Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Vinnyvagus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Manager Options

Hi there

I have ticked the box to say "Act as GM"

The thing is you can then use the drop down menu's and select yourself to pretty much do everything from picking the linepus, make the calls on game day and from what i see do everything in manage all areas of the team and roster etc..

Do these two areas contradict one another? Being a GM i would have thought the game would force you to allow your manager to pick the line up and deal with the game day situations...etc would it not? If not then what is the difference between ticking the "Act as GM" or not.

Thanks
Vinnyvagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Clicking "Act as GM only" serves as a toggle switch for suggested settings. Whether it's on or off, you can still make additional changes to the settings yourself.

The first screen print is how I normally play (I am "Yankees GM.")

The second screen print is what happens after I clicked "Act as GM only" (I don't play with coaches on).

The third screen print is what happens when you click it off again.

Note in the fourth screen print that although "Act as GM only" is on, I am still able to restore the settings to the way I usually play.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyvagus View Post
Hi there

I have ticked the box to say "Act as GM"

The thing is you can then use the drop down menu's and select yourself to pretty much do everything from picking the linepus, make the calls on game day and from what i see do everything in manage all areas of the team and roster etc..

Do these two areas contradict one another? Being a GM i would have thought the game would force you to allow your manager to pick the line up and deal with the game day situations...etc would it not? If not then what is the difference between ticking the "Act as GM" or not.

Thanks
Bru is almost right (but don't tell him I said that). The "act as GM only" box was requested by many users to separate the "persona" of the GM vs the field manager. Before that human players who allowed the AI control as seen when the box is checked, got credit as the team manager despite the setting.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 02-16-2013 at 07:37 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
rexrowland
Minors (Single A)

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking and not having an answer, but I have a question that is possibly similar enough to not warrant me making a whole new post. I am actually interested in being both GM and field manager, and I likewise see all the coaching options available to me as GM, but I do not see any option to use the name of the GM as part of the coaching staff. My question is do I simply edit the name of the current field manager to reflect the name of the current GM, or is there something else I'm supposed to?
rexrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexrowland View Post
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking and not having an answer, but I have a question that is possibly similar enough to not warrant me making a whole new post. I am actually interested in being both GM and field manager, and I likewise see all the coaching options available to me as GM, but I do not see any option to use the name of the GM as part of the coaching staff. My question is do I simply edit the name of the current field manager to reflect the name of the current GM, or is there something else I'm supposed to?
For all my leagues I am the GM and MGR. You will have to put yourself in Commish Mode and edit the skipper (or fire him and create or edit a new MGR) of you ball club into yourself. Then make sure your GM options show you as the MGR. I suggest using your middle initial for either the GM or MGR so when you use certain GM options it shows up as either GM or MGR to avoid confusion.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Bru is almost right (but don't tell him I said that). The "act as GM only" box was requested by many users to separate the "persona" of the GM vs the field manager. Before that human players who allowed the AI control as seen when the box is checked, got credit as the team manager despite the setting.
One can learn something new every day in this game.

- Bru

Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Vinnyvagus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am new to baseball so I didnt want to start the game off as a field manager as I am still learning the "strategic and tactical" part of the game. I thought being the GM would allow me to understand rosters, minor league rosters, trading, drafts, understanding the various stats....before really knowing the individual calls in a game.

In addition to this post I have one more thing to ask. During my first season as the GM i get new feeds coming from the players requesting i play them and start them more. The thing is my manager is picking the line ups. Should this player go to the field manager and not the GM (as I dont pick the line up) ? Is this common in real life? players going to the GM even if the Field manager is picking the starting lineup?

In these situations how do you overcome this as the GM. Apart from now making yourself responsible for the starting line up (which i dont really want to do yet) how do i help in making this player happy once again? I dont see any way to "speak with your Manager" or even request the manager to play him?

Thanks again.
Vinnyvagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Vinny, here's my take on what you are thinking and questioning here.

"Field Manager" means a couple of things:
  • "In-game Manager" which, if you do not play out your games and take over one or more team controls when you do so, means the computer will manage your team during game play. This is called simming a game and is done just by advancing the game from one day to the next. You can have some indirect effect on play by adjusting individual player (player profile, click Action, select Game Stategy) and team strategies (click your team menu and click Team Strategy).
  • "Lineups, Depth, Pitching Staff Manager" which, if you don't want to control, you delegate to your computer to do by selecting your AI manager for that option in Manager Options.
Note that you can do or not do one, either, or both of those aspects of "Field Manager." If you want to do neither, then set the option and simulate accordingly. You can still be the GM only in the sense that you are still doing the Roster Moves and Transactions, Trades, etc. if you have those Manager Options set to you as GM.

Now, regarding the messages from unhappy players, you are going to get them if you control a team as GM regardless of whether and how you do the Field Manager's job as well. That's just the way the game is constructed.

You can ignore them if you want the computer to resolve matters without your input. Or, you can take over and make some lineup changes (or other moves like trading and releasing problem players).

Just realize that, if you return Field Manager control to the computer, it will revert everything back to what caused the unhappiness in the first place. The computer does not take into account a player's mood in determining what it thinks is the best player for each position and lineup/staff slot.

Remember, the Field Manager is just a computer, so there is no "reasoning" with it or "appealing" to it. It either is in charge, and you get strictly bits and bytes analysis, or you are in charge with all of your emotions and weaknesses getting in the way.

- Bru