Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 4 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM dynasties here!

Old 08-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #541
JaytheGreat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Looks like the Red Wings just like in real life are the Dead Wings.
JaytheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #542
enf91
Minors (Double A)

Check out Jonathan! 88 points AND 349 PIM! And in response to the above, we also have the Boston Ruins.

Last edited by enf91; 08-09-2018 at 06:43 PM.
enf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #543
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Man, you guys are hard on struggling teams!! Both the Bruins and Wings added a really good player in the offseason, though i still don't think it's close to enough to scare anyone!!
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #544
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1979 NHL Offseason News and Notes

The 7th AVCO cup goes to the Birmingham Bulls, who upset the first place Oilers.

Here are the skating leaders from the 78/79 NHL season.

Here are the goalie leaders.

Here are the playoff leaders.

This game doesn’t seem to like record breakers. Again we see someone break some serious records, and the Hart Trophy goes to a different player. Guy Lafleur had the best statistical season ever for the team that won the most ever, and won their first cup. He was the best player in the league. Marcel Dionne wins the award instead. It’s his 6th time winning it. He’s 27!!!

I screwed up this year. The real NHL added the Frank J Selke trophy last season, but I forgot to add it into the game. The Selke award is given to the forward who best displays the most skill in the defensive components of the game. Frank Selke is a former GM of both the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs, who won 9 cups in real life. I’ll add that this offseason, and it will presented for the first time next year!

Long time NY Rangers Gary Bergman has retired. He’s a player I probably have never mentioned here. Lets face it, I can’t see or talk about everyone! Some guys slip through the cracks. Bergman played 20 years for the Rangers, amassing 1393 games, and 540 points. He also played in 144 playoff games. The Rangers announced they will be retiring his number 22! So that’s why I'm mentioning him now.

The Rangers are retiring Bergman's number!

Toronto also loses JP Parise to retirement. Parise leaves the game at age 37, coming off a 71 point season. He spent his whole 17 year career in Toronto, playing 1209 games, and reaching 1096 points. Parise was a impact player, who was a key part of the NHL’s greatest dynasty. His number 71 will be retired by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Parise spent his whole career in Toronto

Montreal’s Yvan Cournoyer retires at age 35. That’s young, but his production slowed and his skills eroded over the last 2 years. Montreal stole Cournoyer from Toronto back in 64, and enjoyed one of the best all around players for 15 years. Yvan retires with 823 career points in 979 games. Montreal will honour his number 9!

The WHA is no more. After finishing the last season with just 6 clubs, the league was on the brink of a financial disaster. Unable to meet payroll, the WHA and NHL agreed to somewhat of a merger. The Edmonton Oilers, New England Whalers, Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets were all granted NHL franchises.

First things first, the Oilers and Jets will play in the Smythe Division. The Whalers have changed their name to Hartford and will play in the Norris division and the Nordiques will play in the Adams division. With 21 teams, the playoff format has changed….

Divisions now only matter in terms of who wins them, and the seed they get in the playoffs. Each team will player each other team 4 times. Other then first place, the divisions are just for show.

As soon as the ink dried on the new agreement, players without NHL rights were allowed to sign with any NHL teams. Wayne Gretzky is one of those players. The 18 year old has signed a 3 year contract worth 185,000 per year. Wayne Gretzky, is a Hartford Whaler!!!

The next day, it looks like there is an expansion draft. The new WHA teams do not look like they have been allowed to keep any players they had in their league. I don’t know the rules of this draft. I don’t know who is eligible, and who can be protected. So here are the results.

Top pick Mike Palmateer stays with Edmonton after starting for them the last few years. There are some decent players picked. Many of them were WHA players who the NHL obviously thought are expendable.

Palmateer remains an Oiler

The next day, the NHL entry draft takes place. The New York Islanders select Ray Bourque first overall. Clearly the most talented player available, Bourque gives NY a legitimate franchise player to build around.

It’s an insanely deep draft. Players taken later on that you don’t see include Tim Kerr, Dale Hunter, Rick Vaive, Mats Naslund, Dirk Graham, Hakan Loob, Mike Foligno, Thomas Steen, and many more!! Here is a look at top pick Ray Bourque.

Looking at the pic, it's obvious that Ray Bourque has yet to sign with the Islanders on opening day!

The amount of players signing new contracts this year is huge. Players who have no NHL rights and players who do, like Mike Bossy, who has joined the Washington Capitals for 280,000 a year. There are simply too many to keep track of. I’ll point out any big big names, or any surprises…

Bossy is in the NHL after a two year WHA stint.

Midway through August, and I'm fascinated with the Atlanta Flames. After making it to the semi finals, the opportunity to really improve to a legit contender came with the end of the WHA! Brian Sutter, Steve Shutt, Rick Middleton, Al MacAdam and Dough Risebrough are all atop of the Flames depth chart. They were all impact players in the WHA. They all remain unsigned! Atlanta, get your **** together, sign these guys and take a shot at a cup!!

Will WHA career scoring leader Al MacAdam join the Flames?

Gordie Howe and Johnny Bucyk have been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. There really isn’t anything I can say about Gordie Howe that I haven’t already. He’s simply the best player we have seen. He produced for a very very long time. Johnny Bucyk left the NHL for the WHA in the new leagues first year. He did well there, but will always be remembered as a Bruin. If he stayed in the NHL, he would have scored well over 1000 points.

The Chicago Blackhawks are the first team that will get to sign a iron curtain player. 27 year old winger Jaroslav Pouzar will come over from Czechoslovakia. He’s a slick puck handler, and a fairly defensive minded player. He won’t hit a lot, but he will play good hockey in his own zone. Pouzar is listed on Chicago’s 2nd line.

The newest Hawk

The Minnesota North Stars are the 2nd team to be selected. They will sign 21 year old, stud defenseman Slava Fetisov!! The Russian is an extremely talented player who will rival any defenseman in the league with his defensive skill. After picking up Jiri Bubla last year, getting Tiger Williams from the WHA, drafting Dino Ciccarelli, and now getting Fetisov, I think the North Stars are finally ready to stop teasing the fans, and are about to be real contenders!

Fetisov joins a talented North Star blueline!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #545
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1979-80 NHL Season Preview

Here is part 2 of the original six franchise review

Player Spotlight

The Flames end up signing Rick Middleton, Al MacAdam, Brent Sutter and Steve Shutt. I will spotlight Al MacAdam today. He’s the all time leading scorer in WHA history, with 749 points in 522 games. MacAdam played his whole career in Winnipeg, and I’m sure Jets fans are disappointed they couldn’t keep him. MacAdam is 27. Lets see how the best scorer in WHA history does in the NHL in his prime.

Mike Bossy comes over to the Washington Capitals after a 2 year stint in the WHA. Bossy scored 86 goals after being selected first overall a few years back. His presence, combined with a top 10 player in Dennis Maruk give Washington a legit chance to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

Last edited by George_Bell; 08-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #546
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1979-80 NHL Regular Season

The Oilers first game does not go well. They manage only 8 shots against a not great Chicago team. Edmonton starts Bob Sauve in net over Mike Palmateer. Looks like a good choice so far. Sauve played great!

Winnipeg upsets the Penguins on the road to open their NHL residency. Doug Jarvis gets 2 assists. Marcel Dionne missed the game with a bruised neck. It’s the first game Dionne has missed in his entire career!

Quebec fans are very familiar with the nucleus of the Atlanta Flames. WHA standouts Rick Middleton and Brian Sutter combine for 9 points in an absolute thrashing of the home team.

Wayne Gretzky is held pointless, but rookie Slava Fetisov scores twice in a Minnesota route of the Whalers.

The LA Kings start the season 3-4-3! This is a team that lost just 8 times a year ago. They have half of those losses in the first month of the season already. Denis Potvin broke his collarbone in the preseason and has another month left of his recovery. The Kings are -5 in goals so far this season. If Potvin is that much of a difference, he’s the MVP of the league!

The Kings are missing Potvin!

Stan Mikita just became the first player to hit 1000 career assists!! Mikita is still producing at age 39, with 22 points in 24 games this year. Stan finds himself 300 points behind Gordie Howe’s all time record, but Gordie never hit 1000 assists!! RIP Stan Mikita…

RIP Stan Mikita

The Sabres didn’t reach the heights they envisioned when the acquired Bernie Parent, now he’s gone.

