Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
Peanuts
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Switching from Windows to Apple?

Greetings Fellow OOTP Enthusiasts:

I created my team and run several seasons on a windows computer. I am considering an apple - and wondering if the apple laptop will be able to import a league created on windows.

Has anyone tried this? I ran a Google search and couldn't find that it had been tried.

I am aware that windows and apple have different file systems, but I have read that there is more compatibility between the two systems in recent years.

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience you may have.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Any reason on thinking about an apple? Is OOTP the only game you look at? You could always dual boot the apple to windows as well.

But the game files shouldn't matter. You could load the game directory to google drive and sync it down to the apple. Then just point OOTP to that directory and be good to go.

Just on the Apple as a side note, not only are apple's more expensive up front but if you ever need any repairs it is also more expensive. And the new ones everything is soldered to the board so you don't even have the flexibility of changing anything or upgrading later on. You will be buying a new one.

And the ssd gum stick apple uses is proprietary connector. Which means more money and less places to pick 1 up.

And the current models unless a refresh happens soon doesn't even use 8th gen Intel chips. And 9th gen will be out in the fall. So if you buy right now a couple of months and your 2 generations behind already.

Not discouraging just wanted to make you aware of some future pitfalls you might encounter.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Peanuts
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks Jimmy. Your comments cause me a little caution. Not trying to start any controversy here on the board, but to answer your question - MS recently blew off my metered only wifi connection and force fed the April 1803 windows update. My computer wouldn't boot afterward and it took me hours to get everything reinstalled. Now it is being downloaded again.

It made me wonder if it was time to switch as I hear people rave about their apples. But after considering your words, I better think it over.

Thanks, man. Happy baseball to you.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You will have no problems transferring your league between a PC and Mac. They are compatible.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You will have no problems transferring your league between a PC and Mac. They are compatible.
This. I love my Macbook. I dual boot for other games, but OOTP plays great on a Mac. And moving games from PC to Mac was never a problem for me.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
Thanks Jimmy. Your comments cause me a little caution. Not trying to start any controversy here on the board, but to answer your question - MS recently blew off my metered only wifi connection and force fed the April 1803 windows update. My computer wouldn't boot afterward and it took me hours to get everything reinstalled. Now it is being downloaded again.

It made me wonder if it was time to switch as I hear people rave about their apples. But after considering your words, I better think it over.

Thanks, man. Happy baseball to you.
Go to Windows button, settings, windows update, advanced options

under there you can delay full upgrades for 365 days. That is the version number upgrades that just happened to you. You will still continue to get all other upgrades for those 365 days.

Also if you are using steam all of the installations are transferable if the games are dual platform. Plus steam save cloud for some games and there is always Google Cloud.

I recommend Google Cloud/Drive as the #1 cloud based service. In fact they are so good Apple insider documents leaked out in 2017/2018 and Apple Cloud is in fact completely contracted out to Google. If google is good enough for Apple then its goods enough for everyone.

In some areas the Mac vs PC is very controversial. I would say for AAA gaming Windows still reins supreme and Mac and Linux are far decent #2's by default.

So it really comes down to how heavy of a gamer are you. If its just OOTP then no need to worry.

If its any other game Apple computers just doesn't have the horsepower or the GPU capability of keeping up with Windows compatible desktops/laptops.

You can buy a Razer Blade with a GTX 1070 with better specs cheaper then the Macbook Pro base unit. If you are strictly a laptop gamer.

Again if you aren't a AAA level gamer then you have a harder decision.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's a reason they are typically 7-8% of the market or thereabouts... get an apple computer product if you 'need' and apple computer product... or for your older family members, because they are a bit easier to use for simple stuff. otherwise you are just rolling the dice you won't run into some compatibility issue or simply cannot get an app you want due to it not being made for so few people with an apple computer.

you can change these settings in windows 10. change how updates are delivered and fix the problem. i'm sure with a few keywords you can even find a tutorial video through google search.

heck, at one time win10 came default to share you badwidth -- some p2p update sharing scheme if i recall. win10 is shady AF. still have a win7 key somewhere? don't even need a cd. just an old code from anywhere. download and install win7, re-use old key = win.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Peanuts
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I appreciate your expertise. I think the option to stall the updates for a full year exists only on the Business and Enterprise editions of Windows 10. I haven't been able to find a way to stop it on my Home edition. You can wipe out the update files in the Software Distribution/Download folder, but next time you are online, it just downloads them again.

I have checked drivers and anti-virus and made a disc image backup - so now I will just let MS do it's thing and hope for the best.

Like so many others here, OOTP is the best - I would give up anything else on the computer before OOTP. And thanks for the Google drive tip. I will probably park a backup there just to be safe.

Last edited by Peanuts; 06-21-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
And thanks for the Google drive tip. I will probably park a backup there just to be safe.
i just put all my back-ups on an external drive. after the year is complete, i erase all but the final one, then start the next year .... i back up every time i finish a session, one game or 30 or every change i make to the game settings ....so i get a lot of backups in a season. just an idea. that way i don't concern myself with uploading downloading bandwidth issues as some of the backups tend to get rather large if your league lasts for a long time and expands.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Ah sorry I am so use to win 10 pro and Enterprise I forgot about home edition

You can buy a windows 7 pro key from eBay usually for around $5 it will activate windows 10 pro. We've bought dozens and dozens.

For win 10 home you would probably have to run something like winaero tweaker to completely block updates. Its a great utility
Old 06-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

got access to group policy editor? (you'll know if you don't when you type "gpedit.msc" and nothing happens) this has steps to disable the hidden updates settings -- as i type this, i'd bet there's a reg edit to fix this problem too. if the gpe thing doesn't work, try that.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/fea...updates-728049

don't have group policy editor?

there's a 'hack' for adding gpe to win7 home, so i bet there's a way to add it to win 10 home...

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpe...ndows-10-home/

didn't read through it, but there's first google response.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote