Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
Danovar
Bat Boy

Four issues/question (long read) but need some help

I actually only got 3 issues in all due to cutting number 4 for length lol . Ok in order of importance to me.

1. I been setting myself up a new league and I never had problems with it before. I restructure my leagues always by deleting two teams (Miami Marlins and Chicago Cubs this time). Sim about 10 years then bring them back as expansion teams just for fun (by then most all current players are retired or aging out so turns fictional)

Problem I am running into I generate schedule and it's an absurd schedule and the teams are getting no breaks since season end date is 9/15.

I have messed with settings and I am not sure how to extend season to be longer since would like more than one rest day every month and a half for a team.

I am sure there is a way but I am missing it.

Second- I think I might have found exploit (I think) that doesn't follow rules of MLB.

Last rebuild I did I found I could find a 5 star prospect that was already 3 star in minors at 20 years old. Unlike OOT19 I could get ridiculous 10 year extension for 10 million a year (lol). I did find a work around though. Offer him let's say 45 million year one and two. Then after that can get his next 8 years for absurdly cheap. Even if he tanks his contract is so cheap I can move him since he is already paid some other team will take him for decent prospect most likely.

Here comes exploit. Let's say I have two coming up same year. Not to break the bank long term I could extend him. year 1 cheap, year 2 cheap, year 3 40 million, year 4 40 million, 5/6/7/8/9/10 cheap.

Now if I get player 3 who is also "great" I can extend them for cheap 1/2/3/4 pay him big time 5/6 and then back to cheap years 7/8/9/10

So as I keep on playing keeping with this strategy I can lock down superstar players for nothing just space out their two big pay day years in two years instead extending it equally.

As they age and since their contract by then are so cheap I can generally trade them for top tier MLB almost ready prospect and it never ends (years ago by so it constantly works. I can do this and really only paying two players at a time massive contracts though they are all super talented on team.

I am fairly certain this is against rules not sure why it's happening. I actually gave up my last league due to my rampant exploiting of this (When all my offensive players but first base got voted for All star team I figured I broke the game and got stupidly easy and won't exploit it again like this hence my new game. really felt like undeserved championships)

3. While I do like fictional I have never used import historical rookies. I don't want to use real life stats (rather keep it fictional) but I don't want say Babe Ruth showing up and NOT ever leaving minors. If I turn talent change randomness to 0 can I expect a former great player to be at least decent? I notice when manually import some "great" players they show up as 2 and a half prospects so I am doubting unless use RL stats this is impossible. Am I wrong?

Main thing is though about schedule. I want to get up and running but have no idea why this is happening. The schedule is really bugging me and never seen it happen like this before. I am sure there has got to be a way to extend the season. I looked at manual and I just am not seeing it.

Alright any help would be great. Thanks for the help on this and sorry for wall of text. You think after all these years playing this game have this sorted out but I never seen schedule issue before.

Edit: tried to fix my awful grammar. It's still awful but at least somewhat readable lol

Last edited by Danovar; 01-14-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Danovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Well, one thing that I would recommend overall per the exploit, as well a way to increase your overall enjoyment of the game is to not use the Stars. The Stars candidly are meant to be a short-cut in evaluation, but candidly I think the way they actually operate in-game, they end-up giving the human player an extra advantage; So I would nix the Stars. I gave-up using the stars about two or three years ago, and it has added a lot to my experience.

Along that line, I do not know your settings, but I would set the trade difficulty at Hard or Very Hard, with favor prospects; also, I would use the actual 20-80 scale that the scouts use.

As to the other stuff, I am not sure, but again as to the exploit, I would try it with these settings, nix the Stars, and see what happens.

-Cal
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

A few versions ago I found my interest in OOTP waning because of things such as the exploit the OP posted about. But to take Calvert98's suggestion one step further, turn off stars AND ratings and play using stats only. It has definitely re-invigorated my enjoyment of the game. It is harder to play this way only in that it is also harder to walk around blindfolded. But it does make you THINK about the stats and scouting reports in a way that stars and ratings allow you to not have to.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Danovar
Bat Boy

Big thanks to both of you I hadn't even considered just turning off stars all together. Should get to know my baseball world much better also other than just "stars".

Yep this should make things much more interesting in this play through. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I agree with the suggestion to turn off stars. The stars cause most of us to think of players in one dimension. In other words, he's a five-star player, or a three-star player, etc. By turning them off, you're forced to look at the player's skills and you start to view them for what they are - a power hitter who walks a lot, a guy who hits for average and posts high OBP, a good defender who won't hurt you at the plate, a power pitcher, an innings eater, etc., etc., etc. For me, it increases the immersion an incredible amount when overall ratings are turned off.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

On your problem # 1. Import a schedule that fits your requirements (# of games/league structure/interleague play - or not, etc.).

It's at league settings/edit league schedule/actions (upper right)/import.

This will take you to the file of preloaded schedules available (many). Then import the schedule you believe will fit.

If you don't find one that fits, or that you like, look here https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=249096
where you'll find many more available to download into your schedules file.

Also to note: if an imported schedule does not line up with all of your schedule settings in the options tab, it wont load and you'll get a message saying so.

Hope this helps.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Danovar
Bat Boy

Hey thanks all for the tips! Going to put them all in use. Glad I joined up with the forums here instead just lurking.

One more question though.

I deleted all players from 2019 filled everything with fictional players.Vast majority the players are... "eh". So I decided to just sim up to historical rookie mode to see what to expect.

Wade Boggs, Lou gehrig, Bob Gibson, and others show up. in ONE draft which pretty much makes every player I got now even more "eh".

Is this what to expect every draft? Or is there a balance I am not seeing.

I guess for "realism" and not making my 10 year simulation utterly worthless should I just stick to fictional players. I am afraid adding these players is to completely break my games. With horrible pitching I got I mean these guys are going to slaughter the fictional players.

I've never used this mode before not sure what to expect. It's now fictional league that would be using real players in a league of very sub par players. I mean I see top pitching free agent like 10 control/9 movement/11 stuff. I don't know if it's bad luck but these guys are terrible. Adding these studs seem game breaking

other hand it would be fun to play with players I am familiar with. I would just go historical mode but I don't understand rules pre-1960s

edit: reason ask this I can draft 80/80 player who will easily win mvp (unless another one of the super stars do) let along rookie of the year. They seem vastly overpowered. I wanna play honest.

Also sorry about my grammar I am very bad at English lol

Last edited by Danovar; 01-15-2020 at 02:12 PM.