Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
cbbl
All Star Starter

Infield hits

OK, I'm jumping on this bandwagon. For next year's version PLEASE adjust the number of bizarre "no way that happens this often in real life" infield hits. Hits where the first basemen picks up the ball near the bag and just stands there. Or where the second basemen picks up the ball and just stands there. Or where the shortstop picks up the ball and just stands there. You get the idea.

Especially when the game is tied in the 9th inning. I forced the game to exit to disallow my own team a victory because I could not in good consciousness accept the win (especially after a balk, error, AND a hit batsman is what caused my team to even be within one run in the first place!). Now down by one, the infield hit ties the game ... and the the pitcher walks in the winning run. Ctrl-Alt-Delete!

Yes, I know, one game does not a problem make, but I see ALOT of infield hits watching my team play.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I see your point about the animations still needing a lot of work in this area.
But you do realize that the infield hit your team got was valid, right? The visualization might not have been very good, but that's just decoration. The hit was real.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
LarryDu4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It is kind of frustrating to see the shortstop refusing to throw to first on what appears to be a hard-hit grounder; but, the frequency of infield hits DOES seem to be a LOT greater in V20 than in any of the prior versions I've played. I have no stats to back this up (and anyway it would be relegated to the "small sample size" argument) but I also believe this is happening a lot more than it does in real life too.
LarryDu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDu4 View Post
It is kind of frustrating to see the shortstop refusing to throw to first on what appears to be a hard-hit grounder; but, the frequency of infield hits DOES seem to be a LOT greater in V20 than in any of the prior versions I've played. I have no stats to back this up (and anyway it would be relegated to the "small sample size" argument) but I also believe this is happening a lot more than it does in real life too.
Yes it is frustrating. The one that gets to me the most is I put on a hard shift, the SS is directly behind second base, the LHB hits the ball straight up the middle into the shift, I'm thinking double play, but the ball goes right through the SS

All you can do is try to let it go knowing the play is correct but the visual representation is lacking some of the time. It will continue to get better and better in either patches or next year's version.

I believe Markus has a tool that pulls virtually any stat he wants to see from thousands of test seasons. I would bet this tool shows IF hits are, like other OOTP stats, in line with reality.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
cbbl
All Star Starter

Yes...the real challenge here is that the devs won't really address the issue unless the issue can be supported with data ... just me ranting about too many infield hits doesn't prove anything.

But I don't know a way to easily extract infield hits...perhaps I'll count them by reviewing game logs for a number of games over the course of a month or so. IIRC, the major league average infield hits is between 1 and 2 a game (and closer to 1), so if I have an average of 2+ I can claim its out of whack.

I'll have to refresh my memory on the codes though...
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
cbbl
All Star Starter

OK, so maybe infield hits isn't a problem

Perhaps perception more than reality...

This may not be a big enough sample ... but an analysis of 103 games played yielded 103 infield hits (1.0 per game), which is on par with MLB as I understand.

In that same period there were 1910 hits, of which 1396 were singles. Thus infield hits were 7.3% of all singles.

There were some games were there were 3, 4, or even 5 infield hits in a single game, which still seems like a lot, but maybe the issue isn't what I thought it was.

I can keep analyzing more games to see if a different pattern emerges.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Reed
All Star Starter

Also, are you playing fictional, current, historical what era.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbl View Post
Perhaps perception more than reality...

This may not be a big enough sample ... but an analysis of 103 games played yielded 103 infield hits (1.0 per game), which is on par with MLB as I understand.

In that same period there were 1910 hits, of which 1396 were singles. Thus infield hits were 7.3% of all singles.

There were some games were there were 3, 4, or even 5 infield hits in a single game, which still seems like a lot, but maybe the issue isn't what I thought it was.

I can keep analyzing more games to see if a different pattern emerges.
It does sound to me like the problem might be more the wonkiness of the 3D visualizations of these plays than an over-abundance of infield hit results. I think when the images we see in front of us don't seem to line up very well with our idea of how these plays should look they stand out to us more and then it begins to feel like they happen more often than they should.
And let's face it, this is one of several areas where improvements are needed. But having said that, I do believe the 3D visualizations have improved dramatically the past few years and I'm sure eventually these will be less awkward.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Also, are you playing fictional, current, historical what era.
Fictional. Late 1940s / Early 1950s (the historic year is currently set to 1951).