Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Becoming a top payroll team

I started a dynasty with the Braves about 24-25 payroll in baseball. I'm in year 4 we are in first place and we won the world series in year 3. I did sign Bryce harper at 29m a year for 5 years Freddie freeman on an expiring contract at the end of the season at 22 mil but then I don't have anybody else even making 10 mil. I let the computer set ticket prices and they keep moving them up and we have had top 5 attendance years. I'm only up to like 19th in payroll and cant resign freeman. How do you become a top payroll team so I will be able to make guys like freeman lifelong braves. I'm in the division with the nationals and every year they are making huge free agent signings yet I cant even have 3 decent sized contracts. What am I missing??
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
nroyce1
Minors (Single A)

screenshot your front office screen

#Brycecheats family of leagues
and other universes

nroyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Well, your budget is based on your revenue, so you need to get more revenue. But Atlanta isn't really a big market, so unless if your owner changes to a much more generous one, odds are you're not going to be able to be a top payroll team until a long run of success.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

start controlling ticket price. you can create more revenues than the AI will... this will help the budget rise as you make more the previous year.

a good tip in successful windows of time: unless things changed: bump season ticket price to 1.5x or even 2x your normal end of year ticket price that ~fills the stadium or maximizes profit (not necesarily the same thing value). bump it back down for reg season price.. BUT, as you win more games start testing the waters for increasing ticket price as the season goes and maintain same attendance.

e.g. lets say i am getting 42k / 45k @ $30 regular season ticket price the first month (excludes opening day and weekd vs weekend are 2 different values to reach same attendance, fwiw - ignoring weekend vs weekday to save time/effort in example)

at some point you see a shift in attendance.. all of a sudden you see 44k or SRO @ $30, not related to weekday vs weekend. as long as you don't got on a long losing streak, you can likely bump up ticket prices and make more money per game - even if attendance drops back to ~42k/45k as it was before..

use the shift in resulting attendance to detarmine when you can bump up the price and maintain #'s in the seats.. = more revenue. you will start to be able to predict when you can do this and after how many wins+games you have in season. more success = faster increase over the year and a higher ceiling that you can attain.

a bumpy year in w/l column? probably can't increase tickets or if you do, may need to dropthem back down if you start to lose too much. it will be a function of sucess and how far into season you are.

you will earn more if you start out fast and build up that 'fervor' than having a 20gam win streak at the end to barely make the playoffs. financially speakingn you can earn more if that 20game win streak happens earlier in the year in OotP.
i bet you can increase it by 20-30M above and beyond what hte AI can get in yearly revenue, if you optimize all revenue streams. i guess that's just season ticket prices and reg season prices, lol. the rest is out of your control -- like media contracts and merch revenue. that's solely about market size and success if it isn't constant (nat'l media contract is constant in default).

size of stadium will matter.. e.g. a 54k stadium and a ~.600 winpct should be able to make ~$140+M gate revenue or more. that's only ~$32 average ticket price... (use calculus to determin optimal price for season ticket.. hint: it's WAY higher than what you charge in april)

you can see the max local media money you can get buy editing team interest etc.. then checking future contracts on accounting... it can sway due to success, but not a huge amount.. especially for a smaller market. try to remember min/max values for your local media contract and gauge how well you expect to do for future values of that contract when it expires.

like matt said, you've just kinda hit the ceiling with ai control and your market size.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-17-2018 at 03:39 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Galeg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
start controlling ticket price. you can create more revenues than the AI will... this will help the budget rise as you make more the previous year.

i bet you can increase it by 20-30M if you optimize all revenue streams. i guess that's just season ticket prices and reg season prices, lol. the rest is out of your control -- like media contracts and merch revenue. that's solely about market size and success if it isn't constant (nat'l media contract is constant in default).

you can see the max local media money you can get buy editing team interest etc.. then checking future contracts on accounting... it can sway due to success, but not a huge amount.. especially for a smaller market. try to remember min/max values for your local media contract and gauge how well you expect to do for future values of that contract when it expires.

like matt said, you've just kinda hit the ceiling with ai control and your market size.
So like real life tank prices for mid week/"boring" opponents and hike them for weekends and the playoff run in?
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i don't know how well it scales buy usualyl ~$2 less for weekday vs fri-sat-sun.

games played vs Wins (or winpct)... it will shift upward or downward as time goes as far as what ticket price results in what attendance. ihave not tried to map it out perfectly, but you could know this down to the # of games and # of wins related to team interest and such.

it takes me a few years, but once i learn a ceiling to my revenue, i fix it.. i'm bored of that stuff quickly, lol. it's tediious and repetitive. if the ai can't do it competently for me, i learn then i jsut adjsut whatever i need to for my team for a static ticket price to make that revenue, lol.. .totally cheating, but i short myself ~$5-10 million from what i can do if i control it by hand each year and call it square. probably saves my 15mins or more per ootp calendar year.

biggest thing is to gouge on your season ticket prices, becaues it won't cost you total attendance... there's a break-even point where the drop in season tickets will not warrant the increase in price -- this is the longest process to hammer out, becaue oyu can only really do this 1 time the day after winter meeting end... that initialy estimate of total sold... changing it after this point gives less useful info.. not saying you shuldn't adjust if it's too low, but evnetualyl you will know the estimate based on $ and fan interest level.

i think somwhere near 1/3rd of attendance should maximize it, if it scales to all park sizes... i use 54-56k stadiums. i don't worry so much about hte last 500k-1m potential revenue

Last edited by NoOne; 04-17-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
Galeg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
probably saves my 15mins or more per ootp calendar year.
LOL. I spent 4 hours last night on the last two days approaching the trade deadline. I'm rebuilding so losing out on some cash doesn't really matter at this point, but I'd like to try to keep season tickets and interest in a decent spot. So you're saying ticket prices will not affect season ticket sales?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
geoffmatt17
Major Leagues

To echo what everyone else has said... micromanage the ticket prices. As Matt noted, budget (how much you can spend) is based on how much revenue you generate, and the only CONTROLLABLE piece of that pie is ticket sales.
geoffmatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

In OOTP 18 I played as the Oakland A's for 40+ seasons and 10 championships in that span and never once had a top 10 budget. Just a factor of being small market
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you will sell less season tickets, but make more money off that portion of sales...

the ticket price you set in regular season will fill it up regardless of how many you see of season ticket prices. so, even if you sell 1 season ticket, you can still have max capacity... Also, this doesn't effect the price you have to set it at...

e.g. lets say april 20th (not opening day, but early) it takes $26 to get max capacity attendance. the number of season tickets sold will not affect this. it will affect profit, of course... selling too few will be outweighed by teh differential loss between season tick price andn # of thos sold vs 26*seats lost due to too high of a season ticket cost etc...

not saying max capacity is best for total revenue either.. it might be.. it's defintiely ~near that point and you probably like leading league in attendance .. ego thing... i do

it's not all gravy. you could make less by pricing season tickets up too high.. 2 independent variable require a bit of calculus to maximize profit.

no worries if you don't want to find data points and do the math.. simply compare similar loyalty/interest years and the resulting Revenues... keep increasing season ticket price as long as you make more revenue... if it dips for reasons not related to less loyalty or interest, you know you went too far on upping your season tickets.

once my team is in the playoffs every year, i do nearly double my season ticket price. this sells ~1/3rd of capacity. it's near optimum, but not saying it is optimum, lol... i get lazy about the last few million. didn't take note of data points to figure it out 100%. just eye-balled it.

this may be due to an inordinate amount of wins.. you probably don't want to start out at ~double... and you probably can only do this in seasons with high fany loyalty and interest.

in losing seasons, it is very likely taht quantity will outweight a preumium price relative to total gate revenues... compare lost seats to gain in ticket price... lose 2000 attendance, but 2 more dollars, that's a net gain in all but extreme cases..

(say it's 30k vs 28k @ 30 / 28 ticket price - lets say 14k were season tickets... to evaluate this you first you have to deduce season tickets sold.. so 16k and 14k seats. 14k*30 = $42,000 but you lose 2000seats @ 28 wwhich is a 56k loss. not a good choice in this exmaple.. this is the dynamic you learn during regular season. and you can see the mess it makes when you try toconsider optimal season tickets sold )

to do it perfectly you'd have to setup the equation and figure out the dynamics... rate of change per $ andinterst etc etc... you don't even have to udnerstand the math after that.. use a graphing calculator and pick out the peak.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-18-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
Galeg
Major Leagues

Yeah I am having a terrible season. Dropped my ticket prices from the AI recommended 20.75 to 18.00 and attendance jumped about 6000 each game.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

okay, but is it worth it?

6000 more seats at the new ticket price - easy multiplication..

but, consider the income you lost on the other seats -- priceA*seatsA - priceB*seatsB ('A' being newer values). subtact that and if it's a positive # then it was a good choice relative to increasing income. if it is negative you have cost yourself revenue even though you sold more seats. (don't count season ticket sales in this calculation, i kept it simple but oyu have to subtract that first)

less convoluted then previous post: Focus on Average Ticket price at end of the season.. if your methods result in an increase compared to similar loyalty/interest years, you should continue to do that or even do it more.

that's how i eye-balled it. i kept increasing season ticket - regular season plus 5, then plus 10, eventualy nearly double and it was still increasing my revenues each year while i maintained similar fan interest and loyalty.

i don't know if my settings are default anymore ...

31000 attendance baseline and
$26.00 baseline ticket price.
not default- no revenue sharing of gate income.. definitely not default, but not relevant to this.

last year i had an average ticket price of 49.23. at the start of the year, if i want a full house i cannot price that ticket anywhere near 49.23. it only gets there because i can raid it throughout year, plus charging premium on season ticket price. i've had it higher, but i don't really try anymore, lol.. i adjusted market size to hit my normal revenue and ignore it now.

that's january 1st, i set season ticket ~double and then reduce opening day. normally i would increase throughout year and get a higher average ticket price than what is listed.

56k stadium.. all of this will scale.. even if you can't set it as high...

in bad years you may need to do the opposite to increase revenues.. trial and error.. if you end up with alower season ticket price average at end of year, do somethign different. experiment.

i clear 210-220M from gate revenue.. if i left it at ~36 i'd have roughly 73% of that (36/49) or 150-160M... by thinking outside the box i add ~50M of revenue compared to static reg/season ticket pricing. if stadium is smaller, it'll scale to that too. 75% les seats, 75% of the income compared to 56k.

with a 42k stadium give or take.. should have a goal of ~140M (**edit reduced 10M to 140) in years with high loyalty/interest. give or take a small amount.
Attached Images

Last edited by NoOne; 04-18-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
Galeg
Major Leagues

True, but I haven't been doing the math because at the moment my fan interest is not great (55/80?) and my owner wants me to grow attendance to 35k within a few year (currently 24k). Money isn't currently an issue I just didn't realize that a relatively small price adjustment would swing attendance so much. I imagined that fan interest would be a much bigger factor.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, and keep checking it... up it 50cents or soemthing etc.. eke out as much as you can while maintaining a capacity that your owner whats etc...

the $ value won't always be the same.. but, capacity will work in similar ways ... notice the tiers.. a value wil get you SRO - max within a few hundred... slightly higher ticket price(s) will be ~95-97% (made up #'s but a 'tier' that sets a specific range of resulting seats sold) etc... if just 1 penny lower it could jump down to next tier of filling seats... a range of ticket prices will result in roughly the same # of seats sold... you want to find the upper limit of that range.

weekday vs weekend remember the difference you need to reduce/add to maintain the levels.

it does matter a bit, even in down years.. it won't take as long for your budget to increase if it's already maximized relative to fan interest and loyalty... less lag time as you increase them etc.

ie you'll have that "extra" 20M a year early potentially and that could be key to going from ~nearly playoff to perennial playoff team. or just mediocre-> playoff caliber etc.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 AM   #15
elerein
Bat Boy

payroll

Payroll calculations are defined as the various numbers and processes that are performed by an employer, the sum of which equals an employee's pay. An employer calculates payroll by calculating gross wages and litebllue epayroll login deductions, to arrive at an employee's net pay.

Last edited by elerein; 06-26-2019 at 02:31 AM.
elerein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #16
Pavan355
Bat Boy

hey
you will earn more if you start out fast and build up that 'fervor' than having a 20gam win streak at the end to barely make the playoffs. financially speakingn you can earn more if that 20game win streak happens earlier in the year in OotP.
Pavan355 is offline   Reply With Quote