Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Scouting report puzzlement

So I'm reading the news and see a player named Berberet has been traded. I immediately think of the old C Lou Berberet, so I look at this player. And see:

Now I'm perfectly happy with OOTP and my guy differing about scouting. However, How does one reconcile the OOTP report with two stars of potential and my guy's far less sterling batting skill opinions with 2.5 stars?

What is going on? Why did this happen?
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
One can only speculate but I think scouts have preferences on what skills they value so....

The one scout may weigh defense higher in his evaluation.

Could also have a higher value for a flyball hitter, where the OSA scout prefers line drive hitters with that high contact rating? Not all fly balls, even with that power reach the seats and can be run down where line drives, with that power, will still easily reach the seats but also be more likely to drop in for hits or find the gap.

Maybe one scout prefers a guy that can spray the ball around? He sees a dead pull hitter as a negative being easier to defend with the shift somewhat negating that high contact rating?

I use the 20-80 scale so have no idea about the stars but if this were a guy in my league and one scout had him a 40 and the other a 45 I wouldn't give it too much thought.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
One can only speculate but I think scouts have preferences on what skills they value so....

The one scout may weigh defense higher in his evaluation.

Could also have a higher value for a flyball hitter, where the OSA scout prefers line drive hitters with that high contact rating? Not all fly balls, even with that power reach the seats and can be run down where line drives, with that power, will still easily reach the seats but also be more likely to drop in for hits or find the gap.

Maybe one scout prefers a guy that can spray the ball around? He sees a dead pull hitter as a negative being easier to defend with the shift somewhat negating that high contact rating?

I use the 20-80 scale so have no idea about the stars but if this were a guy in my league and one scout had him a 40 and the other a 45 I wouldn't give it too much thought.

All of the above.

Plus, unless scouting is set to 100% accurate, any evaluation of a player with so little experience is rarely certain.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I considered all those things, and I suppose so.

Except:

1) one scout is ALL scouts. So what do they value and how does one learn that? By that I mean it is the OOTP scouting consortium.

2) ALL the bars are higher for OSA yet they conclude a half-star less.

The appearance of something wrong is what is off to me.

Last edited by Leo_The_Lip; 07-27-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
I considered all those things, and I suppose so.

Except:

1) one scout is ALL scouts. So what do they value and how does one learn that? By that I mean it is the OOTP scouting consortium.

2) ALL the bars are higher for OSA yet they conclude a half-star less.

The appearance of something wrong is what is off to me.
Set scouting to 100%, recalc the scouting then re-do the comparison? Does it make more sense?
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drstrangelove View Post
Set scouting to 100%, recalc the scouting then re-do the comparison? Does it make more sense?
Excellent suggestion!

At 100% accuracy, the mystery deepens.

My guy's assessment is almost exactly right, however 2 stars of potential are shown, not 2.5.

So it seems as if OSA 'knows' his true potential is 2 stars, but my guy is MUCH closer to the true ratings. Yet my guy sees 2.5 stars.

I'm even more confounded!