Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Libid21
All Star Reserve

Will this game come out on Mac? {MOD EDIT: Answer="Yes"}

I'm curious as to whether or not this FOF-OOTP collaboration project will come out for Mac users or will it just be for Windows users only?
Old 02-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
I'm curious as to whether or not this FOF-OOTP collaboration project will come out for Mac users or will it just be for Windows users only?
It's just a complete guess but I would lean towards yes since it is under the OOTP umbrella now.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKomrska15 View Post
It's just a complete guess but I would lean towards yes since it is under the OOTP umbrella now.
As a software developer myself, I would be cautious for the first release. It all depends on the language that the FOF is developed in. It might take some time to redo the code to be platform independent if it is intimately tied to Windows right now.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

This is a make or break for me as I am solely a Mac guy
Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000 View Post
As a software developer myself, I would be cautious for the first release. It all depends on the language that the FOF is developed in. It might take some time to redo the code to be platform independent if it is intimately tied to Windows right now.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. If they are trying to take FOF and put some OOTP window dressing on it for version 1.0, then Mac seems not super likely. If they are looking to rip everything apart and rebuild the core engine into OOTP's 'app framework', then Mac would seem much more likely.

And, of course, we don't know the plan yet (I'd guess they might not know yet, either).

brad
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
RawIsDan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
This is a make or break for me as I am solely a Mac guy
I run several Windows games on an emulator app like VMWare Fusion so you can do it. Though I would enjoy having a Mac version.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawIsDan View Post
I run several Windows games on an emulator app like VMWare Fusion so you can do it. Though I would enjoy having a Mac version.
I hate doing this. I understand that MacOs user base is tiny, but every time a developer says this, I become less likely to ever check out their product again in the future. It's a less than preferred method.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

macs are <10% of market. if sales are proportional to that, and it takes a ton of effort to port the program, it's not going to be likely for very good and rational reasons.

this is soemthing you should know before buying mac products. i don't mean for that to be read like a warning.. i literally mean you had to know this when buying a mac computer.

they make it difficult on software developers and not the other way around. software developers don't ingore macs for only being a fringe portion of the market. their propreitary crap gets in the way of wider distribution and always has.

apple products are mostly about branding and status, nowadays. more so with the phones and tablets

god bless them for making great products for senior citizens, though. my ~70y.o. parents can use their tablets with ease. just about everyhing they make needs to be jailbroken to acutally make use of it's tech.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Great, thanks for checking in.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
macs are <10% of market. if sales are proportional to that, and it takes a ton of effort to port the program, it's not going to be likely for very good and rational reasons.

this is soemthing you should know before buying mac products. i don't mean for that to be read like a warning.. i literally mean you had to know this when buying a mac computer.

they make it difficult on software developers and not the other way around. software developers don't ingore macs for only being a fringe portion of the market. their propreitary crap gets in the way of wider distribution and always has.

apple products are mostly about branding and status, nowadays. more so with the phones and tablets

god bless them for making great products for senior citizens, though. my ~70y.o. parents can use their tablets with ease. just about everyhing they make needs to be jailbroken to acutally make use of it's tech.
Agreed. For an example, one can develop an Android application on Windows with relative ease. But to make that same app available on an iOS device one needs access to a MAC computer in order to compile it for use on an iOS device. Makes it tougher on developers.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #11
DTFinch
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I too, will only buy FOF if it is in a mac format.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
DTFinch
Minors (Rookie Ball)

"apple products are mostly about branding and status, nowadays. more so with the phones and tablets"

I've never had near the problems with Macs I've I had PCs, and I don't have to run any anti-virus software. FOF has been about the only software I've wanted that wasn't Mac compatible. I disagree on the status thing, I just don't see that in my social circles. I for one will only buy FOF it is offered to run on a Mac.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

In case it was missed, the OOTP team has indicated that they're planning this for Mac.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #14
ezlee2
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFinch View Post
"apple products are mostly about branding and status, nowadays. more so with the phones and tablets"

I've never had near the problems with Macs I've I had PCs, and I don't have to run any anti-virus software. FOF has been about the only software I've wanted that wasn't Mac compatible. I disagree on the status thing, I just don't see that in my social circles.

100% agree with this post. Been a Mac user for 15 plus years and I can say that they are about as reliable as you can get. Obviously, there will always be folks on both sides of the fence. I'm a Mac user because their hardware is simply top notch. With the improvements in VMs the the last 5 years it's seamless. For me, Windows runs best as a program on my Mac, but then again I only use Windows for FOF. I'm glad that the collaboration with OOTP will result in the availability of the game on a Mac though.

That being said, this is not a deal breaker for me in any way shape or form. If you have a great game that you enjoy playing you find a way to make it work.