Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

What's The Point of Baseball Cards...

in OOTP I mean. lol

I mean, I never have really figured out... how to "use" them I guess?

What do you guys do regarding baseball cards? Print them out? Turn them off (that's what I've done since 11, or 12 or 13 or whatever version they started). But I see on the mods site all sorts of "templates" for Topps and Fleer and Score... so some folks must really get into them.

What is that you "do" with them? Maybe I'm missing something so I'd like to learn from you if I am.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
in OOTP I mean. lol

I mean, I never have really figured out... how to "use" them I guess?

What do you guys do regarding baseball cards? Print them out? Turn them off (that's what I've done since 11, or 12 or 13 or whatever version they started). But I see on the mods site all sorts of "templates" for Topps and Fleer and Score... so some folks must really get into them.

What is that you "do" with them? Maybe I'm missing something so I'd like to learn from you if I am.
There was a thread way back in 16 that showed some ways that OOTPers go crazy. Let me look for it.Here it is.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.

Last edited by TheMaus2; 09-20-2016 at 02:55 PM.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
homerj
Minors (Double A)

It's just a way to get a bit more immersion in a league. The generation of cards is documented, and if you get the all-in-one mod for instance and do a historical league, you can get the actual cards generated.

It would be an interesting partnership to get with Topps and have the game by default generate their cards. Especially with Topps Now and have it generate cards for some story lines, and record breaking performances. Could see a lot of potential there.
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps the idea behind OOTP baseball cards is to add a bit of baseball lore to the game for those who enjoy that sort of thing. I've been using them as visual graphics for my fictional solo league site.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #5
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I never used baseball cards until this year, when I use them exclusively for my dynasty reports. Any game-generated cards I ignore unless I was going to make it, anyway.

Gotta say, they make my dynasty look nice!

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 AM   #6
conception
All Star Starter

I turn off the game generated ones, they just take up space, but I do generate them for my team at the end of every season. In all honesty I don't look at them very much, but if I wanted to go back and review one of my historical teams, it's a fun way to do that.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Well, I'd like to give them a try, but I'd like to try some of the templates I see online, but I'm not sure what I need to do. Do I just download the templates and unzip them into the templates folder or is there some other step(s) necessary?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Blue
Minors (Single A)

Our online league started in the 70s so we use the old templates to keep them. Every winter when players sign I make cards for them and come up with stories or bits about them and share them.

"Kyle's twin, Kevin, owns a bar in New Braunfels, TX called Kevin's Saloon. His family considers him a failure over a missed opportunity."
Attached Images

Las Vegas Knights GM, 3 Time TBC Champion

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Blue, that is pretty cool. But I'm still unsure as to what I need to do with a template. Is placing the files in the BBCARD TEMPLATE folder all there is to it and the game will take it from there or is there something else I have to do either in-game or out??
Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
Blue
Minors (Single A)

yeah so the templates I use are from a compiled list. Just gotta place the templates inside the right directory, most likely /bb_cards/templates/ootp17
There is also an images folder that should end up inside that folder. If its all in the right place, the game will automatically use card templates based on the year, or just revert to the default, so in that case I believe you would need to replace the default. Otherwise, you can use any template by going to the player's baseball cards page and generating a card by selecting the template from the list. That'd be a good way to make sure the templates are being registered by the game.

Las Vegas Knights GM, 3 Time TBC Champion

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote