Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
bigwiggle55
Bat Boy

reinstall the game?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
codyg19
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
Just to clarify for those having issues with DEP, which I understand is not the case with some of you:

DEP is a useful security measure, and I wouldn't suggest disabling it entirely. If you're encountering is a DEP issue with elicense (often indicated by a successful install that simply won't start up), then you want to set OOTP -and- elicense as exceptions. You'll notice there's no program called elicense.exe on your PC, so here's what you do:
  • right-click on "Computer" and select "Properties"
  • Select "Advanced system settings"
  • The tab should already be on Advanced, but if not then select that.
  • Under "Performance", click on <Settings>
  • On the next screen, select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.
  • Choose "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select."
  • Down at the bottom, select <Add...>
  • Navigate to your OOTP folder and pick that .exe file
  • Back under your DEP tab, select <Add...> again
  • Navigate to your C: drive and your Windows folder. In there, you'll find a program called runservice.exe - that's the one for elicense, so pick that.
  • Click <Apply> and then <OK> down at the bottom, and restart your PC.
Following those instructions will stop DEP ever bothering your OOTP game ever again. I hope that helps a bit for someone out there.

The runservice.exe fixed it! Thanks a ton.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #23
gte842d
Minors (Single A)

weird, now runservice appeared when I uninstalled ootp... go figure
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
bigwiggle55
Bat Boy

thanks dan...

how do i select being the admin in vista again?

-JN
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #25
bigwiggle55
Bat Boy

So i re-installed, and now i get an error saying OOTP Baseball has stopped working...then application failed to initalize properly
Old 06-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #26
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, I've been away at a meeting.

right-click on the .exe file and you'll have the option from the picklist to "Run as admin"

Failing to initialize properly sounds like you may have a bad download (just a possibility). I'd delete it and download the program again from another mirror. Then run it as an admin (this is also assuming you're on an admin account to begin with). You shouldn't have to, but it may be worthwhile to run it in XP compatibility mode as well: right-click on the installation .exe and go to properties, from there go to your compatability tab - at the top there should be a drop-down menu and you can select XP sp2, and down at the bottom you can also select "run as admin." Then go ahead and give the installation another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Well ... To be fair, I am going to change the name to "DanSim Baseball"

- Shaun
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #27
stlcards
Bat Boy

I've tried reinstalling a few times and downloading the setup file from a different mirror, and I still can't find the runservice file after searching the c drive. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #28
voncarp
Bat Boy

Same Problems

Same problems as most in this thread. Won't start up.

Attempted the DEP solution but the runservice.exe file will not show up. Downloaded and reinstalled multiple times from different mirrors and still no runservice file.

Run as admin doesn't resolve anything either on installation or start up.

even tried the installing and running in xp compatible mode

Got an Hpdv6 Vista Premium. 2.4 Mhz 4RAM Service Pack 1. 64 bit.

please help
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #29
darkhorse9
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncarp View Post
Same problems as most in this thread. Won't start up.

Attempted the DEP solution but the runservice.exe file will not show up. Downloaded and reinstalled multiple times from different mirrors and still no runservice file.

Run as admin doesn't resolve anything either on installation or start up.

even tried the installing and running in xp compatible mode

Got an Hpdv6 Vista Premium. 2.4 Mhz 4RAM Service Pack 1. 64 bit.

please help
Me too!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

I should preface this by saying I'm not even remotely sure it will work, but its worth a shot:

try to add the argument " -unlicense" (with the space but without the quotes) to the operation line. To do that, find the game's link on your desktop, right-click, go to properties, and where it has the program's location just add that onto the end of it. When you try to run it again (as an admin, in XP compatability mode just to be sure) that should hopefully bring up the elicense console, thereby (theoretically) forcing runservice.exe in your Windows folder. If it appears, just cancel out of the console, as you just needed it to show up. Check your Windows folder to see if it's now there - it will take some looking, and it may not have been indexed yet so manually search. If that gets it to show up, go through the DEP process of selecting both OOTP.exe and runservice.exe as exceptions. After that, you'll have to restart (any DEP changes will force you to restart). If you've been able to do that, hopefully all will be well. If not ... ?

edit/PS - Once you get it running, don't forget to remove the " -unlicense" argument from the shortcut

Quote:

- Shaun

Last edited by Dan Theman; 06-05-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #31
stlcards
Bat Boy

The " -unlicense" trick made the runservice.exe appear for me. I added both exceptions to the DEP, reinstalled in XP compatiblity mode. I ran the program from the folder (not the shortcut) as admin, and it finally worked! Thanks for the help eveyone.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #32
Oriole66
Minors (Single A)

Smile Got it!

