Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Which does the better job of putting you in the manager's chair?, which has the better all around AI
OOTP 14 67 54.47%
Football Manager 2013 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Yes, this is the same sentiment I have. I find myself wishing OOTP was on the level of FM, (as if it were I would never leave the house again) but the reality of the situation is, it just isn't. A few versions ago I may have argued differently, but I just feel like FM has really made some long strides over the last couple of versions. It has streamlined everything, filled in the holes, and built on top of solid foundations. OOTP has made some strong steps also, but I just don't feel it measures up to the same quality FM does. I'm not really sure it's ever going to either. I keep telling myself it will someday, but the reality of it is, I don't think it will. It may keep making strides, but it feels like SI will always be ahead of the curve regardless. It also appears to me that Markus doesn't really want to create the same type of detail modeled in FM...why can't say that definitively, but it just seems that way to me. I hope I am wrong.
I'm clueless when it comes to soccer so FM would never be my cup of tea. I do have a question about it though. Does anyone play it simply for the love of the game soccer, or is strictly a management sim? The beauty of OOTP is the fact that the game of baseball is still it's number one focus. If one doesn't want to be the next Dave Dombrowski they can still get wrapped up in all the great numbers and memories the game creates.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #22
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm clueless when it comes to soccer so FM would never be my cup of tea. I do have a question about it though. Does anyone play it simply for the love of the game soccer, or is strictly a management sim? The beauty of OOTP is the fact that the game of baseball is still it's number one focus. If one doesn't want to be the next Dave Dombrowski they can still get wrapped up in all the great numbers and memories the game creates.
It's not a matter of which sport you prefer...it's about which really puts you in the manager's chair. I too know much more about baseball over futbol, however after having played FM and reading and watching tutorials, I feel I am gaining knowledge everyday, and in doing so, realizing the stark contrast between the two. After gaining a certain amount of "know-how" in FM, you begin to realize how naked OOTP really is.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Well, it all depends what you want out of the game. FM is a much more structured and polished management sim... I don't think anybody familiar with both games would argue that. That said, OOTP is much more of an open ended sandbox where you can create all kinds of fictional and historical leagues... run them for decades or centuries

One game brings a bunch of great apples to market... the other brings a bunch of great oranges.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

I know a bit more about football than I know about baseball. I follow it more closely. But I can't enjoy FM as much as I do OOTP. I still like it very much, but I wouldn't call it very realistic. All the things people go on about--press interaction, training, etc--I just find them tedious.
The tactics are still clumsy. The stats are way over the top. Your captain, a product of your team's academy, wins all sorts of silverware but never becomes a club legend because he's a fullback and the game only acknowledges goals and assists? Right.

Plus it's too easy, even playing LLM. The only appeal of the game, for me, is playing as United and trying a build a squad with academy players and only UK and Irish signings.

But last I played was '11. I bought '13 and haven't got into it yet. Started a game and it just seemed like it was more of the same.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
After gaining a certain amount of "know-how" in FM, you begin to realize how naked OOTP really is.
That's how I felt about FM after playing OOTP. I think the customization options did it for me.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Shocked at the poll results. I'm second to none in my love for OOTP, and in fact spend far more time modding for OOTP than for FM and far more time hanging out here than at SI, though maybe more time playing FM.

But even given all that, it's not a contest. FM wins going away. It's like comparing the Red Bull or Ferrari F1 car to, I dunno, a Ferrari GT car or something. The GT car is better and faster than 99.99% of all the cars in existence, but it can't even begin to match the F1 car. In fact the two aren't even in the same league.

OOTP is easily in the top five games I've ever played. And is better than every sports sim made. Except one, which just happens to be pretty much the perfect game. FM.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyer View Post
Well, it all depends what you want out of the game. FM is a much more structured and polished management sim... I don't think anybody familiar with both games would argue that. That said, OOTP is much more of an open ended sandbox where you can create all kinds of fictional and historical leagues... run them for decades or centuries

One game brings a bunch of great apples to market... the other brings a bunch of great oranges.
If you are someone who just wants to play a modern day league (MLB or say MLS), and be the Manager/General Manager, which puts you in the chair? That's really my question I guess.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC1878 View Post
I know a bit more about football than I know about baseball. I follow it more closely. But I can't enjoy FM as much as I do OOTP. I still like it very much, but I wouldn't call it very realistic. All the things people go on about--press interaction, training, etc--I just find them tedious.
The tactics are still clumsy. The stats are way over the top. Your captain, a product of your team's academy, wins all sorts of silverware but never becomes a club legend because he's a fullback and the game only acknowledges goals and assists? Right.

Plus it's too easy, even playing LLM. The only appeal of the game, for me, is playing as United and trying a build a squad with academy players and only UK and Irish signings.

But last I played was '11. I bought '13 and haven't got into it yet. Started a game and it just seemed like it was more of the same.

The whole point of this thread was to compare the newest versions since then. FM 13 and OOTP 14 have both grown quite a bit since then. If you are not up on the current versions, your points are moot I'm afraid.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Yeah it really does take different moods for me to play one or the other, they satisfy different cravings I guess. I love that my OOTP league spans many years, I can go from season to season with relative quickness and have more control over the league in mid stream.

FM tho, that really puts you in the chair of running a club. Not even that, but running an organization. The newest version you can re-structure the club, create positions and choose what they are in charge of, or you can just fire everyone and run the whole dang operation yourself.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
mrking81012
Minors (Single A)

For me FM is probably a more complete sim HOWEVER ootp wins for me easily. Why?

Online leagues.

FM lacks big time when it comes to this. ootp you can have a full 30 team leauge all with humans trading and doing FA/Draft, etc. In FM you're lucky to get a few people before the game slows down. And they need to be online at the same time to play (no export option). For me this is a deal breaker.
mrking81012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
oh look. Another thread where people are mad at each other.
roflmao.........................................z
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you are someone who just wants to play a modern day league (MLB or say MLS), and be the Manager/General Manager, which puts you in the chair? That's really my question I guess.
Would anyone that's not interested in being a manager/gm play FM? For example...Dreamteams-Metro Leagues. Eugene Church Ruthlandia/TyCobbia I know this expands on your question, but so be it.

Last edited by David Watts; 08-22-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Would anyone that's not interested in being a manager/gm play FM? For example...Dreamteams-Metro Leagues. Eugene Church Ruthlandia/TyCobbia
I would think not, but they might OOTP...and I guess the real question is: why is that?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would think not, but they might OOTP...and I guess the real question is: why is that?
Could have something to do with baseball in general. More of numbers game.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #35
Tekneek
Major Leagues

OOTP wins me with the customization and historical options.

I find FM to be much more immersive, but the difficulty in making any changes to it has always been a bit of a negative.

They're both excellent at what they do and definite leaders. I wish the options for some other sports were able to give a similar experience (but I find that none of them match up favorably at the moment). The cricket one might be the closest.

The online league portion is the hidden gem that nobody else competes with. FOF is about the best competitor when it comes to the multiplayer experience, but it is definitely an underserved part of the genre.

Last edited by Tekneek; 08-22-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #36
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Shocked at the poll results. I'm second to none in my love for OOTP, and in fact spend far more time modding for OOTP than for FM and far more time hanging out here than at SI, though maybe more time playing FM.

But even given all that, it's not a contest. FM wins going away. It's like comparing the Red Bull or Ferrari F1 car to, I dunno, a Ferrari GT car or something. The GT car is better and faster than 99.99% of all the cars in existence, but it can't even begin to match the F1 car. In fact the two aren't even in the same league.

OOTP is easily in the top five games I've ever played. And is better than every sports sim made. Except one, which just happens to be pretty much the perfect game. FM.

I'm not totally shocked, a lot of people here are biased, and not always objective, and/or they haven't actually played the latest editions of both extensively.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #37
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

FM succeeds at what it tries to set out to do because it focuses on one aspect: real life modern day. OOTP can do that, fictional and historical very well, while FM succeeds greatly at modern day real life, is a nightmare to play fictionally and (as far as I know) has no historical play. But my main gripe with the game is the size of it; it's just all way too big to get into and even in the one or two times I HAVE been able to get into it, it just felt too much like work and not enough like fun. To each their own, but to me OOTP has just enough size to be fun while FM is tunneled into one type of play and goes too far to have fun with. But it's still a good enough series to get me to try every year, even if I usually only end up putting about 15-25 hours into it.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not totally shocked, a lot of people here are biased, and not always objective, and/or they haven't actually played the latest editions of both extensively.
Well every time you try to make this poll, you word it or construe it in some way that favors FM (this poll asks for preference for a general question and FM's greatest strength), so maybe you shouldn't be crying foul about bias.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #39
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Well, it is the OOTP forum after all, I am sure the poll results would be the exact opposite if placed on a Football Manager 2013 forum.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #40
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

OOTP vs. FM Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
FM succeeds at what it tries to set out to do because it focuses on one aspect: real life modern day. OOTP can do that, fictional and historical very well, while FM succeeds greatly at modern day real life, is a nightmare to play fictionally and (as far as I know) has no historical play. But my main gripe with the game is the size of it; it's just all way too big to get into and even in the one or two times I HAVE been able to get into it, it just felt too much like work and not enough like fun. To each their own, but to me OOTP has just enough size to be fun while FM is tunneled into one type of play and goes too far to have fun with. But it's still a good enough series to get me to try every year, even if I usually only end up putting about 15-25 hours into it.
You can make the game as small as you like it especially with the classic mode.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote