Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Articles About OOTP's Games

Articles About OOTP's Games Read and discuss OOTP's articles about the history of its games and the fans like you who have created unique worlds with them.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #21
breich90
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 109
Thanks: 5
Thanked 13x in 7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
Lowering the cash cap will stop teams having exorbitant profits year after year, however I prefer that as it models the English Premier League soccer quite well. Big teams (Man Utd, Chelsea etc.) have much bigger wage budgets than smaller teams so it pays for smaller teams not to exceed their budget. For instance, if you are weaker team in your PL (let's say the Atlanta Smoke as they have a much smaller budget) and you spend wisely, bringing in Free Agents on much very good wages and Atlanta builds up a nice little nest egg over 4 or 5 years then suddenly they have a much bigger budget to play with and could, theoretically at least, play with the big boys. The difference between a normal North American league set-up and P/R is you can't just tank for a few years and draft superstars to reach the top. To get to the top you have to spend wisely. Do you blow your budget in year 1 to ensure survival, or do you spend wisely, take a gamble on some players and possibly move further up the standings year after year? P/R leagues need a lot more forward planning, it's a real risk/reward type set-up.
This makes so much sense. Really clears up lots of our concern about the financial system.

Quote:
In my opinion setting hard budgets is counter-productive in a P/R league. Admittedly you are capping the strong teams from becoming too strong, but you are also handicapping the smaller teams, and their real life managers, who are budgeting correctly and turning losses intro profits.

Owners also play a big part, particularly in the lower divisions which is quite realistic when comparing it to the lower divisions in the English Soccer pyramid.

Cash happy owners will constantly pump money into the club, regardless of their financial footing whilst greedy owners will regularly take money away from the club, particularly when big profits are made.
I decided to make all the owners the same, to level the playing field in that respect. I didn't feel it was right for some teams to be handicapped because of their randomly generated owner. Also, I made every team's market size the same, and every team's interest and fan modifiers the same to start. Now, the game will tinker with those values as the team does good or bad. To account for promotion and relegation, I will manually adjust the fan interest/fan modifier to model good/bad performance in getting promoted/relegated.

Quote:
One more thing, is how many teams get promoted and relegated at the end of the season? Divisions of 10 teams should have no more than 2 teams getting relegated. Perhaps have the bottom PL team and top Silver League team gain automatic relegation/promotion whilst 9th placed PL team plays a 3-game series against the 2nd placed Silver League team to determine whether they survive or get relegated?
Right now, PL #10 and SL #1 get auto-promoted. A 1-game series between PL #9 @ PL #8 occurs to avoid relegation, while another 1-game series between SL #3 @ SL #2 occurs to get promoted.

Quote:
Just make sure the AI only judges players on ratings/attributes only and not on past statistics.

Of course, some teams in lower divisions will nab the odd star now and then and blow most of their budget in the process but this is quite rare I must be honest.

If there is anything else I can help you with then by all means feel free to ask.
I changed the ratings to what you said.

Thank you so very much for answering our league's questions. Your feedback did a great deal in helping us get the financials right (something that I've tinkered with since the league started). One unique aspect of the league that we added was the USBA Cup, modeled after the FA cup. We have a monthly break to play a 3-game series for an association-wide tournament. I'll be awarding cash to top performers. I'll also be awarding (or deducting) fan interest based on how well the team would be expected to do in the tournament.
breich90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Nugget699 (02-17-2014)
Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
agrimsley
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 44
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11x in 8 posts
Sorry to drag this thread out of the archives but this is a style of league that I am attempting to create for my own single player league.

Just a few queries I have around some of the intricacies I've come across while running some tests:
- How do you prevent a non-rookie from winning Rookie of the Year when making their first appearance in a league? e.g. a huge batter started out in the second tier and then signed for a top tier team as a free agent after 3 seasons. In his first year in the top tier, he won ROTY but he wasn't necessarily a "rookie" as such.
- At what point do you perform the promotion and relegation and how is this done? I have my amateur draft scheduled to take place in the offseason so ideally the newly promoted team would pick #1 in their new tier and the relegated team picks last in their new tier.

These seem to be a couple of the foibles I've come across while using OOTP16 to set this up.
agrimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #23
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer
 
chucksabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: In the canyons of your mind
Posts: 2,932
Thanks: 641
Thanked 1,088x in 600 posts
I've been running my league in OOTP 14. I don't know whether it is substantially different in 16, which i am going to try to migrate the league to, but here's how I handle it.

To control ROY, it helps to manually manage the awards. I ask the computer to choose when I get there, but if you see a non-League rookie win a division's rookie of the year simply because they are new to the level, you simply move the next true rookie in the voting up to win the award. If all of the finalists are not true rookies, you will have to find the best true rookie and move them manual into the award's top spot to win. Keep a sharp eye out, because most of the time a non-rookie wins when their team is promoted or relegated, but if you allow trading between divisions, sometimes an ROY can sneak through that way. And if you accidentally close the voting without checking the award, it will be too late because the game does not allow you to go back and manually change it.

On promotion and relegation, make the changes the very first day of the offseason.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #24
agrimsley
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 44
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11x in 8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I've been running my league in OOTP 14. I don't know whether it is substantially different in 16, which i am going to try to migrate the league to, but here's how I handle it.

To control ROY, it helps to manually manage the awards. I ask the computer to choose when I get there, but if you see a non-League rookie win a division's rookie of the year simply because they are new to the level, you simply move the next true rookie in the voting up to win the award. If all of the finalists are not true rookies, you will have to find the best true rookie and move them manual into the award's top spot to win. Keep a sharp eye out, because most of the time a non-rookie wins when their team is promoted or relegated, but if you allow trading between divisions, sometimes an ROY can sneak through that way. And if you accidentally close the voting without checking the award, it will be too late because the game does not allow you to go back and manually change it.

On promotion and relegation, make the changes the very first day of the offseason.
Thanks for the reply. So in my league, the season tends to finish 27th August so you would move the teams on the 28th? Would this not exclude players on those teams from the awards voting that is still to take place?
agrimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #25
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer
 
chucksabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: In the canyons of your mind
Posts: 2,932
Thanks: 641
Thanked 1,088x in 600 posts
Whatever your game tells you the first day of your offseason is, that's when you move them. Do your awards voting first, though.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #26
MBarrett
All Star Reserve
 
MBarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 556
Thanks: 282
Thanked 344x in 197 posts
Wow, this is fantastic! Not to derail the thread, but how hard is it to create a fictional world with fictional nations, flags, etc?

I figure since I stick to fictional players and teams, I might as well go all the way and try a fictional world too.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #27
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer
 
darkcloud4579's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,670
Blog Entries: 32
Thanks: 977
Thanked 1,148x in 808 posts
It's not that bad. I've done it in multiple versions. Even included SimCity in one. Takes as much time as you want to invest in it.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #28
breich90
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 109
Thanks: 5
Thanked 13x in 7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrimsley View Post
Sorry to drag this thread out of the archives but this is a style of league that I am attempting to create for my own single player league.

Just a few queries I have around some of the intricacies I've come across while running some tests:
- How do you prevent a non-rookie from winning Rookie of the Year when making their first appearance in a league? e.g. a huge batter started out in the second tier and then signed for a top tier team as a free agent after 3 seasons. In his first year in the top tier, he won ROTY but he wasn't necessarily a "rookie" as such.
- At what point do you perform the promotion and relegation and how is this done? I have my amateur draft scheduled to take place in the offseason so ideally the newly promoted team would pick #1 in their new tier and the relegated team picks last in their new tier.

These seem to be a couple of the foibles I've come across while using OOTP16 to set this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I've been running my league in OOTP 14. I don't know whether it is substantially different in 16, which i am going to try to migrate the league to, but here's how I handle it.

To control ROY, it helps to manually manage the awards. I ask the computer to choose when I get there, but if you see a non-League rookie win a division's rookie of the year simply because they are new to the level, you simply move the next true rookie in the voting up to win the award. If all of the finalists are not true rookies, you will have to find the best true rookie and move them manual into the award's top spot to win. Keep a sharp eye out, because most of the time a non-rookie wins when their team is promoted or relegated, but if you allow trading between divisions, sometimes an ROY can sneak through that way. And if you accidentally close the voting without checking the award, it will be too late because the game does not allow you to go back and manually change it.

On promotion and relegation, make the changes the very first day of the offseason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
Whatever your game tells you the first day of your offseason is, that's when you move them. Do your awards voting first, though.
This is wrong. If you move the teams before the standings reset, then you screw up your league histories, i.e. a team that you promote will have their previous season record in the new league for that same season.
breich90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #29
breich90
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 109
Thanks: 5
Thanked 13x in 7 posts
Typically the changeover date is January 1, unless you manually edit the event schedule.
breich90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #30
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer
 
chucksabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: In the canyons of your mind
Posts: 2,932
Thanks: 641
Thanked 1,088x in 600 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breich90 View Post
This is wrong. If you move the teams before the standings reset, then you screw up your league histories, i.e. a team that you promote will have their previous season record in the new league for that same season.
Are you sure about that? Because I have been doing promotions and relegations on the first day of the offseason practically from the beginning, and all of my league history looks fine. Sure, when you first make the move, you will see your promoted clubs in the higher league's table right away, but when you play it through from that point and then go back and look at the season's table in League History, those promoted clubs will still be shown in their lower league's table, not in the higher league's table. At least that's how it works in my league. I tested for that before I went forward with it.

In any event, my goal is to have teams go into the offseason in their leagues already, so that they make the moves (trades, signing, etc.) appropriate to their level.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
dynaboyj (04-15-2015), tlowe77 (11-29-2016)
Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #31
breich90
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 109
Thanks: 5
Thanked 13x in 7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
Are you sure about that? Because I have been doing promotions and relegations on the first day of the offseason practically from the beginning, and all of my league history looks fine. Sure, when you first make the move, you will see your promoted clubs in the higher league's table right away, but when you play it through from that point and then go back and look at the season's table in League History, those promoted clubs will still be shown in their lower league's table, not in the higher league's table. At least that's how it works in my league. I tested for that before I went forward with it.

In any event, my goal is to have teams go into the offseason in their leagues already, so that they make the moves (trades, signing, etc.) appropriate to their level.
Moves need to occur after the preseason starts, otherwise, yes, the promoted team's record shows up in the higher league's history for the previous year.
breich90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #32
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer
 
chucksabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: In the canyons of your mind
Posts: 2,932
Thanks: 641
Thanked 1,088x in 600 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breich90 View Post
Moves need to occur after the preseason starts, otherwise, yes, the promoted team's record shows up in the higher league's history for the previous year.
OK, well, I don't know why yours shows up different. Different version, maybe? I used 14 and 16 for mine.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
tlowe77 (11-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #33
Rain King
All Star Reserve
 
Rain King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 595
Thanks: 371
Thanked 309x in 202 posts
I have had the same results as you have chuck.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
chucksabr (01-29-2016), tlowe77 (11-29-2016)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments