Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
joestros
Minors (Single A)

New from DMB, how to setup a DMB type league?

I am a current DMB player who has been in a centralized league for 12 years. We are looking at alternatives to DMB and I have been tasked with checking out OOTP. I understand the scope of OOTP and that it's main strength is GM career mode (I used to play OOTP in the early days, v2 I think).

I have purchased OOTP 13 and am attempting to recreate our current DMB league structure: 12-team league using real major league players. We hold an annual draft where we add/drop players based on the previous year's stats. This is a failry typical DMB centralized league format. After attempting to set this up in OOTP I am beginning to think this is not possible to create. We do not want to use new fictional players.

Thanks, and any help would be appreciated.
joestros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
12-team league using real major league players.
Are these players from all or most of ML history?

Quote:
We hold an annual draft where we add/drop players based on the previous year's stats.
You can import any player using the Lahman *sp* database. You should easily be able to add any player in the history of ML baseball. I am sure there are a few exceptions but the database is huge.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

You should be able to do what you want to do. That being said, as you noted, OOTP is different. I would try to change your (and your league's) expectation of what you want. OOTP leagues are not limited to season disks. You can use all players from ML history. Typical leagues would introduce new players for a season via a draft. For instance, after the 1956 season, the real 1957 rookies would be available in the 1957 entry draft. You can also do many, many things the DMB could not do. Maybe you would want to implement some of these things to make a better experience for everyone.

My advice: try to implement things in a way the OOTP can handle easily and to your benefit. Don't try to shoehorn your old DMB rules into OOTP.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 03-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
joestros
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the help. Eventually I think we might expand the league's expectations, but, for now, we want to stick with using the last completed season, then drafting the following year based on the next year's real stats.

I'm still confused as to how to set that up. I tried New Custom Game > Advanced Mode > Add Fictional League but cannot figure out how to use 2012 players. Is there a way to use the real players included in the game and dump them all into free agency and then draft them? Which settings will ensure that fictional players will not be automatically created at the end of the season?

Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
joestros
Minors (Single A)

TGH, we use real MLB players from the most recently completed season (2012). Next year we would want to use 2013 players, etc.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestros View Post
Thanks for the help. Eventually I think we might expand the league's expectations, but, for now, we want to stick with using the last completed season, then drafting the following year based on the next year's real stats.

I'm still confused as to how to set that up. I tried New Custom Game > Advanced Mode > Add Fictional League but cannot figure out how to use 2012 players. Is there a way to use the real players included in the game and dump them all into free agency and then draft them? Which settings will ensure that fictional players will not be automatically created at the end of the season?

Thanks again.
Quote:
TGH, we use real MLB players from the most recently completed season (2012). Next year we would want to use 2013 players, etc.
I think that what you'd want to do is create a new quickstart for the 2012 season using 13, or a quickstart for 2013 using v14. That would give you the current rosters for the upcoming year if you were planning on using the 2013 rosters (if I understand you correctly).

You probably also would want to go to add-on center (Game-Add Ons Central) and download the 2012 all in one mod, which would have ballparks, images, etc.

You will get all levels from the majors down to the rookie leagues full of real players and rosters. I don't know how you want to handle minor league players and whether you want them all or not. Under League Set-up there is a function to release all players and schedule an inaugural draft. You can edit the league structure and modify the number of teams to 12 to get down to the number of teams you want.

You'll have a bunch of players from the minors though, so you may want to delete some before drafting.

If you are just doing one year during one baseball season I don't think you have to worry about fictional players. I think if you moved the draft to November no fictional players would be created during the season. There is a checkbox to prevent fictional players from coming into the league too (I believe on the options tab, but I don't use this).
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
joestros
Minors (Single A)

Thanks so much. I am almost there I think. I just need to figure out if there is a way to remove all of the minor leagues. Is there a way to play without minor leagues?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

There is indeed... under league setup, you will see a tab that will have the name of the league you are setting up "Major League Baseball" or something of the type. If you click that, it will bring up your list of minor leagues, in which case you would use the "Global" setup under League Setup and "delete the league". I'm not in the program right now, but yes, it can easily be done and I believe those are the correct buttons.

You won't have a problem figuring it out.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks so much. I am almost there I think. I just need to figure out if there is a way to remove all of the minor leagues. Is there a way to play without minor leagues?
In the initial league set up you can select "Reserve Roster" instead of minor leagues. This creates a 2nd roster that players can be moved on and off of at will. You can customize the size of this roster although I do not know the limits off the top of my head.

These links are to the OOTP Manual. I think you will find them helpful. Definetely check the 1st two.

1) Reserve Rosters
Out of the Park Baseball Manual
2) Rules Options
3) Roster Functions
4) Roster Rules
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
joestros
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the detailed replies everyone, very appreciated. I am going to give this a shot tonight.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Good luck
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Let us know how you made out joestros - it seems to me it may be difficult to replicate what you are doing unless you plan to have a lot of it done outside the game (showing all the players previous years stats, etc.) However, it's certainly not impossible, as people have been able to make OOTP work for all kinds of unusual league setups in the past.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #13
joestros
Minors (Single A)

I'm still lost. This is very difficult to figure out. I've gone through the setup process using Quickstart a few times now without luck. I have removed all minor leagues and edited the league structure to match ours, but, when I view the free agent stats I don't see any real 2012 stats. I am thinking this is not going to be possible.

Perhaps I need to use Historical Replay? I tried that option and the latest year available is 2011. Do I need to import the Lahman database? If so, how does this work? The online manual is not very helpful in this area. Does OOTP come with 2012 stats? I have downloaded the 2012 all in one mod.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #14
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

I think the problem you are running into is that Historical replay would be the best way to do what you want, but first, 2011 is the latest year you can start in the current version, and second, I'm not sure if it will let you change the amount of teams in a league in that form of league.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
joestros
Minors (Single A)

Thanks Pergrine. I was under the impression that you could use the Lahman database to import the 2012 stats into OOTP13.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

You can, as was described earlier in the thread, but not via Historical Replay as far as I know - may have to find someone more knowledgeable than me to fully explain this.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
joestros
Minors (Single A)

So how would someone who is still playing OOTP13, OOTP12, OOTP11, etc, play with updated 2012 rosters? Is this possible?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

How that is done is via quickstarts which can be downloaded from pages within the game or certain websites. The 2012 All-in-one mod is one such way, and should have appropriate logos, as well. However, those are created at the beginning of a new version mostly and are not taking into account all of the things that happened last season in MLB. To get those, usually people wait for the next version of the game to come out.

I might be wrong but I believe that is how it works - maybe someone can correct me.

Last edited by Peregrine; 03-11-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So how would someone who is still playing OOTP13, OOTP12, OOTP11, etc, play with updated 2012 rosters? Is this possible?
I think you can use a current version of the Lahman database, but my understanding is that it has to be modified a little bit first (i.e. the addition or subtraction of some of the fields). I think OOTP using a slightly modded version for the game. I admit to not being an expert in database modding though. Maybe search around in the database mod portion and see if you can gather some info.

I suppose you could also open the most current Lahman dbase and the OOTP historical database and compare.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote