Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
beatle
All Star Reserve

Changing Home run League totals/Modifiers?

I am going to increase Home run league totals in the game settings to reflect what is going on in todays game, but I am not sure about how the Modifiers work. If
I changed the HR total to 6585 from 5855. What do I do about the Modifier. I am not sure what it means. It is set at .911. If I gave 1000 more HR what do I do,( how do calculate the Modifier-(formula). What does it do? Any help/info will be appreciated. I am sure I need to increase the strikeouts as well.

Thanks in advance!

Beatle
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
discodude5
Major Leagues

Changing the league totals can be more volatile in my experience, I find they are more of a guess to get right.

I have found the safest way to change things is the modifier.
For example if you have 30 teams and avg hr/team is 160=4800 total and you want avg of 180=5400 total which is 1.125 times more. Take that 1.125 and multiply the current modifier, say .911 and the new modifier should be 1.025
In my testing this gets the total really close, however changing this modifier can impact other areas like the runs/game and era
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
If your season hasn't started yet the simple answer is to set all of your league totals to what you want and run autocalc.

If you are changing in season then leave the league total, 5855, alone (you can change it next off season and run autocalc) it is just a target number that .911 is trying to reach.

You will want to change only the league total modifier. If you want 10% more homers you simply increase the modifier by 0.100. 12% more increase it 0.120 etc. It is a simple percentage increase or decrease.

In your case you are wanting ~12.4 % more hr. so .911+.124= 1.035

This won't be as accurate as autocalc as autocalc runs three seasons in the background to find the proper LTM's to hit your LT target numbers. It will, however, get you pretty close to what you want and is the only way to change it if the regular season has already started.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:05 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

don't randomly choose totals, if that's the route you go.

it is easier to dink around with the modifier, but a simply spreadsheet can help you with the totals, too.

e.g. you remove 1000 homerunes and don't change the babip, this can cause oddities in the math, i'd assume that's why they (ootp) always recommend changing the modifiers. it could be that it's simply easier to use modifiers and there is no math oddities, too.

it's more intuitive with modifiers. if you change 1 modifier at a time and reduce it by 10%, or whatever, and you should see about a 10% drop in the league total result for a season after that. no need to re-balance babip, hbp, so, k's and such just because you want fewer home runs and the original babip listed.

when you change more than 1 modifier at a time, you are causing some choppy waters. unless you consider the effect on each other, which can get complicated with many changing modifiers, then you can't predict the outcome as clearly as changing 1 at a time.

e.g. decreasing home runs reduces BABIP, since fewer proportion of balls that are a 'hit' are in play. so, changing the total will cause a change in babip too.

it's all part of the same whole. think of one of those stress balls. you squeeze one area and it pops out somewhere else... always the same volume, but a different shape. that's what you are doing with the modifiers. (or totals if you go that route too, but more complicated to do and changing volumes, lol)

with a spreadsheet, you can make those values a formula. as you change home runs, babip and slugging wil be updated, etc.... the only additional tidbit you need to learn about your league is the SF/year total that you typically see (an average that you can't know from 1 season, unfortunately). without this, it's difficult to be exact with babip and some other resulting stats that are league totals.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-28-2019 at 12:09 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodude5 View Post
Changing the league totals can be more volatile in my experience, I find they are more of a guess to get right.

I have found the safest way to change things is the modifier.
For example if you have 30 teams and avg hr/team is 160=4800 total and you want avg of 180=5400 total which is 1.125 times more. Take that 1.125 and multiply the current modifier, say .911 and the new modifier should be 1.025
In my testing this gets the total really close, however changing this modifier can impact other areas like the runs/game and era
I have also found this to be the best way to adjust the stats...by using the modifiers... I vaguely remember years ago someone said that when you adjust homers, you need to adjust hits, too... if you increase homers, increase hits... if you decrease homers, decrease hits... probably by the same percentages, up or down.

Hopefully, someone that really knows the game well will post and help you with a definitive answer... I think Sweed would know.

I have use the league modifiers for years to adjust all the stats and they seem to work quite well.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 07-29-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I have also found this to be the best way to adjust the stats...by using the modifiers... I vaguely remember years ago someone said that when you adjust homers, you need to adjust hits, too... if you increase homers, increase hits... if you decrease homers, decrease hits... probably by the same percentages, up or down.

Hopefully, someone that really knows the game well will post and help you with a definitive answer... I think Sweed would know.

I have use the league modifiers for years to adjust all the stats and they seem to work quite well.
Well Eugene, with autocalc I have become quite lazy But... back in the day when I did all of the LTM's by hand I only did them between seasons and based changes on the +/- of my expected numbers/results. With this being the case I never tried changing only one category, I only made changes to all categories as a package.

My thoughts for the OP is if this is an in season change, I think, I would just change the HRs and live with how it worked out until I could autocalc it the next spring.

I probably should have noted, if it were me, I wouldn't make any in season changes but instead wait until the next spring, input LT's I wanted, and then autocalc.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
beatle
All Star Reserve

What I take from the above, the simple method is: I increase the # of HR (1000 ) and Hits (1000). Click on auto-calc. This should be done before the season starts. Is this correct?

Beatle
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
What I take from the above, the simple method is: I increase the # of HR (1000 ) and Hits (1000). Click on auto-calc. This should be done before the season starts. Is this correct?
I would go by what Sneed says... he is far more knowledgeable than me about OOTPB... I know nothing about auto calculate.

I think the preseason is when you make changes in the game.

I will add... I also increased the percentage of doubles, triples, walks and strikeouts at the same rate as hits and homers.

It seems to work well... I usually get my stats fairly close to what I like as far as league batting average, homers, fielding average, double plays.

The league leaders have about 50 homers and .350 BA... team fielding average .970 FA with 140-170 DPs each.

Hopefully, someone on the Beta Team will offer advice about this subject... surely they would know.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-01-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
If you increase hits you will also be increasing batting average for the league. If you want to increase league batting average then yes, increase hits. If not, then no do not increase hits. The simplest answer is to not overthink this, autocalc is your friend

Simply input the stat output you want to see (IE League Totals which are your target numbers) for each category and then autocalc. OOTP will sim 3 seasons in the background and apply the proper LTMs to reach those target numbers.

So in your case if the only change you want is 1,000 more home runs then only increase home runs. Your league batting average, OBP, etc will stay the same within a small percent.

One more thing I would advise is to run autocalc on opening day, BEFORE, any games are played. Once a game is played you can no longer run autocalc. The reason I like opening day is rosters are trimmed down to the regular season limit, whatever you have it set at.

Hope that helps.