Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

Best way to develop players?

Is there anyway you can influence player development? I've just hoped certain prospects work out, and was wondering if there is personnel I can sign, or things I can do to encourage successful prospect development.
drewandpedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewandpedey View Post
Is there anyway you can influence player development? I've just hoped certain prospects work out, and was wondering if there is personnel I can sign, or things I can do to encourage successful prospect development.
The most important things I've found are ...
  • Hire good coaches. Not just good skills, but make sure they favor prospects;
  • Force start your best prospects at the positions you want them at. This will keep the AI from playing them out of position;
  • Look for prospects with high work ethic and intelligence.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

draft well, buy good iafa etc..

unfortunately there is no good way to see a good coach. even if it says 'favors prospect' verbage in profile, it may stil be an extremely low value... and mosre often than not it will be. few decent coaches (~100/200 ish for ratings), even fewer great coaches.

most are sub-100 for even the ratings they are supposedly 'better' at. e.g. a pitching caoch may have a 50 teach pitching and ~10 teach batting.

i think it has an effect for sure, albeit limited. the contexts that are difficult remain difficult. e.g. a stud pitcher with 2 pitches developing fine and one remains 1/xx or 10/xx (xx=potential). even with 200/200 coaches and 200 work ethic, those guys are future RPs most times than not.

edit: heh, leads to the idea of recognizing long-shots with high potential... avoid them or trade them early for a better return. or accept they will be just an RP etc.. or a bench player. i don't think batters really run into anything as crazy obvious as pitchers... but, if their power isn't creeping upward by 23-24 you should be very worried. even if it does, you'll only get 3-5 years out fo them before age is a problem. certainly won't be a good long-term contract.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Juggernt
Major Leagues

I've had success with turning former players, especially HoF'ers into coaches. Catchers seem to make good managers and sometimes even pitching coaches. Good hitters for HCs, good pitchers for PCs. There's not a direct corollary, but I've noticed the better the MLB career, the better the coach.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernt View Post
I've had success with turning former players, especially HoF'ers into coaches. Catchers seem to make good managers and sometimes even pitching coaches. Good hitters for HCs, good pitchers for PCs. There's not a direct corollary, but I've noticed the better the MLB career, the better the coach.
Thanks - I'll experiment with this. Start them out coaching in the minors im assuming?
Old 10-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewandpedey View Post
Thanks - I'll experiment with this. Start them out coaching in the minors im assuming?
Absolutely. And once I find a good crew, I just auto-renew all their contracts every year. I have coaches in my minor league system 20+ years now.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Absolutely. And once I find a good crew, I just auto-renew all their contracts every year. I have coaches in my minor league system 20+ years now.
Just signed Mike Napoli, Barry Bonds, and Roy Oswalt to minor league coaching deals
Old 10-05-2018, 12:26 AM   #8
Situational_Lefty
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I have a hard time resigning a lot of my minor league coaches. They often refuse to sign extensions. Maybe they hate working for Peter Angelos.
Situational_Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Maybe historical leagues are different than fictional (which is most of what I'm doing). When the owner gives me the mid-season update, I go to the Personnel screen, hit the button that extends all the minor league folks, and no one has balked the 30+ years I've simmed.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Surprised that no one mentioned it but you can up your organization development budget during the preseason. Keep in mind that what you spend here can't be spent elsewhere.

If you are rebuilding it is a good idea to keep this spend high and if you are win now you may want to reduce this money so you can acquire talented free-agents to get you over the hump.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Situational_Lefty View Post
I have a hard time resigning a lot of my minor league coaches. They often refuse to sign extensions. Maybe they hate working for Peter Angelos.
You have to move them up before you try to resign them.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the good coaches I sign them for 5 years each and I don't haggle on contract I just give them what they want. Price is insignificant compared to development. Plus when I haggle on contract I next to never know what they say via email. Been this way for many versions. I always keep an eye on contract during off season to make sure I didn't lose them or they signed with me. I do get email when they sign with me. Never negotiate. So I just give what they want.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
the good coaches I sign them for 5 years each and I don't haggle on contract I just give them what they want. Price is insignificant compared to development. Plus when I haggle on contract I next to never know what they say via email. Been this way for many versions. I always keep an eye on contract during off season to make sure I didn't lose them or they signed with me. I do get email when they sign with me. Never negotiate. So I just give what they want.
Same here.

Coaches are an afterthought. It's too bad hiring coaches wasn't more interesting.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

turn on comissioner mode... if you have more than 1/10 managers worth a penny, you are doing something right or just plain lucky.

if they all have bad ratings and your players are developing fine, that tells you how important it is.

pitching and batting coaches? same idea, but limited to teach pitching/batting etc. few are 100+ / 200 in the important factors.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote