Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

6 pitchers mean pitching battle?

I am in spring training and notice there are six pitchers in the rotation on the team home screen of all MLB teams. I am guessing there is a battle for a starting spot going on?? Can someone confirm or elaborate? Thanks!

Last edited by ForeverRoyalKC; 03-10-2016 at 09:11 PM.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Protect against injury. Keeps the starters from getting too many starts in ST and gives starts to other starters.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

One thing I'd really love to see changed in a future OOTP is Spring Training pitching lineups.

In reality, since performance isn't a factor (especially early on), teams tend to set specific lineups. This guy pitches two innings, then this guy (often a minor league starter or a top bullpen guy) pitches two, then these guys take one each. Teams only tend to pull pitchers early if they're having an absolutely soul-destroyingly bad day at the office.
Then later on as the minor leaguers start getting sent to minor league camp, the starter pitches 3 innings, and the set pitching rota kicks in after that. Etc, etc.

Currently in OOTP, all you can really do (without controlling games yourself) is set a pitching limit for your starter and just hope your manager is sensible with the bullpen.

Last edited by monkeystyxx; 03-11-2016 at 02:14 PM.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the 6-man rotation just depends on how the AI sees things. i don't see every team doing it in ST, so something tangible causes it to occur. either way, i would suggest always making use of the 6th man in Spring training. it should gaurantee no one pitches tired. also, game action is not required to knock off a "rust effect."

(as long as they are on the active roster, they do not have rust, per offical statement made in forums. rust occurs from 14days or more of inaction AND off the 25-man roster - does that mean after an offseason or if they are FA and signed on opening day or later? not sure on that nuance - i'd assume the newly signed FA during the season potentiall has "Rust," but a player on your team during the offseason is technically on the 25-man roster and expected to be training based on the verbage used and how i interpretted it)

about sp innings in ST:

relevant info: i don't change my regular season pitching counts, so they are elevated. i have prevent ai from making roster changes, i have strategy locked, etc etc total control.

all that said, i just set up depth charts and pitching staff (6man rotation) and simulate through the entire ST. SP do pitch shortened outings, regardless of a high pitch count. so, no need to worry too much about that during spring training.

i never looked at an early game, but late in ST they only throw ~60 pitches or so (maybe it's based on innigs, not sure). in RL they ramp up from 30+'s to 40+'s to 60's to 90's - ish on all of those. i prefer the simplicity in a portion of the season that i only value for the potential increases to ratings, but each to their own.

give the AI enough pitchers for spring training and it should run smoothly without much concern.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-12-2016 at 03:02 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Spring training (under default settings) lasts 28-30 games, and the AI is smart enough to spread the starts out more instead of giving SP1 six starts.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
endgame
Hall Of Famer

The shortcoming here that I'd prefer changed is the day before OD, the ST rotation sticks with its parameters. I can't change it to 5-man, ask manager, without him giving me the 6-man recommendation.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
The shortcoming here that I'd prefer changed is the day before OD, the ST rotation sticks with its parameters. I can't change it to 5-man, ask manager, without him giving me the 6-man recommendation.
Assuming you're running 12 pitchers, if your listed #6 is an outright SP then demote him, if your listed #6 is a swingman then demote the 7th reliever.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

or prevent the ai from doing silly things in the first place. "prevent ai from making roster changes" setting.

the start of opening day is when the ai does all of it's ST cleanup stuff - including your team if you don't control that stuff. That is when the AI manager will set it as you will see in the season.

i learned to sim to opening day, fix my roster, then click "Spring Training Predictions." that way, everything in the predictions is based on a 25-man roster etc etc. the AI should not have a 6-man rotation set once you sim to opening day, unless your settings say so. the empty days before opening day are just filler and giving your time to make decisions or a last FA signing. it really doesn't matter what the team set up is during this time. you are dwelling on something inconsequential.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-13-2016 at 04:04 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote