Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
khucke
All Star Reserve

Preliminary independent minors setup

My goal is to reach an OOTP setup that simulates the Major League - Minor League relationship before the beginning of the Farm System. Historically Minor League clubs sold their best players to the majors. This cannot replicated in the current OOTP framework. Instead I have to find a different way to ensure that a high percentage of the best players actually reach the Major Leagues and still have functioning, historically plausible Minor Leagues. I'll use the Reserve Clause setting for all leagues, major and minor, but will intervene at the end of the season and release to free agency the best 32 position players and the best 16 pitchers at each minor league level. The bidding power of higher league clubs should then promote the best talent to the Major Leagues. I'm going to record a setup of a number of leagues and then run test seasons to find out if my goals are accomplished.

Step 1 : I create a fictional league of 8 clubs. This will be my AAA league (I'll use modern parlance).

Step 2 : I uncheck minors. This league won't have minor leagues of its own.

Step 3 : I select 1901 standard setting. That's the year the league starts.

Step 4 : I uncheck 'Hold inaugural draft'.

Step 5 : I uncheck 'Hold amateur draft'.

Step 6 : Season Start date set to April 18 with 140 game schedule.

Step 7 : No All-Star game

Step 8 : No playoff. I don' know if there was a playoff in AAA during these years.

Step 9 : Picture option remain unchanged.

Step 10 : For testing purposes I remain unemployed but check 'Play in Commissioner mode'.

Step 11 : 1901 in my starting year.

Step 12 : I create game

Step 13 : I click Game : Setup & Options : Global Setup

Step 14 : I uncheck 'Enable Drug-Suspensions'.

Step 15 : Under League setup I click 'Clear rosters'. The rosters had been filled with fictional players, but we want an historical league here.

Step 16 : I delete all free agents. All rosters and the free agent list should be empty.

Step 17 : Rename teams

Step 18 : Set roster size. There is a list of historical roster sizes somewhere on this forum. If I remember correctly it is at 17 for 1901 for the majors. I suggest to put it at 22 or 23 fot the majors and the minors alike. With a smaller roster major league clubs would be forced to sign 3rd or 3th tier talent in case of major injuries, as the better talent is under contract in the minors.

Step 19 : I disable expanded roster.

Step 20 : I disable 10/5 rule

Step 21 : I disable draft. New players will enter as free agents.

Step 22: I will leave finacial settings alone for now. They will be set up in conjunction with the Major Leagues.

Step 23 : Options tab: I disable all amateur FA settings. I disable Automatic Evolution.

Step 24 : I check all Progressing Options boxes EXCEPT 'Use random rookies from all eras'.

Step 25 : Strategy tab: I import settings for the year 1901

Step 26 : I change 'Number of relievers' to 4 and 'Number of position player to 15. (Roster size of 23). So teams have enough pitchers in case of injuries.

Step 27: Repeat these steps for every minor league you want to create. Gamb's database has about 1300 minor league players in 1901, enough for roughly 56 minor league teams.
It is important to complete your minor leagues before creating the Major Leagues, because the minors are filled with fictional players and additional free agents. You have to delete them if you want to have a pure historical league.

Step 28 : I suggest to make a 'Save as template' at this point, or even earlier so you don't have to get back to the start in case you make a mistake.

Step 29 : Click 'Create game'

Step 30 : Important: Go to League Setup/Names&Affiliations/ and set 'League Level to AAA or AA Or A. If you don't do that the league is classified as 'Major' with all the consequences regarding player career stats and so forth. Do that for every minor league you had created.

Step 31 : Go to 'Global Setup`' Click 'Add League', then choose 'Historical Replay'

Step 32 : Select season 1901, you might choose 'Import complete history', do not check ' use random players'.

Step 33 : Click 'Show advanced options'

Step 34 : Pick path to Spritze's or Gambo's database. (Downloadable from ootpmods.com)

Step 35 : Set 'Base Current Ratings on..' to Neutralized Stats ( I'm not sure it's neccessary, but I recommend it)

Step 36: repeat Step 2.

Step 37 : Player development : I choose the 'Use OOTP develpment engine' setting. Recalculate is the other option, but I don't know how minor leaguers are affected by this setting.

Step 38 : I repeat Steps 3 to 11.

Step 39 : Under Global Setup I choose ' Use Complete Scouting'.

Step 40 : I repeat Steps 17 to 21.

Step 41 : I retain the default financial setting for the Major Leagues. I adjust the AAA salaries :

AAA Super star salary = Major League average quality salary MINUS 10 percent. I set the other AAA salary levels accordingly, only shrinking the spread between highest and minimum salary.

I set AAA attendence to about 70 percent of Major league attendence, do the same with ticket prices. Click repeatedly 'refresh`button. Take care that AAA 'Average Profit' remains well below Major League level, reach that by adjusting 'Average ticket Price' or 'Average Attendence'.

Do the same to every minor's level

This setup should ensure that 'Super star' AAA players earn more money playing as an Major league average player instead of remaining in AAA.

Again a AA Super star salary = AAA average salary MINUS 10 percent.

This is the most crucial area for testing and tweaking.

Step 42 : Repeat steps 23 to 26

Step 43 : Form a League Assocciation with all leagues

Step 44 : Check settings of leagues once more, I'm not sure to what extent Association rules override league settings.

Step 45 : Start season

I do not claim that these instructions are the optimal one or that they are even complete. They are guidelines for my own test runs and I like to invite those interested in the matter of independent minor leagues to further discuss, tweak or discard them as they please.

Last edited by khucke; 04-23-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: I forgot crucially important steps 43 and 44
khucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

Interesting, what does the 'association' do?

Also, you were able to keep a financial structure for the minors? I thought finances were turned off for minor league teams. Seems interesting. I haven't had the chance to work on this any more the last few days.

I wonder if there is a big enough spread between the minor and major league salaries.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
khucke
All Star Reserve

A League Association merges the free agent pools of the member leagues. They also use the same draft pool. By forgoing the usual major-minors setup, you can define independent financials at every minors' level.
As far as the spread of major and minors are concerned, you must consider that in late 19th and early 20th century the difference of the league levels were much smaller than today. Baseball historians also note that the early major leagues were far from fielding 100 percent of the coutry's best players. Various minor league teams were considered to be stronger the weaker major leagues in selected years. Therefore I can live with the fact that some good players play in minors in OOTP.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Nice base to start testing. Making these checklists and procedures is exactly the kind of thing I like to do with the game, also. OOTP can really handle just about anything you want it to do, if you're creative. Looking forward to seeing your results with this.
goroyals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khucke View Post
Step 8 : No playoff. I don' know if there was a playoff in AAA during these years.
Playoffs prior to 1933 were limited to those leagues which used a split-season format. (From 1901-32, out of a total of 890 league-seasons, there were 250 league-seasons which used the split-season format. That works out to 28%. It was mostly used by the lowest two levels of minor leagues, which accounted for nearly 80% of split-season usage.)

Beginning in 1933, the International and Texas Leagues adopted the 'Shaughnessy' playoff format in which the top four clubs at the end of the regular season qualified for the playoffs. It was widely adopted by other minor leagues within a few years. (By 1937 there were 27 leagues using the format; the 11 other minor leagues all used the split-season format).

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 04-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

You know I've always wanted to do something like this but it was never possible before, I guess league associations are in the game now?

My idea was to set up a standard(pre 1961) MLB setup with two 8 team leagues.

Then along with that I wanted to create independent minor leagues of various quality(real life ones) spread out throughout the country.

I then wanted to populate all of the leagues with a mixture of real-life and fictional players, having them move up through the "system" organically, IE by looking for more money in richer leagues, with MLB being the richest. New players each year would all be free agents, no draft, players go to the highest bidder.

I wanted it to be possible for a strong minor league like the PCL say to maybe hold on to a star like Williams or DiMaggio, or maybe not. Is this possible?
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khucke View Post
A League Association merges the free agent pools of the member leagues. They also use the same draft pool. By forgoing the usual major-minors setup, you can define independent financials at every minors' level.
In terms of using the same draft pool, what happens if I set one of the associated leagues up as a feeder league to the other?

Will the free agent pools be combined if the leagues aren't associated?

Ideally I would have all new players come in as free agents in the lowest league. Then each year the next league up can draft anyone from the lower league (A feeds AA draft, AA feeds AAA draft, AAA feeds MLB draft). Players that aren't drafted repeat the level.

Likewise, once a player is released (I'm going with the reserve clause) at the major league level, I'd like him to be able to sign at any level, depending on who can afford him, where he'd play most etc. So any MLB release players that aren't signed at the MLB level would be able to sign in AAA, etc.

Do I need the association to do this? Or maybe I need to not have the association set up?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
khucke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
In terms of using the same draft pool, what happens if I set one of the associated leagues up as a feeder league to the other?

Will the free agent pools be combined if the leagues aren't associated?

Ideally I would have all new players come in as free agents in the lowest league. Then each year the next league up can draft anyone from the lower league (A feeds AA draft, AA feeds AAA draft, AAA feeds MLB draft). Players that aren't drafted repeat the level.

Likewise, once a player is released (I'm going with the reserve clause) at the major league level, I'd like him to be able to sign at any level, depending on who can afford him, where he'd play most etc. So any MLB release players that aren't signed at the MLB level would be able to sign in AAA, etc.

Do I need the association to do this? Or maybe I need to not have the association set up?
The concept of feeder leagues was meant to replicate the college ranks. Therefore the feeder league players enter the FA pool when they exceed their league's age limit and they leave for good. Correspondingly feeder league won't sign free agents. I'm afraid the restrictions of the feeder league concept makes it impossible to simulate the relationship between majors and minors.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
khucke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
You know I've always wanted to do something like this but it was never possible before, I guess league associations are in the game now?

My idea was to set up a standard(pre 1961) MLB setup with two 8 team leagues.

Then along with that I wanted to create independent minor leagues of various quality(real life ones) spread out throughout the country.

I then wanted to populate all of the leagues with a mixture of real-life and fictional players, having them move up through the "system" organically, IE by looking for more money in richer leagues, with MLB being the richest. New players each year would all be free agents, no draft, players go to the highest bidder.

I wanted it to be possible for a strong minor league like the PCL say to maybe hold on to a star like Williams or DiMaggio, or maybe not. Is this possible?

That's what I tried to set up in my first post. It works fairly good. The negative is that it only works with a fair amount of human edititing.
In the setup I outlined all leagues were set to reserve clause financials making it neccessary to manually relaease players in the minors for major league teams to bid for them.
On the other side when you set minor leagues to free agents financials teams tend to sign their best players to multi-year contracts which also prevents player movement upwards (a manual editing to one year deals is required then).
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

What if you want to add a league later . . . say I want a ML and AAA from 1871 to 1876. By 1877 there are enough players to add a 3rd league and around 1900 I add I a 4th league.

Is this possible? I assume that I'll have to delete all of the new fictional players, because they are automatically created when you add a new league, right? Is there any way to sort them out without going through one by one? I guess I could have them all be created from Australia or something so they'd be easy to sort, if I set it up ahead of time.

Just want to make sure that I don't have to create all four leagues right away in 1871.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

How did this work out? Any tweaks needed?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
Interesting, what does the 'association' do?

Also, you were able to keep a financial structure for the minors? I thought finances were turned off for minor league teams. Seems interesting. I haven't had the chance to work on this any more the last few days.

I wonder if there is a big enough spread between the minor and major league salaries.
I can't believe after all these versions affiliated minors still don't have financials. I am so sick of players leaving my international pro league only to sign a minor league deal in my pro league for 0 dollars. It's just game breaking at this point for me.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
thbroman
All Star Reserve

Haven't heard anything about how this has worked out. If the OP has some news for us, it would be great to hear it!
thbroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
khucke
All Star Reserve

Well, it should work as described. I played through one off-season, but I found the setup more cumbersome than enjoyable, therefore I lost a little interest to further fine-tune it for the time being, sorry!
I hope others share their experiences and show some way to simplify the process.