Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 04-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
avsfan96
Minors (Rookie Ball)

FHM6 issues and improvement

I have been playing FHM Hockey for a couple versions now and enjoy it. But FHM version 5 and 6 have some of the same flaws that prevent this simulation from truly being outstanding. I am not trying to criticize or bash the FHM staff or programmers with this post. As a customer of FHM and OOTP, I am simply trying to voice my opinion on issues I see could use improvement. This is mainly the Computer AI algorithm. I started a new standard game, added an expansion team (to 32 teams) on July 1st and have played one season. My league is currently sitting on Oct 4th opening night in season two (2020-2021). Teams just sent down players to farm teams and passed them through waivers. I’m currently using the Fastspring version 6.8 Build 78. Here are some issues I’ve noticed.

TEAMS ROSTERS AND PLAYER USAGE – I flipped through AI controlled teams on Oct 4th and found 17 teams with only 20 players on their roster for opening night. Why? No team would do this. There are 23 roster spots, use them. While I was playing last season I noticed the Computer AI using players at all 3 levels (NHL,AHL,ECHL) with their fitness below 60% in some cases even though there were other players available. I saw in one thread the FHM staff mentioned you shouldn’t play players down in their 70’s rating.

TRADES AND WAIVERS – Many users have mentioned through various posts the Trade system needs more interaction. You can get an idea if a trade will go through by reading what your scout has to offer (ex. I hardly think……..well balanced offer… they will most likely….). But it needs more from the other GM. Also some trades made by the AI with AI are heavily influenced by position of need and don’t take in account that most GM’s would not trade a younger asset with upside and lower cost for an much older one with no upside, same rating and worse contract. Waivers are this way also. The NHL has about 20 to 35 waiver pickups a year in the real world. My last season saw over a hundred. Plus the player who was picked up was immediately placed on the farm team in over 90% of the cases. Doesn’t he have to go through waivers again if not put on the NHL Club?

SCHEDULE – The schedule maker still makes over 20 back to back games and some with only 1 day off in between. I have seen 3 back to backs with a day off in between each. That’s 6 games in 8 days. How about an editable schedule or better yet, the ability to import your own schedule.

FARM TEAM CONTROL – There is none in FHM6. You have no control over how your farm team plays, who they hire, tactics or what prospects play or don’t play, etc. I had a young goalie on the AHL farm club with a 2.5 rating and 4 star potential. But since an older 30 year old 1.5 rating and potential got hot, he played most of the games during the season and the prospect never had a chance. There is less control now than in FHM 5 where you could at least dress the players you wanted to play. Plus you have the problem of fitness because of overplaying as mentioned above.

The issues above are all part of the games core system. Hopefully, one or more of these will be addressed with FHM7. Keep up the good work and may the programming gods smile down on you.
avsfan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
DirkGildun
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan96 View Post
SCHEDULE – The schedule maker still makes over 20 back to back games and some with only 1 day off in between. I have seen 3 back to backs with a day off in between each. That’s 6 games in 8 days. How about an editable schedule or better yet, the ability to import your own schedule.

With each new version of FHM, I have asked the developers for a schedule editor/importer (starting with the first version of FHM). I haven't even gotten any kind of response from them over the last 3 - 4 versions.
DirkGildun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
avsfan96
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It just seems to me that the game keeps expanding (i.e. more leagues, challenges, etc.) But the core or main module needs to be addressed. It is a lot of work. But when is the basic function of the program going to be improved? Since there are no graphics or animation in the game I assume the main selling point of FHM6 is a realistic experience as a General Manager or coach. Although the game itself is enjoyable, realism is lacking due to the issues I mentioned. Hopefully, instead of updating the fluff around the edges the games main functions to give you a more realistic game will be enhanced.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
DrunkenTeddy
Major Leagues

Every online league I am in complains about the schedules. I think giving people the ability to edit the schedules would eliminate a lot of complaining.
DrunkenTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
SR000
Minors (Single A)

basics

I would say just basic usage stuff should be dealt with. Not being able to see the draft list anymore is a big one. It was a good way to see if your scouts were covering the list as the season was in progress but now when it's revealed it's too late. And the Futures/Watch/Midterm/Final page is difficult to use because whenever you look at a player and then click back it always resorts back to the quickly outdated futures list.
SR000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Diamondback424
Bat Boy

ECHL Help

Being a GM in the ECHL is also a huge challenge. I have no insight into what the AHL/NHL GMs are thinking and what they are planning.

I have a great team in the ECHL, I'm about 3/4 of the way through the season and I'm 13 points up on the next best team in the league. But now the AHL/NHL teams are sending me their guys at a critical time.

I just had to buy out my best winger (36 pts in 40 games) because he was the only player on an ECHL contract on my active roster. I constructed a great team in the off-season, but with no idea of how many/what kind of players you're going to get dumped on you from the higher leagues, it's extremely difficult to plan ahead. I didn't think giving my BEST PLAYER the ONLY no movement clause on the team would be an issue.

It might be difficult to simulate, but just some sort of organizational communication would be huge. Maybe something like a "players not likely to be on opening night rosters" at the end of the off-season for the AHL/NHL so you can at least start to plan around those issues. Just an idea of the quantity at the very least.

Last edited by Diamondback424; 04-22-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Diamondback424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:58 AM   #7
Colorado
Major Leagues

These are all valid points and suggestions. I posted somewhere previously that it feels like the latest version of the game is a more polished version of FHM5. I think FHM7 needs to take more of a step forward in terms of being a more complete game.

There's a lot of things that work and are right with the game but a few steps forward with certain aspects and details of the game would really make a significant difference.

The positive thing is that the staff engage well with the online community so will read all the feedback people leave. Personally, I think there should be a stickied post for all feedback and suggestions as we get new ones posted every couple of weeks.

Last edited by Colorado; 04-23-2020 at 04:03 AM.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
Diamondback424
Bat Boy

I love that idea! And it does seem like the developers really do try to engage with folks here. I love that they really listen! Minor complaints aside, the game is great! So much better than any of the simpler franchise or GM modes in games like Madden or NHL.
Diamondback424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
avsfan96
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I guess some of the other issues I have is that some functions or even statistics will work properly in an earlier version, than won't in a newer version. Example: Currently in Version 6.78 the Goal Differential isn't correct when looking at it under league standings. It has always been correct until the last version. What happened? Now the game can't add or subtract two numbers correctly? If you look closely at the game you will see this happens with just every new version put out. It just seems sloppy to me and makes one wonder how close do the programmers and testers actually look at the game. I do give credit to the staff for engaging with folks on this blog and trying to correct issues.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:40 AM   #10
Colorado
Major Leagues

I've not noticed that but raise it in the bugs forum so they can look into it.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote