Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Baseball's Answer to the USFL

This thread is part Dynasty report, and part Mod I suppose.

For the few years it existed, I was a huge fan of the USFL. I have always wanted to create a fictional competing league for the MLB, and so I came up with the idea for the United States Baseball League (USBL). The new league comes into existence at the beginning of 2012.

It took a lot of trial and error before I settled on a methodology for creating this new league. What I wanted was the following:

1) A league basically devoid of real MLB talent at the onset. There should realistically be only fringe talent signed to the new league.

2) A league with realistically challenging finances. Teams should be able to compete for mediocre MLB talent, but making a big splash should be costly at the outset.

3) A full free agent signing period, where the USBL teams could sign some recognizable MLB names and give the league a sense of image before opening day.

For anyone interested in creating such a league, here are the steps I followed:

1. From the OOTP Main Screen go to Add-On Central and download the HFP 2010/2011 MLB All-In-One package.
2. Click Install.
3. From the OOTP Main Screen choose "New Major League Game" and choose "Play in Commissioner Mode" as an option.
4. Autoplay the entire 2011 season through the World Series.
5. Backup you game. You will need this Backup if you decide to change any settings in your new league.
6. Under Game Setup -> League Setup, click "Add League" at the bottom of the screen.
7. At the League Creation Wizard Screen, choose "Create Fictional League" and set up your league.
8. I chose to disable "Hold Inaugural Draft" and to change the Amateur Draft Date to 6/22 - one week after the MLB.

Last edited by DanP68; 10-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.
DanP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

League Financials

This is more art than science. Set this up however you see fit, but I am providing my settings as an example if you are a little lost. Choose the league you just created to be active, then click on League Setup -> Financials.

Average Attendance : 17000
Average Ticket Price: 20
Average National Media Contract: $10,000,000
Average Local Medial Contract: $10,000,000
Average Merchandising Revenue: $5,000,000
Average Player Dev Budget: $3,000,000
Average Scouting Budget: $1,000,000
Minimum Player Salary: $200,000

Average Salaries: Roughly half of MLB averages (Try to get a modest Average Profit)

Don't forget to click "Assign fictional financials to teams"

Deleting Good Players

And now for the PITA. For a 16 team league, this will take about 20 minutes to complete. You need to delete all of the fictional players on the major league level of your new league. You could delete the top 1/2 or 2/3 to save time. The basic idea is you do not want any players who are as good as (or better than) the MLB talent. This is a brand new league so it isn't realistic to think all of this talent would have been missed by the MLB.

The quickest way I found to delete the players was to go through each team on the main roster page and mass select the players using the radio buttons on the far left. Then right click on any of the selected players, and choose to Delete all the Players.

It's also a good idea to delete the mega prospects in the minor leagues. You don't have to go too far with this. I just deleted the top few amateur pitching and hitting prospects for each team. Again you are doing this because it isn't realistic to assume the new league would have so many undiscovered high ceiling prospects under contract.

Now go back to the League Financials screen and click "Assign fictional financials to teams" one more time. I found I needed to do this to get the teams to set appropriate budgets. Most of my teams were now claiming budgets of $18 million to $25 million, which I assumed to be reasonably realistic.

Last edited by DanP68; 10-08-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Start Simulating the league!

The first few days (late October) you will see all of the teams feverishly purchasing the contracts of their minor leaguers to move them up to the majors. A bunch of fringe talent free agents will be signed to minor league deals to back fill, and teams will hire some personnel.

What happened in my league?

By November 1st I was starting to see some recognizable MLB talent getting signed into my new league. Eric Munson, Dmitri Young, Devon Lowery and several others signed contracts with the new league.

I was amused to see the Newark Showstoppers sign venerable Jamie Moyer to a $500,000 contract and name him team Closer. That lasted only a few weeks, when Newark made the biggest splash so far by signing Ryan Madson to a 2-year deal worth $6.3 million. Moyer setting up Madson. Will anybody score against Newark's pen?

On December 9th the Nashville Sluggers announced the largest contract signing to date: Jon Garland for 4 years and a total of $14 million. On the 17th Newark made another big move, signing Justin Duchscherer for 3 years worth $9.1 million. One week later the California Condors grabbed Vincente Padilla for 2 years and $8.4 million.

On January 5th the New York Atlantics came to terms with Rich Harden on a 3 year deal worth $7.4 million. On the 26th the San Diego Pasquals announced a deal with Brad Penny for 3 years for $7.4 million.

On the 6th of February the Fort Worth Lone Stars snagged Jason Marquis for 3 years and $7.3 million.

A few more recognizable veterans signed over the next month, but curiously no strong position players made the jump.

On Opening Day I took note of the Top 10 Pitchers and Batters according to the OSA reports.

Pitchers
1. Justin Duchscherer - Newark
2. Jon Garland - Nashville
3. Rich Harden - New York
4. Vincente Padilla - California
5. Brad Penny - San Diego
6. Jason Marquis - Fort Worth
7. Kelvim Escobar - Kansas
8. Cha Seung Baek - Virginia Beach
9. Jose Capellan - Portland
10. Romulo Sanchez - Portland

Batters
1. David Ross - Anchorage
2. Joey Ward - Anchorage
3. Gerald Laird - Brooklyn
4. Edwin Bellorin - California
5. Eric Munson - Virginia Beach
6. Ramon Mora - Omaha
7. Chris Coste - San Diego
8. Bengie Molina - Fort Worth
9. Chris Robinson - New York
10. Brian Schneider - San Diego

I was instantly intrigued by the signings. In a league full of fringe talent, it was entirely possible that Justin Duchscherer would be Bob Gibson in his prime. Eric Munson might rake at Virginia Beach.

Would the former MLB starting pitchers such as Garland and Padilla be unhittable in the new league? Could Gerald Laird bat .300 or better against questionable pitching staffs? Would Bengie Molina hit 30 home runs and be a feared slugger? I was excited to find out to what degree these players would dominate the new league.

Yes, Gerald Laird is the third most feared hitter in the USBL heading into 2012. This should be interesting.

Last edited by DanP68; 10-08-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Some Thoughts on League Evolution

Depending on how you envision the fictional league evolving in terms of worldwide popularity, you will have to adjust the financials in future seasons. If you see the league as a minor attraction long term, maybe no changes are needed. But if you see the league getting more and more popular, you will need to increase typical attendance levels, ticket prices, merchandising, player salaries, etc.

OOTP is built to simulate teams competing, rather than to simulate leagues competing. So you will have to do that portion of the role play on your own.

If after a while your only interest is in the new league, you might want to delete the MLB altogether. This is what I plan to do after several years of simming.

League Records

There will be a wild disparity in talent in the first few seasons of the new league, especially in season 1. If a pretty good MLB power hitter gets signed into your new league, don't be surprised to see him slam 60+ home runs. By the same token, a solid MLB pitcher might come in and post a sub-1.50 ERA or hurl an ungodly amount of strikeouts.

If you are a stickler for realistic statistics, be prepared for some gaudy numbers. These ARE realistic statistics given the conditions of talent disparity. If the numbers bother you too much, consider deleting the statistical records after Season 2 or 3 and allowing all subsequent records to count.

Final Thoughts

This was the best way I could find to create a competing league under the conditions I was interested in. If you have a better way to accomplish any of these tasks, please post your ideas!

In the coming weeks I will post some of the results from the first season of the USBL. I intend for this to be a mini Dynasty report, with plenty of updates. Just not as frequent as the typical report. I prefer to inspire ideas for this sort of league creation.

If you choose to create a similar league, feel free to post a report within this thread. I'd love to hear others' ideas!

Last edited by DanP68; 10-09-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Interesting Idea!

Thanks for sharing, and please continue the updates.

However, rather than right-clicking and deleting each individual player, it will save time if you select the players by using the radio buttons at the extreme left. (Assuming this feature remains in OOTP 12; I'm still on v.11) Then you can right click any of selected players, choose "Delete", confirm when asked "Delete 13 [or however many] players?" and take care of it all at once. This should save time.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Good tip, thank you. That works fine in v12.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

USBL 2012

Williams League East

New York Atlantics
Nashville Sluggers
Miami Gales
Virginia Beach Bluefish

Players to Watch - Chris Robinson (C) NY, Rich Harden (SP) NY, Andrew Baldwin (SP) NY, Eric Munson (C) VB, Jon Garland (SP) NAS, Cha Seung Baek (SP) VB, Brandon Knight (SP) VB, Andrew Baldwin (SP) NY, Jose Ramos (SP) MIA, Arjuna Kartosuwiryo (SP) NAS

Williams League West

California Condors
Seattle Courage
Anchorage Olympics
Austin Green Sox

Players to Watch - David Ross (C) ANC, Joey Ward (1B) ANC, Edwin Bellorin (C) CAL, Ramon Castro (C) ANC, Colt Morton (C) CAL, Bryan Woods (C) SEA, Kieron Pope (CF) CAL, Vincente Padilla (SP) CAL, Bob Keppel (SP) SEA, Brandon Backe (SP) CAL, Devern Hansack (SP) SEA, Mark Mulder (SP) ANC

Gehrig League East

Brooklyn Skybirds
Omaha Superiors
Baltimore Black Sox
Newark Showstoppers

Players to Watch - Gerald Laird (C) BRK, Ramon Mora (SS) OMA, Carlos Corporan (C) BAL, Lee Hill (1B) BRK, Damaso Espino (C) OMA, Salomon Manriquez (C) OMA, Justin Duchscherer (SP) NEW, Larry Logan (SP) NEW, Bart Young (SP) BAL

Gehrig League West

Portland Graylings
San Diego Pasquals
Fort Worth Lone Stars
Kansas Whitecaps

Players to Watch - Chris Coste (C) SD, Bengie Molina (C) FW, Brian Schneider (C) SD, Fernando Ontario (1B) SD, Angel Samone (C) POR, Brad Penny (SP) SD, Jason Marquis (SP) FW, Kelvim Escobar (SP) KS, Jose F Capellan (SP) POR, Romulo Sanchez (SP) POR
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

New League is Second Chance for Some, First Chance for Many

The United States Baseball League (USBL) opened play this past Monday. An indifferent Major League Baseball has passed the new league off as inferior in talent and devoid of historical allegiance. But several free agent signings by USBL teams have piqued the interest of MLB players who see the potential for increased career longevity, and a chance to prove they can still play the game.

Perhaps the most intriguing example of this is Mark Mulder. Once a dominant starting pitcher for the Oakland Athletics and St Louis Cardinals, Mulder fell on hard times in 2011 and found himself without a contract offer for 2012.

“He just doesn't have the movement on his pitches anymore, and his control broke down noticeably,” says one scout familiar with Mulder.

The Anchorage Olympics took a chance on the one-time great MLB pitcher, signing him for $1.8 million. In his first start the Olympics lost, but Mulder threw 7.2 innings, striking out 4, walking nobody, and yielding only 2 runs.

“It's a second chance for a lot of these guys. If they prove themselves in the new league, they can use it as an audition for the MLB next season,” the scout added.

And some players took the opportunity to jump from the MLB, where they would have been valuable players for their teams, to the USBL where they can be stars. Gerald Laird and Benji Molina signed with the new league when they both still had the skills to stay in the MLB.

“These guys might be below average starters, or very good back ups on a MLB team,” says player agent Fran Chandler. “But in the new league, they can be stars and team leaders. That's a pretty exciting thing for a lot of these guys. Win an MVP or lead your team to a championship, and the MLB is going to view you much differently if you return.”

Then there are the former MLB players rebounding from a history of injuries. Justin Duchscherer was considered one of the brightest stars on the Oakland A's in 2008, before a serious injury sidelined him until 2010. At the time Duchscherer was a 2.54 ERA pitcher and a legitimate staff ace. Duchscherer struggled with control upon his return in 2010, so Oakland traded him to Baltimore where his ERA blossomed to 5.10.

“Justin had impeccable control before the injury. It is certainly possible he could get it back, but at age 34 his time is running out,” said one general manager.

Duchscherer still possesses an impressive late break to his fastball, and his control seems to be improving. In his first start for the Newark Showstoppers, he pitched 6.2 innings and gave up just two runs, while striking out 5 and walking 2.

Then there are players who just never got the chance they feel they deserved, and are now looking to the USBL for a chance to prove they can play big league baseball. Twenty five year old second baseman Derrick Mitchell ripped 16 home runs in only 275 at bats at Single A Clearwater last season, and was selected to the Florida State league all-star game.

When the majors didn't show an interest in moving him up, Mitchell signed a contract with the USBL's San Diego Pasquals. Yesterday he received the call he was waiting for.

“(San Diego General Manager) Antonio Guzman called me last evening and told me they wanted to give me a shot. I couldn't believe it at first, and I don't think it will hit me until I take the field,” Mitchell said.

Whether Derrick Mitchell makes it in the new league or not, there are many minor league players who are sure to notice the opportunities being given in the USBL.

Another example is New York Atlantics starting pitcher Andrew Baldwin. The 29-year old was running out of time to make it the majors. Last season he posted a solid record of 9-6 with a 4.38 ERA at AAA Rochester. A good control pitcher with a limited upside which didn't impress MLB teams, Baldwin is now the #2 starter in New York behind Rich Harden.

“This is a great opportunity for me,” says Baldwin. “Being able to go through spring training and learn from a guy like Rich Harden, I can't say enough about what he has done for my game. I know he is going to be the man all season. If I can put up a strong effort after him, we have a shot at the Eastern Division title.”

And for guys like Baldwin, the chance to compete is all they have ever asked for.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Team Summary of the Week 4/2 - 4/8

The Anchorage Olympics (4-3)
The Olympics opened the season with a 4 game set at the NY Atlantics. Game 1 featured a fantastic pitcher's duel, with New York's Rich Harden out-dueling Mark Mulder. Harden pitched 8 innings of 1 run ball, scattering 4 hits and striking out 10. Mulder was the hard luck loser after throwing 7 2/3 innings, striking out 4 batters and yielding 2 runs. John Boucher homered for New York as the Atlantics prevailed 2-1.

Game 2 saw 22 year old Ernesto Franco take the mound for Anchorage against Andrew Baldwin. Franco pitched 6 1/3 innings of 2 run ball. Billy Fields went 2-for-5, Harley Langford went 2-for-3, and Sherman Webster homered to lead the Olympics to a 4-2 victory.

In game 3, Anchorage was baffled by Atlantics starting pitcher Jorge Cuellar. Cuellar pitched a complete game yielding only 4 hits, while striking out 6. Paul Lee was not so lucky for Anchorage. The Olympics pitcher was lit up for 7 runs in 6 2/3 innings, giving up home runs to Chris Robinson, Buck Coats, and Alden Dominguea. Ron Irrib had 2 hits including a double for Anchorage.

Anchorage salvaged a road split with a 10-9 game four victory. Martin Enriquez gave up 6 runs in the bottom of the 1st as it appeared the Atlantics were headed toward another romp. But Enriquez gathered himself and gave up just 1 more run before leaving in the 4th.

New York led 7-1 heading into the top of the 6th before Anchorage exploded for 5 runs. Harley Langford doubled in Joey Ward and David Ross, and later scored when Sherman Webster reached on an error. New York answered with another run to lead 8-6 heading to the 7th inning. But Langford struck again with a 3-run home run to drive in Billy Fields and Ross. Latroy Hawkins took a 10-8 lead to the mound in the bottom of the ninth, and ended up holding on for a 10-9 save.

Next up for Anchorage was a 3-game series in Austin against the Green Sox. Jim Hoskin gave Anchorage a strong start in game 1, throwing 8 innings of 2 run, 6 hit ball. Harley Langford hit a 2-run home run, Joey Ward and Ron Irrib had 2-hit games with doubles, and Latroy Hawkins locked down his third save as Anchorage won 6-2.

Mark Mulder had another solid start to lead Anchorage to a 5-2 win in game 2. Mulder pitched 7 strong innings, giving up 2 runs on just 3 hits. Sherman Webster went 3-for-3 with a triple, while David Ross added 2 hits including a double.

Austin roughed up Ernesto Franco in the final game of the series to salvage a victory. The Green Sox scored 8 times to drive Franco from the game before the end of the 5th inning. William Gross hit a 3-run homer for Austin, who got 6 and 2/3 strong innings from Tomas Bonilla. Bonilla struck out 5, walked 1, and gave up only 1 run.

At the end of the week, Harley Langford was tied for the USBL lead with 3 home runs, while leading the league with 11 RBI.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

April 9 - Big Free Agent Signings

Chris R. Young is the latest big name MLB defection to land in the USBL. The Virginia Beach Blue Fish announced the Young signing today. The contract is for one year and is rumored to be worth around $3.5 million.

Young (32 years old) has a career ERA of 3.99, but last season struggled to a 5.07 ERA with the New York Mets. However some would argue Young was the victim of bad luck, as his BABIP rose to .341 versus a career average of .267.

The free agent signing gives Virginia Beach a formidable rotation. Assuming Young moves to the #1 spot, the next two starters would be Cha Seung Baek (1.80 ERA) and Brandon Knight (1.23 ERA). Knight is coming off a 12 strikeout performance against Anchorage. The rotation might be strong enough to put Virginia Beach in the mix for the Williams League Eastern title.

The Portland Graylings (5-2) changed the balance of power in the Gehrig League's Western Division by signing Chad Gaudin today. Portland and Gaudin came to terms on a 1-year deal worth $2 million. Gaudin pitched for the Washington Nationals in 2011, compiling a record of 8-7 with a 4.21 ERA.

The signing allows Portland to pair Gaudin with Jose F. Capellan at the top of the Graylings rotation. The combination appears to be the best 1-2 punch in the division, and improves on what was already the best team ERA in the Gehrig League at 2.71 through today.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Penny Perfection!

Brad Penny pitched a perfect game, the first in USBL history, Friday against the Omaha Superiors. The veteran pitcher retired all 27 batters in a 3-0 victory for his San Diego Pasquals.

Penny had masterful command of his fastball, slider, and splitter all night. The 33-year old struck out 6 while lowering his league best ERA to 0.36. Penny has yielded only 1 run in 3 starts (3-0 record) in 2012, and has pitched 7 or more innings in each start.

San Diego resides at the top of the Gehrig League Western standings with a record of 10-2.

Standings through April 15, 2011

Williams League East
Nashville 9-4 Virginia Beach 9-5 NY Atlantics 6-7 Miami 3-9

Williams League West
Anchorage 8-6 Seattle 7-6 California 7-6 Austin 3-9

Gehrig League East
Newark 5-7 Brooklyn 5-8 Omaha 4-10 Baltimore 3-10

Gehrig League West
San Diego 10-2 Portland 10-3 Fort Worth 8-6 Kansas 7-6

Rookie Pitchers K/9 Rankings
Brandon Knight (VB) 12.0
John Richardson (BRK) 9.5
Luke Brennan (FW) 7.9
Charles Carter (BRK) 7.9
Ernesto Franco (ANC) 7.8

League Leaders Batting AVG
Adam Fox (3B / VB) .453
William Gross (LF / AUS) .405
Arnold Bland (1B / NASH) .404
Benji Molina (C / FW) .396
Edwin Bellorin (C / CAL) .386

League Leaders ERA
Brad Penny (SD) 0.36
Calvin Miller (NASH) 0.61
Lewis Williams (BRK) 0.66
Paco Perez (MIA) 1.08
Carlos Duran (POR) 1.20

Latest Signing - Trever Miller to Baltimore for 1-year and $1.3 million
Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

BNN-Los Angeles Talks Condors Baseball

BNN-Los Angeles reporter Geraldo Rivers covers the California Condors USBL franchise. Rivers sat down today to talk Condors baseball with the BNN National staff.

BNN - "The Condors are 7-6 to start the season. Does this look like a championship contender in your eyes?"

GR - "I believe it is. It's tough to tell because we are just learning about the league, and between preseason and regular season games we have only seen teams a few times each. But I believe California has a solid roster."

BNN - "Baseball success starts with pitching. California's presumed ace is Vincente Padilla. Is he good enough to lead the Condors?"

GR - "Vincente had a disappointing outing in his last game. He didn't make it out of the second inning against New York and gave up 5 runs. I worry at 34 years old that his skills aren't what they were the last few years in the MLB. Vincente has the experience to put up good numbers in 2012 even if he is fading in his skill set. And I put Brandon Backe in a similar position - good experience, slowly declining skills, but effective."

"I think the pitcher everyone is overlooking on California is Jose Ascanio (2-0 3.50 ERA). He's only 26-years old and he is going to get better. He's striking out better than 1 batter per inning, showing pretty good control, and he's got a good change up to go with the fast ball and slider. If this kids gets a fourth pitch, look out."

BNN - "It's early, but California is leading the Williams League in batting average, on base percentage, and is tied for first with 68 runs scored. Can they keep this up?"

GR - "At this pace? No. But they will be a good offensive club all season. They have a lot of speed at the top of the order with Ray Parker (right field, .269 AVG and 3 stolen bases). But it's the middle of the order where pitchers get into trouble."

"Catcher Edwin Bellorin is going to hit well over .300, and so is center fielder Kieron Pope. The thing with Pope is he has real good power, and he hasn't shown much yet (1 home run). Then there is former major leaguer Dmitri Young at DH. He's going to hit around .300 too, and I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 20 or more home runs this season."

"We also have a reserve outfielder with the best name is baseball. Koukakala Kulamauu. This kid can hit the cover off the ball. I think the Condors will make a move to trade off an outfielder for help somewhere else, because they need to get Kulamauu in the lineup every night."

BNN - "I know a lot of scouts who are high on shortstop Jeffrey Harris too."

GR - "Absolutely. Good range, solid glove. And he might hit 15 to 20 home runs. That's pretty rare to see a good fielding shortstop with that type of pop in his bat."

BNN - "If California falls short in 2012, are there any weaknesses you see as a root cause?"

GR - "I worry a bit about the pen, and I worry about our outfield defense. Kieron Pope can hit, but he doesn't have the range to play center field. He should be in right field, or at DH."

"Todd Coffey has been solid at closer so far (3-for-3 in Saves and 1.13 ERA). But the setup is being shared by Fernando Nieve, who has walked 9 players in 8.1 innings, and Vladimir Nunez who has had control issues too."

"Look around the league. Anchorage has Latroy Hawkins setting up for Javier Lopez. We don't compare favorably to that combination."

BNN - "What's your prediction for Condors baseball in 2012?"

GR - "I think we will win the Western title, but unless we add another starting pitcher or shore up the pen, I don't think we will get out of the first round of the playoffs."

BNN thanks Geraldo Rivers for joining us.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #13
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Cue Massive Giggling.

Wow! Chris Young AND Brandon Knight on the same staff? Whichever team that was is going to dominate, man!

Keep up the good work.

PS: Shouldn't Brad Penny throw a perfect game EVERY game against these guys?
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

4/27/2012

Williams League Standings
Eastern Division
TeamWLPCTGBPyt.RecDiffHomeAwayXInn1RunM#StreakLast10
Virginia Beach Blue Fish168.667-14-10211-75-13-17-2138W37-3
Nashville Sluggers149.60915-8-17-77-22-13-2
L15-5
New York Atlantics1111.500412-10-14-37-82-14-3
W15-5
Miami Gales616.27396-1603-103-60-01-1
W13-7
Western Division
California Condors1310.565-13-1008-45-60-20-4140L16-4
Anchorage Olympics1210.545½10-1224-48-62-13-3
L16-4
Seattle Courage1111.50013-9-24-57-60-22-4
L34-6
Austin Green Sox715.3188-14-12-75-81-22-3
W14-6
Gehrig League Standings
Eastern Division
Brooklyn Skybirds139.591-14-8-15-28-72-43-7138L19-1
Baltimore Black Sox1112.47810-1319-52-71-24-2
W68-2
Omaha Superiors816.33367-1715-133-31-24-3
L14-6
Newark Showstoppers715.31869-13-25-82-70-20-6
L32-8
Western Division
San Diego Pasquals148.636-13-917-27-60-15-4140L64-6
Portland Graylings149.609½14-907-57-43-14-1
W34-6
Kansas Whitecaps1210.545212-1007-25-84-05-3
W16-4
Fort Worth Lone Stars1111.500312-10-13-58-61-02-1
W14-6
Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin69 View Post
Wow! Chris Young AND Brandon Knight on the same staff? Whichever team that was is going to dominate, man!

Keep up the good work.

PS: Shouldn't Brad Penny throw a perfect game EVERY game against these guys?

LOL yes, and I keep waiting for the USBL to sign Fernando Tatis so he can hit 70 home runs in the 2nd half of the season! I need to see Penny vs. Tatis with the championship on the line.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Gales Consider Name Change to The El Stinkos

The Miami Gales have a lot of problems. With a record of 6-16 nearing the end of April, there is little to cheer about in South Beach.

And wouldn't you know it? The Gales two best players share the same position. Left Fielders Greg Waltermann and Paul Tucker have been tearing up the Williams League all season. Waltermann is batting .393 and slugging .689, while backup Tucker is batting .357.

The Gales have been batting Waltermann at DH lately to take advantage of Tucker's superior fielding skills, while keeping both in the lineup.

On Wednesday Waltermann and Tucker went a combined 3-for-7 against the California Condors, but lost 16-2.

When Miami loses, it tends to lose painfully. And frustrations are mounting. After the 16-2 loss to the Condors, Waltermann told BNN reporters, "I don't know what's going on here. But some guys need to step up if we are gonna turn this around."

One obvious problem is team pitching. The ERA for Miami starters is 5.48, the worst in the Williams League. "Ace" Jose Ramos is 0-4 with an ERA of 8.24.

And if you ever wondered if former MLB pitcher Chan Ho Park could dominate the USBL as a closer, wonder no more. Park has 3 saves for Miami despite an ERA of 9.95. But don't worry. His job appears safe. Set up man David Carsey has a WHIP of 2.89 and an ERA of 13.50.

Hang in there Miami. The first year player draft list gets published in 3 weeks.

Stolen Base Leaders

Jesus Camacho (CF/BRK) 10
Peyton Stevens (CF/VB) 9
Xavier Barrera (CF/OMA) 6
Lance O'Finan (LF/SEA) 6
Jeffrey Harris (SS/CAL) 5
Ray Parker (RF/CAL) 5
Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

The Future is Now

Before a 6-0 loss to Fort Worth on Thursday, the Brooklyn Skybirds rolled up nine consecutive victories to take control of the Gehrig League Eastern Division. Key to the success was rookie prospect Michael Gilbert, ranked by Baseball America as the the #7 prospect in the USBL.

Gilbert has been nothing short of spectacular. Featuring a devastating Sinker and Curve, and brush back velocities of 96 to 98 mph, Gilbert is dominating despite his 24 year old age. In 14.1 innings he has struck out 22 batters while walking only 3. His ERA is 0.63. And his Ground Ball rate is 67%.

"He's ready now. Michael can pitch in any league, and we are lucky to have a guy like that to lock down games," said manager Bill Bowen.

The Nashville Sluggers are fighting for the top spot in the Williams League Eastern Division. Manager Gilberto Acuna has two aces to hand the ball to, but one is quite a surprise. Every game after Jon Garland pitches, a young rookie named Arjuna Kartosuwiryo takes the hill. Ranked by Baseball America as the USBL's #4 prospect, the 23-year old is already a feared starter.

Nicknamed "The Barbarian" by his teammates for the way he tears apart opposing lineups, Kartosuwiryo is sporting a 2.87 ERA and 1.27 WHIP in April. The youngster has struck out 24 batters while walking 9 in 31.1 innings. His secret weapon? A forkball he developed in the minors last season.

"I needed something to take my game to the next level. I asked my pitching coach what I should work on during the spring, and he told me to develop a fourth pitch. He showed me a lot of pitches, but I fell in love with the forkball."

In Portland the Graylings are competing for the Gehrig League's Western Division. Manning the hot corner is a 21-year old rookie who looks like he was born to play there. Ranked as #6 best position prospect, Garin Cecchini is swinging a .320 bat with 3 home runs for Portland. Already known as a solid third baseman, nobody expected Cecchini to become a top flight hitter so early.

"He has a real good approach at the plate," says teammate and former MLB player Ben Broussard. "He's not bothered by anything. Very smooth swing."

"He needs a little more patience," said one scout regarding Cecchini. "Eventually pitchers will take advantage of his aggressiveness, and he will have to adjust. But I think he will. Patience tends to come with experience."

If the strong young talent coming through the league is any indication, the USBL has a bright future ahead of it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
Tom the Fish
All Star Reserve

I'm curious if you set the player creation low or you will end up with drafts on a same level as the majors.

Tom
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #19
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Good question. I did not set the Player Creation to Low.

The MLB exists side by side with the USBL. Drafts will produce very good prospects for the USBL and allow the teams to get stronger.

However the financial constraints of the USBL teams will mean that when players become free agents, they will bolt for the MLB. I expect the new league will slowly grow their financial power however...so we will see how long it takes before there is a USBL team which could give a MLB team a decent game.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #20
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

May 4 Standings

Virginia Beach 19-12
Nashville 16-13
New York 14-15
Miami 11-18

Seattle 15-14
California 15-14
Anchorage 15-14