the game. This is why you are not going to see 20-game winners anymore. Shutouts, too.

I understand why Boone made the move; to not make it would expose him to severe criticism should Germán develop arm trouble later on. Everybody else is doing more or less the same thing.

Still, I mourn the slow passing of the era of dominant pitchers. Now it's pitching by committee. Even a Jacob deGrom cannot be considered dominant these days. Not if he goes only five to seven innings because that leaves two to four innings of bullpen relief and that's not dominating the game in my opinion.

EDIT: Loaisiga, whom they brought in to replace Germán, walked a guy, gave up a single, and hit a batter to load the bases. He just missed walking in a run; the pitch looked like a ball to me but it was strike three. Then an acrobatic play by Didi in the hole at short saved Loaisiga's bacon. My point? Germán was dominating the A's but they took him out because he might hurt himself somehow after only 90 pitches.

EDIT 2: Well, the committee was shaky at times but they did all right in the end. DJ LeMahieu with a walk-off home run! So all's well that ends well but Gearrin gets the win, not Germán.

EDIT 3: But anyway, we really, really needed to beat the A's.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 08-31-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #186
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Well, that was quick. I should have made a separate thread on this but now it's too late. It's like it's old news.

The Twins made short work of the record that the Yankees set last year for most home runs as a ballclub in one season. And it was still August.

The goofs at MLB now have a choice. Ditch the juiced-up baseball, making 2019 an outlier year for all sorts of home run records which will stand out like a sore thumb. Or, keep the baseball the way it is now and look for a new plateau of power in the game, with corresponding records that make sense going forward.

Frankly, now that the damage has been done, the latter may be the way to go.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-01-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #187
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Of course, I don't resent extra home runs quite as much when Gardy and Ford hit them back-to-back in the bottom of the ninth for a comeback win over the A's! I loved Kahnle's running around, jumping around celebration in the bullpen. He went nuts.

- Bru

Old 09-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #188
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I don't get the folderol over the Yankees setting a new franchise season home run record. If it was September 30 when they did it, I'd be mildly excited but with 18 games to go, they are going to blow it away like the previous record was nothing. It's about the baseball, as we know. Heck, the Twins have already broken the MLB record that the Yankees simultaneously set last year and they have a chance to reach 300.

- Bru

Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #189
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Bru,

Glad to see you're still holding down the fort here. I keep forgetting to check in here while scouring through the mod forums for logos/unis/caps for the league I'm currently running.

At any rate, I'm the superstitious sort, so I won't be breaking out any party favors here just yet in celebration of what has developed to be one absolutely amazing and improbable season. Suffice it to say that in the 43 years I've been following baseball and the Yanks in particular, I don't believe I've seen a team suffer as many injuries as this one has and still contend, let alone dominate, the way this team has. Aaron Boone deserves the Manager of The Year Award for the job he's done with this team.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #190
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Bru,

Glad to see you're still holding down the fort here. I keep forgetting to check in here while scouring through the mod forums for logos/unis/caps for the league I'm currently running.

At any rate, I'm the superstitious sort, so I won't be breaking out any party favors here just yet in celebration of what has developed to be one absolutely amazing and improbable season. Suffice it to say that in the 43 years I've been following baseball and the Yanks in particular, I don't believe I've seen a team suffer as many injuries as this one has and still contend, let alone dominate, the way this team has. Aaron Boone deserves the Manager of The Year Award for the job he's done with this team.
Glad to have some company! I use this thread as a sort of diary of Yankees thoughts, hence my multiple posts, but for some reason I like to record my impressions here. It's as if they have a measure of permanence.

It's funny you mentioned Boone for MOTY. I'm watching the replay of last night's game (after having peaked at the online newspaper for results) and they just said that although Rocco Baldelli deserves some consideration, Boone has by far and away done an outstanding job managing this ballclub given what has happened this year.

I'm not a rabid, narrow-minded fan, but if there is a General Manager of the Year Award, Brian Cashman would deserve that as well. He also has made all the right moves this year.

One other thought about what I just read: The Yankees finished 14-5 against the Red Sox in 2019, a stunning turnaround from last season and recent times in general. Very gratifying, I must say.

Which does not lead me to gloat over Dave Dombrowski being fired, however. Late in the 2015 season, he takes over a team that finished last in the American League East. The next three seasons, they finish first, they win 108 games in 2018 and win a world championship. The team stumbles in 2019 and he's fired. There's even a headline out there about whether Alex Cora will be fired.

My allegiance to the New York Yankees is indelible. It has to be quite strong for me to keep coming back year after year to follow them, considering how dumb MLB is; that and my love of Baseball in general. I say "MLB" but I could say the same for all professional sports these days.

- Bru

Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #191
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
Glad to have some company! I use this thread as a sort of diary of Yankees thoughts, hence my multiple posts, but for some reason I like to record my impressions here. It's as if they have a measure of permanence.

It's funny you mentioned Boone for MOTY. I'm watching the replay of last night's game (after having peaked at the online newspaper for results) and they just said that although Rocco Baldelli deserves some consideration, Boone has by far and away done an outstanding job managing this ballclub given what has happened this year.

I'm not a rabid, narrow-minded fan, but if there is a General Manager of the Year Award, Brian Cashman would deserve that as well. He also has made all the right moves this year.

One other thought about what I just read: The Yankees finished 14-5 against the Red Sox in 2019, a stunning turnaround from last season and recent times in general. Very gratifying, I must say.

Which does not lead me to gloat over Dave Dombrowski being fired, however. Late in the 2015 season, he takes over a team that finished last in the American League East. The next three seasons, they finish first, they win 108 games in 2018 and win a world championship. The team stumbles in 2019 and he's fired. There's even a headline out there about whether Alex Cora will be fired.

My allegiance to the New York Yankees is indelible. It has to be quite strong for me to keep coming back year after year to follow them, considering how dumb MLB is; that and my love of Baseball in general. I say "MLB" but I could say the same for all professional sports these days.

I absolutely agree about Cashman winning the GM of the year award, if such a thing even exists. I know corporations often present their best, most loyal executives with an "Executive of The year" Award, but I think the scope of a sports GM's job, especially a NY Yankee GM, goes beyond the sort of administrative tasks normally associated with executive work.

And yeah, I'll admit, I can be a rabid, frothing, jackass of a fan at times. I've called for Cashman's cabeza many a time over the past 20+ years he's been the GM following bad trades, questionable signings, and for deals I thought the Yanks should've made (e.g. Losing the Yoan Moncada sweepstakes to the Sawx for a lousy $1 million dollars) that he just couldn't seem to put the finishing touches on. However, the job he's done over the past several years rebuilding this team into one of the superpowers of the MLB (and in record time too) is worthy of boundless praise. In particular, the job he's done this year cobbling together a winning team with a .650+ winning pct from what was, at times, spare parts and retreads is nothing short of stellar.

At any rate, like you said, this is no time to gloat. If the (seemingly inexplicable) Dombrowski firing a scant two years after he helped fashion yet another WS championship club proves anything its that all glory is fleeting. That could just as easily be Cashman's or Boone's head on a pike 6 months or a year from now.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #192
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking about Cashman after my last post. I'm sure that you know this but he's been GM since 1998. 1998! Twenty-one years ago. And he's only 52 now, so he was 31 when he got the job. Yeah, he's made mistakes but he must be doing many good things overall in that time to have this much longevity. Especially since he was working for George Steinbrenner for the first 7 years or so.

Wikipedia says that when Cashman was hired as GM, he "became the second-youngest general manager in MLB history." Who was the youngest? "Randy Smith, who was 29 years old when hired to be the San Diego Padres' general manager in 1993, was the youngest."

Randy Smith lasted two years in that job and six years with the Detroit Tigers, less than half the time that Cashman has served to date. Smith
works in the front office of the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters and is a scout for the Texas Rangers. Both jobs are no doubt much more secure than general manager.

- Bru

Old 09-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #193
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Encarnacion and Sanchez both out again with strains. You know, you just look at some of these guys - they really are out of condition and overweight. No wonder we have so many injuries these days.

Ford and Voit are two more like that. Every time I see either of them stretching to catch a throw at first, I am anticipating them pulling something.

I'm no lightweight myself but I am not a professional athlete. The only other place that I see such heifers is football (I'm talking major sports, so leave out sumo wrestling ) where every pound is prized on the offensive line. Baseball really has a lot of fatsos who really should be focused on losing weight and avoiding injuries, considering how much money they are paid.

- Bru

Old 09-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #194
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Encarnacion and Sanchez both out again with strains. You know, you just look at some of these guys - they really are out of condition and overweight. No wonder we have so many injuries these days.

Ford and Voit are two more like that. Every time I see either of them stretching to catch a throw at first, I am anticipating them pulling something.

I'm no lightweight myself but I am not a professional athlete. The only other place that I see such heifers is football (I'm talking major sports, so leave out sumo wrestling ) where every pound is prized on the offensive line. Baseball really has a lot of fatsos who really should be focused on losing weight and avoiding injuries, considering how much money they are paid.
This has come to the "You've got to be kidding me" stage.

Yankees announce Dellin Betances has torn Achilles tendon

How in holy heck to you tear an Achilles tendon by jumping for joy after a strikeout?

If I owned the team, I would fire the strength and conditioning coach out of sheer frustration, be it his fault or not.

What is wrong with today's athletes besides being too big for their muscles and joints? I'm not talking now just about being overweight but also perhaps being too bulked up.

Maybe having no strength and conditioning coach might be a better idea. That, and tighter drug testing.

- Bru

Old 09-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #195
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Do the Yankees have enough depth to make up for the loss of German?

https://www.mlb.com/news/domingo-ger...strative-leave

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...eave-dv-policy

Last edited by Bluenoser; 09-19-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #196
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Regular season, yes of course. Playoffs, no. It's only a 7-day leave and that would be fine if that were it. If there is a suspension to follow, however, that's going to be big trouble.

- Bru

Old 09-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #197
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

What an amazing season. Talk about overcoming adversity. I just wish it was anybody but the Minnesota Twins in the ALDS.

"The postseason has not been kind of late to the Twins, who have lost 13 consecutive playoff games -- 10 of them to the Yankees, who ended Minnesota’s seasons in 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010 and 2017."

Law of averages, don't you know. That, and I'd say this 2019 Twins team might be the best of all of them.

- Bru

Old 10-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #198
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I just wish it was anybody but the Minnesota Twins in the ALDS.
I feel more nervous even after yesterday's 10-4 victory in Game 1. They take Game 2 and maybe I will start to relax a bit. As a FAN. The players should never relax until the ALDS is in the bag. And then only for a couple of days . . .

- Bru

Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #199
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Oh, wow! They're up 8-0 after 3 innings. Right now, I'm with the hardhearted guys in the "Running up the score opinion" thread.

EDIT: That's all they needed, as it turned out. Final score 8-2. Good outing by Tanaka, steady relief by Kahnle and Ottavino, and Lyons and Loaisiga managed to give up only one run between them (Loaisiga). They're up 2-0 in a best of five series. No let up!

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-05-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #200
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

The Yankees keep patting themselves on the back about signing DJ LeMahieu, as they should, seeing that he's definitely the club's MVP this year and perhaps the league's. More accurately, Cashman gives credit to his staff, certain members of who pushed strongly for LeMahieu. He was reluctant in that the team was set for 1B, 2B, and 3B.

Well, we all know now with hindsight how that worked out. It was a darned good thing they had LeMahieu to step in with the revolving door to the training room spinning.

I'm not criticizing Cashman but I am congratulating his staff for having the foresight to see how a guy who could play good defense at three positions would probably have a steady job, given how frail players are these days. It it wasn't for LeMahieu, the Yankees would be playing in the wildcard game or already gone home by now.

- Bru