Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
as5680
All Star Starter

Restoring Deleted Player

I have no idea how it happened, but I managed to delete a retired player from my league shortly after inducting him into the Hall of Fame. Possibly coincidentally, his picture had been reset shortly beforehand and I don't remember either doing that or deleting him - however, I have no evidence that it was caused by a bug of any kind so I have to assume that it was something I did.

Anyway, before I had realised, his ID had been taken by a new player at an international complex. Unfortunately, I also took a backup of my game before realising. This left me with a 16 year old starting pitcher as a multiple all-star and hitter of the year! I have changed him back to the former player as best I can, using an old picture from a previous saved version of the game, ratings at the time he retired etc taken from archived .csv files and history taken from old almanacs.

The problem I have is what to do about his stats - I considered just exporting stats, adding his information from the .csv files and importing again, but having researched that it seems that his postseason stats, and those of other players, might be lost if I did that (from this thread, admittedly relating to OOTP 13 so it may not apply in 14).

Are there any other options to get this player's stats (and awards/leaderboard appearances ideally) back without losing any other data? Could it possibly be done by setting him up as a historical player and putting him back into the game that way? At the moment, although his profile says he is in the Hall of Fame, he doesn't show up there - presumably because he has no stats at any level.
as5680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
If you backed up your game just restore to an earlier date before he was deleted
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
If you backed up your game just restore to an earlier date before he was deleted
Unfortunately, I backed up between this happening and my realising, and the only back-up I have is that one from after it happened.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Export the stats to .csv files, give the 16-year-old a new player ID number, something not being used, and then restore the deleted using his real player ID number into the .csv file.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Export the stats to .csv files, give the 16-year-old a new player ID number, something not being used, and then restore the deleted using his real player ID number into the .csv file.
Having tried this method, I see that the concerns raised in the thread linked above still apply. Doing this seems to have erased the postseason stats for every player.

If there is no better option I will go with this but it would be great to be able to keep all the postseason stats too. It doesn't seem that there is any way to get the player's leaderboard appearances etc. in history back but that isn't a big problem, it's the stats I'm really concerned about.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by as5680 View Post
Having tried this method, I see that the concerns raised in the thread linked above still apply. Doing this seems to have erased the postseason stats for every player.

If there is no better option I will go with this but it would be great to be able to keep all the postseason stats too. It doesn't seem that there is any way to get the player's leaderboard appearances etc. in history back but that isn't a big problem, it's the stats I'm really concerned about.
Make a copy of your saved game and try it in the copy. I'm not sure it will erase the postseason stats, I don't think it actually will. But if you try it on a backup save first, then you'll know one way or another.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Make a copy of your saved game and try it in the copy. I'm not sure it will erase the postseason stats, I don't think it actually will. But if you try it on a backup save first, then you'll know one way or another.
I have tried it and unfortunately it does erase everyone's postseason stats. Presumably because they are not included in the export file so when I import again, they are overwritten by the imported file.

As the lost player holds some league records, it is far more important to me to get him back into the game than to have everyone's postseason stats. If there is no way to import this one player alone, I will probably put up with losing the postseason stats!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
sprague
All Star Starter

am not sure how easy this is
but how about edit one player in the historical db?
change the lines of stats to that of your player
no need to change is name or anything else

import that player via his id
change the player's name
edit ratings, field positions, personality, injury stats
ect
then you have the old game. you have the player back

the trick is saving the stats into the historical db file, and have them come up when you import. i tried just this once, and it was not as easy as it sounds

but this is my suggestion
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post

change the player's name
ect

the trick is saving the stats into the historical db file, and have them come up when you import. i tried just this once, and it was not as easy as it sounds

This sounds like an excellent suggestion! I'd be interested to hear whether it worked or not.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:

change the player's name
ect

I'd be prepared to give this a go but at the moment I can't open the historical database - at least not in a way that I can edit it! Any time I try to to open one of the database files it opens in OpenOffice Writer instead of Base. Will keep trying though!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by as5680 View Post
I'd be prepared to give this a go but at the moment I can't open the historical database - at least not in a way that I can edit it! Any time I try to to open one of the database files it opens in OpenOffice Writer instead of Base. Will keep trying though!
actualy you dont edit the db file, but the batting, pitching spreadsheets

i use spreadsheet of either microsoft word or open office

i can edit the file. the changed stats stay in, but when i import the player the original stats are still there
i think spritze said i had to delete the database file itself after making the changes but it never seemed to work right.

use a backup of the whole hist db before starting in case something botches up

i will give it another try myself before bed and see if something changes
Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:
actualy you dont edit the db file, but the batting, pitching spreadsheets
Ah that makes sense, I will back up all the files and give that a go later. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
sprague
All Star Starter

i just tried it and didnt work
the old stats came with babe ruth even though i changed them

maybe all 3 db files have to be deleted.

if it doesn't work for you, drop this question into the database section of the mods area. someone there will tell you how to do it. i know it can be donem just missing a step somewhere

if you get it to work ,drop us all a note what you did
Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
as5680
All Star Starter

Never managed to get anywhere with the database on this. The best option turned out to be creating a backup of the batting and pitching stats files, deleting everything from them not relating to the player in question (everything from the pitching file, as he wasn't a pitcher) and then re-import stats. As there are no postseason stats kept for fielding, there was no need to do anything to the fielding stats file as nothing was being lost on import.

As far as I can tell, that has recreated his batting stats for the regular season, whilst leaving the stats of every other player alone for both regular and postseason. The only thing I am missing having done that is the postseason batting stats of the player who got deleted. There is no perfect solution (not one that I can sort out anyway) so I will have to go with this. It is much better than wiping out everyone's postseason stats.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

change the player's name
ect

Does a fictional league have a historical DB? I have a similar problem to the OP but it is with about 100 players.
Edit: I was not thinking, my players are not deleted. They are missing stats from the first 15-20 years of the league.

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 12-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote