Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
LarryDu4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I really like this game but...

...even though I only play OOTP in what is probably its least complex mode (historical with as played lineups and in-game managing of one team) I still encounter anomalies that mystify me. I started my historical replay with the 1950 baseball season (when I was. in fact, eight years old) and added player pics of the Boston Red Sox...it's been fun to see these pics pop up on other teams in subsequent seasons. At one point I decided to change the pic I'd been using for my boyhood hero, Ted Williams. I deleted the original Williams pic and added the new one. Since that time whenever I play a BoSox home game I see the new pic; if it's an away game, the original pic still shows up. I downloaded and imported PStrickart's ballpark photos for this era, and, for the most part, they work just fine. However, some ballpark photos which appear perfectly in the ballpark folder and are correctly identified in the team's settings appear only as a totally black background with the player names in their respective positions.
So, on the one had, the program seems to be able to access a player photo which shouldn't be there at all, but is unable to access a ballpark photo which seems like it ought to be there....very puzzling!
I am playing OOTP in version 15; I bought version 16 but I haven't attempted to migrate my league into it for fear that I'll encounter some new problem which will keep me from enjoying the game altogether. The "problems" I've described are admittedly minor, but if anyone has insights or comments about them I'd be very appreciative.
LarryDu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDu4 View Post
...even though I only play OOTP in what is probably its least complex mode (historical with as played lineups and in-game managing of one team) I still encounter anomalies that mystify me. I started my historical replay with the 1950 baseball season (when I was. in fact, eight years old) and added player pics of the Boston Red Sox...it's been fun to see these pics pop up on other teams in subsequent seasons. At one point I decided to change the pic I'd been using for my boyhood hero, Ted Williams. I deleted the original Williams pic and added the new one. Since that time whenever I play a BoSox home game I see the new pic; if it's an away game, the original pic still shows up. I downloaded and imported PStrickart's ballpark photos for this era, and, for the most part, they work just fine. However, some ballpark photos which appear perfectly in the ballpark folder and are correctly identified in the team's settings appear only as a totally black background with the player names in their respective positions.
So, on the one had, the program seems to be able to access a player photo which shouldn't be there at all, but is unable to access a ballpark photo which seems like it ought to be there....very puzzling!
I am playing OOTP in version 15; I bought version 16 but I haven't attempted to migrate my league into it for fear that I'll encounter some new problem which will keep me from enjoying the game altogether. The "problems" I've described are admittedly minor, but if anyone has insights or comments about them I'd be very appreciative.
a big maybe: (edit, whether player or ballparks all the same suggestions)

i thnk they changed allowable formats of pics at some point in the past... ??

first, know a pic that works correctly, then when you see one that is blank, compare the formats of the two related files - even if same extension. possibly it's even the resolution that is wrong.

there must be something different about those files for them to be handled differently by the game.

the new pic formats save space i believe? anyway, the forums mention a program that can be used to convert/save as that file type. i couldn't tell you where it is though.

i would hope it allows some sort of batch processing so you don't have to load each faulty file and fix.

maybe related: there is a checkbox for away jerseys to be activated... it's not only when away is it? try it enabled and not enabled, compare home/away pic files etc.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-07-2016 at 07:17 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
LarryDu4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for your input NoOne. I've checked the format and sizes of the different ballpark photos; some do vary in size, but the one's that do not appear (eg., Memorial Stadium) is neither larger or smaller than other's that do work. All are .jpg files.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for your input NoOne. I've checked the format and sizes of the different ballpark photos; some do vary in size, but the one's that do not appear (eg., Memorial Stadium) is neither larger or smaller than other's that do work. All are .jpg files.
the extension won't tell you everything... google a media info tool or something.. sorry i don't have the vocabulary for you.

look through the manual for allowed formats - beyond being a jpeg. try a different type or ...

it could be the aspect ratio in some situations. so the size is only part of it. makes sure L*W is in same proportion.

computers can only do what they are told/coded to do and they do it in a consistent manner like clockwork. so, if it handles the files differently, they are different in some important way relative to that function. it has to be based on something tangible - most likely something different between the files but not limited to. it is no accident that it is occurring.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-09-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I use player photos in my Endor league for non humans. Ewoks, Mon Cal, Wookies etc. They all show up in their home jerseys and all show up as fictional facegens on the road. No clue why.

Did you check if Memorial is in pstrickets file? Here is Gambo's version.

What year did you use for the memorial stadium from psstrickets file? i checked 1953 and a photo file is not in there. The 2nd set i posted is from 1971.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
LarryDu4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for you input The Game. I'm using the pic for Memorial Stadium in PStrickert's file for 1955. As indicated, the day and night pics show up very nicely in my ballparks file, but nothing but black when playing a game at Memorial Stadium.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for you input The Game. I'm using the pic for Memorial Stadium in PStrickert's file for 1955. As indicated, the day and night pics show up very nicely in my ballparks file, but nothing but black when playing a game at Memorial Stadium.
try manually importing the poark and see what happens. Team file - edit ballpark - Pictures & coordinates - Load
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
LarryDu4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks to your help I finally got it! Although I could see the pic in the ballpark folder, I had never actually loaded it.
Previously when I went to edit ballpark I mistakenly assumed you could only alter dimensions, etc., and had never noticed that you could load a picture manually.
It's really great that this community will take the time and trouble to help out those of us who are not familiar with features of this great game (and who are technologically challenged).
Now, if someone can explain how the game can continue to access a player picture that I have deleted from the player picture file
Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks to your help I finally got it! Although I could see the pic in the ballpark folder, I had never actually loaded it.
Previously when I went to edit ballpark I mistakenly assumed you could only alter dimensions, etc., and had never noticed that you could load a picture manually.
It's really great that this community will take the time and trouble to help out those of us who are not familiar with features of this great game (and who are technologically challenged).
Now, if someone can explain how the game can continue to access a player picture that I have deleted from the player picture file
if the league was created before you deleted it? go into the .lg folder and search for that pic name?

it could be in multiple locations. just search entire pc for that file name... if you find it in odd user directories or elswhere, you've found where it is stashing the file.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
LarryDu4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The second ted_williams pic I used was created after the league had started. I found quite a few ted_williams files in a search of my C: drive, but only one was a graphics type file which is the link to the second pic. Still no clue how the game is finding the original pic which I deleted before adding the second pic. This "problem" doesn't really affect the gameplay, but it certainly makes me curious about why it's happening.