Yes. Found runservice.exe and that was the key. I'm now running and licensed.

Thanks a million!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7jglp/index.html
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #33
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Glad to help, guys. Enjoy the game!

Quote:

- Shaun
Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #34
bigwiggle55
Bat Boy

Dan,

I am somewhat slow with computers, and for whatever reason simply cannot get the game I have been dying to play running correctly. Would it be possible for you to call me and give me a 5 min walkthrough?

I would completely appreciate it, and I don't want to have to return this game before I even get a chance to play it!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #35
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

I'm likely not able to call, but I would be happy to put a walkthrough together for you within the next couple of days. Also, feel free to PM me if you need anything more.

Quote:

- Shaun
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #36
defo22
Minors (Single A)

Problem Installing

I have tried to install a number of times. Tried to save to desktop then run and tried to just run. Each time it gives me the same error. I am running vista and disabled everything. Below is the error:

C:\users\ToddDeFelice\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wind ows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\1GWAPNNX\oo tp10Setup[1].exe

The Pipe State is Invalid
Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #37
bigwiggle55
Bat Boy

Thanks Dan, much appreciated! I was pretty dissapointed I haven't been able to play the game since it came out !
Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #38
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by defo22 View Post
I have tried to install a number of times. Tried to save to desktop then run and tried to just run. Each time it gives me the same error. I am running vista and disabled everything. Below is the error:

C:\users\ToddDeFelice\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wind ows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\1GWAPNNX\oo tp10Setup[1].exe

The Pipe State is Invalid
I'll have a guide up here pretty soon that I would suggest giving a try with before you take that step (I'd imagine I'll have it finished tonight). My guess is that's an error with the eLicense installer, but if the guide doesn't work then you *may* need to use System Restore as it could be indicating a bad driver/improperly installed program.

If that doesn't do it for you, I'd go with the following:

Open internet explorer and delete temporary files, then attempt to download it again - do NOT hit "run," rather save it to some location and follow the guidelines laid out in my pending Vista/OOTP troubleshooting walkthrough. If that still doesn't do it, run System Restore - look back to whenever you last installed a driver and restore to before that point. If (and only if) you don't have System Restore available but you do have a Vista disc with which you can do a repair install, take that route. The problem is that I believe you'll need to uninstall SP2 if your disc only came with SP1, and if it came with only the original OS then I believe you'll need to additionally uninstall SP1 before you run the repair - after which you would want to bring it back up to SP2 before trying to install, which will take significant time).

Keep in mind, while doing this you would at the very least be disabling the driver you last installed, so you'll want to look for a new one. I suggest downloading directly from the company that makes that device, as they'll have the most up to date version (oh, and avoid beta drivers).

Anyway, hang in there everyone - I'll hopefully have it done later this evening.

Quote:

- Shaun
Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #39
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

What's up with OOTP, Vista, and my PC?!?

PREFACE (as in READ ME!!!):

If you have OOTP up and running on Vista, disregard the entire post unless you're a fan of my writing, in which case that's a little weird, but go right ahead. There's a lot to read, but the steps are actually pretty fast.

Introduction:

OOTP X, the tenth iteration of a glorious franchise that most of us have come to know and love. It's an annual wonder of the PC gaming world that's not to be missed.

Windows Vista, formally released in early 2007, provides a wonderful enhancement to computing. Fewer "blue screens of death," more security, and quite a few under-the-hood improvements. With all that it does and the need for a little streamlining, games may occasionally run a handful of frames per second slower and you may also run into a few compatibility issues. I've had more than my fair share, and perhaps a few of which were brought on by my own foolishness (don't ask). Those experiences have taught me a few hard lessons about how to get things working properly.

Thus, we have my attempt at making the Official Unofficial "What's up with OOTP, Vista, and my PC?!?" post. This step-by-step guide will hopefully walk people along the path to avoiding most issues they may run into.

I speak to you not as an employee of Microsoft, OOTP, nor your favorite source of caffeine (reported to be used extensively for those late-night gaming sessions). I'm just someone who loves the game and wants everyone to be able to share in it. Because of that, there will likely be some people who have serious system issues that will have needs which extend well beyond the scope of this guide. That's what M$/Dell/HP/whomever's tech support is there for. I've used them before, and they are (or at the very least try to be) a helpful bunch.

I should also mention that a significant number people have issues with something called User Access Control (or "UAC" for short). It's just a part of Vista that will prompt you to make sure you want to do what you just told it to do, and more importantly to make sure you aren't some virus trying to turn your computer into a zombie. If you have this enabled (it is by default), you will occasionally be prompted to click a confirmation window that comes up. Assuming you feel comfortable doing so, go ahead and click continue on any of those that pop up while following these procedures. UAC will not cause errors with OOTP, so you don't need to disable it.

For those of you who may have already tried to install OOTP and ran into some sort of error, I suggest uninstalling if you already ran the installation procedure but you didn't get to the point of licensing your game. If you did install and license it but now it's still not running, unlicense the installation first and then uninstall. After that, start all over from scratch with the rest of us - you seem like a good guy, and we can use the company. If you still get some unusual error after the entire process, I suggest uninstalling the game, deleting the installation program, and downloading it again (bad downloads can occur regardless of your method of download, although they are fairly rare).

And it begins ...

Step 1: Anyone who has ever read through something like this probably knows what I'm going to say. The difference here will be that I'll explain the reason besides just getting pleasure out of being a pain in the neck. First, make sure you've logged onto your admin account (usually the first profile that's set up on your PC) and UPDATE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM AND DRIVERS. Yes, that includes everything.

Why? Well, think of a driver as a set of internal instructions that teach your operating system how to use your piece of hardware. At any point in time your could have a sound card/chip made from any one of at least 20 companies, a motherboard made from any one of at least 50 companies, a graphics card made from any one of at least 10 companies, a hard drive from any one of at least 10 different manufacturers with one of three different file structures, and a printer made from any one of at least 30 companies. Then you need to take into account all the different models of each involved to fully grasp the number of different combinations of "instructions" that can exist on any one PC. While all of these companies make drivers to enable their products to "play well with the other kids," they don't always get it right the first time out of the box or there may be some new kid on the block that comes later on.

You may not have noticed any problems in the past up until playing OOTP or some other game just because the area of conflict didn't arise in some noticeable way, so don't assume that everything has been working properly because your latest version of Fluffy the Carrot Killer (tm) seems to run perfectly fine. While it's in Markus' best interest to program the game in a way to make it as streamlined as can, we're responsible for making that possible by having everything up to date.

Q1 - I heard that if I update my operating system with Microsoft, they'll install some evil Digital Rights Management software ("DRM") to spy on what I'm doing.
A - Well, DRM in Windows has been around for a VERY long time, but only recently has it become so visible to the public. Yes, you need to have a legitimate copy of Windows to get all the updates. If you choose not to, don't be shocked if things don't always work as expected.

Q2 - I'm worried about service packs. Don't they have the potential to mess up a lot of stuff?
A - Sure, but so does that magnetic screwdriver you used to put your hard drive in (didn't I ask you to NOT bring that up?). Your OS updates will include many compatibility fixes that may not seem like they're of any use, but they can be absolutely vital. Look, Microsoft wants their product to work as well as possible. If it doesn't, more people will switch to the alternative (cf - actor Justin Long acting like a know-it-all). Those service packs are important - get them in there. At the time of this writing, Vista should be updated to SP2.

Step 2: Downloading and installing the game. Pick a mirror, any mirror. Then download to a nice, safe folder somewhere on your PC that you'll remember. Don't just hit run after you finish - you'll still have a little work to do. As an aside, don't bother with a download manager unless you need it and try to avoid pausing the download - those just slightly increase your chances of download errors. Besides, if you really don't have the patience then you can let it go over dinner or while a favorite show is on TV.

Step 2.5: Now we get to learn about DEP. What's DEP? Glad you asked. The acronym stands for Data Execution Prevention, and the title is pretty self-explanatory: it stops programs from running in ways that Vista thinks might be a little shady in order to make sure that your PC doesn't come under attack and also to make sure it remains stable.

Sounds great, so it would seem natural to ask why anyone would ever want this to not be running all the time. Well, just as there are so many different hardware manufacturers out there, you'll find even more software developers (including the ones we care about, like OOTP Developments) who want to make your system do everything it's capable of. Vista doesn't know any of these fine individuals regardless of what their certificates say, but it knows and wants to protect you.

Interestingly, DEP gives a pass or a fail to an entire process, and therefore if one part of it seems a little shady then it won't let any part of it run. So, let's say you have an awesome baseball management simulator paired with a software licensing program - if the licensing program works a little differently than Vista expects then DEP won't even let the game start up, as some peolpe have already experienced. Sometimes that protection is warranted, while other times we want to be able to cross the proverbial street on our own. This is one of the latter variety.

Throughout the process of installation, I'm going to be bringing you back to the following instructions, so bear them in mind.

--important note-- : DEP settings can be changed by using various methods, and the following is just one of them.
  • From your desktop -or- from the Start Menu (the thing that comes up when you click the button in the bottom-left of the screen), right-click on Computer.
  • From there, a nice little menu appears with several interesting-sounding choices. I know that "Create Shortcut" sounds really fun, but stay focused, man! Click on "Properties" instead.
  • Congratulations! You're about to boldly go where much of America has never gone before. But we few, we lucky few. We band of OOTP gamers .... oh, you get the idea. You're looking at some of the nuts and bolts of how Vista operates - something we want to tinker with just a wee little bit.
  • Do you see where it says "Advanced Settings" on the little window that came up? Yep, we're about to get advanced. Click there.
  • Next, you'll see a new window with a handful of tabs at the top. Surprising as it may be, you should already be on the one that says "Advanced." You will notice a few sections exist under this tab, but the only one you need to worry about is called "Performance" - go ahead and click the <Settings> button that you see there.
  • That brings you to yet another little window with tabs. I personally find it funny that you have to jump through a few hoops to get to the "Performance" tab, but I'll leave that little joke alone for now. Okay, you should have three tabs up at the top. One of them will say Data Execution Prevention. Click that.
  • From there, you'll see a few buttons with one of them shaded in (selected). Depending on whether you have 64-bit or 32-bit Vista, you'll have a few different options (try not to wonder why). The good news is it doesn't matter which version you run, as both versions will have "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select." While it may be tempting to pick "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Vista programs and services only" or to turn it off completely, that's not in your best interest and can actually lead to a couple of unexpected errors. Don't be that guy. Besides, OOTP really is essential, isn't it? Yeah, I thought so, too. ;-)
  • Once you've picked how we'll be using DEP, we need to tell Vista what to leave alone. First, we'll tell it to allow the installation program to process to its heart's content. Over on the right hand side of this window, you'll see a browse button. It will default to searching for executable (.exe) files, and you want to go find where you placed the installation program - which oddly enough happens to be an .exe file. Once you get there, choose it and you should see it show up in the box. Hit apply, and you'll get a message to restart in order to apply the changes. Don't forget where you put the installation program and restart, now.
Step 3: Now that you've downloaded the installation program and told Vista's DEP to let it be, we want to make sure it's authorized to do whatever it needs to. You thought you just did that, didn't you? Well, sort of. Let's use a somewhat familiar baseball metaphor: by allowing it to avoid DEP, you've effectively sneaked your way into the stadium to watch the game for free. However, now you need to sneak past the ushers to take a seat. To be able to pull this one off, my favorite trick was to tag along with an older couple and pretend to be their kid (without them noticing, of course).

Go open the folder where you downloaded the installation file, and right-click on it. Remember hitting "Properties" before? Well, let's do it again and see what comes up this time. You should have a small window with a bunch of tabs at the top - one of them will say "Compatibility." Pick that - from there, pick "Run this program as an Administrator" down at the bottom. That step will help you with those grumpy ushers by making you look like you belong there, walking with confidence. From the same screen, also select "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows XP (service pack 2), which will make you look like a member of that family that already had tickets, just in case your swagger isn't enough to carry off the ruse.

Click "Apply" and then "OK." That should close the small Properties window for you.

Step 4: Go ahead and double-click the icon in order to start the installation. Follow the prompts as they appear, and at the end you should hopefully have a new, slick looking shortcut on your desktop for OOTP X. Think you're done? Well, not quite. Hang in there just a bit longer!

Step 5: We're going to want to do a few more things, but it's nothing you haven't done before. To extend the original metaphor, now that you've got a seat you want to sneak a couple more of your friends in to watch the game with you. First, go to "Computer" and double-click on it to open up the view of your disc and hard drives. Open up your C: drive, and navigate to the Windows folder. We're about to look for that slacker friend who's often late but that everyone really gets along with. Organize everything alphabetically to save the hassle, and look for your buddy - his name is runservice and he's a program, not a folder. Has he shown up, yet? If so, skip the next step and go directly to step 7. If not, how about we give him a call from your cell phone and see where he's at? (continue to 6)

Step 6: Ahh, our good buddy, runservice. This is the guy who would walk through fire for a friend ... after he wakes up from his nap, which is probably what he's doing right now - we need to wake him up. Remember that cool shortcut to OOTP X that was just made on your desktop? Good. Now right-click on the icon and go to "Properties." You'll see a new little window pop up that's particular to shortcuts with a few tabs at the top.

One of the tabs actually says "Shortcut" - rather redundant, isn't it? Well, go there.

You'll see several boxes, some of which will be empty (that's okay). The target of your search is actually called "Target" (convenient, isn't it?). That will show the path to the actual start-up program for OOTP (wherever you installed it).
At the end of that line (you'll likely need to click and move the cursor to the end of the line in order for it to show up), you want to add the following AFTER a space: -unlicense.

In other words, it should look something like this - "C:\blahblahblah\blah.exe -unlicense" without the quotes
(replace C:\ and "blah" with wherever you actually have it saved, assuming it's somewhat different ;-)).

Go ahead and click "Apply" in order for that to stick. While you're there, go to the compatibility tab up at the top and select "Run this program as an Administrator" and select Windows XP (service pack 2) compatibility mode while you're at it.

Click on "Apply" and "OK" after doing that, and you'll be right back to staring at that cool icon for OOTP. Double click it, and this should start up the eLicense console (and wake up your friend). Go ahead and cancel out of that - you woke up your friend, but he can be pretty grumpy when he gets out of bed so no need for a conversation. Besides, he knows where to go.

Right-click on the icon and go to Properties again, then take out the " - unlicense" part that you added. Now let's go wait for your friend by the gate. Click "Apply" and "OK" to get back to your desktop view.

Step 7: Do you remember the process by which you were able to sneak into the game back in step 2? Good. It's time to help out your friend. As it turns out, you've got one more buddy coming along but you should be able to get them both in at the same time.

Go ahead and open up the DEP controls once again (Computer--> Properties --> Advanced Settings --> Performance --> click <Settings>). Down at the bottom, go to <Add> and find your way over over to C:\Windows.

Once you get there, you'll need to scroll down until you find a program called runservice (your slacker buddy). Add him in order to sneak your first friend in the ballpark. Now, hit <Add> again and maneuver your way over to wherever you installed OOTP. Find the OOTP .exe file (I *believe* it's called "OOTPX," but I don't have the game installed on the PC I'm writing from so I may be slightly off) and add that to the DEP exception list, and now you've got BOTH of your buddies in the stadium. We just need to sneak back up to the seats you've found and you'll be home free.

After you save those two as exceptions, you'll need to restart for them to apply. Go ahead and do that now. Don't worry, I'll wait for you.

Step 8: Remember where you let those two guys in from? One was at C:\Windows while the other was in your installation directory, right? Okay, go over to "Computer" and double click. Now, enter into your C: drive by double-clicking on it and go to the Windows directory.

From there, locate your buddy runservice and right-click on him to get to the Properties menu. Now, make him look like he belongs there ("Run this program as an administrator") and don't forget to tell him to try and blend in by looking like he's a part of some other family with tickets (compatibility mode for Windows XP/service pack 2).

Hit "Apply" and "OK" before you do anything else. Now go over to where your other friend is waiting (the installation directory of OOTP) and do the same for him. Think you're all done? ALMOST!!

Step 9: After you start back up, there are two vitally important steps remaining - a) start up OOTPX, and b) click on "license" to add the license number that you purchased. From there, you're all set. Oh, and one more thing ...

Step 10: Enjoy

Quote:

- Shaun

Last edited by Dan Theman; 06-13-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #40
chisoxlegnd35
Bat Boy

hey dan i'm stuck on step 6, everytime i enter "C:\Program Files (x86)\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 10\ootp10.exe -unlicense" and hit apply an error message pops up and says the path is invalid. I've checked to make sure the path is right. I'm a newbie to vista and i'm stuck, any chance you can help me?
Closed Thread