Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
Trudel79
Bat Boy

Multiplayer? Pretty Please??

Is there ever going to be a chance of a multiplayer mode?

My friend, brother & I absolutely love the game, as most everyone does, but the one feature that's been missing for us is a true multiplayer mode. I know we can go through and set our teams the way we want, and have one of us simulate the games, but we used to play the **** out of Strat-O-Matic back in the day, so it would be amazing to be able to play an actual game head-to-head.

Have you guys ever attempted to implement multiplayer? No need for online servers, just direct connections, and we go through the games like we normally would. Selecting pitches, type of swing, etc.

Would love to hear from a Dev on this if at all possible. If it's been talked about at all?...tried?...failed?...never gonna happen?
Trudel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudel79 View Post

My friend, brother & I absolutely love the game, as most everyone does, but the one feature that's been missing for us is a true multiplayer mode. I know we can go through and set our teams the way we want, and have one of us simulate the games, but we used to play the **** out of Strat-O-Matic back in the day, so it would be amazing to be able to play an actual game head-to-head.

Have you guys ever attempted to implement multiplayer? No need for online servers, just direct connections, and we go through the games like we normally would. Selecting pitches, type of swing, etc.

Would love to hear from a Dev on this if at all possible. If it's been talked about at all?...tried?...failed?...never gonna happen?
Was a planned feature and a version was sold with that promise. Never came to be and never will.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Trudel79
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Was a planned feature and a version was sold with that promise. Never came to be and never will.
Was there ever an explanation as to why?
Old 03-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

You can already do this easily with a free tool like TeamViewer.

We will have head-to-head play in PT sometime, because here we have a centralized architecture that actually allows us to do this in a proper way.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Team Viewer Tried

I tried it with Team Viewer but opponent can see all your moves and mouse is not hiden from him................he also saw my password in game !!!!
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

They said No

They flatly said no to live play for on line leagues because they said there are too few owners of the game that play in line leagues so not worth their time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudel79 View Post

strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
You can already do this easily with a free tool like TeamViewer.

We will have head-to-head play in PT sometime, because here we have a centralized architecture that actually allows us to do this in a proper way.
So as long as it can be monetized? Even though at the times you sold pre-orders with it as a feature? That seems weird.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
So as long as it can be monetized? Even though at the times you sold pre-orders with it as a feature? That seems weird.
That was 16 years ago.

And this has nothing to do with monetization, it's all about tech.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #9
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was 16 years ago.

Notwithstanding it remains a very small niche request, IMHO, and today offers no reasonable return on investment, whether that's time or money.

And honestly- not to stir up unnecessary debate but -if I were developing, I would want to be enhancing what's already a unique, sophisticated core enterprise, not wander into Maddenesque territory. Been there, done that. Where we are, where we're going, is a solid charted path. I trust the man whose visions have guided it thus far.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

I don't understand why it can't be done similar to how SI games does it.

One person hosts. You connect to an IP and you take over your team. If youre in the game you have to click advance to advance a day. If youre not in the game AI controls.

Host can leave game up 24/7 if its a full online league or if youre just with friends host can bring game up/down as needed.

Granted I'm not a developer but I know this has been around since EHM 05 so it should be relatively easy to do (maybe?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strzepeksc View Post
They flatly said no to live play for on line leagues because they said there are too few owners of the game that play in line leagues so not worth their time to do it.
I think you'd be surprised how many people would be hooked if you could coach games live. We used to show up every night and watch these little 2d dots skate around a rink for hours, it was incredibly addicting. Its fun watching even if you can't coach your team and its not the same if the results are already available.

Last edited by drewst18; 03-14-2020 at 12:27 PM.
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post

One person hosts. You connect to an IP and you take over your team. If youre in the game you have to click advance to advance a day. If youre not in the game AI controls.

Host can leave game up 24/7 if its a full online league or if youre just with friends host can bring game up/down as needed.

Granted I'm not a developer but I know this has been around since EHM 05 so it should be relatively easy to do (maybe?)
not easy at all lol
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post
Because SI has 100+ employees. Guess how many we have
Old 03-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
The first thought that came to me this morning when I read this was "didn't this horse die 15-16 years ago?" "Good lord, let him rest in peace"

Markus made a mistake announcing a feature that didn't work out. Yes, it was listed in the new features and I'm sure, at the time, he was 100% sure it would get done. It didn't , he's human and subject to making mistakes like the rest of us. He apologized at the time, you know 16 years ago , and has built a game that more than makes up for this one faux pas IMHO.

Quote:
That was 16 years ago.

I just got home and was going to look up just exactly how long it had been and low and behold, Markus saved me the time.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok.
There's you, you and then maybe, oh yeah, you!
So there's three.
Am I close?

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OOTP only has the great Markus and one employee Matt Arnold LOL having fun I know there are a few more. winks
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #16
endgame
Hall Of Famer

For kicks and giggles, if any of you haven’t, read the credits page on the development side. It’s a rather small cast of characters who have achieved astonishing results over the years. Especially considering it started with 1,2, and then 3 of them. The rest came later.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #17
Trudel79
Bat Boy

Might it be something more feasible once you get the head-to-head PT figured out, or should I just give up on it ever happening?
Old 03-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #18
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you going to give us the answer?

Is it 10 plus a whole OOTP community?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #19
DanKreider
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strzepeksc View Post
I would guess there are not many Online league players BECAUSE there is not live head to head type features. I understand the complications of doing it though, I just believe if it was available, you'd have people lining up to play it in big groups. The numbers are small because of the pain in the butt factor of currently playing in leagues.

I could be off base here or dead wrong, that is just what I suspect. I think it would be great fun to join a league and be able to watch it all go down in real (simulated) time. You could figure out the details of how it would work, it definitely is possible one day I believe.
DanKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #20
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Marcus,

If I had one wish...just one....

Have tried to set-up an online league before, and the work was just a pain. I wish to heck that you guys would host your own servers, just like Perfect Team, where people could run their own leagues, really by just pushing that team submit button. When it comes to setting up the ports and all that, I'm an idiot. So yes, it's on me.

Yeah, I know I can get someone else to host it, and manage it myself, but I know I'd certainly pay to have that kind of hosting, like Perfect Team. I may be in the minority, but if you guys could monetize that for some profit, be nice to see you guys add to the bottom line as well.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote