Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Auto-generated stories

I'm just curious, and if this has been asked I apologize, are the stories generated all from the winning team, based on perspective (like stories talking about your team as a GM or manager), or can we choose?
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I'm SUPER pumped for this feature. I just hope there's a lot of recap templates created so they don't become repetitive after awhile. I can't imagine text stuff like that would be fun to code.

Very promising feature.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Personally i'm guessing it will work a lot like the other news stories where there were fewer to start with, still enough you wouldn't see something repeated more than once or so per season, and then grow each year from there. And I'm totally cool with that. I've held out hope for something like this for a long time now.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

It is a pretty neat feature. We're still working through it - yes, we do expect it will grow over time.

We have a few templates that we work with, but each template is made up of multiple other pieces that we put together, so we certainly hope that the stories won't be repetitive.

They'll tend to focus on a specific player in the game, or on a specific moment in the game for now, although obviously in the future we'll look to expand it out further. Just takes us a little bit of working through to make sure we pick the right play - early on we seemed to think a player grounding out in the 8th inning in a 7-1 game was important. Oops!

But overall, it is really cool. Honestly, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, I think it's best for the "Fast-simmer". As someone who doesn't play out my games, seeing those headlines show up in my inbox, when I see a headline like, "Donaldson Delivers Walk-Off Win for Blue Jays", well, it makes me want to pause and look more into it.

In many ways, it's very similar to the All-Star email that we added last year. Before then, I never once paid attention to the All-Star game. But after that, well, I suddenly became excited when the game came around to see what happened.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
It is a pretty neat feature. We're still working through it - yes, we do expect it will grow over time.

We have a few templates that we work with, but each template is made up of multiple other pieces that we put together, so we certainly hope that the stories won't be repetitive.

They'll tend to focus on a specific player in the game, or on a specific moment in the game for now, although obviously in the future we'll look to expand it out further. Just takes us a little bit of working through to make sure we pick the right play - early on we seemed to think a player grounding out in the 8th inning in a 7-1 game was important. Oops!

But overall, it is really cool. Honestly, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, I think it's best for the "Fast-simmer". As someone who doesn't play out my games, seeing those headlines show up in my inbox, when I see a headline like, "Donaldson Delivers Walk-Off Win for Blue Jays", well, it makes me want to pause and look more into it.

In many ways, it's very similar to the All-Star email that we added last year. Before then, I never once paid attention to the All-Star game. But after that, well, I suddenly became excited when the game came around to see what happened.
This truly sounds awesome and I agree, those headlines are great for people who don't play through the games. I sim my days through the real-time simulation and see a lot of the action live but always miss a ton of stuff. This should add personality to the games. Out of curiosity, do you guys also have these recaps mentioning, say, hit batters and a brawl that likely will induce a suspension? I love it when that happens against rivals and read about the suspension in the news but if it's in the recap that'd be cool too.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
IStillDream
Minors (Double A)

This sounds really cool, I'm excited for it. Thank you!

Will the automated recaps take note of what might be called "unusual events"--inside-the-park home runs, triple plays, hidden-ball tricks, etc? How about player milestones? Those are the kinds of things that don't necessarily jump out in a box score, but would be great to hear about in a game you sim through.
IStillDream is offline   Reply With Quote