Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Which does the better job of putting you in the manager's chair?, which has the better all around AI
OOTP 14 67 54.47%
Football Manager 2013 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #121
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
One of my friends plays Skyrim on a PS3 and a big screen TV. I play it on Steam on my Win 8 i7 laptop PC (with a dedicated graphics card). He came over and was floored by how much better the graphics were on my laptop. When I showed all the mods I had added to the game from Nexus and from the Steam Workshop and how much better and more visually appealing they made the game, he suddenly decided to buy a PC.
The one thing PS3 had over PC is The Show. Well ok, actually it has a a bunch of good exclusives, (Plus a few cross platforms run into... balance issues when M+KB is in play, for instance GTA V is probably going to be kinda not fun to play on PC, the MP at least I mean, because GTA has always had a very short Time-To-Kill, and then add mouse precision. Lets just say driving anywhere near people in GTAIV was asking to be shot to death in passing, I can't imagine how bad it will be now that all of that is persistant. Least on PS3 I can go into No-Aim-Assist lobbies and the controller's lack of precision actually HELPS that kinda game, tbh) plus the fact its a Blu-Ray player helps it out quite a bunch (If HD-DVD had won out we'd be saying that about the 360 instead though) Maybe if we're magically lucky Sony will port it to PC now that the multiplatform embargo is gone after 2k gave up on the contract.

A man can dream right?

Last edited by Silent_Thunder; 10-17-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #122
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
You have to truly appreciate a great product when you realize that the entire staff can probably be counted on just two hands. Big props to Markus and the crew for putting together an amazing product and continuously giving the people what they want. My first sim gaming experience was from Wolverine Studios. i love their games, but the community communication between Gary and the public is non-existent. I come over here and the staff is constantly out here talking to their customers about what needs to be fixed. I love it!
Yes, OOTP is indeed a great product. As a former software developer, I'm amazed how Markus could create such a complex piece of software almost all by himself. I could imagine that he has now written hundreds of thousands of lines of code just to create OOTP!

I love Wolverine Studios's games, too, especially Total Pro Golf, Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball, and Puresim Baseball (before Gary Gorski, the President of Wolverine Studios, and Shaun Sullivan, the developer of Puresim Baseball had a falling out). It's just a pity that Gary Gorski is not as as active in communicating with his customers, especially regarding some issues with Wolverine Studios's games...

Last edited by themonk; 10-17-2013 at 07:02 PM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #123
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP vs. FM Revisited

Quote:
One of my friends plays Skyrim on a PS3 and a big screen TV. I play it on Steam on my Win 8 i7 laptop PC (with a dedicated graphics card). He came over and was floored by how much better the graphics were on my laptop. When I showed all the mods I had added to the game from Nexus and from the Steam Workshop and how much better and more visually appealing they made the game, he suddenly decided to buy a PC.
Same with me and my friend. He got Skyrim on his PS3 and then a couple months later he turned to PC gaming. He said he couldn't justify starting over his Skyrim game so he never got it for PC but the mods are insane on the PC.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #124
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Same with me and my friend. He got Skyrim on his PS3 and then a couple months later he turned to PC gaming. He said he couldn't justify starting over his Skyrim game so he never got it for PC but the mods are insane on the PC.
Insane is the right word. Some of that stuff on Nexus...well, frankly, they make every OOTP mod combined look insignificant. The graphics mods, the lighting mods, the foliage mods...it's all just staggering.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #125
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Yes, OOTP is indeed a great product. As a former software developer, I'm amazed how Markus could create such a complex piece of software almost all by himself. I could imagine that he has now written hundreds of thousands of lines of code just to create OOTP!

I love Wolverine Studios's games, too, especially Total Pro Golf, Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball, and Puresim Baseball (before Gary Gorski, the President of Wolverine Studios, and Gary Sullivan, the developer of Puresim Baseball had a falling out). It's just a pity that Gary Sullivan is not as as active in communicating with his customers, especially regarding some issues with Wolverine Studios's games...
Wolverine Sports makes me crazy with their failure to support hi-res monitors. I went to buy one of their games and the max resolution was 1024x768! I'd like to buy their games but someone needs to tell them about modern graphics. We're lucky that OOTP is so much smarter about that.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #126
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wolverine Sports makes me crazy with their failure to support hi-res monitors. I went to buy one of their games and the max resolution was 1024x768! I'd like to buy their games but someone needs to tell them about modern graphics. We're lucky that OOTP is so much smarter about that.
I have been beating that dead horse on their forums for years. I am completely dismayed about how little they have advanced into a modern era. they have some good ideas and we could use some good competition in the sports sim market. but the graphics thing and the its coming but never released football game just sour me on the whole company.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #127
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
I have been beating that dead horse on their forums for years. I am completely dismayed about how little they have advanced into a modern era. they have some good ideas and we could use some good competition in the sports sim market. but the graphics thing and the its coming but never released football game just sour me on the whole company.
Why is it a dead horse? Are they living in 1999?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #128
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Just purchased the FM14 beta. This will either be the best game of my life or the downfall to my social life...or both...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #129
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Just purchased the FM14 beta. This will either be the best game of my life or the downfall to my social life...or both...
Not a problem for me. I no longer have a social life to speak of since I've been playing text sims, especially OOTP..
Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #130
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Not a problem for me. I no longer have a social life to speak of since I've been playing text sims, especially OOTP..
Have one or need one?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #131
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Have one or need one?
Nah. The wifey will not like this. She shouldn't see this...

Last edited by themonk; 10-18-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #132
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

After finally playing enough FM13, I'd rate both games 10 out of 10. Both are brilliant, with some flaws. I still think FM is much easier, doesn't matter how low the division you start in. It is still much fun and I wished I had more time to play it. It seems the tactics this year are less plug n pay than usual. I usually try to play using Utd's tactics, but the match engine can't reproduce stale unimaginative passing. And there are so many bugs: Valencia uses his left too much. Clev actually passes forward. Jones can cross. Rio doesn't hoof it. Ando lasts a whole match. But at least I can sell Rooney and re-buy Robbie Brady.

But seriously, If I had to pick one, I'd choose OOTP for its customization and fictional play. But really, I could both game for hours. Bit pointless trying to compare them, at least for me. If you like both sports, buy both games.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #133
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I must agree. IMO every good sports gamer should own and play both.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #134
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC1878 View Post
After finally playing enough FM13, I'd rate both games 10 out of 10. Both are brilliant, with some flaws. I still think FM is much easier, doesn't matter how low the division you start in. It is still much fun and I wished I had more time to play it. It seems the tactics this year are less plug n pay than usual. I usually try to play using Utd's tactics, but the match engine can't reproduce stale unimaginative passing. And there are so many bugs: Valencia uses his left too much. Clev actually passes forward. Jones can cross. Rio doesn't hoof it. Ando lasts a whole match. But at least I can sell Rooney and re-buy Robbie Brady.

But seriously, If I had to pick one, I'd choose OOTP for its customization and fictional play. But really, I could both game for hours. Bit pointless trying to compare them, at least for me. If you like both sports, buy both games.
Same here. Love OOTP's fictional play (I play fictional all the way, basing my league on a fictional country with customized rules), flexibility and customizability. But also dying to get FM after reading this thread. However, have to replace first my old but trusty 7-year-old laptop with a new one. I don't think FM will run on my old laptop...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #135
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm clueless when it comes to soccer so FM would never be my cup of tea. I do have a question about it though. Does anyone play it simply for the love of the game soccer, or is strictly a management sim? The beauty of OOTP is the fact that the game of baseball is still it's number one focus. If one doesn't want to be the next Dave Dombrowski they can still get wrapped up in all the great numbers and memories the game creates.
I'm not a real Football fan. I don't even support a team. But I've played FM since before it was even called FM and only skipped a couple of years where the latest version doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. Here in the UK football (soccer) is everywhere. League games play in most pubs/bars everywhere you go. If you talk to someone who plays computer games (not to be confused with console trash) who are watching a game in a pub the chances that they play, or have played, FM are high. Some play it because they are die-hard fans of a certain team they love to manage. Others, like myself, are more into FM than football itself. I'm pretty sure it's much the same with OOTP. (of course if you are a fan of the rl game you are more likely to want to play the sim). The problem I'm having with OOTP is "not having a clue". The terms of baseball are more stylised and technical than those in football. Everyone knows what a pass is, everyone knows what a shot at goal is, 99% of people know what a penalty is (even if they don't understand why it was given). I have no idea what a change up is, no idea what a bunt is, no idea what a pinch is, no idea what 99% of these things mean. Until I make a conscious effort to educate myself on all these things OOTP is completely unplayable for me (whereas American Football management games are comparatively easy to understand). I think this is the key difference between the two games as computer games.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #136
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Incidentally, Don't believe the posters saying "this years improvements seem more significant" or anything like that. FM2014 is FM2013 with a useless tactics editor and some minor tweeks added. There has been no REAL change to the game since FM 2009 other than that SI finally realised their long-term goal of implementing better player and press interaction with FM2013. Ignore the list of "new features", they are almost always just hyperbole...and the yearly "improved match engine" is a joke that doesn't alter the game one bit. This said, all sports management games suffer from this criticism because it is mostly true of all of them. With few exceptions (when an ACTUAL advancement is made in a specific year), these kinds of game tend to slowly degenerate into team updates as the devs run out of ideas that make a concrete difference to their games.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-21-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #137
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
There has been no REAL change to the game since FM 2009
So you don't consider 3d graphics to be a REAL change?

You're a little tough to impress
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #138
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Despite the fact that I can't play it. I disagree with those who say FM is more detailed. The text sections such as the play-by-play and the way news items are printed are FAR more descriptive in OOTP and the historical options, and the facts and quotations that pop up during calculations, lend a far richer insight into the game of baseball than anything FM has.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #139
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
So you don't consider 3d graphics to be a REAL change?

You're a little tough to impress
LMAO seriously? "3D match engine" was stolen from a game called International Soccer Manager way back in 1999. Before then football management games used either descriptive text only (such as championship manager (which is now football manager) dots with numbers on to simulate a top-down view was a major advancement on that))Since then the only improvements have been minor improvements on the way players look and move. Besides which, I don't call a few tiny pixel characters blobbing around a green square a 3D Match Engine. Make the match engine something like the FIFA games and you might have a point. Grab a copy of FM2009, grab a copy of FM2014, play them both - you will see the engine show a couple of player animations more in the newer version. Does it really have any effect on your enjoyment of the game? Nope, not one bit. And that's FIVE years right there.

*edit* In fact, the only reason I bought OOTP is because I'm tired of paying for essentially the same game over and over. It's like paying £35/year for a patch.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #140
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Just gave this game my first night and must say I love it! Spent two and a half hours last night setting up my New England Revolution team and in that time only got to two friendlies. I haven't had a game where I can just tinker around with my team and not play many games like FM14 did to me last night.