Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #1741
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
You're running 4 teams in OOTP 20? You are more hardcore than I am.
6... I didn't mention the other two

One of those is packs-only and the last one is a MLB-themed Texas Rangers team. So both of them are 90% hands-off.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #1742
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
6... I didn't mention the other two

One of those is packs-only and the last one is a MLB-themed Texas Rangers team. So both of them are 90% hands-off.
I have thought about doing a Ranger team too, but I will not this year unless they have a sale to where I can buy another account for it.

Edit: And next year will be nice to be home in the new stadium.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #1743
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I have thought about doing a Ranger team too, but I will not this year unless they have a sale to where I can buy another account for it.
Yeah, I have no willpower. I had an extra 40 bucks and I decided I'd have more fun by getting a second copy of the game and making 3 new teams than by blowing it on packs.

Also, the Rangers team has been pretty sad, even in Iron. I only have a couple of Diamonds (Harrah, Buddy Bell) but they haven't done too much yet. This year things seem to be clicking (though it's still early).
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #1744
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I have no willpower. I had an extra 40 bucks and I decided I'd have more fun by getting a second copy of the game and making 3 new teams than by blowing it on packs.

Also, the Rangers team has been pretty sad, even in Iron. I only have a couple of Diamonds (Harrah, Buddy Bell) but they haven't done too much yet. This year things seem to be clicking (though it's still early).
They are definitely playing a lot better this year but still after all these years have no idea how to draft and then nurture young pitchers.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #1745
STLRS95
All Star Reserve

New pitchers seem to be working out. Sitting at 37-20 now. Went from 15th in Starters ERA to ranked 5th.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #1746
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

Uh-oh...New Zealand is on a bit of skid...

NEW ZEALAND SILVER FERNS
Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Proud members of "Our League"!
sabakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #1747
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
1500 Points for a 12 game winning streak so with some accumulated PP I added Felix Hernandez to the Gutter Cats from the AH and moved Maloney to the pen.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #1748
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Oh man, I saw all those Felix's on the AH this morning but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on one of them. Now I'm sorry I didn't!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #1749
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Oh man, I saw all those Felix's on the AH this morning but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on one of them. Now I'm sorry I didn't!

Now I'm out of points again. I do have a gold live out on the AH I got from a challenge pack.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #1750
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Patience IS hard, to be sure - and I'm especially bad at that also.

My first couple of seasons were defense oriented. We did pretty well but after a few seasons I got tired of losing 50 games by the scores of 3-2 or 2-1, so I switched to more offense regardless as to defensive ratings.

But the thing is, I like having a focus for the team. All of my teams (except Annandale) have themes: My Monuments team focus is "HR hitters and GB pitchers." For Motown it's "players active in the Motown Years (1959-1988)." For Venusville it's "contact and gap hitting, no homers." And so forth. That helps me figure out what players I'm looking for on the team. Annandale became something vague like "get the best player possible" which feels way too wishy-washy. So I'm going to go back to "defense first" as a theme, which should help them find their way.

I think part of why the first try failed is that I ended up with good defensive players but they weren't generating enough offense. I think I understand a bit more about the game to identify and acquire players that fit the mold a bit better this time around.
Definitely more fun to go with a theme. Otherwise your teams end up being carbon copies of each other. Palolo used to have a fun speed/power team where I tried to get as many 20/20 players as possible, but had to shelve that idea after a few seasons due to defensive issues. Always looking for ideas for new themes.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #1751
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Don't be too sad. I had bad luck with him when I had him.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #1752
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
One of those is packs-only and the last one is a MLB-themed Texas Rangers team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I have thought about doing a Ranger team too.
My favourite team is the Rangers, and I think I have all of their LIVE cards and most of the historical cards on my collector account. Must be tough to put together a competitive team! The best (and my favourite) current player Joey Gallo is nice for homers and walks, but probably strikes out a bit much to be super effective in Perfect Team.

Pudge is one of the best defensive catchers, though his eye is a bit weak. Julio Franco is a good DH option. Their best player of the 90s, Juan Gonzalez, isn't that great of a card. There's probably a Nolan Ryan Rangers card but I'm sure he walks a lot. Pitching depth is probably awful. All in all I'm sure it's tough sledding.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #1753
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
My favourite team is the Rangers, and I think I have all of their LIVE cards and most of the historical cards on my collector account. Must be tough to put together a competitive team! The best (and my favourite) current player Joey Gallo is nice for homers and walks, but probably strikes out a bit much to be super effective in Perfect Team.

