Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #41
Andy
Hall Of Famer

If you're not really tech savvy it's really easy to just copy your entire lg folder to a different location, preferably an external drive.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 AM   #42
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
RICHW posted a wonderful step by step instructions on how to restore ... with pics and all in this thread.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ame-again.html

in fact, he posted a second way (maybe easier) to make back-ups in the same thread .... here's a link to that specific method ..

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4084038

had not yet seen those, so thanks for the info and the links, will take a look at it and hopefully can be able to manage
Chillidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:37 AM   #43
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If you're not really tech savvy it's really easy to just copy your entire lg folder to a different location, preferably an external drive.

I have not yet looked at the above links that mItchkenn gave (above), but if all else fails, I pretty sure that I am capable of doing what you just suggested, so thank you very much for this suggestion
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #44
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This^

You can also use software to automate the process and never have to worry about it. I use Macrium Reflect and backup to a NAS. I can literally restore a save at any point in the last 90 days.

I also keep my saves on a NAS. By doing that, I can play OOTP from my desktop or my laptop (just not at the same time). This slows down the game a little bit. However, I sim one day at a time, so it's hardly noticeable.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #45
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillidog View Post
I have not yet looked at the above links that mItchkenn gave (above), but if all else fails, I pretty sure that I am capable of doing what you just suggested, so thank you very much for this suggestion
You're welcome. Good luck!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #46
BeanballComin
Minors (Double A)

Just a 'Heads Up' for those of you that like to use zipped files for your data backups, especially those of you who use compression in the process.
It is possible to make a zipped file and not have a way to unzip it. This would be due to lack of disk space.
Remember that you will need at least double, (depending on the compression level / process used, if any), the free space of the original file size in order to de-compress it.
Also, some compression programs do allow for you to only unzip selected files within the zipped file, so in that case you might not need as much disk space to unzip.
BeanballComin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #47
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post
This^

You can also use software to automate the process and never have to worry about it. I use Macrium Reflect and backup to a NAS. I can literally restore a save at any point in the last 90 days.

I also keep my saves on a NAS. By doing that, I can play OOTP from my desktop or my laptop (just not at the same time). This slows down the game a little bit. However, I sim one day at a time, so it's hardly noticeable.

have no clue what "NAS" is?
I am assuming "Macrium Reflect" is a 3rd party software?

if a "game" any game becomes that complicated and causes more frustration & stress in trying to save & re-load a previous saves, then this game needs to be "shelved" (not saying this is what is happening) just stating the obvious

I appreciate your suggestion/help, but I do not think I am going to go out and purchase a 3rd party software just so I can be able to save and restore a "game"

plus where I am at in the world, I doubt it is even possible to get this (again assuming Macrium Reflect is some sort of software program)
Old 09-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #48
Afino
Hall Of Famer

I zip up my league file and put it on an external 1st day of every season and then run an incremental in-game backup probably 2-3 times a season. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #49
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

PSA: Back up your leagues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillidog View Post
have no clue what "NAS" is?
I am assuming "Macrium Reflect" is a 3rd party software?

if a "game" any game becomes that complicated and causes more frustration & stress in trying to save & re-load a previous saves, then this game needs to be "shelved" (not saying this is what is happening) just stating the obvious

I appreciate your suggestion/help, but I do not think I am going to go out and purchase a 3rd party software just so I can be able to save and restore a "game"

plus where I am at in the world, I doubt it is even possible to get this (again assuming Macrium Reflect is some sort of software program)

If you want to use Macrium Reflect, there is no need to buy it. There is a free version available, which is more than adequate if you just want to backup and restore your files. You can download it from their website.

Haven't used it myself. But I've heard that it's a good backup software, and you can use it to backup your files using a thumb drive or an external hard drive.

By the way, one simple way of backing up your game file is by simply copying your league file to a thumb drive. If your game file gets corrupted, simply copy back your league file in your thumb drive to your league folder. You can also do this on an external hard drive...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by themonk; 09-10-2016 at 08:46 PM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #50
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

hooray for backups

been making backup for a while now ... recently went to the zip file method.

was doing some testing on historical minors last week, and made a few changes to files, and yesterday realized the game was not generating any minors in specific years. (think i deleted wrong csv file when i modified it for testing, and left my edited one.) long story .... but uninstalled and reinstalled game, after unlicensing. Took me a while to remember how and to actually get my saved games directory on my alt. HD, but after a few choice words and a Dr. Pepper - it all got resolved. Oh HOORAY for back-ups!!!!! Back in the saddle today. Main game is right where i left it and my historical minors (in testing) worked the first two years ...
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #51
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

I've gotten into the habit of backing-up, in-game, virtually every time I play the game.

The shorter the time between backups; the less real time it takes.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #52
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

I use the in game backup, manual 7 zips and I backup start and end of every season to a NAS and an external HD i put in a fire safe.

But then again I am very, very OCD. Just doing one of these will probably suffice for normal people.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #53
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
If you want to use Macrium Reflect, there is no need to buy it. There is a free version available, which is more than adequate if you just want to backup and restore your files. You can download it from their website.

Haven't used it myself. But I've heard that it's a good backup software, and you can use it to backup your files using a thumb drive or an external hard drive.

By the way, one simple way of backing up your game file is by simply copying your league file to a thumb drive. If your game file gets corrupted, simply copy back your league file in your thumb drive to your league folder. You can also do this on an external hard drive...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How big a thumb drive would you need for this? Generally speaking.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #54
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
How big a thumb drive would you need for this? Generally speaking.
It can add up. I have a 50-year, 16-team league with 4 minor league levels. Currently, the league folder is about 2.75GB. Imagine how much more if I had a feeder league or some independent/international leagues.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #55
Reggie
Major Leagues

Ok..now that I figured out backing up I have a stupid question. How do you delete a back up? I'm trying to start over and delete all my back up folders and saved games. Looks like it works but when I go back into the game every backup folder I ever made is still there. Is there somewhere else I need to delete a folder?
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 AM   #56
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Ok..now that I figured out backing up I have a stupid question. How do you delete a back up? I'm trying to start over and delete all my back up folders and saved games. Looks like it works but when I go back into the game every backup folder I ever made is still there. Is there somewhere else I need to delete a folder?
In the data-folder you'll find the folder "backups". Here you can delete all the backups you want to.
There ist just one backup for each league, it gets overwritten each time you create a backup for a certain league.

I also moved to the "zip-method" some time ago and it works perfectly.

I occasionally had problems with the in-game backups when I wanted to restore from that with logos, jerseys and caps not being restored, and I never had that problem with the zip-method
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #57
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I have backed up but how do I confirm that the backup indeed worked .... for I have had a few occasions that the backup claims to have worked but yet unable to find the backup and yet when I did find it ... I wasn't able to restore it .... I have noticed that occasionally if I try to goto restore page and I try to see how many game days old the game is and it wouldn't be correct GRRR sometimes the wording on the backup is horrible and confusing as I am not always sure I am doing it correctly
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #58
meburch34
Bat Boy

I'm good about backing up my league after every game on my desktop, but I lay awake at night fearing that my computer will completely die one of these days and my league with it. So, to back it up to removable disk what actual files do I need to copy over? I looked in the "Data" sub-folder on my C-Drive but didn't see any file with my league's name. So, copied the whole data folder to a zip folder on a disk, then tried to extract the files so I could try to start a game from there as a test. However, the computer estimated 19 hours to extract those files, so I'm thinking that may be a fool's errand. Anyone have any advice? I'm on Windows.
meburch34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #59
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburch34 View Post
I'm good about backing up my league after every game on my desktop, but I lay awake at night fearing that my computer will completely die one of these days and my league with it. So, to back it up to removable disk what actual files do I need to copy over? I looked in the "Data" sub-folder on my C-Drive but didn't see any file with my league's name. So, copied the whole data folder to a zip folder on a disk, then tried to extract the files so I could try to start a game from there as a test. However, the computer estimated 19 hours to extract those files, so I'm thinking that may be a fool's errand. Anyone have any advice? I'm on Windows.
That sounds like a normal amount of time. The problem lies in OOTP’s file structure. I don’t mean to sound like I know how to fix it. I’m sure there’s a good reason why it is the way it is. But every item has its own file so your saved game could consist of a million files. It’s simply takes a long time to copy that many files even if each file is very small

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote