Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Handling Injuries

How do you all handle injuries with the new injury system? I have a LF who has a sprained ankle that is day-to-day for 5 weeks. Influence of running is Moderate. Should I put him on 10-day DL? Or should I continue to play him, but maybe rest him 2-3 days at a time?
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Valuable/Important Player? Yes ---> What is pennant race situation? ----> IN = Play, OUT/EARLY = D/L

Valuable/Important Player? No = D/L
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
Phatman
Minors (Double A)

Same situation with me, Outfielder who is valuable to my team started with a blistered finger, then something with his hip, then that turned into a nagging injury day to day for 4 weeks then he had something else. Since it was early in the season I put him on 60 day DL. Let's get everything healed and come back better. Hope it helps.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I'm 19-4 in late April. I will probably put him on the DL, although since the injury, my RF has gone down. So I would be without by starting CF and RF.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

It all depends on the player. I'm playing with the Red Sox, for example. Mookie Betts got a two week DTD injury so I immediately put him on the DL. Can't afford to lose him. One of my backup OF got a four week DTD injury and I'm currently just letting him play through it. It just depends who and when you get an injury.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

It's a complete waste to DL a DtD, no matter who it is.

Unless it is a player with a history of injuries in the same bodypart area as the DtD, and his DtD injury is substantial. Other than that, I've seen players play through months long DtDs.
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
Lordofbrewtown
Minors (Triple A)

Interesting. One of my better starting pitchers was DtD for 40 days and put up 3 terrible starts in a row, so bit the bullet and put him on the DL, as it really affected performance
Lordofbrewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
PurpleHaze34
Bat Boy

I'm simming one day at a time and my day to day SP doesn't seem to start anymore. Anyone else run into this? It looks like my entire staff is exhausted working around his starts for the last 2 weeks and I didn't catch it right away.
PurpleHaze34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbrewtown View Post
Interesting. One of my better starting pitchers was DtD for 40 days and put up 3 terrible starts in a row, so bit the bullet and put him on the DL, as it really affected performance
As manager, when a player gets a DtD status, I do the following (all of which seem to me as just intuitive):

1. what is the severity?
2. what is his history with this specific injury?
3. what is his history with this type/area of injury?
4. if the above does not direct me to put him on the DL, then he does get put on a DtD watch, meaning his performance is closely monitored each outing.

Re #4 and your scenario with the SP - if I decided to leave him in the rotation I would have closely monitored his next GS. If he tanked, and I still decided to keep him off the DL, then he would likely pitch from the bullpen next time. If he kept tanking, then he would go the DL because at least I could then bring in someone else who might not tank.

I can randomly look at players on the injury list and see where they continued to play and perform at around season averages throughout DtD injuries.

One example is a player with Wrecked health status and a career-long list of injuries. His current DtD is listed as moderate and not in an area with which he experienced considerable injury in the past (eg no lengthy DtD, no DL). So he continues to play and his performance has not declined (meaning, it remains around his seasonal average).

And of course we need to consider how the game is actually coded around this issue. The manual (iirc) does state explicitly that past injury in a bodypart area may act as predictor to future issues re same. How or if this transfers to DtD performance may require more game data to answer.

Last edited by HonusWagner; 05-14-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

So here is an example similar to the OP. This is from an ai-managed team.

Since this DtD began, this SP has had 1 bad game - his most recent. Was this predictable? I think yes:

1. The current DtD injury seems quite moderate - elbow soreness. Not something I would rush to put on the DL. However, because he is a SP and it is his money arm, I would certainly monitor.

2. He has a considerable history of injury in that area, and in that specific bodypart. He even had surgery several seasons ago. For this reason I would have immediately put him on the DL with the current DtD when it first occurred.

Combine this history with his age I would not have kept him in the rotation with his current DtD, even though it was moderate. Another player, without the same history, I might have.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
msupoke
All Star Reserve

In my online league, George Springer has been hurt on and off all season. A couple of weeks ago, he suffered a day-to-day injury that would take two weeks to heal. I put him on the DL because I had other guys who coul hold the fort. Then, he had a setback. Now, he is day-to-day for an unknown amount of time. I wonder if he would have had the setback if he had not been on the DL.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

My best player was indefinite with a finger sprain and I was playing him until I got this email.

Liking this improved system a lot. Two weeks on the DL did the trick.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The new injury system adds another layer of realism and strategy.. might be my favorite 18 addition to the game.

I'm with Orcin on how I determine what to do. Molina just got a DtD injury on a groin injury.. but we are 1.5 games in front of the Cubs 95 games into the season, so I'm keeping him off the DL for now.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

If it's more than a 3 day to day - i toss him into the 10 day disabled list. Thinking is better to have him rested and healing than getting worse, which has seemed to be the case when i leave them on the active roster.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
cdidman
Minors (Single A)

It's baseball, which means every dtd injury you should put him on the DL right? lol

The 10 day DL makes it pretty easy to put a guy on the DL for some quick heal time.
cdidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I've kept the 15 day DL to add a little difficulty.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #17
drhay53
Major Leagues

I find that I don't tend to do much for DTD injuries unless it's a pretty long-term moderate influence thing, or unless they get that "unknown recovery" status where they really will not heal unless you rest them.

But, I just had a key player go DTD "unknown" coming out of spring training and I decided to DL him because I didn't want to end up with a season of poor play. He's back and playing well in July so I'm happy I went that route.

One other thing DTD injuries are nice for is getting 30 days to look at a young player when it's a veteran who's declined that gets hurt. Throw him on the 10 day then 20 days of rehab, free 30 days of evaluating a AAA guy. I have a couple of guys on their last year of contract who I would love to get off the team, and DTD injuries are amazing for getting them out of my lineup for a while.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 AM   #18
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

It hasn't changed much. If a offensive minded position player has a injury that substantially affects hitting or a pitcher with one that substantially affects throwing I'll DL them. Otherwise they are playing.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote