Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Should my Walkers make this trade

Drunk typing here, but I just want to throw this out there.
I'm sure none of you have done that.

It's the 2020 season, my St. Louis River Walkers are in third place on July 6, 4 games in back of first place Des Moines.

You can follow my season in the fiction thread http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=298710.
Anyway, one of my frustrations has been a second baseman Jin-hwang Chun, a free agent from South Korea who I signed at a $16 million clip over four seasons before the 2019 season.
He has not played badly, his OBP is among the best in the league, but it's seemingly all based on walks as he's among the league leaders.

Come to the plate in a big situation. He doesn't get out. He walks.

Also, he's a poor baserunner (40 speed, 20 steal) and his defense is just above average (60).
My top prospect, Bo Bichette, also is blocked by him.

Should I trade him to the Toledo Mud Hens, who are looking to unload Anthony Rendon. (Rendon takes over at third, Bichette comes up from AAA and gets two and half months to see what he can do).

I could pull it off for Chung and a Top 10-15 prospect. Salary isn't an issue, I think I can get Toledo to eat some of Rendon's deal.

I don't like the idea of giving up a five-star for a 3.5 star, but it also opens the door for a potental 3.5 to get a shot at the bigs.
I put the trade out there to Toledo and should hear back in a day or too.
Just wondering what some of you other GMs/managers/whatever think.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

I've noticed that quite often 3-4 star guys will play better in every way than 5-star big-name types. With a few exceptions, of course. However, your bottom line as a big-league GM is production efficiency versus expenses. If your wins per dollar spent are better with Rendon and Bichette, by all means do it. It sounds like you'll be better and more cost-controlled that way. Get them to take 30-50% of Rendon's contract, and voila, you have the left side of your infied!
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

there is a lot to like with this trade. I like players that can play more than one position and even 3 or more is better especially is skills are good and those that can hit and run. You obviously have to weigh the salary aspect as well but the choice is ultimately yours
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
rink23
Hall Of Famer

During the time I was piecing this trade together, I lost one of my starting pitchers for a month to an injury.
With no real viable candidate in the minors, I was forced to focus on starting pitching.
My St. Louis River Walkers are 59-40 and two games behind the Des Moines Harvesters in the National League South Division.

On July 26, I traded Jin-hwan Chung and reserve infielder Eduardo Nunez to the Dayton Fighter Pilots for left-hander Yu Darvish.
Darvish isn't having a great season, he's 2-7 with a 3.57 ERA, but I think a lot of that is because he's on a lousy team.
His $21M cost is offset somewhat, by unloading Chung's $16M price tag.
It also could fill a void for next season, Darvish's deal runs though 2021, as Trevor Bauer is slated to become a free agent at season's end and doesn't seem to be any mood to take a hometown discount.
He's asking for a 10-year deal worth $32.5M per campaign.
This for a guy who is 9-6 with a 4.54 ERA in the 2020 season. Nothing close to the 14-8, 2.99 he put up in 2019.
This also moves Bo Bichette into the majors full time. He's hitting .319 with 16 homers and 72 RBIs at Memphis.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

he's 33 you should defintely do something before you get nothing from him, or worse pay way too much for him to play badly.

his ratings are by far better.. any other context, no way. this guy is 33, though. odds are he's useless soon. get something in return and you are better off in long-run for sure.

rendon is borderline comp-pick quality prospect, though... if it's a need and helps in other ways, maybe... which context seems to support as it moves up a cheap contract to bigs etc etc...

i wouldn't look to get rendon. i'd give that 3b to your prospect and try to get somethign for a future need.

whether or not you are a WS-contender matters for that last suggestion.. i'd still do it as long as it doesn't cause a huge hinderance. if not in playoffs, i'd do it 100/100 times.

basically a senile citizen on the field at 33.

just odds... he very well may be productive to 38, but you can't predict and it's not common at all.

i'd be looking for a better 3b too. bo can't do it that well.

edit: second post infor...

well, still doing similar things... eye to future, freeing up spot, taking care of future need is great... if yu is best you can get, sure. i'd look for younger and something you can trade later for value. trades aren't about what we want, sometimes... but a deeper dive may be worth it. don't sort by overall and dont be afriad of a rookie/mil guy with mostly developed skills. eeven if it might be a few years for power to develop or maybe control is a bit too far under 1/2 etc.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-12-2019 at 07:03 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote