Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
hojo
Bat Boy

Do leagues keep using previous OOTP

I recently picked up the beta version of FHM hockey, and am looking forward to eventually joining an online FHM league. In the meantime, I am considering the OOTP 13 half price offer. I am more of a hockey fan than baseball, but I hear such good things about OOTP, I figured I should check it out.

I see online leagues still posted for various versions of the game. Do online leagues typically stick with the version they started with even as new versions come out or will OOTP13 be "obsolete" for joining a new online league once everyone gets their hands on OOTP14?

Thanks for any input
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Every league is different, there's no set standard.

Some upgrade as soon as the new game is released, some wait for a few patches.

There are a few that stick with older versions. I believe there may still be a few 6.5 leagues on the go, but not positive on that.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

There are still some 6.5 leagues out there, probably the granddaddy of them all is the PBRL, simmed with out owners 1901-1911 now in the 2022 season!!!!!

League Page OOTP 6 Generated Website
Forum Page PBRL • Index page

MarkInCincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

In general, leagues will switch to the most current version within a year. As noted, there is no hard fast rule though. The problem with falling behind versions in online leagues is not so much the game itself, but the ability to recruit new members to the league.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but the ability to recruit new members to the league.
This has been my experience also.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
hojo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
In general, leagues will switch to the most current version within a year. As noted, there is no hard fast rule though. The problem with falling behind versions in online leagues is not so much the game itself, but the ability to recruit new members to the league.
Thanks for the input.

I was thinking the sale price on the 13 version would be a good way to try out the baseball game, and see if I like it enough to stay current. I would imagine there will still be openings for online leagues using 13 for a while.

How much time per week should I expect to spend running a team in an online league, exporting my files, etc?
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Thanks for the input.

I was thinking the sale price on the 13 version would be a good way to try out the baseball game, and see if I like it enough to stay current. I would imagine there will still be openings for online leagues using 13 for a while.

How much time per week should I expect to spend running a team in an online league, exporting my files, etc?
It all depends on how often the league sims. My league sims twice a week, and to do the minimum amount of work for each export takes about 15 minutes. But if I want to be a good GM, I'll usually spend about an additional hour throughout the week poking around the league in various ways (looking at obscure free agents, planning for next year's free agents, fine-tuning my minors, etc.)
BoofBonser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
There are still some 6.5 leagues out there, probably the granddaddy of them all is the PBRL, simmed with out owners 1901-1911 now in the 2022 season!!!!!

League Page OOTP 6 Generated Website
Forum Page PBRL • Index page
OOTP6.5 is a different beast as that was the last version of OOTP before the game was completely rewritten and the transition from 6.5 to a "modern" version of OOTP is quite jarring. Most online leagues that have been on a version of the game after OOTP6.5 upgrade on a regular basis as the underlying game changes gradually enough to be palatable.

I would highly recommend PBRL as a great experience to those interested in a 6.5 league. Everyone else should expect that their online league will upgrade somewhat regularly. Some leagues alternate versions, so as to avoid forcing GM's to upgrade every year. Most leagues take every version, at varying rates of adoption compared to release. The PEBA, for example, is very conservative and upgrades very slowly. Usually at least 6 months after release so that there is some time for patches to be released. Other leagues upgrade as soon as they can to take advantage of new features.