Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
afcchamp88
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Bullpen rules?

Hey, a couple questions about how the game handles warming up.

If my pitcher gets hurt and I have insert a reliever, does he come in already in "Ready" status? What about after a rain delay when your pitcher is pretty much automatically at "exhausted?" I don't want to leave him in, but can't warm a guy up fast enough. In the real situation, a different guy would start loosening right when the tarp comes up.

What about the AI controlled team? Same rules? Sometimes they bring in 3 new guys back to back after a delay, in which there's no way they could be ready, with only 2 bullpen spots.

Thanks!
afcchamp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

Couple of things...the AI doesn't actually "use" the warmup feature. Their pitchers will always come in as "ready".

YOUR pitchers, after an injury or rain delay, will come in as "cold" because they didn't warm up in the bullpen. Flawed system, I know. This is why I disable the warmup feature, because it is nothing but a major disadvantage to the human-controlled team.
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
afcchamp88
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I always knew the computer was cheating me...

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
Couple of things...the AI doesn't actually "use" the warmup feature. Their pitchers will always come in as "ready".

YOUR pitchers, after an injury or rain delay, will come in as "cold" because they didn't warm up in the bullpen. Flawed system, I know. This is why I disable the warmup feature, because it is nothing but a major disadvantage to the human-controlled team.
This is the only thing keeping me from playing this game. I ditched OOTP13 because of the A.I. bullpen mess. If the A.I. manager doesn't have to warm up relievers in-game, then this does not accurately simulate MLB. It's a gamebreaker for me because the day-to-day handling of the pitching staff is my favorite aspect of baseball.
oldtimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Not warming relievers up is a game breaker? Seems like a trivial thing for a game breaker but to each their own. I turn off that feature as well

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey View Post
This is the only thing keeping me from playing this game. I ditched OOTP13 because of the A.I. bullpen mess. If the A.I. manager doesn't have to warm up relievers in-game, then this does not accurately simulate MLB. It's a gamebreaker for me because the day-to-day handling of the pitching staff is my favorite aspect of baseball.
Yeah, I don't consider it a mess at all. Honestly, I would hope that the AI manager would have the smarts to adequately warm up pitchers for the strategy he is trying to employ.

In all my years of watching baseball, I've only ever really seen a major league manager mishandle warming guys up twice, and once was because of a phone malfunction.

Having the CPU be able to screw up on something that is essentially so trivial would just make the AI even easier to beat. To each his own, though.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
Yeah, I don't consider it a mess at all. Honestly, I would hope that the AI manager would have the smarts to adequately warm up pitchers for the strategy he is trying to employ.

In all my years of watching baseball, I've only ever really seen a major league manager mishandle warming guys up twice, and once was because of a phone malfunction.

Having the CPU be able to screw up on something that is essentially so trivial would just make the AI even easier to beat. To each his own, though.
This is exactly why it doesn't bother me in the least. While it would be a neat feature to be able to see who the AI has warming up, it's not exactly taxing my imagination to believe that the opposing manager has his guys warmed up properly.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
oldtimey
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Not warming relievers up is a game breaker? Seems like a trivial thing for a game breaker but to each their own. I turn off that feature as well

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
It's just the way I prefer to play. After doing all front office/GM type things for all 30 teams, all in-game strategy is all A.I. I am just a spectator keeping a scorecard. As a game goes into its later innings, as starters tire, the drama increases as the bullpens become the focal point. When I played OOTP13, this was not emphasized. There was no reference to bullpen activity and no visual bullpen to refer to. Relievers just popped into the game off the bench. To me, that did not simulate what happens in a MLB baseball game. It's just the way I play. I believe any sports sim plays a better game against itself. So, this might be trivial to those who want to rewrite baseball history, or rule a baseball universe, but, day-to-day, I just want to see a good game represented with everything that makes us anticipate the next game. In my current 2014 baseball sim, I just saw the Mets-Marlins game go into the top of the ninth, with the Mets leading 4-0, behind a superb start by Bartolo Colon. The game before, the Mets killed the Fish 11-6, emasculating their bullpen in the process. Miami pinch-hit for their pitcher in the bottom of the 8th, so they send in Steve Cishek, their closer to mop up after using five relievers for this game. Cishek had not been used by the Fish since a Friday win (this game was on Tuesday), as they had lost 3 straight. So he is getting some work in. Coming into the game, he had not walked a batter in 9 appearances. By the time he was done with the top of the 9th, he had walked the bases loaded, then hit a batter,and threw a wild pitch for 2 runs. Because he threw 30 pitches in the process, he might not be available for the series finale tomorrow if the Marlins need him to close the game. Another pitcher (long reliever/spot starter) could not get ready quick enough. Sound familiar? It happens in real baseball and it happened last night in my 2014 sim, A.I. vs. A.I. All I'm looking for is a real MLB game experience. OOTP is great for everything but that for me. My opinion is based on v12 and 13.
oldtimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
Mikex5
Minors (Rookie Ball)

One thing that bothers me, not a game breaker though, is that in RL, most bullpen guys can be warmed up within 2 batters. But there are times when 4 or 5 guys bat and my pitchers are still not warmed up.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
afcchamp88
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
This is exactly why it doesn't bother me in the least. While it would be a neat feature to be able to see who the AI has warming up, it's not exactly taxing my imagination to believe that the opposing manager has his guys warmed up properly.
I do agree that a manager should be able to handle his bullpen correctly, but it is giving the CPU an advantage when there's an injury or rain delay that their pitcher comes in warmed up and mine does not. That's the problem. It's not consistent.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
swoboda
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

I play in the Commish mode and I play out all of the games for one team. I wondered about the rain delay injury consequences for losing your starter. Thanks for clearing that up. I have to say it would be a nice enhancement if you could see who the AI was warming up. It could affect who you pick for a pinch hitter and when.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikex5 View Post
One thing that bothers me, not a game breaker though, is that in RL, most bullpen guys can be warmed up within 2 batters. But there are times when 4 or 5 guys bat and my pitchers are still not warmed up.
So even more reason to turn it off. The few times I've used it that was my game breaker for that feature.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote