Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #481
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
As I predicted...Cards lose again. Waino at least didn't embarrass himself tonight. Still think Sox in 7. No way in hell Cards win 2 in Boston. Wacha's going to need a complete game shutout just to win Game 6 at this rate, thanks to Cards' inability to hit and Matheny's inept bullpen usage. We're hosed.

At this point, don't even care who wins. If Cards rally, great. If not, one day closer to that imbecile Matheny getting the ax like Dusty got in Cincy. I have nothing against the Sox personally, but the sports media's never-ending orgasm over them and the Yankees gets old, not just to Cardinal fans, but to most Midwestern baseball fans.
Really? You think they are going to axe a manager who made the World Series? I guess bobby valentine would do a better job?

Also, have you missed the constant ball washing about the cardinals young starters? All of game 2 was the lets get to know Michael Wacha. Let's meet his family, let's talk about him all game. Same with Kelly.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #482
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
What is it about being a twins fan that you hate the Red Sox? Is it sour grapes over David Ortiz?? future hall of famer David Ortiz
Big Market team. Hard to compete financially. I hate the Yankees much worse.

Nah, I like Papi! I dont think the Red Sox really stole him as the Twins didnt even want him.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #483
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Big Market team. Hard to compete financially. I hate the Yankees much worse.

Nah, I like Papi! I dont think the Red Sox really stole him as the Twins didnt even want him.
Can't say these are the Red Sox of years past. I'm sure their payroll is still high, but nothing like the dodgers now.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #484
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Actually, the Red Sox are not that far behind the Dodgers in terms of franchise valuation.

The Yankees rank first in a new study of MLB franchise values at a cool $3.3 billion. The Los Angeles Dodgers come in at $2.1 billion and the Boston Red Sox are number 3 at $2.06 billion, according to Bloomberg...

Infographic here

Last edited by themonk; 10-29-2013 at 01:24 AM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #485
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Oh, the Yankees are much worse...and the Dodgers...but that damned Red Sox-Yankees thing....good lord, it gets old. What about Dodgers-Giants? Cards-Cubs? Nope. Midwestern terms get shafted. Case in point: Red Sox ending their curse in '04 vs. White Sox ending theirs in '05. Which got WAY more media attention? That still sticks in my craw a bit. Wacha only had to beat the best pitcher in baseball twice in one series to get that attention...

With Matheny...I personally just can't stand the guy. The Shelby Miller weirdness bugs me big-time. The man keeps going with pitchers who can't get the job done, but won't give the future of the rotation a chance. He'd rather play favorites than win, I guess. Cards seem to win in spite of him, not because of him. I think Oquendo would have been better, or at least less likely to play favorites.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #486
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
With Matheny...I personally just can't stand the guy. The Shelby Miller weirdness bugs me big-time. The man keeps going with pitchers who can't get the job done, but won't give the future of the rotation a chance. He'd rather play favorites than win, I guess. Cards seem to win in spite of him, not because of him. I think Oquendo would have been better, or at least less likely to play favorites.
It couldn't possibly be that Matheny -- being with the team every day and everything -- might know something about Miller and his dead arm that we don't. No, it must be that the guy doesn't want to use his best arms in the World Series because he's stupid. Or because he "plays favourites." Yep, that must be it.

"Matheny lost in the NLCS and is about to lose in the World Series in his first two years as manager! Fire his ass, he sucks!"

I love sports, but sometimes I really hate sports fans.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #487
BoSoxFan
Major Leagues

Quote:
Oh, the Yankees are much worse...and the Dodgers...but that damned Red Sox-Yankees thing....good lord, it gets old. What about Dodgers-Giants? Cards-Cubs? Nope. Midwestern terms get shafted. Case in point: Red Sox ending their curse in '04 vs. White Sox ending theirs in '05. Which got WAY more media attention? That still sticks in my craw a bit. Wacha only had to beat the best pitcher in baseball twice in one series to get that attention...

The White Sox ending their drought should surely have gotten more media attention, but I thnk one of the reasons they focused on the Sox "curse" is the way their franchise was during the drought. The White Sox just stunk for the 88 years of the drought (apart from a few blips on the radar like '59 and '83), while the Red Sox fielded consistently good teams throughout their drought (apart from some down times like the '60s), and lost 8 (possibly more) sudden death games in that span.
BoSoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #488
Tony M
Global Moderator

Including regular season games

106 - St Louis Cardinals wins
107 - Boston Red Sox wins
108 - Total Wins needed to be
109th World Series Champions
Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #489
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik W. View Post
It couldn't possibly be that Matheny -- being with the team every day and everything -- might know something about Miller and his dead arm that we don't. No, it must be that the guy doesn't want to use his best arms in the World Series because he's stupid. Or because he "plays favourites." Yep, that must be it.

"Matheny lost in the NLCS and is about to lose in the World Series in his first two years as manager! Fire his ass, he sucks!"

I love sports, but sometimes I really hate sports fans.
Then, maybe he should stick the kid on the DL, and give the roster spot to somebody who can pitch? Either he's not using a good pitcher, or he's wasting a roster spot. Does that sound like a good manager?

I just don't like the guy. Call it personal bias or whatever. Can't stand him. Even if they won the Series, I still wouldn't like him. And I didn't say they should fire him NOW...even I'd give him one more year, maybe two, to win it all. But as I said, I just don't see it happening. Besides, I'm very Steinbrenner-ian in my managerial moves. In OOTP, I nearly fired a guy who'd won three Series in a row because the team went on a five-game losing streak to fall to .500. In May. If they'd lost one more, I was totally going to can him in favor of my AAA manager.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #490
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxFan View Post
The White Sox ending their drought should surely have gotten more media attention, but I thnk one of the reasons they focused on the Sox "curse" is the way their franchise was during the drought. The White Sox just stunk for the 88 years of the drought (apart from a few blips on the radar like '59 and '83), while the Red Sox fielded consistently good teams throughout their drought (apart from some down times like the '60s), and lost 8 (possibly more) sudden death games in that span.
That, and the Cubs seem to be the golden boys in the Chicago market for reasons I can't fathom. Other than a few division titles since '84 and that tease in '03, their record makes the White Sox look good.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #491
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Besides, I'm very Steinbrenner-ian in my managerial moves. In OOTP, I nearly fired a guy who'd won three Series in a row because the team went on a five-game losing streak to fall to .500. In May. If they'd lost one more, I was totally going to can him in favor of my AAA manager.
So that's where your nickname comes from.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #492
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Well, much as I hate the Yankees, they did win a lot in the 70s despite changing managers more than some people change socks. Granted, ol' Georgie's tactics did catch up with him in the 80s, which remains the only decade since the 1910s that they didn't win a title (not counting the current one, which is far from over, although I'm hoping it'll be the second).
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #493
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
So that's where your nickname comes from.
I thought it had to to with a certain quotient score.....

Cardinal fans are all idiots, no matter how smart they are....spoiled, too....

....and it doesn't matter if they are from St. Louis or Louisville.....

....and they'd sell secrets to the commies, if they knew any.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #494
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, much as I hate the Yankees, they did win a lot in the 70s despite changing managers more than some people change socks. Granted, ol' Georgie's tactics did catch up with him in the 80s, which remains the only decade since the 1910s that they didn't win a title (not counting the current one, which is far from over, although I'm hoping it'll be the second).
Yankees did not win any thing in the 70's until they changed the rules to let them buy players rather than develop their own.....
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #495
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That, and the Cubs seem to be the golden boys in the Chicago market for reasons I can't fathom. Other than a few division titles since '84 and that tease in '03, their record makes the White Sox look good.
It has to do with geography......
Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #496
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Cardinal fans are all idiots, no matter how smart they are....spoiled, too....

....and it doesn't matter if they are from St. Louis or Louisville.....

Wow.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #497
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then, maybe he should stick the kid on the DL, and give the roster spot to somebody who can pitch? Either he's not using a good pitcher, or he's wasting a roster spot. Does that sound like a good manager?
I am pretty sure that the roster decision is Mozeliak's, not Matheny.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #498
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but I think one of the reasons they focused on the Sox "curse" is the way their franchise was during the drought.
And they traded away the games best player, to their rival, who stomped on them for 80+ years, for cash.
"Their franchise" was red headed step childed for almost a century.
I completely agree.

Sorry, lots of family in Boston. I only really mean to rub it in a little.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #499
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Wait, because I don't like Matheny, I'm spoiled? Just because I think Qquendo would be a better fit as manager? Wow, whatever. And you seem to have some really creepy, hateful thing against anybody who dares root for the Cardinals, Questdog. At what point did I insult you personally? Or even the Sox, except for saying that the media's in love with them? That's an indictment of the media, not the Boston Red Sox. Your attack was way out of line.

Besides, truly spoiled Cardinal fans call for the GM's head, too. Not me. I love what Mozeliak's doing, developing great players through the system, especially pitchers. Much like the Braves back in the late 80s-early 90s. I just worry that as long as Matheny's around, the Cards will end up like those Braves - tons of playoff appearances, with very little to show for it.

Last edited by ThatSeventiesGuy; 10-29-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #500
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I am pretty sure that the roster decision is Mozeliak's, not Matheny.
True, but it is Matheny's job to tell the GM if a player is hurt, so he can make roster decisions. I've never cared for the whole thing in the NFL where they cover up injuries, and therefore hope it's not carrying over to baseball.