Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

What team is a train wreck?

If you were looking to GM an MLB team that is the most disorganized team, from the front office to the minors to the major league team, who would you say it is? What team looks like puzzle pieces laying all over a table??
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
koohead
Hall Of Famer

take Cain, Moose, and Hosmer off the Royals roster and there isn't much left...and their farm system is lacking top tier talent so you could probably start there
The Mets appear to be a hot mess...Giants are OLD without much coming up.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
philthepat

Have to agree with the Royals... tough division too which is only going to get tougher in the next couple of years...

At least the Giants have some nice pieces to sell off to rebuild the farm a bit... MadBum should collect a pretty solid haul I would have thought
philthepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Padres? Phillies? Or would you say both of them are pulling it together finally?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I would agree going with the Royals, although the Padres are years away from contending as well. The Phillies brought up some nice, young players this past season, and their lineup looks good, they just need a stud starter and certainly some bullpen help.

Prior to the 2017 draft, the Royals had the worst rated farm system in baseball. The Tigers would be another good challenge.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Royals.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Royals or Marlins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

The Marlins no doubt. They can't afford the contracts of their four best players. They have no pitching what so ever beyond Edison Volquez. No major league talent in the farm and no real prospects above short season. They are up to the gills in debt, and operate in a market where a venal and feckless owner has spent the last seventeen years driving the team into the ground and alienating the tattered remains of a fanbase that was never that big to begin with. To call the Miami Marlins a dumpster fire would be an understatement. I's say it needs to be blown up and rebuilt but you can't even have a fire sale when the players you are selling you need to trade clean to get out from under their contracts. That means they have to rebuild through the draft. That means enduring years of the worst kind of losing. Like the Astros did. With no guarantee of success.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mets......

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

irl the tigers will be crap for the next 5-7 years... not sure how the game has their prospects rated.. should be quite barren. nearly 100% of improvement will come from your choices in the draft and trades etc as opposed to any foundation. i don't follow kc they might be worse?

financially they'll be out of the woods after next year, so that's not too bad.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

No real prospects save Mondesi. Bubba effin Starling is going to be their starting CF next year I bet. When your bright spot is Whit Merrifield, you've got problems on the field.

When you have these contracts for these players, you've got insurmountable problems for at least two years and a tough road for at least three years:

Kennedy. Gordon. Soria. Moss. Soler. Hammel. $80MM there. Add Duffy and you're in mid-$90MM area.

Also: Yordono's dead.

That said, I don't care because I got to see them win the Series again, which I thought would never happen before I died.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 11-15-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
irl the tigers will be crap for the next 5-7 years... not sure how the game has their prospects rated.. should be quite barren. nearly 100% of improvement will come from your choices in the draft and trades etc as opposed to any foundation. i don't follow kc they might be worse?

financially they'll be out of the woods after next year, so that's not too bad.
I can't even begin to imagine how bad the OOTP19 Tigers will be.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Airdrop, I dont believe Starling is ready (if he will ever be) for the starting lineup. There seems to be a lot of talk of the Royals being really interested in Cameron Maybin.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
Mecza
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP18: Marlins are probably the hardest team to work with out of the gate in a new MLB start. There is some decent talent to work with but the financials are in such a bad spot that it would take quite a few years to ramp up a rebuild and even then you might not be able to keep the best players around long term. Shout out to the White Sox for having absolutely awful position players outside of a couple guys.

OOTP19: Probably the Royals when the next iteration of the game comes out. Farm sucks. Lost all good players to free agency. Only consolation is there are a handful of compensation picks to use in the draft. Smaller market. Relatively easy division to compete once you catch up to the Indians.
Mecza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
Airdrop, I dont believe Starling is ready
Of course he's not. He's a gold glove winner quality fielder. But he is a bad 9 hitter at best. But watch...he'll be it.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

just look for the worst and longest contracts... that's teh biggest factor. a team that may have won >.500 this year could be the bleakest possible. when they start their decent, that's when it's the worst.

you joke about ootp19 tigers... imo, the 2018 tigers will be easier to turn around than the 2015/2016/2017 tiger teams (in ootp). they may lose alot, but with a 7-8ish market or whatever they are, you can quickly turn it around without the draft.

they are my hometown team, so they are always a re-build to me. i can always do better but seriously, i just handle contracts in a significantly differnet way, i can't stand any mlb team's financial situation.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #17
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Torn between Royals or Marlins...
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Considering that the Mariners have never made it to the world series it would be an accomplishment if you managed it. They have had some decent players from time to time although right now all the ones they have are going downhill faster and faster.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #19
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Royals or Marlins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. It took 7 posts before someone mentioned the Marlins.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:46 PM   #20
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
The Marlins no doubt. They can't afford the contracts of their four best players. They have no pitching what so ever beyond Edison Volquez. No major league talent in the farm and no real prospects above short season. They are up to the gills in debt, and operate in a market where a venal and feckless owner has spent the last seventeen years driving the team into the ground and alienating the tattered remains of a fanbase that was never that big to begin with. To call the Miami Marlins a dumpster fire would be an understatement. I's say it needs to be blown up and rebuilt but you can't even have a fire sale when the players you are selling you need to trade clean to get out from under their contracts. That means they have to rebuild through the draft. That means enduring years of the worst kind of losing. Like the Astros did. With no guarantee of success.
Agree with all of the above and doesn't help that they put that beautiful new stadium in downtown Miami, where no one from Broward or Palm Beach county wants to go.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote