Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

House Rules?

Just curious: What house rules does everyone use on a regular basis for their games? Specifically I'm talking about Challenge Mode games.
Here's where I'm at:

- Legacy Mode - ON
- Nicknames - OFF
- Show Personality Ratings
- Rainouts - OFF
- Suspensions - OFF
- League Evolution - Click off Expansion, Relocation, Team Nickname (I like to control these)
- MVP - Click off "Pitcher May Win" (I like an award for both hitter and pitcher)

And my newest: Trading Disabled Until June 1 in First Season.

Also, I police my own trades. I could certainly fleece the heck out of the AI if I wanted to, but I don't.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I use real MiLB service time and roster size.
aging set to .75 and develop speed set to 1.25 random factor set to 125
26 man rosters for mlb, aaa, aa using next years rule
DH all around - pretty confident it will be here in the next year or 2
rainouts off
normal schedule no early games in japan
full universe

and whatever challenge mode gets me. thats about it. i started to use real milb service time/roster after ootp 18 which was my 1st. I would notice the top market teams had like hundreds of players at each level and some of them have 4-6 rookie levels. It was madness.

that is also why I play full universe cause everyone needs a place to play.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

My main house rule is don’t salary dump good players that I signed/traded for who are still good, when I am playing a large market team.

For example, let’s say I take over the 2019 Yankees. I can salary dump Giancarlo Stanton if I want, because I personally didn’t sign or trade for him. I inherited him. Fast forward several years, and I sign Francisco Lindor to a 10-year, $300 contract. Let’s say he’s 5 stars. I cannot trade him 6 years into the deal while he’s still 5 stars knowing that he’s likely to drop off a cliff immediately. When he drops to, say, 2 stars, however, I can.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
DMan77
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I use real MiLB service time and roster size.
aging set to .75 and develop speed set to 1.25 random factor set to 125
26 man rosters for mlb, aaa, aa using next years rule
DH all around - pretty confident it will be here in the next year or 2
rainouts off
normal schedule no early games in japan
full universe

and whatever challenge mode gets me. thats about it. i started to use real milb service time/roster after ootp 18 which was my 1st. I would notice the top market teams had like hundreds of players at each level and some of them have 4-6 rookie levels. It was madness.

that is also why I play full universe cause everyone needs a place to play.
How are you finding your development adjustments? I was looking at that today because I'm seeing more and more rookies not make it to MLB until they're like 27-28... Which seemed awfully old given how many young superstars we're seeing in the MLB this year.
DMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan77 View Post
How are you finding your development adjustments? I was looking at that today because I'm seeing more and more rookies not make it to MLB until they're like 27-28... Which seemed awfully old given how many young superstars we're seeing in the MLB this year.
I'm not far enough into a season in OOTP XX. But it was perfect in OOTP 19 so I carried the settings over to a new XX universe.

Its still not drastic you will occasionally get the superstar that is in MLB by 20 but its pretty close to real life frequency. Same thing with 35-40 year old still playing.

My gut feeling is even with those changes the MLB still has more young players and older players in real world but in game its damn close.

I def got it from a forum post within last 2-3 years where someone did all kinds of research on it.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
DMan77
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I'm not far enough into a season in OOTP XX. But it was perfect in OOTP 19 so I carried the settings over to a new XX universe.

Its still not drastic you will occasionally get the superstar that is in MLB by 20 but its pretty close to real life frequency. Same thing with 35-40 year old still playing.

My gut feeling is even with those changes the MLB still has more young players and older players in real world but in game its damn close.

I def got it from a forum post within last 2-3 years where someone did all kinds of research on it.
I'm going to give it a go too! Hopefully as we play through a few seasons we can draw some conclusions MLB is becoming a early 20's league! I'm not sure I want to completely mimic that but it would be nice to see guys hitting the majors before they're 27th birthday!

We'll see what happens!
DMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

I also think real life service time and roster size not only helps the player but helps the AI. They can't by mistake bury someone in A- when he needs to be AAA usually he will have too much service time. So they are forced to move him up. And I found this to be the case a lot of times without service limits and unlimited roster size.

Might a good future player get cut by the AI, sure. Might the human cut a future good player you bet. It's nice to have a full universe with all Indy and Internationals. Gives all of these cut guys a potential place to sign and develop.

I've cut draft picks or international players after 2-3 years that had awful stats and ratings. And noticed some of them have a chance years later.

Then you can see who does Indy ball maybe pops then signs International league and maybe reaches high milb or mlb by time they are 24-26. Anything can happen with young players who are 16-19. They are too young without enough experience for any scout or human to know.

But it also depends on what team you are. Some only have 2 rookie levels and some of like 4 or 5. Like when I did Oakland they have the fewest milb levels possible. So you basically had to cut around 25-35 players every year just because of the draft not counting trades, signings, int promotions etc.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i reduce club control a year off mlb and mil. i also reduce max contract length to 7 years.

the first couple to hurt me, and the last thing to improve the leauge as a whole... well all geared for that, i guess.

FA isn't crazy with younger players, but i do occassionally see a 'bryce harper' tpye FA more often than with 10 year contracts and longer club control. it isn't a whacky increase at all and i don't sign those types of players, so it's all benefit for the AI teams.

i want prospects forced up to MLB a bit faster than default... again, it isn't drastically different, just gives the AI a bit more of a push to do so.

it makes me have a smaller window for error the way i play the game.. 99% of all player decisions (sign, trade, let go) are not for or determined in the current year. if it is, i made a terrible mistake or numerous mistakes over a few years for that to occur, lol.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
Icy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I also think real life service time and roster size not only helps the player but helps the AI. They can't by mistake bury someone in A- when he needs to be AAA usually he will have too much service time. So they are forced to move him up. And I found this to be the case a lot of times without service limits and unlimited roster size.

Might a good future player get cut by the AI, sure. Might the human cut a future good player you bet. It's nice to have a full universe with all Indy and Internationals. Gives all of these cut guys a potential place to sign and develop.

I've cut draft picks or international players after 2-3 years that had awful stats and ratings. And noticed some of them have a chance years later.

Then you can see who does Indy ball maybe pops then signs International league and maybe reaches high milb or mlb by time they are 24-26. Anything can happen with young players who are 16-19. They are too young without enough experience for any scout or human to know.

But it also depends on what team you are. Some only have 2 rookie levels and some of like 4 or 5. Like when I did Oakland they have the fewest milb levels possible. So you basically had to cut around 25-35 players every year just because of the draft not counting trades, signings, int promotions etc.
Is there a setting to have real life service time and roster size or do you set it manually? and if so, where can i find the right settings to apply?
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Is there a setting to have real life service time and roster size or do you set it manually? and if so, where can i find the right settings to apply?
No you have to edit each individual minor league separately
Old 04-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
Icy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
No you have to edit each individual minor league separately
Thanks! Where can i get real life details to setup these?
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Thanks! Where can i get real life details to setup these?
https://www.milb.com/about/faqs-business#19

It also basically has every minor league rule, its a huge faq. pretty great read in free time.

Here is what I use as you can't use exact milb rules because some leagues limit the service time per individual player. Like some levels have an exception for x number of players allowed an extra year. Same thing for their coaches.

AAA: None
AA: None
A+: 5 Years
A: 4 Years
A-: 3 Years
Rookie: 2 Years
DSL: 3 Years

Also roster size has to be another compromise as A and A+ have a 10 man reserve roster. Since we can't also set reserve rosters for Milb I just average it to 30. This is how I setup my minors. (Note I use 26 man roster for MLB).

AAA - 26 roster limit
AA - 26 Roster Limit
A+ - 30 roster limit
A - 30 roster limit
A- - 35 roster limit
Rookie Levels - 35 Roster Limit
DSL - 35 Roster Limit (also no player in mlb draft is eligible to be in this league, in OOTP XX it is setup as default in mlb games but if you are doing minors from scratch you have to add a regional lockout)

Other Notes:
I wouldn't leave hiring/firing minor players to your assistant GM. As you have to make many cuts each year for new draft class. Plus any acquisitions. Also throughout the year as you can have dozens of minor league players injured you have to sign scrap players from free agent list. Who will eventually be cut once the injured players come back.

This does increase, for me at least, the time I spend in my minor league system. Eventually some of the players will be too good to be cut but not good enough for a spot on AAA/AA so they need to packaged and traded for a prospect with less service time. Because chances are some other teams system will need these guys.

Yes you will probably cut some 18 year old .5 star player the year after he is drafted and 7 years later he will be a stud. Constant decisions have to be made and you can never predict who pops up and becomes developed especially when they are 17-19 with 30 games of rookie ball to judge them on.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #13
Dem Bums
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If you add real life service time limits to the minors, how many rounds should your draft be (assuming 2019 MLB start) to make sure you have enough players to fill the rosters?
Dem Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:52 AM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem Bums View Post
If you add real life service time limits to the minors, how many rounds should your draft be (assuming 2019 MLB start) to make sure you have enough players to fill the rosters?
I always do 35 rounds players for 40 rounds. I play full universe so whoever doesn't get drafted usually lands in Indy ball or some god forsaken international league.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #15
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
https://www.milb.com/about/faqs-business#19

It also basically has every minor league rule, its a huge faq. pretty great read in free time.

Here is what I use as you can't use exact milb rules because some leagues limit the service time per individual player. Like some levels have an exception for x number of players allowed an extra year. Same thing for their coaches.

AAA: None
AA: None
A+: 5 Years
A: 4 Years
A-: 3 Years
Rookie: 2 Years
DSL: 3 Years

Also roster size has to be another compromise as A and A+ have a 10 man reserve roster. Since we can't also set reserve rosters for Milb I just average it to 30. This is how I setup my minors. (Note I use 26 man roster for MLB).

AAA - 26 roster limit
AA - 26 Roster Limit
A+ - 30 roster limit
A - 30 roster limit
A- - 35 roster limit
Rookie Levels - 35 Roster Limit
DSL - 35 Roster Limit (also no player in mlb draft is eligible to be in this league, in OOTP XX it is setup as default in mlb games but if you are doing minors from scratch you have to add a regional lockout)

Other Notes:
I wouldn't leave hiring/firing minor players to your assistant GM. As you have to make many cuts each year for new draft class. Plus any acquisitions. Also throughout the year as you can have dozens of minor league players injured you have to sign scrap players from free agent list. Who will eventually be cut once the injured players come back.

This does increase, for me at least, the time I spend in my minor league system. Eventually some of the players will be too good to be cut but not good enough for a spot on AAA/AA so they need to packaged and traded for a prospect with less service time. Because chances are some other teams system will need these guys.

Yes you will probably cut some 18 year old .5 star player the year after he is drafted and 7 years later he will be a stud. Constant decisions have to be made and you can never predict who pops up and becomes developed especially when they are 17-19 with 30 games of rookie ball to judge them on.
I'm thinking of doing the service time and roster size limits for my fictional game. How have the results been?
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I remove most contract options that favor the player. So things like refuse minor league demotions and 10/5 rule. They signed a contract and will do what I say.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

a suggestion for MiL rules:

use "Service Time" for Rookie and Short-A, then switch to "Age" limits at A-AA... possibly AAA, but better leave that ~32 or so... i usually leave AAA open-ended for depth and such. ~35 would probably be more than safe too.

with AAA you'd wouldn't want to exclude some older depth players that are still competent as injury replacements.

in the early leages, service time is best due to varying ages from draft.

at later stages the ages work better than service time. i use something similar to the real life rules that are slightly different and you can't implement them exactly. e.g. at A-ball you can have "x" number of "age z"... that's how s-a and rookies work too.. .you might be able to have (4) 24 year old max on a roster (made up #s, but it is how it worked at one time in RL)

as far as how many service years you allow at R-SA, let draft size dictate that.. make sure at least ~10 players can float freely while still filling those leagues. you'll want at least ~35 players each year in your lowest rookie league.

i use this equation and it works well

(35+ 30x) / number of years allowed for rookie. x = how many additional rookie leagues exist - specifically, the most by any affiliate

4 leagues = 35 +120 155/4 years allowed ("3" in settings) = ~39 rounds should fill that up and allow some free-floating draftees. that's quite a few years allowed at rookie, imo... but with 4 rookie leagues, that's what you would need to allow without causing major problems with a lack of players for any team with 4 rookei leagues. 155/3 = 52 rounds needed. this does give a few extra players, which is better than too few. "52" would be on high side, of course. some wiggle could be possible.

scouting discoveries and IAFA signees can help, of course. if that's 10-15 players/year, that would bring that last calculation closer to ~40rounds, i bet, but still likely short in some years. (45-48 rounds)...

short a -- same idea, but plan for 30-35ish. expect some of the 'free floaters' to fill some spots too... you see how the higher you go in the mil system the more difficult it is to estimate.

with ages... leave ~2 years gap or so... if you see pooling or a lack of players, adjust accordingly and it'll smooth out. let those outcomes dictate final rules that you use for age-rules in A-AA.

what jimmy says is valid... but, you can cause the same problems with too restrictive of rules too. any drought you create at a lower level due to rules will suck players down to that level that should be higher.

if you don't want to zoom out and test your settings, i wouldn't suggest using MiL rules at all. you will almost certainly need some adjustment to initial choices. don't get attached to them. be willing to wiggle a bit in S-A - AA+. the 35+30x stuff works really well for Rookie leagues and # of rounds needed.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-02-2019 at 01:40 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #18
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

The only house rule I definitely recommend is not allowing yourself to grab someone through the Rule 5 draft (I've taken to turning that draft off completely in my fictional leagues) as the AI is terrible about leaving prime players off their 40 man for you to gobble up.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #19
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
I'm thinking of doing the service time and roster size limits for my fictional game. How have the results been?
I've played several OOTP 19 universes about a decade each like that. I really liked it.

1st every minor league is proper size. You don't get like 100 players on some random league.

2nd it helps the AI and Player make decisions. The AI can't hold down a player that should be elevated to a higher minor league.

It does require more fiddling with minor leagues. Think about it this way. You draft 35 players every year. That means around 35 will have to but cut or traded away once all the draft picks sign.Sometimes more. You can have dozens of injuries in all of your minor leagues depending on how many your team has. Most of the time you will now have to sign replacements if its a long injury. Once offseason happens an the IL goes away rosters have to be trimmed.

Eventually the player or the AI will cut someone who becomes an all star. Chances are these players were cut extremely early in their career. 16-20 years old. Maybe they play Indy Ball or Lesser International ball. Development even spend time at a major int league. Now they are are 25 and coming back to the MLB as a potential all star.

Unless you give ass gm responsibilities it does take more work for the player to look after the minor league system now.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #20
Icy
All Star Reserve

I have set the Active roster size to 26 in AAA for example, but I have 29 players there and it's fine It's the same with AA level, I have it set to 26 and I have 27 as seen in the attached images.

I can advance days, simulate etc. Is it supposed to work that way?
Attached Images
Image Image