Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #21
bigd51
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudu44 View Post
1. On the calculator file, "Flotsam Project 4.1", make any edits you want to the player data or rankings on the PlayerData tab. Keep the edits between columns B-BV. Columns BX-DL convert the 1-100 ratings to FOF's specific 375-625 rating system, so don't touch those.

2. When you're ready, find see the FOF Output tab on the bottom. Go there.

3. In A1, you'll see the year, (initially 1983). Replace that year with whatever year you want the draft file for and press enter. It will automatically filter out just those players and calculate FOF file friendly ratings for them.

4. Cut and paste the whole FOF Output tab into a .CSV file (removing row 1 and column A, so it's just the data) and save that.

5. Go to steamapps\common\Front Office Football Eight on your harddrive and open FOF's DraftFile application. Import the CSV file you've created to convert it to the file type usable by the game.
Awesome. Really appreciate it!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
PepeSylvia
Minors (Single A)

Thanks Jim, sounds great.

I wouldn't have expected a lot of the fringe players to be included and 99% of people won't know who most of them are anyway. Looking forward to your next update. Stay safe.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #23
trident
All Star Reserve

Excited to see this latest. May you and your family Jim be safe during this iso period.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #24
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gindin View Post
I apologize. I meant compensation picks rather than a supplemental draft. Not sure why I keep typing supplemental instead - it's hardly the first time. I don't want to get into an entire Q&A, but the whole staging (starting out with 90, going down to 53 gradually) of the pre-season isn't going to be in FOF9. It will work like FOF8. The new CBA, with a shorter pre-season, will change all of that anyway, so that's an FOF10+ issue, along with practice squads. But it's definitely something I'd like to do eventually. If 2020 has 14 playoff teams rather than 12, that will be in FOF9.
One interesting note here. This is something I would have imagined to be adjustable (sates, number of players etc..) but from the way Jim answered this question, I really wonder now. Perhaps FOF isn't going to be the customizable game we had hoped...and perhaps this merger is mostly about the UI. (which we knew it was...but I think OOTP style customization also entered peoples' minds)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #25
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
One interesting note here. This is something I would have imagined to be adjustable (sates, number of players etc..) but from the way Jim answered this question, I really wonder now. Perhaps FOF isn't going to be the customizable game we had hoped...and perhaps this merger is mostly about the UI. (which we knew it was...but I think OOTP style customization also entered peoples' minds)
Or perhaps FOF9 and say FOF10 include Jim's current planned changes displayed in the OOTP UI all the while the code is maturing to "become" what everyone is hoping for. It may be a few seasons before the level of customization comes close to being as robust as some envision.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #26
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
Or perhaps FOF9 and say FOF10 include Jim's current planned changes displayed in the OOTP UI all the while the code is maturing to "become" what everyone is hoping for. It may be a few seasons before the level of customization comes close to being as robust as some envision.
Of course, only Jim knows for sure but I think you've outlined the most plausible developments.

Once before he had also mentioned a few custom sized leagues IIRC.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #27
Wudu44
Bat Boy

Quote:
Wow. Nice work. You are unofficially in charge of the FOF Wayback Project. I know how much effort this takes, and I've been looking for someone with interest in this for a long time.
Thanks, I'll try not to let it go to my head. The project is ongoing, I'm working on trying to balance the talent at the moment. My goal is to finish 1983-2020 by the NFL season, whenever that is. Once those seasons are solid, I'll see if I can reach back further, maybe to the WFL.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #28
mso94
Major Leagues

What are the chances it has an Indoor football league option ? That would be freaking AMAZING
Old 04-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #29
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mso94 View Post
What are the chances it has an Indoor football league option ? That would be freaking AMAZING
I would not mind seeing this, but I would think the chances are probably 0% that there would be an option for indoor football.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #30
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudu44 View Post
Thanks, I'll try not to let it go to my head. The project is ongoing, I'm working on trying to balance the talent at the moment. My goal is to finish 1983-2020 by the NFL season, whenever that is. Once those seasons are solid, I'll see if I can reach back further, maybe to the WFL.

Or even back to 1960, for some of us!
Old 04-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #31
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Indoor football you ask? I'm writing one of those...

https://gmgames.org/indoor-football-manager-ifm/
Old 04-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #32
Wudu44
Bat Boy

Quote:
So the critical struggle in adding players is finding a good, reliable source of data that includes their physical attributes like height & weight but also provides things like hometown, birthday and what year they left school and would be draft eligible. Most sources, even the official league ones, might give some of that on current players but guys who played 10-20 years ago are lucky to get a statistical mention in the record books only if they did something phenomenal.

In other words, if you can provide me with a solid source of IFL player data I can harvest from I'd put it on the list of things to add.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #33
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmeister89 View Post
Indoor football you ask? I'm writing one of those...

https://gmgames.org/indoor-football-manager-ifm/
Very interesting..

But, I have to ask... why?

This is taking an already very niche market (football sim games) and slicing it WAY down (since, let's face it, NFL is much, more popular than any indoor football league)

I'm not meaning this to be rude, more so out of curiosity, but... is anyone actually... asking for an indoor football league game? I imagine it's a passion/side project for you as opposed to something you're looking to make a whole lot of money off of? Unless there is some huge, untapped indoor sim football market I'm unaware of.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #34
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Very interesting..

But, I have to ask... why?

This is taking an already very niche market (football sim games) and slicing it WAY down (since, let's face it, NFL is much, more popular than any indoor football league)

I'm not meaning this to be rude, more so out of curiosity, but... is anyone actually... asking for an indoor football league game? I imagine it's a passion/side project for you as opposed to something you're looking to make a whole lot of money off of? Unless there is some huge, untapped indoor sim football market I'm unaware of.
Why make another NFL game when you could make something more unique? Indoor football is not the NFL. Indoor football is it's own brand of the game and it deserves to be part of general manager style world of games.

Having said that, let's not take away from the real news here (FOF9).

Last edited by Robmeister89; 04-05-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #35
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why make another NFL game when you could make something more unique? Indoor football is not the NFL. Indoor football is it's own brand of the game and it deserves to be part of general manager style world of games.

Right on. Good luck with it.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #36
Azul01
Bat Boy

Quote:
If 2020 has 14 playoff teams rather than 12, that will be in FOF9.
This is my only pet peeve in sports as far as the entertainment part goes. I hate how too many teams make the playoffs in sports. Making the playoffs is supposed to be a reward for being a very good team in the regular season. You play 16 regular season games and 1 playoff loss and your season is over. So being very good in the regular season should be rewarded.

Making the playoffs is supposed to be, in theory, a celebration of triumph. When you put half the league into the playoffs how much of a triumph is it?

I realize it's only 2 extra teams making the playoffs. But with 12 teams making the playoffs,

12 in
20 out.

14 in
18 out.

Even though it's only 2 more teams making the playoffs, it looks a lot worse to me. You're almost putting half the teams in the playoffs. Putting almost half the teams into the playoffs destroys the reward for making it into them.

I'm not sure if this could happen because I don't know the program algorithm but if it's not a hassle and if the NFL changes the playoff field size can we have the option in the game settings to change the playoff field size to 12?
Old 04-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #37
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul01 View Post
This is my only pet peeve in sports as far as the entertainment part goes. I hate how too many teams make the playoffs in sports. Making the playoffs is supposed to be a reward for being a very good team in the regular season. You play 16 regular season games and 1 playoff loss and your season is over. So being very good in the regular season should be rewarded.

Making the playoffs is supposed to be, in theory, a celebration of triumph. When you put half the league into the playoffs how much of a triumph is it?

I realize it's only 2 extra teams making the playoffs. But with 12 teams making the playoffs,

12 in
20 out.

14 in
18 out.

Even though it's only 2 more teams making the playoffs, it looks a lot worse to me. You're almost putting half the teams in the playoffs. Putting almost half the teams into the playoffs destroys the reward for making it into them.

I'm not sure if this could happen because I don't know the program algorithm but if it's not a hassle and if the NFL changes the playoff field size can we have the option in the game settings to change the playoff field size to 12?
The beauty of games like FOF and OOTP is once they become so good you can ignore real life leagues and never miss them.

Honestly I love baseball but this year they actually blacked out spring training games. Seriously? ST games? I wish there was no virus, or course, but if they end up not playing this year I won't miss it. I'l fire up OOTP and my baseball need will be covered.

If they keep screwing with the NFL I could see FOF doing the same.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #38
Azul01
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
The beauty of games like FOF and OOTP is once they become so good you can ignore real life leagues and never miss them.

Honestly I love baseball but this year they actually blacked out spring training games. Seriously? ST games? I wish there was no virus, or course, but if they end up not playing this year I won't miss it. I'l fire up OOTP and my baseball need will be covered.

If they keep screwing with the NFL I could see FOF doing the same.

The thing about the NFL increasing the playoff field size is, don't these people have enough money? Doesn't the NFL make enough money?

The NFL made $8.1 billion dollars last year. Do they really need to make more money by increasing the playoff field size?

If it's not broke don't fix it. Don't destroy the prestige of making the playoffs. They make enough money.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #39
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul01 View Post
The thing about the NFL increasing the playoff field size is, don't these people have enough money? Doesn't the NFL make enough money?

The NFL made $8.1 billion dollars last year. Do they really need to make more money by increasing the playoff field size?

If it's not broke don't fix it. Don't destroy the prestige of making the playoffs. They make enough money.
Totally agree. Add to that the abuse the bodies of players take over the course of a season and you want to add more? Watered down playoffs ruin the point of the regular season. I could see teams that can't win the division but have a WC locked sitting starters for the last 2 games of the regular season. Got to keep that wear and tear off the body with the new longer season and extended playoffs.

Seriously I can see a time where FOF will fill my needs for football as OOTP can for baseball. I know I'm nothing to them and they'll never miss me but... I won't miss them either.

I will still have the Premiere League in the UK for my sports fix. You know a league where there are no playoffs and almost every game matters. Oh, yeah there are also no commercials while the game is playing
Old 04-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #40
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

How long until a possible release? I would be very interested in playing!