The North Stars acquire the aging, but still star goalie from Buffalo for young center Bill Derlago. Parent was 6-6-2 with Buffalo, putting up an awful .872 save percentage. He was great last year, and the year before, so I expect him to be able to rebound from this bad start. Derlago is a rookie who was taken 12th in this years draft. He had 6 points in 9 games as a North Star. He looks like he has a nice future as a 2nd line center. This might be a sign of Minnesota going for it!

Bernie Parent joins Minnesota

The Kings trade their high scoring enforcer!

Stan Jonathon is sent to the Buffalo Sabres for defenseman Gerry Hart. Jonathon is in his 5th season, and each year, he has gotten more points, and more PIMs. Last season, Jonathan recorded 88 points and 349 PIMs!! That is amazing. If I was running a team, id want this guy. The 24 year old had 22 points in 23 games, with 73 PIMs when he was dealt. I don’t know what the Kings are thinking. They are off to a bad start, now at 11-8-4, but getting a 32 year old 2 star defenseman for Jonathan isn’t a smart move. Buffalo got better today..

Jonathan to Buffalo!

Just before Christmas, Phil Esposito becomes the 2nd player to record 600 goals!! He’s 37 now, and his days leading the league in scoring are long gone. Esposito is still contributing though. He’s got 22 points in 36 games. He’s playing on the Chicago PP, and he’s got a decent game rating of 61. Phil has spent his whole career in Chicago, and therefor, has never won a cup!

600 goals and counting!

Bad news for the first place Rangers. Bobby Orr, now 31 years old, has broken his elbow. Orr’s season is over. The recovery time is half a year, so Orr has no shot at playing again this season. The Rangers have had a great year, at 39-9. Orr already missed some time earlier in the year with a few issues, and has only played 27 games on the season. He had 11 goals and 25 assists in those games. He was having another great year, and his absence will effect this Rangers team.

Orr out for the season!

The Leafs just robbed the North Stars!

Toronto somehow got Minnesota to trade Slava Fetisov! The 21 year old rookie was playing 22 minutes a night in Minnesota, helping them to first place. He’s got points, a +17, and a game rating of 69! Toronto sends Mark Taylor, a 22 year old 2.5 star forward. Taylor had 4 points in 18 games this year. He was selected 48th overall 2 years ago, and looks like a 3rd line center. Fetisov can be a franchise defenseman. Robbery!

Fetisov should be a star for the Leafs!

Wayne Gretzky’s rookie season has ended prematurely. The 19 year old suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament, which will keep him off skates until July. Gretzky had 19 goals and 30 assists in 43 games before the injury. He had Hartford fighting for the final playoff spot, but it’s hard to believe they can qualify for the postseason without him. Gretzky only had 24 PIMs this season after reaching 100 in the WHA last year!

Gretzky's season is over!

Philadelphia and New York get together on a deal that has the NHL scratching their heads.

New York trades STAN MIKITA and Rene Robert to the Flyers for Steve Payne. Ok, first off, Steve Payne is a 21 year old who had 51 points a year ago, and has 43 points in 60 games this year. He’s a really young, productive 2nd liner, who is clearly improving. I get why the Rangers wanted him, I don’t get why the Flyers would deal him. New York is a cup contender, the Flyers are under 500. Philly gets 39 year old Stan Mikita, a Rangers legend, who is still playing great. Mikita had 51 points in 63 games at the time of the deal. I can’t believe the Rangers would trade him. Add in Rene Robert, who came to NY via Cleveland. He’s a very solid 2nd/3rd liner who scores as much as Payne does. The Rangers, who could win the cup, give up two older valuable pieces for some youth. If this trade was reversed, it would make sense….oh well…

Mikita is now a Flyer!

The 27-29-5 Flyers are now led by 39 year old Jean Ratelle, who is playing amazing!! 30 goals, 71 points on the year!! He’s awesome! 34 year old Nick Libbet, Stan Mikita and Rene Robert are also at the top of the depth chart. This team needs to be getting younger, not adding vets for a long shot playoff run. I could be wrong….but conventional wisdom and all….

Ratelle has not slowed down!

Guy Lafleur has just hit 60 goals for the 2nd straight year. He’s got 18 more goals then anyone else at the moment, and still has a month left in the season. Lafleur and the Kings have righted the ship after a sloppy start. Guy needs 12 goals in 11 games to break his goal scoring record he set last year..

back to back 60 goal seasons!

Final Standings

Minnesota really put it together this year. They finish the season with a franchise record 115 points. The addition’s of Tiger Williams and Dino Ciccarelli gave them 2 very dangerous forward lines. It was still stupid to trade Slava Fetisov though. More on that in a bit..

Washington uses newcomers to have their best season ever. Mike Bossy, and Charlie Simmer came over from the WHA, while a talented rookie class featuring Dirk Graham, Craig MacTavish and Michel Goulet got the Caps 92 points, and their first trip to the playoffs.

None of the WHA expansion teams make the second season. Hartford only won three games after Wayne Gretzky got injured.

Guy Lafleur did break his own goal scoring record, scoring 72 goals this season. He also fell just 1 point back of his points record. Lafleur scored 27 points over the final 10 games of the season! His teammate, Butch Goring tied Stan Mikita’s old mark of 136 points and set a new assists record with 95!

Slava Fetisov, Toronto’s young star defenseman, found his offense, getting 20 points, and a +22 in his 34 games as a Leaf. I keep saying it. What a steal. Mark Taylor ended up centering the 2nd and 3rd line in Minnesota, collecting 26 assists in 39 games. Not bad, just not as valuable as a young franchise defenseman.

Stan Mikita had 15 points in 20 games with the Flyers. The over the hill gang saw Jean Ratelle excel at his advanced age, getting 92 points. Nick Libbett got 72! When these guys retire…uh oh…

Stan Jonathan does not look like it’s working out in Buffalo. He got 26 points and 97 PIM’s in 40 games as a Sabre. Well below his career pace and his season’s pace before the trade. His game rating also fell to 57. Something is not clicking here.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #547
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Go Blues! St. Louis hockey...where hope springs infernal.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #548
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1980 NHL Playoffs

This is the first year teams must all compete in four rounds to win the cup. The seeding this season is correct! The first round is a best of 5 series.

First Round

Minnesota outscores Detroit 26-2 in their 3 game sweep. The most lopsided series I ever saw. Lanny McDonald had 10 points! Every favourite won their series except for the 9 seed Blackhawks beating 8 seed Buffalo. That’s not much of an upset though. Washington in their first playoff series advance, Colorado in their first series lose. Atlanta’s Brian Sutter led the round in scoring with 13 points.

2nd Round

All the top seeds are able to advance to the semi finals. St. Louis almost blows a 3-0 lead on Toronto by getting completely shut down by their defense, but take game 7. Chicago gave the Rangers a slight scare but without Bobby Orr, New York is still playing!

NHL Semi Finals

New York Rangers vs St. Louis Blues

NY’s Blair Chapman scores the series first goal in the final minutes of the opening period. After both teams started firing blanks. Former WHA star Dan Bouchard stopped 24 shots for St. Louis, but Rangers got a 18 save shutout from Dennis Heron! Rangers win 1-0. After a scoreless first period of game two, I expected another defensive battle. NY though broke through with 2 goals in the 2nd. With the game still close, the Rangers stepped on the gas peddle and exposed Bouchard a bit. In the first 8 minutes of the third, Terry Ruskowski scored twice, while Chapman and Brett Callighen also tallied. That chased Bouchard from the Blues net. The Rangers kept coming, and in the end, they turn in an 8-0 win!!

Blair Chapman has 3 goals in the first two games for the Rangers!

Thoroughly embarrassed and scoreless through the first two games, the Blues hosted game three with and edge to their game. They took 4 minor penalties in the first, and Stan Smyl got into a fight. Two more fights take place in the 2nd, and two Blues, Mel Bridgman, and Tony Currie, are kicked out of the game. Through all this, there is no score. In the third period, the Blues continued the parade to the penalty box, and finished the game with 44 mins. Bob Gainey though, gets St. Louis’ first goal of the series, which amazingly, holds up. St. Louis wins game three, 1-0! A much calmer game 4 sees the two teams tied at one after a period. St. Louis has their best period of the series, scoring twice in the 2nd period to take a decent lead. The Rangers respond in the third, with goals from Blair Chapman and Mike Zuke, forcing overtime. Just 90 seconds into OT, Darryl Sutter scores on the PP, giving the Rangers a 4-3 win!

Bob Gainey scored St. Louis' first goal of the series in game three!

Facing elimination, the Blues score first. Stan Smyl gets his 6th. It stays that way until NY’s Blair Chapman ties it midway through the 2nd. The two teams again can’t find another goal, and we need OT for the 2nd straight game. It takes 6 minutes this night, and the hero is Rick Meagher, scoring his first of the playoffs for New York, clinching the series! Rangers win 2-1, and advance to the Stanley Cup finals.

L.A. Kings vs Minnesota North Stars

After an early Kings goal, the North Stars impressed. Dino Ciccarelli tied it late in the first, then Brad Park and Dave Taylor get 2nd period markers. Minny shut the Kings down the rest of the way to surprise the defending champs with a 3-1 win. Game two appeared to have the same scenario playing out. 1-0 LA early, then tied by Dino Ciccarelli. This time though, the Kings turned it on. Guy Lafleur, Denis Potvin, Butch Goring and Mike Foligno score before the 2nd period ends giving LA an insurmountable 5-1 lead! Kings win it 6-3.

Ciccarelli gets Minny on the board in both games!

Denis Potvin’s late first period power play goal gives the Kings a 2-0 lead in game three. The Kings are starting to look like they can handle the North Stars. The lead is extended to 3-0 before Minny gets two goals in 16 seconds. That’s all the scoring though, as Billy Smith shuts the door. 3-2 Kings take back home ice advantage. Just like game three, LA jumps out to a 2-0 lead. Just like game three, the lead gets extended to 3 before Minnesota’s Lanny McDonald gets his squad on the board with his first of the series and 10th of the postseason. Just like game three, Billy Smith shuts the door from there. Kings win 3-1.

Billy Smith will not allow a tying goal to the North Stars!

Game 5 is a statement game for LA. The offensive juggernaut grabs an early lead, extends it, then shuts down any comeback attempt. Billy Smith makes 23 saves. The Kings allow the 3rd highest scoring team in hockey to just 3 goals over the final 3 games of the series. 5-0 LA wins to take the series in 5.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #549
George_Bell
All Star Starter

The Kings have so much offense in their lineup, their defensive game can be ignored, but Billy Smith and Denis Potvin or both elite, and make it really hard to score on them. They showed that against the North Stars. The Rangers look different then when they were last here. Terry O'Reilly is their leading scorer, and both top dmen, Bobby Orr and Ian Turnbull are injured. Turnbull may return to play in this series.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #550
JaytheGreat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

That Kings lineup is pretty stacked, and with the Rangers top 2 Dmen out this should be back to back for the Kings. Also the Wings getting out scored 26-2, ouch.
JaytheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #551
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheGreat View Post
That Kings lineup is pretty stacked, and with the Rangers top 2 Dmen out this should be back to back for the Kings. Also the Wings getting out scored 26-2, ouch.
I agree with all of that!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #552
George_Bell
All Star Starter

The Rangers were the better statistical team in the regular season, but the Kings are the Champs, and don’t have injury problems. Ian Turnbull will not play in game one for NY. LA starts this thing off right, getting goals from Aaron Broten and Gary Sargent. Guy Lafleur gets a third LA goal in the 2nd. That’s too much for NY to overcome. They get a meaningless tally in the third, and fall 3-1. Guy Lafleur opens the game two scoring, but the Rangers counter before the end of the first with a goal from Richie Dunn. Dunn gets his 2nd of the game, and 90 seconds later, Guy Lapointe gets a point shot through Billy Smith. Denis Potvin would cut the lead to one in the third, but the Kings can’t tie it. 3-2 Rangers tie the series.

Kings and Rangers battling in game two.

I just noticed that in addition to Orr and Turnbull being out, Terry Ruskowski is also injured for NY. He had 88 points this season. The Rangers are really short handed, and that’s how they begin game three. Pete Mahovlich takes an early hooking penalty, and Guy Lafleur scores. Ulf Nilsson follows that goal with another, and its 2-0 Kings after one. After exchanging goals in the 2nd, Rick Meager scores 40 seconds into the third to make it a 1 goal game. With 3 minutes left, Guy Lapoint quiets the home crowd with the tying goal, forcing OT. The two teams play for 16 more minutes, before Ray Neufeld wins it for the Rangers! 4-3 NY steals game three. LA ended game four before it even started. Jack Brownschildle and Pekka Rautakallio score minutes in, and Guy Lafleur scores before the period ends. Butch Goring ends up with 2 assists, and Billy Smith records the 22 save shutout. 4-0 Kings tie it.

Lafleur has scored in every game so far!

It takes until game 5, but Rangers leading goal scorer Terry O’Reilly finally gets one. His goal gives NY a 2-0, 2nd period lead. The lead doesn’t hold. Ulf Nilsson and Guy Lafleur tie it by the end of the period. The third is all NY though. Steve Payne, Darryl Sutter and Mike Zuke score. 3 straight Rangers goals essentially ends it. 5-2 Rangers win. Game 6 is LA’s first elimination game in a while. They played like it. Tied at 1, Mark Pavelich scores short handed to give the Kings a 2-1 lead. Then Guy Lafleur and the PP went to work. Guy scores twice giving the Kings a 4-1 lead. NY fights back in the third. O’Reilly and Payne both score late. Momentum clearly shifted to NY, but they run out of time. LA wins 4-3 to force a game 7!

In contrast to the Kings leading goal scorer, O'Reilly has just one series goal.

Game 7

Terry Ruskowski is dressed today for the Rangers. That should give them a bit of a boost. It doesn’t. The Kings are all over the Rangers early. The shots are 10-1 when Guy Lafleur gets his 19th playoff goal to open the scoring. The first period ends 1-0 Kings.

Lafleur has now scored in every finals game.

Despite the Kings dominance, Blair Chapman ties it 18 seconds into the 2nd period. The rest of the period is a better showing for the Rangers, but they are still outplayed. Despite that, we are tied at one heading into the third…

Chapman tied it early in the 2nd.

5 minutes into the third, Mike Eaves finds some room behind Denis Herron, giving the Kings the lead. The Rangers start turning it on. They get all kinds of pressure, almost catching the Kings in shots. Their control pays off, as with just 2 minutes remaining, their season’s leading scorer, who had just a single playoff goal, ties it! Peter Stastny makes it 2-2 with the biggest goal of his life! Aaron Broten then takes a penalty, meaning the Rangers will begin sudden death overtime on the PP!

Statsny is another Rangers who hasn't played well, but scores the tying goal!

Despite a few chances, the Kings kill off the penalty, but the momentum has clearly shifted. NY continues to control the play. Guy Lapointe gets a shot off that is stopped by Billy Smith, but Mike Zuke pounces on the rebound, finds the back of the net, and wins the Stanley Cup!!! Rangers win 3-2!!

(Box score thumbnail)

Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #553
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Old 08-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #554
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1980 NHL Offseason News and Notes

Here are the skating leaders from last season.

Here are the goalie leaders from last season.

Here are the playoff scoring leaders.

OK, I'm starting to think the game doesn’t understand the Hart Trophy. Marcel Dionne finished with 108 points to win his 7th Hart Trophy. It’s his lowest point total in 5 years, which is definitely impressive, but Pittsburgh finished 10th in the league and lost in round 1 of the playoffs. I don’t care what planet your on, or what your definition is. Dionne isn’t a deserving winner this season.

Guy Lafleur wins his 2nd straight Conn Smythe award, this time in a loss. Alain Cote wins the first ever Selke Trophy, and Mike Gartner, with 99 points, edges out Mike Bossy for the rookie of the year.

Philadelphia’s oldtimers, Jean Ratelle and Stan Mikita have both retired. Ratelle had a fantastic run with the Flyers. It culminated in his final year, where he scored 38 goals, and 92 points. His loss will be a blow to a team without much depth. Mikita had 15 points in his 20 games, giving him a total of 66 points his final year. Mikita retires as the 2nd highest scorer in league history, and one goal short of 600! The Leafs and Rangers will retire each players number, obviously. Here is a look at their great careers.

Stan Mikita Jean Ratelle

The Atlanta Flames, who have struggled with attendance, and losing money, have been sold to a group from Calgary. As a result, the Flames have left Atlanta. The Calgary Flames have been born. Here is a look at their new look, as well as all the other changes coming up this year.

Washington trades a first liner to Edmonton.

After just a year in the NHL, Charlie Simmer goes back to a WHA city. Edmonton acquires the high scoring winger for Jiri Crha and Ron Wilson. In Simmer’s only season in Washington, he scored 32 goals and had 87 points. He immediately becomes Edmonton’s best player. Washington gets goalie Jiri Crha, who has fallen from the lofty heights he debuted with. Crha, who won a cup in his rookie year, is now a 3 star goalie, who had fallen to third on the Oilers depth chart. He should start in Washington. Both teams fill needs with this trade, though I think Simmer is a fantastic player.

Simmer joins the Oilers!

We have another loaded draft class. So much potential here. Chris Chelios has the highest potential, and is taken first overall by the Winnipeg Jets. Mark Messier becomes teammates with Wayne Gretzky in Hartford, and Adam Oates going at #9 to the Rangers could be an absolute steal!

No Hall of fame inductions, no leagues folding, no expansion, an easy offseason for me. Just the iron curtain lottery left…

There are a bunch of Europeans that have not come over to play, not just iron curtain players, so I’m opening up the lottery to any European that a team owns the rights to from now on. The Colorado Rockies win the lottery, which they need. They will now sign 20 year old Swede, Mats Naslund. Mats was taken in last years draft, 24th overall. He’s a potential first liner for the Rockies.

Naslund will play for the Rockies!

Washington is the 2nd team selected, and will sign 19 year old Frenchman, Michel Galarneau. Just a 0.5 star prospect, Galarneau is probably the first professional hockey player from France playing in the game, but looks destined for the AHL. He does not have the skill nor potential to be an NHL player as of today. Win some, lose some…

Can Galarneau play in the NHL some day?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #555
enf91
Minors (Double A)

AGAIN, BOSTON? What is their fixation with drafting mediocre Americans? Who runs the team, Sheila Broflovski? (If you haven't seen "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut", do so.)

I REALLY hope we see a Lafleur-Goring vs. Gretzky-Messier Stanley Cup. That would be the stuff of legend.
enf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:54 AM   #556
skyballer455
All Star Reserve

Great job as always, I'm really enjoying this.

Do you still have the pre-1931 jerseys available? The link you provided me last year has gone dead.

Last edited by skyballer455; 08-18-2018 at 01:40 AM.
skyballer455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #557
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enf91 View Post
AGAIN, BOSTON? What is their fixation with drafting mediocre Americans? Who runs the team, Sheila Broflovski? (If you haven't seen "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut", do so.)

I REALLY hope we see a Lafleur-Goring vs. Gretzky-Messier Stanley Cup. That would be the stuff of legend.
Craig Ludwig was not the smartest pick in this draft.

Messier actually started the season in the AHL, despite being 2nd on Hartfords depth chart!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #558
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyballer455 View Post
Great job as always, I'm really enjoying this.

Do you still have the pre-1931 jerseys available? The link you provided me last year has gone dead.
Thank you

Here are all my logos and jerseys. Im too lazy to go through and pick out specific ones.

https://ufile.io/87grp

its only good for 30 days

Last edited by George_Bell; 08-18-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #559
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1980-81 NHL Season Preview

Here is the final part of my Original 6 franchise review.

Player Spotlight

This years big breakout candidate in my mind, is Chicago’s Jari Kurri. He’s developing elite ratings on offense, defense and physically. The only weakness in his game is his mental ratings. Kurri had 27 points in his rookie year. I’m saying he’s a 70-80 point guy this year..

Ray Bourque ended up signing with the Islanders on March 6th last year. He even played a few games at the end of the season. The Islanders now have a core of Bourque, Denis Savard, Bernie Federko, Kenny Linseman and Tim Kerr. That’s not too bad. Here is a look at Ray Bourque as he begins his first full season in the NHL.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #560
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

The Blues as Cup favorites? Sadly, I've heard that song and dance before, and it all ended in tears as usual. Maybe the fictional world will be kinder to them, like it was to the Seals/Barons and Leafs.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote