Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #21
xepicx2729
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankd87 View Post
hybrid lb/safety at SS.
oh like Kam Chancellor?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
DaPonz24
Bat Boy

Spread offense like at Oregon with a really good defense like the 3-4 that the Steelers run. I will start with the team that drafts Marcus Mariota.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

Started to really think about this. Here's a few people I want on my team:

QB: Blake Bortles
RB: Melvin Gordon
WR: Brandon LaFell

That would be a really awesome group for my team.

I'll update as I think of more.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #24
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

3-4 Defense with speedy pass-rushing OLB's and an Eagles style, fast paced, shotgun offense.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:46 AM   #25
HelgeBlendet
Bat Boy

Dominating defensive line, strong linebackers and DBs. Add a great kicker and return man.
Ultimate goal: Make it to the Superbowl without scoring a TD on offense. Only return TDs, pick6 and returned fumbles allowed. 1st down on 30? Go for the safe field goal.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
ruckuz
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelgeBlendet View Post
Dominating defensive line, strong linebackers and DBs. Add a great kicker and return man.
Ultimate goal: Make it to the Superbowl without scoring a TD on offense. Only return TDs, pick6 and returned fumbles allowed. 1st down on 30? Go for the safe field goal.
when the game is release, that should be a achievement award or something
Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #27
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

How many of you believe you could have an easier time building a winning team in football than baseball? I know I do. Baseball is my favorite sport but I know a lot more about football than I do baseball.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #28
gambler
Minors (Single A)

I'm very excited about this project. My preferences in general in building football teams in management sims are:

Lines first.
Prefer defense over offense.
Slight preference for running game over the passing game. (Overall team profile would be a smash mouth offense and a suffocating defense that can score)
Prefer draft over free agency.

The latter is true not because it makes a difference in most sims (and it's unclear whether things like "fit for the system", chemistry, and other things that create problems when relying on FA in the real world will matter in BTS), but because I like feeling like I really built the team myself. Going out and getting free agents after knowing they're good isn't as fun. I do however make good use of trading for players that I wanted in a draft but wasn't able to get. I also try to trade away players to get draft picks.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #29
xydra
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'd probably go with a defensive minded team. Go against the current QB grain.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #30
MajorSupreme
Minors (Rookie Ball)

When it comes to building a team, I think large veteran impact is important. I'd like to sign a veteran journeyman QB of the likes of Kyle Orton, Josh McCown, or Brian Hoyer and have him start for (half of) a season while a younger quarterback develops. And a personal want at QB would be more of a pocket QB with some mobility that could turn into a Roethlisberger. So a young Blake Bortles is my type of guy. I've always loved it when backup QBs get in the game, so I always want to keep the backup as a guy who could start on another team.

At running back, I prefer a two-to-three back system like the Patriots use. With the 2011-14 Pats, guys like Stevan Ridley and LeGarrett Blount took the majority of snaps on 1st and 2nd down, while speedster/receiving threats Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen handled the 3rd down responsibilities. And change-of-pace backs like Brandon Bolden or Jonas Gray for when starters exited the game for fatigue were excellent to have. So one-to-two power/inside running backs paired with a couple of speed guys and receiving backs would be a must. Receivers would be preferably tall all round, the one exception would be the slot. Speed is not a major factor, for the team would work in a west-coast type offense, based on short-medium routes with focus on a good run-game.

Being it is a passing league, an emphasis on the secondary is always important. I'd like to build around young-veterans at the safety positions, with shutdown and physical corners like Darrelle Revis, Richard Sherman, or Brandon Browner. Good coverage linebackers like Jamie Collins (you can see I'm a big Pats fan haha) would play outside, while a veteran linebacker like Karlos Dansby would play middle. I prefer a 4-3 defense, with strong pass rushing DEs and bull rushing DTs.

My kicker doesn't have to have a powerful leg, just good accuracy and consistency. Punter has to be able to pin team deep in their own territory.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #31
SFG
Minors (Single A)

Top-shelf QB is the top priority. You simply can't win consistently without one. Think of what Green Bay would be like without Aaron Rodgers... maybe 4-12? 5-11?

After that, I like the idea of building a team around big, strong bodies. Controlling the line of scrimmage is important.

I also like having a lot of draft picks. In OOTP, I enable draft pick trading and love having multiple early-round picks. I like keeping my team young and low-payroll, so whenever a guy is declining and/or entering a contract year, I like to send him off to some team willing to fork over the greatest value in the terms of a draft pick (or prospect I really like). Makes having a top-flight farm system easy with a steady stream of young, cheap talent.

In the NFL, I think the second- and third-round is where a lot of the value in the draft resides many years, so I like the idea of trading back when the board has weak or multiple relatively equivalent options available for the sake of acquiring more picks or draft choices of greater value in a future year.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #32
jimmybignuts
Bat Boy

As a die-hard Giants fan I'll be starting with them and looking for one last big push for glory with Eli still at the helm.

I always like to have plenty of draft picks and love building with young players and that's how I will approach my rebuild (once Eli calls it a day!). We already have plenty of nice young players, it will be a case of shoring up both lines and then getting myself a new franchise QB - easy!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #33
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I do enjoy this thread but two things:

1)Lots of posts seem to be along the lines of: I'll draft a top QB and pair him with an elite RB and some amazing WRs. Like it's easy.

2)Not a single post I have seen has even mentioned coaches. You're going to draft a QB in the first round and then what? Pair him with Rex Ryan? Are you going for a top Defensive HC or a top Offensive one? Or a balanced one? Will you expect the HC to suit your needs? Or will you base your needs on what the HC likes?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #34
SteelCurtain
Bat Boy

As I will start my first adventure with the Steelers I don't have to draft that top QB, elite RB and amazing WR thanks to Big Ben, Bell and Brown. I will focus a big part of the first FA and Draft on the Defense to give LeBeau the players he deserves. The first pick will be likely a pass rusher or a cornerback. Altough I will not pick need over an elite player. I will also look into a lot of NT's to anchor the defensive line. When I finally have the defense that the city of Pittsburgh deserves I will look to the future for Ben's replacement.

As of the HC I want to keep the tradition of the Steelers to pick defensive minded coaches and keep them for a long time. (Noll, Cowher and Tomlin)
When I change my HC, DC or OC I will definetly listen to his wishes and adjust the team as far as possible.

In an other game I want to recreate the Steel Curtain by switching back to a 4-3, draft relentless DT's, strong DE's, a coverage linebacker, run-stopping linebacker and a jack of all trades. As for the secondary, 2 man-to-man corners and ball hawks as safety's. (This will probably take a couple of years/drafts.)
Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post

1)Lots of posts seem to be along the lines of: I'll draft a top QB and pair him with an elite RB and some amazing WRs. Like it's easy.

2)Not a single post I have seen has even mentioned coaches. You're going to draft a QB in the first round and then what? Pair him with Rex Ryan? Are you going for a top Defensive HC or a top Offensive one? Or a balanced one? Will you expect the HC to suit your needs? Or will you base your needs on what the HC likes?
We are all like Jerry Jones, the owner, the GM and the coach...
Old 12-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #36
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

[QUOTE=Francis Cole;3790855]I do enjoy this thread but two things:

[QUOTE]
haha I almost posted that exact same thing two days ago.

But it is possible, I guess, I've seen stuff like that in PFS AND the teams can keep it up for a long time, for example: http://cfa-football.com/league/Teams/7.html this team has been to the championship 4 times and won twice in 7 years, most of their backups would be stars on my team, also they've won over 80% of their games all-time.

NOTE: this is not my team, I wish it was though.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #37
HelgeBlendet
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
haha I almost posted that exact same thing two days ago.

But it is possible, I guess, I've seen stuff like that in PFS AND the teams can keep it up for a long time, for example: http://cfa-football.com/league/Teams/7.html this team has been to the championship 4 times and won twice in 7 years, most of their backups would be stars on my team, also they've won over 80% of their games all-time.

NOTE: this is not my team, I wish it was though.
Looking at that roster, I'd say, that players agree to cheeper contracts than they should and/or trades are exploitable against the AI, and/or the AI is too bad at scouting and/or too many good players are created.

I really hope you won't be able to get super-squads in BTS (at least in un-edited leagues playing the game out of the box... I don't care what happens if you customize anything)
Old 12-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #38
MajorSupreme
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

1. Hey man, I live and die by the journeyman QB haha.
2. Josh McDaniels as my HC, Marc Trestman as the OC, and Jack Del Rio as DC.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #39
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelgeBlendet View Post
Looking at that roster, I'd say, that players agree to cheeper contracts than they should and/or trades are exploitable against the AI, and/or the AI is too bad at scouting and/or too many good players are created.

I really hope you won't be able to get super-squads in BTS (at least in un-edited leagues playing the game out of the box... I don't care what happens if you customize anything)
1) there are no AI teams
2) What he does is trades all his good players for draft picks once they get to be 27+. SO he has an eternal fountain of youth, in a way.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #40
SFG
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

1) Lol, yeah. I went easy in my post by just mentioning a stud QB and focusing on having good lines. (Prefer a physical team over a finesse team.) Would be sweet to have great young players at every position.

2) If we coach the games, will the side-of-the-ball coaching focus only influence player development? Like if you have a Rex Ryan, your defensive players are more likely to develop quickly and less likely to bust or perform poorly?