Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

3000 hits - automatic hall?

Curious to get feedback from people on whether 3000 hits is an automatic induction into the Hall of Fame these days. I think every real life player with 3000 is in the hall other than steroid folks.

I have two players in my league with 3000 hits who aren't in the hall. I let the game choose hall entirely and I have no input. They have peaked at 40% on the ballot. Would you just manually induct them? Would you need to see other stats to make that decision? Or do you, like me, consider 3000 to be an automatic invitation to the HALL.
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Can you post their full career stats?
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Not automatic for me, but:

1) I'm a little different

2) "It's your game, play it your way"
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
GoodOlKevin
Minors (Single A)

Would love to see these players full career stats
GoodOlKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

How many awards have the won? If they have gotten to 3000, without winning any or many awards it makes sense. i would put them in.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What injury setting do you use?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

The first guy, Gallo, just barely made over 3000 hits. I signed him in his last year just so he could get to 3000.

The other guy, Clark finished just short of 3000 (i thought he had 3000). But for being injury plagued in the middle of his career- would have made it easily. He had 2007 times, lifetime 322 hitter and batted 382 one year!!!

Neither one has come close to the Hall.

My injury settings are NORMAL i believe....
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

By way of comparison to rest of league - only 6 players have 3000 hits.

Both guys are in the top 10 all time.

Interestingly enough - the top player - with 3700 hits - is still active - still playing and is likely to get to 4000. A singles hitter with less than 50 homers in his career. Leads my career in every conceivable stat other than homers and rbis.....
Attached Images
Old 03-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
The first guy, Gallo, just barely made over 3000 hits. I signed him in his last year just so he could get to 3000.

The other guy, Clark finished just short of 3000 (i thought he had 3000). But for being injury plagued in the middle of his career- would have made it easily. He had 2007 times, lifetime 322 hitter and batted 382 one year!!!

Neither one has come close to the Hall.

My injury settings are NORMAL i believe....
Sorry to get a bit of topic, but any chance you could share the Pennant icon?
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Not sure where i got the pennant icon from - isn't it just from Questdog's SKIN?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure where i got the pennant icon from - isn't it just from Questdog's SKIN?
It'll be in your skins folder in the images folder - would be gr8 if you could attach a copy here, thanks.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

No to both for me. Clark is closer than Gallo.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #13
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Yes to both.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

I don't think Gallo deserves it, he accumulated about as much WAR in his entire career as Clarke did in his first 6 seasons. The only reason he got to 3000 was because he abjectly refused to retire until he did, and you even admitted that you signed him just so that he could get there. Don't think he belongs in the Hall.

Clark has a better shout IMO, but his career basically died in 2024, despite an attempt at a revival after leaving DAY(tona?)

I'd wouldn't vote for either. Hits aren't the only thing that matters.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #15
ttaka808
Minors (Triple A)

Only Gallo for me because his HOF Monitor metric is higher, meaning that he is better than the average HOF. Clark is way below.
ttaka808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Nothing can ever be automatic. If Fred McGriff had hit 500 HR instead or 493 would he be a HoF. I don't think so. This pains me because he was a personal favorite and he may be the poster person for the hall of "the very very good".

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #17
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Nothing can ever be automatic. If Fred McGriff had hit 500 HR instead or 493 would he be a HoF. I don't think so. This pains me because he was a personal favorite and he may be the poster person for the hall of "the very very good".
I'm with you on McGriff, and on the sentiment that nothing is automatic. What if a player gets 3,000 hits, but sucks at baserunning/base stealing, and on defense, can't hit for power, can't get on base, and hits into lots of double plays? - does he belong just because he reached the magic 3,000 hit level? I'm not so sure about that. Same thing goes for 500 HR. I have one 3,000 hit guy (Ken Griffey Sr.) and one 500 HR guy (Dave Kingman) who I don't ever want to see get into my HoF in my random debut historical league, unless they buy a ticket.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-03-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #18
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Interesting feedback. I would say that Clark is unequivocally a hall of famer. A 322 lifetime batting average. Two batting titles. 7 seasons with 200 hits. Best hitter in the league for 10 seasons.

Even after his prime in 2024 he had two resurrection seasons where he hit over 300.

You boys are tough graders
Old 03-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You boys are tough graders
You've gotta be. The HoF should represent the top 1% of your league. It's a museum that's supposed to house the greatest to ever play the game, not merely the good to very good.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #20
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I'm with you on McGriff, and on the sentiment that nothing is automatic. What if a player gets 3,000 hits, but sucks at baserunning/base stealing, and on defense, can't hit for power, can't get on base, and hits into lots of double plays? - does he belong just because he reached the magic 3,000 hit level? I'm not so sure about that. Same thing goes for 500 HR. I have one 3,000 hit guy (Ken Griffey Sr.) and one 500 HR guy (Dave Kingman) who I don't ever want to see get into my HoF in my random debut historical league, unless they buy a ticket.
I get your point, but has there ever been a guy like you mentioned above to reach 3000 hits? Looking at MLB's list of 3000 hit guys, I see not a single one that wasn't a great player, not a single one not worthy of the Hall. I guess if a guy like you mentioned comes along, I will start questioning 3000 being automatic, but I think I will be waiting a long long time.

As for OOTP, I think the injury setting one uses has to be considered. Less than normal and I think I too would question 3000 being automatic. I'm 42 years into the league I'm playing and I have 3 3000+ guys total. Pete Rose retired with less than 3000 hits. Cobb now has over 3000, but he's 45. Injuries slowed his pace tremendously. I use high realistic.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote