Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #121
G-Nuke
Minors (Double A)

Finally got some time with the long weekend to put some time into FHM2.

I'm going to split this into 4 sections, one for the overall game play, and one for each mode.

1 - Overall interface and game play
The interface is really pretty (I say that with no sarcasm) but a bit cluttered. It took me a half hour or so to figure out where everything is. All in all a great upgrade, and I don't think much more than a few tweaks are necessary, and mostly I think it just needs to be a bit lighter visually. The game is easy to figure out, and the AI seems to have gotten better in terms of running it's organizations, etc... so kudos to all involved.

2 - Custom Game
First off, the creation interface wizard is excellent, and makes creating new games a breeze. I appreciate the back-to-basics approach, but right now it's a bit too basic. Once the game is begun, being able to expand is nice, but not having your minor league expand with you, not being able to change league structure (add divisions, conferences) and rules (Games played, add all star games), etc... make for a somewhat limited "sand-box" mode. If more customization is added to allow us an evolving custom universe, this could end up being a FUN, FUN mode!

3 - Modern Game
My biggest complaint for the modern game, is that there are still WAY too many inconsequential leagues that slow the game down to a crawl. Even unselecting the English and French leagues doesn't seem to do anything to speed up play. In custom and historical mousing over a player brings up a player card instantly, whereas it is a 2-3 second lag in modern play. Fast simming through a season in custom takes seconds, whereas in Modern it can take almost an hour. This is my biggest complaint. Let us customize our modern game, and lighten the load on the game engine. It's PAINFUL to play what is clearly intended to be your main game mode. Otherwise it's decent.

4 - Historical Game
Well, the player research is still bad, though no longer as laughable as FHM 2014... so kudos, I guess? Well WHA playoffs are mixed in with Stanley cup playoffs in player records in pre-loaded records, so that still makes me laugh.
I do like the added option of using the sim engine instead of the research yearly mis-ratings. It makes re-rating every player in the game less painful since doing it once usually does the trick.
The finances being adjusted for inflation is a definite step forward though. I have to give credit there. It's a small thing, but it helps immersion.
On the flip side, and this may be because I'm using 2004 (the lockout year) but I'm finding league rules a bit screwed up (No entre level deals in 2004?). The 2012 season has an 82 game season, with no option for 48 (1994, 2004, 2012 should all probably have options for shortened or full schedules).

Summary:
- Overall game is solid, and if this had been FHM2014, it would have blown peoples minds. I've encountered few real bugs
- The modern game needs to have options to lighten the load
- The historical game needs better research
- The custom game needs more customization options

It looks like the team is going to be introducing some new features even into the current version. If they can shore up the game this year, and add back in some customization and control features they will go a long way to winning back some more good will.

Speaking of good will, kudos to Cole for rehabilitating the community here. If not for him, I would have written this game off months ago.
G-Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #122
kohut
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica View Post
I am currently sitting on the fence. I bought FHM and it was complete garbage, but that was two years ago.

I think a lot of people are waiting and willing to take a risk on a game, but only after player reviews come out. Like most, I want to know how well the tactics are working, how player development is over the long run and the trading AI.

I personally will not be trusting reviews from non hardcore hockey sim sources. So if you have the game and put some time in to it, please post your opinions here as I would love to read them.
Honestly, I am disappointed still with AI trading. It honestly hasn't improved in my opinion. I would like to see trades on draft day to move up or down in the draft based on need or atleast perceived on their part, I would like to see the shop a player option where teams automatically make an offer, and I would like to see the option to select what you are looking for in return such as "prospects" "draft selections" "veterans" and positions you want teams to offer players playing. Heck, to add to realism the option to choose LHD and RHD defensemen would be a bonus. In my critical opinion, these are options that are essential in order for FHM 2 to be miles ahead of the competition.
kohut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #123
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohut View Post
Honestly, I am disappointed still with AI trading. It honestly hasn't improved in my opinion. I would like to see trades on draft day to move up or down in the draft based on need or atleast perceived on their part, I would like to see the shop a player option where teams automatically make an offer, and I would like to see the option to select what you are looking for in return such as "prospects" "draft selections" "veterans" and positions you want teams to offer players playing. Heck, to add to realism the option to choose LHD and RHD defensemen would be a bonus. In my critical opinion, these are options that are essential in order for FHM 2 to be miles ahead of the competition.
I would disagree with you that the trade AI has not improved. Not only has it improved from FHM 14 it's improved since the game released two weeks ago through patches. That being said it's far from perfect but should continue to get better.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #124
Empty Eightysix
Bat Boy

I have simmed until 2046 and I get the impression that generated players are generally worse than the starting batch of real players:
- From 2030 until 2045 only 2 players scored more than 50 goals in a season, the worst season was season 2035-36, when the top scorer scored only 35 goals.
- Same goes for points: it is now 2046 and the last time a player scored over a 100 points in a season was in 2029. The worst was in 2035-36, when the most points scored by a player was only 79.
Empty Eightysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #125
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Nuke View Post
Speaking of good will, kudos to Cole for rehabilitating the community here. If not for him, I would have written this game off months ago.
Hugely valid point. Cole has totally improved the communication on the forum and is always good for answering users questions or posts. So definitely kudos to Cole

Mario Lemieux - "Every day is a great day for hockey."
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #126
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Eightysix View Post
I have simmed until 2046 and I get the impression that generated players are generally worse than the starting batch of real players:
- From 2030 until 2045 only 2 players scored more than 50 goals in a season, the worst season was season 2035-36, when the top scorer scored only 35 goals.
- Same goes for points: it is now 2046 and the last time a player scored over a 100 points in a season was in 2029. The worst was in 2035-36, when the most points scored by a player was only 79.
hmm this was my question in the large question thread. i mistakenly had only searched that thread before i posted the question. you seem to confirm my concern.

this is just like ootp baseball. in ootp the real players and amateurs are overrated compared to fictionally created players. i guess they were sick of 'homers' complaining about low ratings. loud people ruin everything, lol. just a joke - i don't care why they do it. i merely care that it is a reality, regardless of cause.

guess i'll have to do a fictional league for hockey, too. i have not gotten into the game yet, but if it has anything like LTMs from ootp, you will have to slowly bump the league total mods over time as fictional players replace real players, or just play fictional form the start.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #127
Empty Eightysix
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
hmm this was my question in the large question thread. i mistakenly had only searched that thread before i posted the question. you seem to confirm my concern.

this is just like ootp baseball. in ootp the real players and amateurs are overrated compared to fictionally created players. i guess they were sick of 'homers' complaining about low ratings. loud people ruin everything, lol. just a joke - i don't care why they do it. i merely care that it is a reality, regardless of cause.

guess i'll have to do a fictional league for hockey, too. i have not gotten into the game yet, but if it has anything like LTMs from ootp, you will have to slowly bump the league total mods over time as fictional players replace real players, or just play fictional form the start.
I don't think loud people ruined this. I'm still investigating but it seems that random players just have worse stats or a bad combination of stats (like good technical skills but lacking physique or speed, or the other way around), whilst the 'real' players are usually well balanced and decent on every aspect. In the batch of 'real' players most good players have good/excellent physical ratings. But in a couple generations when the fictional players have taken over the league, even the best fictional players are severely lacking in at least one department like speed, strength, etc.

I think this can be fixed by boosting physical ratings slightly, so players with good physical ratings won't become as rare in a few decades. However I am still investigating this, so maybe there are different problems.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #128
umwoz
Minors (Single A)

Whats up with the 20 player roster limit in the preseason? I want to see how my prospects do.... but cant?
umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #129
NolaSola7
All Star Starter

great game!

great team listening to board members

I have edited games since the mid 90s .. Tony Larussa.... this is the best name generator I have ever seen ... maybe it just regenerates name from the huge database...

nice recovery form FHM14
NolaSola7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #130
KJDelaney
All Star Reserve

Game is not realistic.

I am a die hard Bruins fan and in my universe, the Bruins are winning. They have looked quite well. Coming off of a 4-0 shutout of the Lightning.

In my universe, the Bruins actually play defense.

So not like real life.

Could you, in the next patch, put together a better tactic that reflects the Bruins way of defense? I believe it is called the "Thumb in the Rectum" model.

Seriously, the game is LEAPS and BOUNDS better than the first. I am completely happy with this purchase.
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #131
Perceptor
Minors (Triple A)

I just want to give a shout out to Cole, Sebastian, and the team. I was asked to be a beta tester but due to family issues, was unable to really play. I purchased the game anyway as a way of thanking the team for even letting me test.

I spent the long weekend playing and really am happy with all the positive strides this game has made. Yes there are bugs and yes, it's still got room for improvement. Having said that, I do NOT regret buying the game and am excited to see how the game continues to develop.

I was extremely critical of the last game and this game has made me forget almost all of the ill will I had. It also helps when Cole, who as mentioned, has made a genuine and honest effort to rebuild the relationship with fans. I won't lie in saying that I still prefer EHM right now. However, I will continue to play the heck out of this game with the new patches and support it as I do OOTP Baseball.

In summary, thank you for a solid game and finally, I believe in this game's potential now and in the future. Also, to Cole, thanks for being awesome in taking our issues with the game and communicating in a professional and timely manner. While the ultimate goal is producing a successful game, it certainly helps when people are there that make the process smoother.
Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #132
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Whats up with the 20 player roster limit in the preseason? I want to see how my prospects do.... but cant?
In-game changes to roster size limits create a bit too much of a problem for the AI at the moment, but we're looking at workarounds, like being able to shuffle players between farm teams and the main roster in the preseason with no penalties, that'll let you experiment with your players in exhibition games.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #133
gmarko
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm at FA and every big name got there. The most funny thing in FA was that James Reimer wanted 7m for 6 seasons and Kopitar 6,85m for 5 seasons lol
gmarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #134
kexet
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Would have Schneider save 56 shots during a game again 10/10

EDIT:Also ended up winning the game in shootouts 11/10

Last edited by kexet; 10-14-2015 at 01:55 PM.
kexet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #135
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think loud people ruined this. I'm still investigating but it seems that random players just have worse stats or a bad combination of stats (like good technical skills but lacking physique or speed, or the other way around), whilst the 'real' players are usually well balanced and decent on every aspect. In the batch of 'real' players most good players have good/excellent physical ratings. But in a couple generations when the fictional players have taken over the league, even the best fictional players are severely lacking in at least one department like speed, strength, etc.

I think this can be fixed by boosting physical ratings slightly, so players with good physical ratings won't become as rare in a few decades. However I am still investigating this, so maybe there are different problems.
in ootp, the real players are just bloated in ratings compared to fictionally created players. ignore my comment on why... it's speculative and rhetorical in nature.

some of the numbers mentioned didn't sound that bad, really. you can't expect a 50goal or 100pt guy every year. i definitely need to brush up on what is normal for hockey. i am not as familiar with those stats compared to baseball. without a well-researched baseline, it's difficult to make assumptions.

but if league-wide stats drop once fictional players filter into the league that is just like how ootp works, currently. if you read those forums, there are plenty that use that as a reason to play fictional leagues. also, you will need 100+ years to verify. 20-30 years after real players are gone is not enough.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #136
Empty Eightysix
Bat Boy

Quote:
in ootp, the real players are just bloated in ratings compared to fictionally created players. ignore my comment on why... it's speculative and rhetorical in nature.

some of the numbers mentioned didn't sound that bad, really. you can't expect a 50goal or 100pt guy every year. i definitely need to brush up on what is normal for hockey. i am not as familiar with those stats compared to baseball. without a well-researched baseline, it's difficult to make assumptions.

but if league-wide stats drop once fictional players filter into the league that is just like how ootp works, currently. if you read those forums, there are plenty that use that as a reason to play fictional leagues. also, you will need 100+ years to verify. 20-30 years after real players are gone is not enough.
I've never played Ootp with real players, so I can't compare it to that.. I only ever play fiction. But with FHM somehow real players/teams appeal to me more, so I prefer to play that mode.

And yea it does brush up against what is normal, but it's good to aim for perfection.

I am doing exactly that; currently in the year 2079.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #137
Tonik427
Bat Boy

1st impressions

Just finished 1st season. Game is fun. Some weird things:
--I think every coach in minor leagues got fired. Coach who led team
to 104 points in my league got fired.
--I repeatedly got trade offers from the same team.
--In preview screen before game start, the head to head results differ from
team vs team, and sometimes show ties. Odd.
Tonik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #138
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never played Ootp with real players, so I can't compare it to that.. I only ever play fiction. But with FHM somehow real players/teams appeal to me more, so I prefer to play that mode.

And yea it does brush up against what is normal, but it's good to aim for perfection.

I am doing exactly that; currently in the year 2079.
so is there a drastic difference in talent distribution? i don't know if my question was ignored or lost in the large question thread.

i, too, prefer to play with real players. i learned the hard way about assuming in ootp baseball. i don't want to invest the time of playing out 20-30 years and realize an issue, and i don't want some arbitrary function masking problems with statistical output (see: "auto calc league total modifiers for statistical accuracy" in ootp baseball). i can't justify spending my money on that. each to their own, if it isn't important to them.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #139
Empty Eightysix
Bat Boy

Quote:
so is there a drastic difference in talent distribution? i don't know if my question was ignored or lost in the large question thread.

i, too, prefer to play with real players. i learned the hard way about assuming in ootp baseball. i don't want to invest the time of playing out 20-30 years and realize an issue, and i don't want some arbitrary function masking problems with statistical output (see: "auto calc league total modifiers for statistical accuracy" in ootp baseball). i can't justify spending my money on that. each to their own, if it isn't important to them.
Well the first batch of players seem to have better all round ratings. After a few decades such players become rare; even the players scoring the most points usually have at least one weak area in ratings like speed, acceleration, strength or some technical skill. I wouldn't say it looks bad, but it seems to be of enough influence for the fictional players to be noticably inferior to the starting batch of real players so there is room for improvement. Or maybe the real players are just a little overrated.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #140
johnnybourbon
Major Leagues

first impressions so far...

Aside from the one trade bug that I got and posted elsewhere, I haven't found anything buggy. News posts that are missing some words or links doesn't bother me, and I know those kind of things are fixed in my experience with ootp.

Other than that, big ups for AI improvements. It's very rare that I see a player waived or traded that is a head scratcher. The Coyotes did trade a minor league talent for an expiring contract in late June and had that player retire, but that's something I can see them doing irl. The trade offer module is on par, it's very hard to fleece the AI. They're not dumb. You truly have to give up talent to get talent. Even if you're trading with Dale Tallon on the other side. It would be amazing to have a "shop a player" function like ootp and that's been suggested in this thread.

The only thing I've been disappointed in thru 2 seasons is trade deadline's trade volume. IRL the amount of pieces moving is much more grand than the sim. Even late round draft picks for AHL depth talent IRL.
Minor pain is sometimes having to scroll the free agent center to see where 2-way talent signed, as they're not often worthy of a news post.

Overall though, 2014 has been uninstalled, and that's the bottomline.
On the corpse. My question is...
No, my question. I get to go first. Why in pluperfect hell would you pee on corpse?
Quote:
Cause there's a 50-50 chance a malnourished monkey is gonna pop up out of a toilet, shoot you in the face with a speargun.
johnnybourbon is offline   Reply With Quote