Pudge is one of the best defensive catchers, though his eye is a bit weak. Julio Franco is a good DH option. Their best player of the 90s, Juan Gonzalez, isn't that great of a card. There's probably a Nolan Ryan Rangers card but I'm sure he walks a lot. Pitching depth is probably awful. All in all I'm sure it's tough sledding.
Beltre? Sierra? Michael Young? Greer? Sosa was once a Ranger. Palmeiro? Bell and Sundberg are solid at defense. CJ Wilson? Mathews Jr.? Kinsler. Yeah. I remember that pitching was always their Achilles' heel.

maybe
c pudge, sundberg, napoli
1b palmeiro, teixeira, fielder, w. clark
2b kinsler, franco, soriano
ss arod, andrus
3b beltre, bell, palmer
lf hamilton, igor, greer
if m. young, harrah
cf pettis
rf sierra, canseco, f. howard, n. cruz
dh parrish
sp darvish, witt, ryan, k. brown, perry , hough,jenkins, matlack, moyer, hamels
rp wetteland, cordero, henke, russell

Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #1754
Charlatan
All Star Starter

There's a difference between "can I assemble a great Texas Rangers team" and "can I assemble a great Texas Rangers team from cards available in PT20"

I'll show you my roster with the following caveats:

- known cards I don't have are

Diamonds: Alex Rodriguez, Jim Kern, Nolan Ryan, some other reliever I forget
Golds: Kinsler, Pudge (his card is on the order of 20k)
Others: Sierra (a silver), the oh so essential Hank Blalock silver and the Iron Unsung Hero guy I forget who is always listed for 400. Franco.

I do have Frank Howard but sad to say he is on the bench now because I just don't have anywhere to put him. Same with Greer. Same with Bump Wills.

First column for batters is OVR rating, 2nd column is type of card.

"A Rodriguez" below is Aurelio, not Alex!
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Charlatan; 05-29-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #1755
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Beltre? Sierra? Michael Young? Greer? Sosa was once a Ranger. Palmeiro? Bell and Sundberg are solid at defense. CJ Wilson? Mathews Jr.? Kinsler. Yeah. I remember that pitching was always their Achilles' heel.

maybe
c pudge, sundberg, napoli
1b palmeiro, teixeira, fielder, w. clark
2b kinsler, franco, soriano
ss arod, andrus
3b beltre, bell, palmer
lf hamilton, igor, greer
if m. young, harrah
cf pettis
rf sierra, canseco, f. howard, n. cruz
dh parrish
sp darvish, witt, ryan, k. brown, perry , hough,jenkins, matlack, moyer, hamels
rp wetteland, cordero, henke, russell
I didn't know A-Rod had a Rangers card, never seen it on the AH. Looking at the database, he would make a good 2B and Buddy Bell would make a good SS for a nice middle infield defense. Beltre at 3B because you have to, even though his eye is weak. Probably have to put Josh Hamilton in LF, Joey Gallo in RF, and the best CF option looks to be Juan Beniquez... oof.

Last edited by Argonaut; 05-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #1756
Charlatan
All Star Starter

There's definitely an A Rod rangers card, it's a 95 OVR based on 2002. Price was around 10k if I recall correctly.

I didn't get it at the time because the card looks pretty nasty for a 95. From my tracking spreadsheet. I can't see how he'd hit RHP at higher levels (though most hits would turn out to be homers I guess!).
Attached Images

Last edited by Charlatan; 05-29-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #1757
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post

Of course if you want expand your definition to include the franchise's entire history, you could grab the Washington Senators from '61 on, when the original Nats moved to the Twin Cities.
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #1758
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

With the lone exemption for Willie Mays, my all time favorite, I don't repeat any players across my three rosters. My Strat-O-Matic days also have a big bearing. This morning I had to grab Paul Derringer, mainly based on a replay we did in the barracks a long time ago, when I was in the Air Force (I pulled number 1 in the draft lottery), where I remember playing with the 1940 Reds. I'm glad to see this card is based on '39, because it is a little better. The biggest factor is my heart. If I liked a guy, and I can afford him, I get him. I just cobble the team together after that. My heart sometimes makes me stick with a guy a little too long, but, in the end, it makes it fun for me. I'm enjoying the ride. Hey, I started with the '62 Mets, so losing doesn't hurt so much. It taught me to enjoy the moments, like seeing Rod Kanehl hit a grand slam. In the words of the Ole Perfesser, Casey Stengel, that was "Amazing, amazing, amazing,amazing...."
Old 05-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #1759
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

San Pedro logo 2

Maybe Ja?
Attached Images
Old 05-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #1760
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote: