Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #21
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Exactly my scenario.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Wow I guess I was wrong on frequency.

Baseball's Triple Plays - Play Combinations

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
Old 04-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Just curious if Prince Fielder was running in the OP?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree with the others about submitting this to bug report, I don't think there would be any way the runner would be going back to third in that scenario.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #24
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Ball hit right to 3b, runner freezes/runs back to third. Ball is thrown to second base, runner breaks for home, ball is thrown to first, run should score there if no out at first.

The second the 3b releases the ball, the run should score. UNLESS, the reason they didn't complete the triple play is the relay guy, probably the ss, looked the runner back to third, or faked a throw, or w/e, but I can't imagine that being the case when a TP ends the inning.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #25
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

I also fully agree that it should be sent to see if it is a result of a bug.

However, I disagree with your assessment that the runner would in no way be going back to 3rd. From years of playing, coaching, umpiring and watching there is very much a reason it is called the Hot Corner. Things happen so fast it's mostly instinct before thought.

(From the perspective of the runner)
With no outs and bases loaded the runner on third is not going to break on contact. If he breaks on contact he will be doubled off on any line drive at an infielder. He is going to play conservatively knowing that he can a) score easily since he is only 90 feet away or b) if he ends up back at 3rd he still has another opportunity to score easily on the next play.

There is the saying that "You never make the 1st or last out at 3rd or home." (Think about why)

The only time the runner would be taking a more agressive run at home in this situation is if the infield is playing in and there will be a foot race. Of course an infield playing in makes the odds of a line drive being caught significantly less and the odds of the 3rd baseman getting the bag in time to tag or catch the throw much less likely. The runner recognizes the defense has given up the double play and likely the trailing runner will replace him at 3rd if he makes an out.

Overall, the runner on 3rd will stick his position until it is clear that the ball is on the ground. Once he certain of the situation he will break for home or return to 3rd.

(From the perspective of playing 3B)
Without full detail or a visual of the OPs play it's hard to tell exactly what happened. I do maintain though that a low line drive will hang up that runner for a moment. It even may cause him to dive back into 3rd to avoid being doubled.

Before the play the 3B decides his options. He get the ball he's going to think FORCE and hit that bag. It will not matter in his head whether he's forcing the runner on 2nd or 3rd. He will make that play and look to get rid of the ball. NOT determine which guy he got out at 3rd. In fact, he likely has already given up on a play at home in any case. His next move will be to throw to 2B and if there is no play there, look at 1B. If there is no play anywhere he will hold the ball.

There is a very good shot that the play was so bang bang at 3B that the runner decided to return to the safety of 3B. And if the ball stayed in the infield he would not chance breaking for home.

OOTP MODS:
available at...

Last edited by Gambo; 04-24-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
Wow I guess I was wrong on frequency.
Baseball's always weirder than you think it is.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #27
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
Just to be clear here, we're talking about a bases loaded situation, with a GIDP, not a triple play, with the runner not scoring from third. I think that's a problem, I wasn't discussing an actual triple play not scoring a run as a problem at all.
Yes, there was an ATTEMPTED triple play, which I've not observed noted in PBP in OOTP before.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
No problem. As you can see from my profile, I've given nearly 10,000 over the years.
That's even more impressive!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #29
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
I also fully agree that it should be sent to see if it is a result of a bug.

[snip, "but"]

There is a very good shot that the play was so bang bang at 3B that the runner decided to return to the safety of 3B. And if the ball stayed in the infield he would not chance breaking for home.
This was my original premise but the more I think of it, the more unlikely it would seem to be without some sort of corresponding mention in the PbP. I think pstrickert had the right idea.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote