Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

HP's Pre-Review

For the first time ever, fully licensed by both the MLBPA and MLB.com!
Nice. OOTP now has both. You give action to get action. Although I only play fictional this is the type of thing that sells units. This is the type of thing that the casual Steam simulation-player is looking for before they commit $40. Very wise decision. I'm sure the cost of this addition will be more than made up for by additional Steam sales. Good job, team.

Over 150 authentic Minor League clubs with real logos and leagues, along with 8 international and several independent leagues, all with real rosters
Again, this is not a feature that is much of a selling point for me but we are starting to see more and more international players on the Steam hub including Asian, Australian, and South African. In fact, I have seen several posts that were written in Japanese on the Steam forums. Adding international leagues with real players will only further drive demand for this title. Nice addition.

All-new Historical Exhibition option! Pit any two teams throughout history against each other in a single game or a series, or replay any historic World Series matchup with accurate rosters
The third important addition that I will probably not benefit from directly but I can't wait to see the Dynasty Report forum blow up. This is a boon for the game and much needed. This feature is a gateway feature. The kind of thing that gets people to try it out and get them hooked.

Smarter, more cunning AI GMs and managers, with individualized personal approaches to roster-building, scouting, and finances
Ahhhh...now you're talking my language. I love the idea of personalized GM's. OOTP is the Crusader Kings II of baseball simulations. I can't wait to check this out. Even if it's not fully fleshed-out in this version it's nice to see that the idea has gone from being on the radar to being in the target. Great!!

Authentic minor league systems from 1919 through 2015 with a database of more than 100,000 real players
Man, this is definitely not a Madden roster update for OOTP this year. We're seeing one monster feature after another. I won't make much use of this but historical players (i.e. Stratomatic guys) are going to have a ball. I might actually fire-up a second universe and play a little historical. This has been on the wishlist of some of our most die-hard forum members for many years. It's nice to see them get some love. Great job, team.

For the first time ever, Out of the Park Baseball features FaceGen images for real players! With player aging, real-time emotion, and automatic uniform adjustment based on trades and free agency for most major leaguers, you're more in touch with your club than ever. One glance tells all!
This is the main reason I became a fictional guy all those years ago. I didn't want to have to mess with face-gen. This sounds huge. To huge to be true. I'm guessing that this is only for active major league players. I doubt we have facegens for 100's of thousands of historical players do we? Even if not, it's still a cool feature.

Improved in-game 3D engine - updated stadiums, moving player symbols, defensive shifts!
I'm not interested in this very much because I play fictional so I'll stick with 2-D images that I make myself. It's too bad that making stadiums is so hard because I'd love to use the 3-D feature in my fictional universe. Oh well. Nevertheless, adding defensive shifts and moving player symbols is a nice touch and very important features to add if we are going to drive Steam sales. Very smart to improve upon the foundation that was built last year.

It's easier than ever for armchair GMs and managers to build their baseball empire; from in-game upgrades to roster and league management controls, OOTP 17 is the best-looking and most-optimized visual experience yet.
This is where I usually gripe the most so I'm not really going to comment until I see it firsthand.

Building on its robust news system that reports on key events throughout your baseball universe, OOTP 17 now offers an automatically generated (and great-looking) headline and recap after each game.
Very cool. Can't wait to see this. As an avid reader of OOTP news I especially look forward to this feature. I wonder...Are milestones and playoff events getting the attention they deserve?

Need to bolster the bullpen or bring in someone to create a platoon at third base? Players facing such situations can now define their team needs and expect other GMs to make trade offers accordingly.
Oh, thank you. If this means what I think it means then this is by far the most-important improvement to the game to me. This means that the AI will have clearly defined needs and clearly defined goals. Assuming it works as intended this means that AI roster management just got a huge buff. I am right, no? This means AI roster management was seriously improved.

We've heard you! We know you love to use OOTP's powerful simulation engine - already the quickest in the sports strategy world - and it's now dramatically faster! New support for multi-core processors means OOTP 17 cranks through simulations and other tasks at up to 60% better speeds than last season.
Hell yeah!

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

For the first time ever, I do not feel greatly excited about the release of a new version of OOTPB. You are a fictional player like me, HP, and that explains why you review six selling points for OOTPB 17 thusly:
Quote:
Although I only play fictional . . .

Again, this is not a feature that is much of a selling point for me . . .

The third important addition that I will probably not benefit from directly . . .

I won't make much use of this . . .

This is the main reason I became a fictional guy all those years ago . . .

I'm not interested in this very much . . .
So what you do find worthy are AI GM's with preferences (which I thought we already have), authentic minor leagues (you're a fictional player, remember?), improved interface (the screenshots look the same to me), headline and recap after each game (seriously, are you going to read all that?), defined trade needs (doesn't the AI already tailor its offers based on your roster weaknesses?), and a more powerful simulation engine (never really had a problem there because I learned to keep things simple).

Ah, listen. No sour grapes intended. Just needed to get my thoughts clear about OOTPB 17 by typing them out here. I will follow RtR and see if I pick up on anything that piques my interest.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
For the first time ever, I do not feel greatly excited about the release of a new version of OOTPB. You are a fictional player like me, HP, and that explains why you review six selling points for OOTPB 17 thusly:

So what you do find worthy are AI GM's with preferences (which I thought we already have), authentic minor leagues (you're a fictional player, remember?), improved interface (the screenshots look the same to me), headline and recap after each game (seriously, are you going to read all that?), defined trade needs (doesn't the AI already tailor its offers based on your roster weaknesses?), and a more powerful simulation engine (never really had a problem there because I learned to keep things simple).

Ah, listen. No sour grapes intended. Just needed to get my thoughts clear about OOTPB 17 by typing them out here. I will follow RtR and see if I pick up on anything that piques my interest.
Actually I was totally impressed with this version and all of the new features. Just because I won't use many of them doesn't mean that they aren't awesome.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

As a fictional player, I'm ecstatic about historical minors. The reason for this is because although I play fictional, I play fictional MLB to be specific. Basically, I create a complete alternate MLB history with all fictional players. The fact that I'll now have authentic affiliated minor leagues will make the experience even more enjoyable.

Like I stated previously, here's hoping the awesome mod community gets working on an all-in-one logo/uniform pack for those historical minors.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

None of this appeals to you?

• For the first time ever, fully licensed by both the MLBPA and MLB.com!
  • All the real Major League teams, players, and logos, including projected 2016 Opening Day rosters
  • Over 150 authentic Minor League clubs with real logos and leagues, along with 8 international and several independent leagues, all with real rosters
  • All major league player ratings - plus those of more than 1,000 minor leaguers - based on ZiPS, the projection system created by well-known baseball writer and SABR member Dan Szymborski
  • Smarter, more cunning AI GMs and managers, with individualized personal approaches to roster-building, scouting, and finances
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #6
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

OOTP 16's announced features had more of a "wow" factor than this year, IMO. At least in regards to my initial feelings. I think many would agree. We had HOF voting/plaques, All-Star voting, personalized managers, coach types, ownership goals, new player awards, improved finances, trophy case, independent leagues, rainouts, Pennant Chase, manager only mode, team backgrounds etc..

Last year, at least with the initial announcement, gave us many more new "wow" features when compared to this year.

But with that being said, there's no doubt in my mind that this will be the best version yet. They raise the bar every year, and I'm sure the new features will make an amazing game even better. We can all give our opinions on the pre-release stuff now, but we all know Markus, Matt and team will release an incredible product late March.

Last edited by Habsfan18; 02-19-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
HerbertMcHoover
Minors (Triple A)

Not everything has been announced yet. There's still some Road to Release stuff and I bet a number of minor things not announced in a large scale yet (opt-outs were mentioned in a OOTP16 board thread.)
HerbertMcHoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #8
T.J. Lauerman
Baseball Community Manager

Great feedback, HP.

We really appreciate it and hope you have a great time with OOTP 17.

Out of the Park Baseball 25 is available to pre-order at our Webstore or you can add it to your Steam Wishlist.

OOTP Baseball Go 24 is available on the Google Play, and the iOS App Store.

Follow us on X / Instagram / Facebook / Twitch / YouTube.

Check out the video archives of my Acuña Matata Braves, ShoTime Angels, Redbirds Rising Cardinals and Chicago Hope White Sox franchises.
T.J. Lauerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
None of this appeals to you?

• For the first time ever, fully licensed by both the MLBPA and MLB.com!
So? It might help sell, but it doesn't effect me.
  • All the real Major League teams, players, and logos, including projected 2016 Opening Day rosters
That was already there....if you mean real player facegens then you could do that with the AIO mod.
  • Over 150 authentic Minor League clubs with real logos and leagues, along with 8 international and several independent leagues, all with real rosters
Again, this was there last year....
  • All major league player ratings - plus those of more than 1,000 minor leaguers - based on ZiPS, the projection system created by well-known baseball writer and SABR member Dan Szymborski
I couldn't care less. No system is going to be accurate, as long as it's somewhat close then it's fine by me.
  • Smarter, more cunning AI GMs and managers, with individualized personal approaches to roster-building, scouting, and finances
They say that every year and yet the AI never is all that good...
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I'm really sorry that none of that pleases you. How about the multi-threading and the associated speed increase? Don't care about that either?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regrettably, however, the leagues themselves are not quite as authentic in terms of matching up to their real-life counterparts.

It's become a perennial call of mine, but the minors are not simply duplicates of the majors, as OOTP would have you believe. The minor leagues have their own unique way of doing things, and I miss seeing that. It takes away some of the interesting ways professional baseball leagues operate (and keeps some interesting options out of the hands of fictional league users).
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
That was already there....if you mean real player facegens then you could do that with the AIO mod.
Just want to add this fwiw, the facegens in the game now are of massively higher quality than in the AIO mod.

The AIO mod used pretty low-res pics for most faces. Many faces ended up being around 8-10kb in size and many looked awful. Plenty of undead and zombies wandering around as well.

Now the facegens are built entirely around ultra high-res pics and are typically around 100-500 kb's in size and I don't think any of them look awful and most look great, though some came out better than others of course.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-19-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Just want to add this fwiw, the facegens in the game now are massively higher quality than in the AIO mod.

The AIO mod used pretty low-res pics for most faces. Many faces ended up being around 8-10kb in size and many looked awful.

Now the facegens are built entirely around ultra high-res pics and are typically around 100-500 kb's in size and I don't think any of them look awful.
Have fictional game-created facegens been improved as well? I thought 16 was a big step up and had the best quality ones yet. Will they be even nicer looking this year?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #14
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Have fictional game-created facegens been improved as well? I thought 16 was a big step up and had the best quality ones yet. Will they be even nicer looking this year?
Idk, really. I have no concrete info on how much they've been worked on, if at all.

They look maybe a bit better to me on average, but that could just be how I see it.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #15
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Regrettably, however, the leagues themselves are not quite as authentic in terms of matching up to their real-life counterparts.

It's become a perennial call of mine, but the minors are not simply duplicates of the majors, as OOTP would have you believe. The minor leagues have their own unique way of doing things, and I miss seeing that. It takes away some of the interesting ways professional baseball leagues operate (and keeps some interesting options out of the hands of fictional league users).
LGO, I know that you know (and you know that I know) what an epic undertaking that will require. Sure, this is just a first pass, but simply getting what OOTP 17 is offering is wonderful in and of itself. Give the game time, and I'll bet that you'll be eventually be pleasantly surprised. Roma die uno non aedificata est.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

I've been a long time player since v3 I think and this is the first time I am underwhelmed by the anticipated release. As a fictional player only, none of the new gadgets and gizmos appeal to me.

All that said, I pretty much thought v16 was perfect and I was puzzling to think how they really could improve with v17. V17 looks to be simply be a facelift to me....and I still pre ordered!
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LGO, I know that you know (and you know that I know) what an epic undertaking that will require.
Depends on which item one is talking about. The rescheduling of postponed games, for instance, is much simpler in the minor leagues than in the majors (and actually more closely resembles what the majors did in earlier eras). I haven't actually looked at exactly what the Asian leagues do in this regard; I'll be finding that out this year (see below).

I know a thing or two about epic undertakings.

Expanding a project I've been doing for the past three seasons, for 2016 I'm going to be creating a rudimentary yet massive game log file, recording for each and every game of the regular season, the final score, the game length in both time and outs, and the attendance, for the 14 affiliated leagues (from AAA down to Rookie Advanced), plus the 4 main independent leagues, the Mexican League, and the KBO and ***. This will probably take from one to two hours per day over the course of the 2016 season, depending on how many postponed, rescheduled, and suspended games there are to account for.

But there'll be a big bucket of beautiful, otherwise hard to obtain data at the end of it.

Quote:
Sure, this is just a first pass, but simply getting what OOTP 17 is offering is wonderful in and of itself.
Hey, OOTP 17 is what it is. And that's fine.

I'm just making my pitch for, someday, the league-level of things being shown a little more love. Leagues, and the way they operate, are interesting things. To me, at any rate.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

LGO, I am sure that you will get your wish...in the fullness of time.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #19
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
I've been a long time player since v3 I think and this is the first time I am underwhelmed by the anticipated release. As a fictional player only, none of the new gadgets and gizmos appeal to me.
I'm curious, what would have appealed to you (or the other fictional guys in this thread)?

Keep in mind, we have not announced everything yet, there are a lot more seemingly little improvements which impact every type of league.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:06 AM   #20
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I'm curious, what would have appealed to you (or the other fictional guys in this thread)?
Promotion/relegation

*ducks and runs*

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 02-20-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote