Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

A couple issues I'm sorting through...

I play a fictional league with the following structure:
  • ML (32 teams in each league)
  • AAA
  • AA
  • A
  • R

I conduct an amateur draft each year with 20 rounds. I read somewhere on this forum before that you should strive for five rounds per each team in your organization.

The first issue is that there doesn't seem to be a consistent replenishment of good talent. In other words, there aren't very many good players in my draft classes, if any at all. Is this because I'm having a draft with too few rounds?

The second issue pertains to trading. After much review, I settled on the 'Hard' setting with 'Neutral' preferences. While this is challenging, it seems challenging to a fault. I'm currently trying to start a rebuild and I'm trying to offload some veteran players who still have good ratings. When I try to shop them around, the offers I get are minimal, and actually quite ridiculous. Other teams will offer me poor quality to average quality players (usually Regulars and Veterans) in return. Does that seem normal? I didn't think 'Hard' meant 'Damn Near Impossible'.

Thanks for you insights!
Left-handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

A few things for your consideration.

I play fictional with the league set-up you use and have found it excellent for the recent versions of OOTP. You haven't said how many seasons you've simmed so far, but I would recommend fast simming for 20 seasons, then starting up by taking over a team. This gives the game time to balance out talent and avoid what you are complaining about. That said, I have never found draft talent to be low for more than 2-3 drafts at worst.

Players develop over time. There will be low round sleepers of solid quality, however they aren't apparent yet. 'Talent bumps' are big part of the OOTP engine and you will learn this.

I go with a 30 player draft with 32 MLB teams simply to allow enough of these 'Talent Bumps' to occur. I commend that to you.

As to trading, your are experiencing what the vast majority of OOTP players have asked for over the years. Hard and Neutral means you can't trade your leftovers for either cooked Beef Wellington or the raw fillets.

Over time you will notice that if you shop your players, certain teams will consistently respond. Keep trying until they make a decent offer, then go to the trade screen and try to really hose them. Works for me.

The short answer is the game is not supposed to be easy unless you drop the settings down.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

Makes sense, thank you!

When you say a 30 player draft, do you mean 30 rounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
A few things for your consideration.

I play fictional with the league set-up you use and have found it excellent for the recent versions of OOTP. You haven't said how many seasons you've simmed so far, but I would recommend fast simming for 20 seasons, then starting up by taking over a team. This gives the game time to balance out talent and avoid what you are complaining about. That said, I have never found draft talent to be low for more than 2-3 drafts at worst.

Players develop over time. There will be low round sleepers of solid quality, however they aren't apparent yet. 'Talent bumps' are big part of the OOTP engine and you will learn this.

I go with a 30 player draft with 32 MLB teams simply to allow enough of these 'Talent Bumps' to occur. I commend that to you.

As to trading, your are experiencing what the vast majority of OOTP players have asked for over the years. Hard and Neutral means you can't trade your leftovers for either cooked Beef Wellington or the raw fillets.

Over time you will notice that if you shop your players, certain teams will consistently respond. Keep trying until they make a decent offer, then go to the trade screen and try to really hose them. Works for me.

The short answer is the game is not supposed to be easy unless you drop the settings down.
Left-handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Well the trading AI is always in need of improvement. Nothing you mention about the trade offers your receiving is surprising. You can actually adjust what teams value i.e. prospects, veterans, neutral, etc. It has gotten better over the years but I think most folks here will agree it has a little ways to go yet.

Now, draft classes. One of the forum regulars did a pretty thorough study on this last year and discovered the draft prospect bell curve is steep and wide. There is a whole lot of middle and not a lot of premium. Increasing you draft pool size (not necassarily the number of rounds you draft, just the number of rounds the game makes players for) will improve the number of high quality prospects. Because it is on a curve.

In my own observation prospects tend to develop better than they project in many cases. I've seen a good many two star potential develop in to three and four star players. So much like in real life there is a definite element of uncertainty in the draft.

One other observation, purely my own. Feeder leagues tend to produce a larger range of prospects good and bad as opposed to a "created" pool. I think that is because a feeder league player will have had as many as eight seasons of playing and eight seasons with the OOTP engine "developing" him as much as it does. Once again that is purely my own observation.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

One other thing to keep in mind. The potential ratings you see are coming from your scout. If you hire a scout that "strongly favors tools" and invest money in amateur scouting the potential ratings will be a fair bit more accurate.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

The second issue pertains to trading. After much review, I settled on the 'Hard' setting with 'Neutral' preferences. While this is challenging, it seems challenging to a fault. I'm currently trying to start a rebuild and I'm trying to offload some veteran players who still have good ratings. When I try to shop them around, the offers I get are minimal, and actually quite ridiculous. Other teams will offer me poor quality to average quality players (usually Regulars and Veterans) in return. Does that seem normal? I didn't think 'Hard' meant 'Damn Near Impossible'.

Thanks for you insights!
I would also suggest that you try some creative approaches to trading that should help you have more success. For instance, if you are trying to trade a veteran player with a rather large salary you might need to retain a percentage of his salary to get any good value in return. While this might not be ideal, it does mirror real-life and sometimes even a small retention can produce much better offers from other teams. My advice is to maybe start by shopping the player with you retaining 30% of their salary, see if that yields some good offers, then once you start negotiating you can incrementally lower the retention percentage and test the limits of what will be acceptable to the other team.
It also helps to try different package deals- in other words, you will probably get better offers for a high-priced veteran when you package them with a decent prospect who might not have a clear future in your organization. So much of course also depends upon the focus of the team you are attempting to trade with, and trying to trade a high-priced veteran, even one who still has good skills, to a rebuilding team isn't going to yield much value for you.
With some patient and determined negotiation you can usually get a team to offer you another veteran player whose contract expires before the player you are trying to trade along with one or two potentially decent prospects (though you likely will have to give up a not horrible prospect yourself in the deal). When you are rebuilding, this kind of incremental improvement with an eye towards 2-4 years down the line is often the best you can do.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote