Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
GMO123
Major Leagues

I check once a day for the 'update'

I check this forum almost every day in the hope that the 'update' will be there.
Alas, I've faced disappointment every day, but one day I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised by the announcement that the final FHM14 update is now ready.
But until then I'll keep checking this forum daily in the forlorn hope of finding true hockey manager simulator happiness.
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
GMO123
Major Leagues

Sometimes it feels like unrequited love.
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

I wish I had your dedication, I have given up on FHM and have uninstalled it. I will however be right there for the new one when it's released. I just don't see how this update can chnage the world as far as FHM is concerned. I hope it does but I will believe it when I see it.
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Siludin
Bat Boy

So long as there is an update before the season starts. That being said, I play most of my FHM during the summer when there is no hockey to be appreciated.

Realistically I just need some roster updates and whatnot. The Canucks, for instance, are a completely different team.
Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Mordrehl
Minors (Triple A)

Given the the season is a week away and the two biggest OOTP names for FHM haven't posted in

Sebastien 24 days ago
JeffR 8 days ago

And no other information has been provided other than "we're working on it" I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm dubious we'll see a patch for FHM before the season starts, and I'm highly suspicious that we won't see the new version either any time soon.

For a game that has had such a rocky life since it was released last year, it seems all we're left with is empty promises.

And lest anyone forget, the biggest empty promise :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I will use this (locked) thread to give you 4-5 updates a week. That way you know what we are working on. Most of the time it will be boring updates but I will use this thread to go into more detail when I feel the time is right.
Sure, Sebastien is apparently going through some personal issues ... but even before that was revealed he never lived up to that statement. And, since it was put out there, for the public to see, then the it's up to somebody else at OOTP to live up to it.
Mordrehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
yzerwing
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrehl View Post
Given the the season is a week away and the two biggest OOTP names for FHM haven't posted in

Sebastien 24 days ago
JeffR 8 days ago

And no other information has been provided other than "we're working on it" I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm dubious we'll see a patch for FHM before the season starts, and I'm highly suspicious that we won't see the new version either any time soon.

For a game that has had such a rocky life since it was released last year, it seems all we're left with is empty promises.

And lest anyone forget, the biggest empty promise :

Sure, Sebastien is apparently going through some personal issues ... but even before that was revealed he never lived up to that statement. And, since it was put out there, for the public to see, then the it's up to somebody else at OOTP to live up to it.
Are you EVER going to get over one post, made many moons ago?????
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Mordrehl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzerwing View Post
Are you EVER going to get over one post, made many moons ago?????
Nope. If they didn't intend to live up to that statement, then they as a company should never have made it publicly.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrehl View Post
Nope. If they didn't intend to live up to that statement, then they as a company should never have made it publicly.
They are working on it and will provide an update when they know they can 100 percent reach that date. Like you said if they can't live up to something they can't make a statement. They've learned that clearly which is the reason we will not hear the news publically until they know without a shred of doubt that they will accomplish it.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
BobC
Bat Boy

I'm glad the developers have learned from their past mistakes and are not making any promises regarding a delivery date for the final 2014 patch or the 2015 version. There were too many missed dates and broken promises with the first version and it led to a lot of ill-will.

That being said, I do think the lack of any communication recently is too extreme in the opposite direction. There's got to be a happy medium between promising specific dates and not providing any estimates at all. I don't think there is anything wrong with an occasional post providing a broad update. Why not something like:

"We're working hard on the last patch for 2014 and on the new 2015 version. Right now we anticipate the 2014 patch won't be out before the end of October and the 2015 version won't launch before the end of the year. Please remember these are estimates, not promises or guarantees. We're not going to put out anything until we're satisfied, and that could mean it takes much longer than the above estimates. But right now, that's where things stand."

That would give us a rough idea of where things stand without committing to a specific date. Or even simpler: "We're working but still days/weeks/months (whatever) away. Stay tuned."
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

The problem with that bob is that there is a minority of people that don't understand the idea of an estimate. I don't think what your asking for is unreasonable but we've seen that play out before unfortunately. It just doesn't work. They provided the update minus the estimate and it has not changed yet. They are present on the forums, don't let their last posting on here fool you. no one is dying to tell us more then these devs but just can't quite yet.

Last edited by dave1927p; 09-29-2014 at 04:34 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
The problem with that bob is that there is a minority of people that don't understand the idea of an estimate. I don't think what your asking for is unreasonable but we've seen that play out before unfortunately. It just doesn't work. They provided the update minus the estimate and it has not changed yet. They are present on the forums, don't let their last posting on here fool you. no one is dying to tell us more then these devs but just can't quite yet.
I am glad that the development team are not providing estimates on when the patch/new version will be available. It does show that some lessons have been learned.

However, providing no communication at all is a very poor way to treat existing or potential customers. That lesson clearly hasn't been learned at all.
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Mordrehl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold75 View Post
I am glad that the development team are not providing estimates on when the patch/new version will be available. It does show that some lessons have been learned.

However, providing no communication at all is a very poor way to treat existing or potential customers. That lesson clearly hasn't been learned at all.
This x 10

I don't care about the date ... I hate the silence. Especially after they have acknowledged and said they'll improve on communication then fail to do so. If they fail at something as fundamental as keeping your customer based engaged well ... they haven't learnt how to maximize one of the key ratings for service and product providers : Likely hood to recommend

Based on the almost complete lack of communication and the 8 months that have passed since the new match engine was mentioned. Likely hood to recoomend - very low.

Last edited by Mordrehl; 09-29-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

It's like having your car in the repair shop and they don't inform you when it's going to be fixed.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #14
madball
Minors (Single A)

I just want an updated roster. I'm not game to edit the team's too much when I start a new game because of the known crash issue.
Or even the ability to start a game on July 1, so I can edit what I need/want to without having to finish a season first.
madball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
Crombeen
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
It's like having your car in the repair shop and they don't inform you when it's going to be fixed.
Ha... I think comparing OOTP at this point with a car repair shop whom's lacking communication about when your car will be ready is even a proud thing to say about them..

I compare them more with a few kiddo's roleplaying 'company' in the basement of their parents house. I feel like everybody in the world, even their parents knows their just kids and playing around, growing up, living their youths except the people who bought this game. They thought they bought a game from a company but instead when things become a little complicated everything turns up side down and they simply stop communication because of shame or their looking towards a wall of work that they can't handle or what ?

What's next ?

They simply delete the FHM webpage, support forum section and just act like FHM never existed?

Don't know what to say.. and what others think of this, but I'm feeling about giving up on those guys. I've never seen something like this in my life. I can handle buggy -/unpolished software and I'm willing to invest in anything they release but what's going on right now is simply unacceptable and not even close to being professional or a company.
Even parttime developers who release a single 1,- game for your smartphone often act more professional and they're often not even a company but just a person who creates a game beside his study or work.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I was one who bought this game the day it was available, but having said that, I have owned several very successful companies throughout my career, and also am a consultant to both established and start up companies. I also "guest speak" at several colleges in my area, mostly addressing entrepreneurs, and hopefully some of my advice will help them along the way.

Anyway, the point of this post, is that I now use the disastrous rollout of this game, as how to avoid mistakes when starting a business, rolling out a new product, etc. Of course, in no way do I mention the name, and in fact I only say it's a software company rolling out a new software product. I don't even mention it's a gaming company. Being a huge supporter of OOTP, that's not what I would do.

I do discuss the "rushing" out of an unfinished product, missed deadlines for patches, trying to hit a "homerun" immediately, instead of starting out small, and getting those "features" right first. The terrible lack of communication with their clients, the fact that when the next version is rolled out, a "discount" should be given to those first time, "loyal" buyers, etc. And then I give them a small "task" to do, what would have they done, etc., and then lastly, HOW will you bring these clients back to spend their money on a "second version". It is amazing first of all, how many heads shake when I'm describing this scenario. One student came up to me afterward one night, and ask "this was just a hypothetical situation right?", no company would really do it this badly? I just grinned and said yea, right! Over the years of doing this now, without a doubt, the example that FHM has provided me, generates some of the best classroom discussion on a topic like this ever!!

But on the flipside, I do tell them that thanks to the excellent reputation of the main corporation, this subsidiary may survive. It will just take some huge vision for the rollout of the next product, and some business savvy on how to "retain" the original client base. I think that is a definite possibility, and have seen it in businesses that I've worked with in the past.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
Smetana
All Star Starter

Serious business, huh?

Just a game, boys. Some of you are waaaay too obsessed.
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #18
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smetana View Post
Serious business, huh?

to the company that has invested much time, resources and reputation on it, i am sure they would consider it a serious business.

To the guys who are drawing a paycheck from the sales, and that money pays for mortgages, rents, food, car payments ect, they would consider it a serious business. Especially with no sales, I am sure it is quite serious to them.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #19
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smetana View Post
Serious business, huh?

You're right. There are bigger issues out there.. Bigger problems with the world and in people's lives however this is not the place to discuss those. This is the place to discuss the game. Relatively speaking yes, it is serious business.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #20
BradC
All Star Starter

It is quite serious to us, and to those wondering if the game will be shut down: No, it will not. I am privy to our internal discussions, and I can guarantee that we will not be doing anything of the sort. Sebastian has already posted explaining what happened.

Progen: I am curious how you characterize our communication when discussing this case study with your classes. We have acknowledged the issues with FHM's initial release, so those things are fair game, but we have communicated to our customers. I realize that there was a promise of several posts a week on the forum, and that didn't happen, but there has been communication.

The problem is, there's nothing any of us can say right now besides, "We're working on the update and the FHM 2015 release." Our Beta testers can certainly confirm that there are specifics being shared on our Beta forum, but they're under NDA, and we'll share those specifics when we're ready to do so.

Thanks.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote