Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Equalizing teams in a new league

One of the biggest problems in the game is the imbalance of talent in new leagues.

How can you make the talent level of all the teams in a new league roughly equal?
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

could you be more specific?

do you mean a league where human managers have an inaugural draft?

or do you hand the owners random teams after a 10 year sim?

If you are drafting maybe you could do some kind of progressive serpentine draft by position. 1st round you can only pick a pitcher, then next round is SS and the order is reversed, then CFers with the middle teams picking first and going "up" the chain, then Catchers starting with the middle and going "down" the chain, etc. Don't know, but it might work. Maybe through in Age restrictions on the picks too.

Or just manually fill the rosters yourself as a commish.
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
satchel
Hall Of Famer

I'm talking about setting up an online league and hitting "fill all teams with fictional players." If you do this, some of the teams are good, and some suck. It's not fair to the human owners; I want them to all start on equal footing.

Does holding an inaugural draft result in a better balance of talent, league-wide? Is that the best method for starting a league of equal teams?

(I don't believe in pre-simming in a human-managed league. If it's a human league, the humans should control its destiny from Day One, and not be spectators to a computer-made history.)

I understand that the Commissioner could go through by hand and distribute all the players in a way which he thinks is fair. I'm looking for a quicker, more objective technique.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
satchel
Hall Of Famer

I do appreciate your thought-out proposal. I'm looking for an automatic way.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

Inaugural drafts do NOT create a balanced league.

I absolutely suck at drafting against human opponents, so the teams I have drafted recently are awful, both in the ML and down through the minors.

At least with a draft the owner gets more of the "team he wants" rather than handed the AI's crap.

Back to your question, I don't think there is an automated way to create balanced teams to start. I wonder if anyone has done extensive testing on the subject. I am not even convinced that setting the Team Strategy effects how the team drafts (or auto-fills).

That being said, I think one of our communities esteemed roster builders should set out on a project to created balanced roster sets to start leagues with.

I wonder how it would work out if you made every team EXACTLY the same and just randomized names. If you are playing in a league without showing the ratings and/or stars you might be able to pull this off. Once the randomness of the player development and the effects of each human manager's strategies take over, the sameness would fade away.
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxvain View Post
I wonder how it would work out if you made every team EXACTLY the same and just randomized names. If you are playing in a league without showing the ratings and/or stars you might be able to pull this off. Once the randomness of the player development and the effects of each human manager's strategies take over, the sameness would fade away.
This sounds intriguing, and although it's more extreme than what I had in mind, it's pursuing the same ends.

I want the decisions of the owners to shape the league, and not have a random initial distribution of talent decide how things are going to turn out for the first five to seven seasons.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
vwxy686
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (99)
Exclamation Oh my word

This guy really has no life, does he?

Last edited by CommishJoe; 03-11-2009 at 10:50 AM.
vwxy686 is offline   Reply With Quote