Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #61
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)

Better and more realistic player development. Players go from 60-80 potential to absolute scrubs too often, and too quickly.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #62
spartacus007
Minors (Triple A)

Teams being able to play in multiple tournaments and minor league/feeder league teams able to play in tournaments are the only major changes I'm hoping for... But OOTP usually surprises me with more

Historical Mode:
OOTP 24 (Challenge Mode)
⚾ 1901-19 Reds: 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🏆🏆🏆🏆
FHM 10
🏒 1909-18 Wanderers: 🏆
🏒 1918-19: Arenas/St. Patricks: 🏆🏆
spartacus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 AM   #63
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I struggle to come up with many things that the standard game lacks that you really, really needs.
I can name a major one: a comprehensive playoff customization system which not only is able to recreate all the playoff formats currently used by real-world leagues* but also allows a huge range of fictional, user-created formats.

I have such a system mostly worked out. I'll hopefully get it written up and pitched to Matt & co. later this week.

*For several of the real-world leagues included in OOTP, their actual playoff formats cannot be recreated at present and have to be simplified/fictionalized.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #64
jfb8300
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I struggle to come up with many things that the standard game lacks that you really, really needs.
It doesn't need new features, really. Just massive refinements.

Personnel needs completely redone. Why does it take 3 clicks PER coach to see they relationship status to your team, and how good they are at development? Why does a coach spend his entire life at one level in the minors? Never promoted, never poached.

Filters are not nearly sufficient. Every stat is the game should be filterable, including injury proneness.

Feeders needs rebuilt from the bottom up and player development needs a massive overhaul. Both go hand in hand, as the game is not keeping up with the modern day MLB trend toward youth and college draftees. In real life 65% of draftees are from college. In OOTP 65% come from High School. In MLB, the age curve of players, particularly pitchers, is 2 YEARS younger than OOTP. I'll leave the following graph here one more time.

And in relation to that, contracts need fixed. Teams are not giving 30+ year old players 10 years contracts anymore. OOTP AI does. And for huge $$ at that. Makes dominating the AI in single player incredibly easy. AI also does not factor in injury proneness when making trades or FA signings.

Attached Images
jfb8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #65
LK3185
Bat Boy

Decided to wait to buy my first OOTP with OOTP 20 and just sample demos til then. i'm pretty excited.
LK3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 AM   #66
LK3185
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConStar View Post
I'll give you 3 I'd like to see...

2) The ability to uncouple the draft class from the game so that you could upload draft classes into games started under older versions of OOTP and subsequently upgraded. What's going to happen to me when 20 comes out is that I'm still going to be playing a league I started in OOTP13 and have since upgraded to 14, 15, etc., as I've bought the new versions. I don't want to restart the game in 20 as I would lose my universe. But I'm increasingly having to deal with fictional players, because I don't have access anymore to the real draft classes. There are some guys playing MLB right now that aren't in my game at all. So I need the functionality to be able to merge the OOTP20 draft class into an upgraded OOTP13 game, played under OOTP20. Every time I make this suggestion, someone shoots it down as "OOTP isn't going to let people use current draft classes in old games because no one would ever buy the new game then," which isn't what I'm asking to do. There seems to be some lack of reading comprehension on their part.

Wait, you end up with fictional players in your league if you don't start a new game after every version? That's pretty dumb to me.
LK3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #67
zappa1
All Star Starter

I thought we were going to get pants this time around.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #68
texasmame
All Star Starter

You just made my sig.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #69
low
Hall Of Famer

Feeders need a lot of love and have for a long time.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #70
Dukesilver
Bat Boy

Quote:
This isn't the place for suggestions, but cmon. This game doesn't even really have a way for the AI to create new stadiums (in 2050 the A's shouldn't be still playing in the Coliseum). Also having dynamic and smart AI player agents is a necessary feature imo... there's a never ending list of things this game needs.
Dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #71
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2) The ability to uncouple the draft class from the game so that you could upload draft classes into games started under older versions of OOTP and subsequently upgraded. What's going to happen to me when 20 comes out is that I'm still going to be playing a league I started in OOTP13 and have since upgraded to 14, 15, etc., as I've bought the new versions. I don't want to restart the game in 20 as I would lose my universe. But I'm increasingly having to deal with fictional players, because I don't have access anymore to the real draft classes. There are some guys playing MLB right now that aren't in my game at all. So I need the functionality to be able to merge the OOTP20 draft class into an upgraded OOTP13 game, played under OOTP20. Every time I make this suggestion, someone shoots it down as "OOTP isn't going to let people use current draft classes in old games because no one would ever buy the new game then," which isn't what I'm asking to do. There seems to be some lack of reading comprehension on their part.
More generally the ability to import draft classes from CSVs would be pretty cool.

Quote:
3) Split-squad rules in spring training games.
Definitely. That alone would make Spring Training far more realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I can name a major one: a comprehensive playoff customization system which not only is able to recreate all the playoff formats currently used by real-world leagues* but also allows a huge range of fictional, user-created formats.

I have such a system mostly worked out. I'll hopefully get it written up and pitched to Matt & co. later this week.

*For several of the real-world leagues included in OOTP, their actual playoff formats cannot be recreated at present and have to be simplified/fictionalized.
Glad to see you still pushing for this, LGO.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #72
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
Decided to wait to buy my first OOTP with OOTP 20 and just sample demos til then. i'm pretty excited.

say your goodbyes to the outside world now.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #73
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Glad to see you still pushing for this, LGO.
It's something around five years in the making. I've worked on it piecemeal, off and on over that time. There are still a few playoff formats I've yet to nail, but just about everything else is doable. If you can imagine it, you can probably create it.

However, it is definitely an 'advanced user' feature. There is a hefty learning curve involved, since the user has to construct the playoff format file outside the game (similar to the way the best custom regular season schedules are created outside OOTP itself). But I would say it is easier than creating a schedule file, once the elements of the system are understood. Just like with regular season schedule files, the game could ship with playoff format files for each league, and users could create their own playoff format files and share them with others.

Best of all, the system is easily adaptable for use in FHM or BTS (if that game ever gets completed).
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #74
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

I would love to see a pregame report from the pitching coach, telling you how many pitches each pitcher should be good for instead of the %
Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #75
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

If this is a wish list thread now, then let me just leave 2 very modest, probably doable wishes...

(1) When running a fantasy/inaugural/first year player draft, it would be nice if you could make the scouting recommendation "filterable." That is to say you want to use the scout's recommendation, but maybe you really want to take a 3B with this particular pick, you could have the scout choose a player from that position group. A little check box or option would be nice to guide the scout's recommendation here.

(2) For the life of me, I still can't figure out why the stuff rating is displayed inconsistently on the player cards. OK, if you swap a pitcher back and forth from RP and SP, that makes a difference. If a player is scouted at a different level, that makes a difference. But, when no changes have been made and it says the pitcher's stuff = 88 in one location and = 77 in another spot on the same page, this really doesn't make sense to me. This doesn't happen with movement or control ratings, making me think this is a bug and not a design.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 AM   #76
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Does anyone think the game should provide the opportunity for more interaction, both voluntary and compulsory- as goes responses -with the game, its personnel, maybe financial or scouting advisors, the scouts themselves?
No. Absolutely not. Please don't motivate them to copy all the things that make Football Manager such a terrible thing to play.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:29 AM   #77
DanKreider
Minors (Double A)

I would like to see a deeper Scouting system in place! I've always thought it would be interesting to add an option where Scouting a player 100% would require sending out your basic scouts, which would get you to a certain percentage of knowledge, followed by sending out cross checkers (or second level scouts) then followed by higher up Assistant GMs etc, and to get a fully comprehensive look and feel for a player, you (being the player) would scout that player by watching a certain amount of their games (be it one game or multiple).

It would obviously need to be toggle-able, but I think it would add immersion to give us reasons to watch minor league games, watch games in other leagues, scout and watch Fall League or Winter League, and to keep an eye on our own lower levels (our knowledge of even our own players does not constantly stay at 100% if we are not keeping half an eye on them).

(the idea being that 100% knowledge of a player is not necessarily getting a exact 100% truthful analysis of players skills, but that you have a full idea of what your scouting team believes that player to be - if that makes any sense)

You could add things like knowledge levels waning over time, having to actually put your scouts in certain physical locations (if a scout is following around player x prior to trade deadline, than he is not available to go and watch player y). --> I've often thought this would be interesting for the actual player as well. To almost have a schedule, where if my Padres are playing in San Diego, but I want to go watch some games in, lets say, Arizona, I would need to take into account travel time, or physical location. It would add a new level of control for a GM, with some level of skill and knowledge required to do it well, especially with smaller staffs.

Last edited by DanKreider; 01-29-2019 at 03:31 AM.
DanKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #78
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom View Post
Will there be pie?
If you play historical, yes, Felix will import in 2007.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #79
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKreider View Post
I would like to see a deeper Scouting system in place! I've always thought it would be interesting to add an option where Scouting a player 100% would require sending out your basic scouts, which would get you to a certain percentage of knowledge, followed by sending out cross checkers (or second level scouts) then followed by higher up Assistant GMs etc, and to get a fully comprehensive look and feel for a player, you (being the player) would scout that player by watching a certain amount of their games (be it one game or multiple).

It would obviously need to be toggle-able, but I think it would add immersion to give us reasons to watch minor league games, watch games in other leagues, scout and watch Fall League or Winter League, and to keep an eye on our own lower levels (our knowledge of even our own players does not constantly stay at 100% if we are not keeping half an eye on them).

(the idea being that 100% knowledge of a player is not necessarily getting a exact 100% truthful analysis of players skills, but that you have a full idea of what your scouting team believes that player to be - if that makes any sense)

You could add things like knowledge levels waning over time, having to actually put your scouts in certain physical locations (if a scout is following around player x prior to trade deadline, than he is not available to go and watch player y). --> I've often thought this would be interesting for the actual player as well. To almost have a schedule, where if my Padres are playing in San Diego, but I want to go watch some games in, lets say, Arizona, I would need to take into account travel time, or physical location. It would add a new level of control for a GM, with some level of skill and knowledge required to do it well, especially with smaller staffs.
The scouting system had a lot of this years ago, but it was taken out due to an overwhelming desire from the community to simplify the scouting process. Personally, I felt like I was spending way too much time making sure my scouts were actually doing things and less time focusing on my actual team.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #80
Jocko_Doubleday
Bat Boy

I'm hyped!
Jocko_Doubleday is offline   Reply With Quote