Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #421
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (6/28 – 6/30)

Brooklyn Citizens (43-31, .581, 1st NL East) @ Los Angeles Kings (44-31, .587, 2nd NL West)
The flight home was less eventful than our trip into town, the team was tired and the realities of being without Otto for the remainder of the year has officially sunk in. For my part, I spent most of our day off in LA in a conference with Megan and Zahur going over trade possibilities but wasn’t really sold on any of their ideas. The reality as I see it is that we are still a really good baseball team without him, even if we’ll need to be on our very best behavior to achieve anything of note in 2078. All is not lost - we’ll need to adjust our strategy, use our speed a bit more, and tighten up our defense to make the playoffs - and we’ll need our staff to shore up its loose ends. And, in my mind, we have the personnel to do it. This next set against Brooklyn has taken on some additional importance for us - the Citizen are a top-flight club that boasts a great lineup (3rd NL) and staff (4th NL) but could use an upgrade or two in the bullpen to shore up what has been their only weakness. They also carry 4 former Los Angeles players on their roster in 1B Ruben Zarate (.249/6/37), LF Tony Voorhis (.313/10/57), SS Nehemiah Jenkins (.306/6/33), and SP Merl Crawford (10-6, 2.86) – two of whom we’d love to have back in Voorhis and Crawford. But, alas, what’s done is done as they say – so, we’ll head into this one with our eye on the prize, forward-facing, and avoid the pitfalls of dwelling on the mistakes of our past.

Side note: The team announced that we’ve signed C Dominic Cooke to a 2-year extension worth a total of $27.5M – this is Megan’s first real piece of work for the club as our GM (signing her beau, Kirk, doesn’t count).

76 of 162: Trevor Dotson (5-4, 4.71) @ Anthony Boswell (4-7, 4.97)
Win, 7-5
. We’d need a late rally to overcome the Citizens in this one and OH HONG delivered it on a silver platter when he hit a 2-run double in the top of the 8th to put us up for good. Barbaccia picked up his 25th save, Julian Goodwin hit a double and registered 3 RBIs, and Zody stole his 12th bag of the season. It was a bit odd wearing our road kit at home – but that was the requirement for this makeup road game with Brooklyn…

77 of 162: Taylor Todd (2-1, 3.92) @ Newton Weiser (9-5, 3.55)
Win, 106
. So, today went swimmingly – OH HONG took player of the game honors for the second game in a row and went 3 for 4 with 3 RBIs in this one, Dom drove three in, and Zody brought in two more. The Citizens got to Newton a little bit, but our young hurler was able to navigate some difficulties in 6.2 innings of work to earn the win and Barbaccia, in his second appearance of the night, completed his 26th save of the season. Mullens stole his 24th bag, and OH HONG, really feeling himself in this one, stole his 1st bag of the season.

Side note: 3B Dontrell Gay will be listed DtD for the next 4 days with groin tightness and SP Kordell Littles was called up to the big club and will join our bullpen while RP Toni Cartwright tries to work out some kinks in Compton. Also, our Manager, Ryan Rudnick, has, temporarily moved Brisky to the bullpen and is moving Jonny Garcia to the starting rotation for the time being.

78 of 162: Miguel Machado (6-4, 5.13) @ Jonny Garcia (2-4, 2.53)
Loss, 3-1
. Jonny was serviceable and only gave up 3 runs over 7 innings of work – he acquits himself nicely here in his first start of the 2078 season – but, Miguel Machado was nearly unhittable over 8 innings and struck out 8 on his way to earning the victory for Brooklyn. OH HONG struck out 3 times, Rajkumar hit our only EBH, a double, and Ethan’s SAC FLY may have been the only real offensive play that qualified as a highlight. Tough day at the plate for the Kings of LA.

Elsewhere: The CITY OF COMPTON’s Rad Taylor went 8 strong innings against the Nashville Picks and earned his 6th International League win of 2078. Rad has been impressive over his last 4 starts since returning to Compton from the big club. He’s slowly developing into a guy that will, one day, stick on the big club in, if nothing else, a middle-relief role.

79 of 162: Merl Crawford (10-6, 2.85) @ Aiden Jensen (7-5, 3.97)
Loss, 3-2
. Jensen gave up only two runs, but Merl gave up only one… and that is, really, all she wrote in this one. Leandro Mercedes is the man of the match for Brooklyn as it was his solo HR that put the Citizens up for good. Mullens drove both of our runs in, Jensen committed two errors, and the OF assist that Ethan completed – he caught Roan Munoz trying to make it home on a SAC FLY – comprised the entirety of our highlights. I’d also like to note that all of the former Kings currently on the Brooklyn roster, outside of Merl, had little to no impact during this 4-game series.

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #422
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauwoo View Post
OH HONG, really feeling himself in this one, stole his 1st bag of the season.
Happy to see my man Oh Hong have a good game, but this phrase is always one that gives me pause. I mean, I'm not one to judge and to each their own, but isn't this (the feeling of oneself, not the stealing of bags) something best done in the privacy of one's own home?

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #423
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Happy to see my man Oh Hong have a good game, but this phrase is always one that gives me pause. I mean, I'm not one to judge and to each their own, but isn't this (the feeling of oneself, not the stealing of bags) something best done in the privacy of one's own home?
You have a point there - but I assure you that, when in uniform, OH HONG keeps it family friendly.

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-08-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #424
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/1 – 7/3)

San Diego Chargers (27-54, .333, 6th NL West) @ Los Angeles Kings (47-33, .588, 2nd NL West)
More silliness against the worst team in the league – which is nice & timely. Nothing has changed since our last meeting… we’re still pretty good and they are not very good at all. And this time they’ll be coming to play over at our house – so, I won’t have to worry about Brisky getting some of our young and impressionable players into any unsavory shenanigans in paradise. This series really feels like a win-win right now…

80 of 162: George Giess (2-7, 6.05) @ Paul Yeager (9-4, 3.67)
Win, 8-1
. Yeager picked up his 10th win, Dick McTaggart hit his 12th homer, and Ethan stole 3 bags bringing his 2078 total up to 27. San Diego’s starter, George Geiss, left early with an undisclosed injury, and we wasted no time in lighting up their anemic bullpen. McTaggart is the man of the match – he brought four home, including his 3-run homer, and is quietly putting together a really solid campaign - .372/12/53 and trending to come in at 6.1 WAR.

Elsewhere: 1B Tom Franzone went 2 for 5 with a HR, 4 RBI, 4 Runs, and 2 free passes for Pittsburgh in their 12-9 win over the Montreal Wanderers. He’s having a breakout year, and, so far, is the odds-on favorite to win the NL Boyce Rigg award for his efforts. During the same contest, 1B DJ Wilders, of the Montreal Wanderers, went 4 for 5 with a double, a triple, 2 HRs, and 6 RBIs in the losing effort. That performance comes in at #6 on the 2078 Game Performance rankings in 2078 with a game score of 99. SP Orlando Vasquez, of your CITY OF COMPTON RAIDERS, delivered another stellar start against the Mexico City Diablos – he went 8 innings, K’d 4 batters, and picked up his 5th win of the season.

81 of 162: Brody John (5-5, 3.93) @ Newton Weiser (10-5, 3.66)
Win, 3-2
. Newton was solid – again – and gave us 7.1 innings of good work with only 1 earned and 3 K’s, Barbaccia gets save number 27, Brisky made his bullpen debut and pitched to two batters (striking out one of them) to earn the first hold of his illustrious career, and your boy OH HONG went 2 for 4 with 2 ribbies… McTaggart went hitless.

Elsewhere: Because I haven’t looked in on him for a while, I just want to point out that PEPPER is currently batting .251 with 5 jacks and 38 RBIs for the Portland Timbers. No news on the status of his nightclub endeavor – but, the last I heard they lost their liquor license for serving minors… maybe I’ll have the esteemed Ms. Finkelstein investigate that if we ever successfully find her in Tokyo. C Maison Cho, of the Salt Lake Alpines, went 3 for 3 with 2 jacks, 6 RBIs, and 2 runs in their 7-3 win over the Orlando Solar Bears… Cho was drafted out of Duke by the Houston Dynamo in 2074 at 155th overall – he’s, thus far, only played in 1 MLB game for Houston and went 1 for 4 with a 3-run homer and 2 K’s in his big league debut. He, strangely, hasn’t been back since and instead spends his days languishing in Salt Lake City where the beer is weak and the women are prudish.

82 of 162: Brian Candelario (1-0, 2.45) @ Trevor Dotson (5-4, 4.87)
Win, 7-0
. Trevor Dotson was phenomenal in a complete-game, 6-hit, shutout, Zody hit a 3-run ding dong, and Rajkumar hit a SAC FLY. 1 error (Zody), 1 double-play (Goodwin-McTaggart-Hong), and 1 OF assist (Rajkumar caught a goofball trying to make it home on a shallow pop up). And this completes what may go down as the timeliest sweep in the history of our squad. We’ve performed pretty admirably in Otto’s absence so far which gives me a great deal of pride in the club we’ve assembled. Dig it.

Elsewhere: Our CITY OF COMPTON club absolutely thrashed the Mexico City Diablos at home today – it was a 10-0 drubbing that included a CG, 3-hit, shutout from SP Ramsay Hudson, a 2 for 4, 3-run dinger day from RF Aris Anaconda, and a 3 for 5 day with a double, a ding dong, and 3 runs from 1B Zach Lavoie. I’m a huge Anaconda supporter, but, unfortunately, I fear that his ceiling will prohibit him from ever challenging for a spot on the big club… makes me kind of sad.

Note: With the sweep, we’ve moved back into a 2-way tie with the Phoenix Suns in the NL West and will face off with the Minnesota North Stars at home next – they have dropped 3 straight tilts but are still sitting in 3rd and at 9 1/2 games off of our pace. One thing that I have, thus far, failed to mention is that the best team in the Majors right now is the Golden State Warriors, who, at 52-31 are leading the AL West by 5 ˝ games and have the best record in all of baseball. Their pitching staff – from top to bottom – is truly a thing of beauty. They’ve done some amazing work in that department to be sure… and, since I stole Megan back from the San Marcos Supremos they’ve plunged in the Bush League standings and are currently riding a 4-game losing streak and sitting in 4th in Justice Division…

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-08-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #425
stevem810
All Star Starter

Quote:
Subconsciously intentional - I was on a bit of Costello bender a few weeks back that devolved into repeated listens of “the Queen is Dead” by the Smiths and ended with a spin of Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros’ “Streetcore” long-player... when I write these things I’m usually just in stream-of-consciousness mode - not surprised that this one came out. Nice catch!
Will be attending his upcoming concert in Ann Arbor (again).
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #426
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem810 View Post
Will be attending his upcoming concert in Ann Arbor (again).
Nice! If you live in that area, I hope you’re staying warm! Just got back from Maine myself... let’s just say, I’m happy to be in Texas where it’s going to get all the way up to 55.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #427
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/4 – 7/6)

Minnesota North Stars (39-42, .481, 3rd NL West) @ Los Angeles Kings (49-33, .598, t-1st NL West)
I’d like to be able to say that Minnesota finding themselves in 3rd place in the NL West with over half of the season complete is a sign that they, finally, are headed in the right direction – on a path toward perennial contention – but, I can’t. Because they, most assuredly, are not on that path or any other path near that one… not even close. What they are then is a sub-.500 squad that houses the very worst pitching staff in baseball with an offense that is decidedly “middle-of-the-road”. 5th in runs scored, OBP, OPS, bWAR, wOBA, and home runs… just on the better side of average. And, yes, I’ve covered it before – they do have a pretty good farm system – but, with the doldrums they’ve been mired in since 2074 (the year they were stolen from OKC), time is running out on developing any semblance of loyalty in their new market. Sure, their all-star 3rd baseman, Aldo Fernandez, sells jersey’s, and DH Yoshimasa Sugawara is that rare former bush-leaguer done good story – it’s just that the rest of their club is bad. Really, really bad. So, this series will offer us a rare opportunity to complete two consecutive sweeps and while that is an opportunity that we will most likely squander, it’s good to be in a position to make that happen considering the loss of Otto for the season and Brisky’s unceremonious (and perhaps permanent) demotion to the bullpen. All is not exactly right in the Kingdom – but, this is as good an opportunity as any to engage in some make-believe.

83 of 162: Taylor Pushkin (6-2, 5.16) @ Jonny Garcia (2-5, 2.86)
Win, 12-6
. And the good times keep on rolling… Garcia got beat up a little bit but managed to pick himself up off of the canvas to secure the win – a good news story for sure. But the real headline here is our offense… Dontrell hit 2 jacks and recorded 3 RBIs, Ethan went 3 for 4 with 2 runs scored, and OH HONG hit a 2-run ding dong like a guy who’s been here before. Doubles for Rajkumar and Dom, a swiped bag for Zody, and a SAC FLY for Rajkumar… we had a little bit of everything in this one for the discerning baseball fan.

Elsewhere: The Franzone Revolution is currently being televised in the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area – your leading candidate for the 2078 NL MVP stated his case yet again with a phenomenal 4 for 4 performance that included 2 jacks and 4 runs… Pittsburgh beat the Philadelphia 76ers by a score of 8-6 largely due to his efforts… 1B Archie Imanov, of the Seattle Sounders, went 4 for 10 with a double, THREE JACKS, 4 RBIs, and 4 Runs in Seattle’s 8-3 win over the Portland Timbers – the Sounders charged 20 hits to Portland’s account in this one folks…

84 of 162: Octavio Cervera (3-8, 5.95) @ Aiden Jensen (7-6, 3.88)
Win, 9-1
. Another day, another dismantling – Aiden is clutch here, goes the distance and only allowed one run to plate while our offense manages to score 9 runs on 8 hits without a single HR. We also were at our most patient in drawing 10 walks in this one. Weird game – but, we’ll take a win any way we can get it no matter how funky… and this one was as funky as Eddie Hazel on Maggot Brain.

Elsewhere: Megan’s boyfriend, RF Kirk Johnson, continued to make good for your CITY OF COMPTON RAIDERS in a 2 for 3 performance that included a double, a homer, 3 RBIs and 2 runs and Rad Taylor delivered in a complete game, 2-run performance from the bump… Could it be that he is finally starting to turn the corner? No? Yeah, you’re right – fool me once… Oh, and speaking of Megan – she has made her first trade as the acting GM of my Los Angeles Kings. She, um, picked up a 38-year old 1B, Nolan Steffan, who is currently hitting .342 with 12 jacks, and gave up C Dylan Tucker and LHP Luke Hazelwood. Our fans are excited… I’m not so sure. Don’t worry – Nolan will be installed as our DH and OH HONG will continue to man the first of the three bags…

85 of 162: Matt Olston (7-7, 6.70) @ Paul Yeager (10-4, 3.67)
Loss, 8-4
. There will be no sweep as Minnesota drank our milkshake in this one… Yeager gave up 5, Zody committed an error, new guy Nolan Steffan made a poor first impression with a 0 for 4 day with 2 K’s and 3 LOB… not our best effort.

Notes: Well, we didn’t get the sweep – which was to be expected – but we did manage to maintain our tie atop the NL West with Phoenix and will be welcoming them to town for a 4-game series starting tomorrow… these feel like important games and, in the end, could prove to be the difference between taking the NL West and barely making the playoffs by the time the dust settles on the 2078 campaign…

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-14-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #428
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/7 – 7/10)

Phoenix Suns (51-34, .600, t-1st NL West) @ Los Angeles Kings (51-34, .600, t-1st NL West)
Phoenix, our nemesis – the burnt orange & eggplant purple squad that came from the desert – is 1st in runs scored, AVG, and OBP while we are 1st in OPS, bWAR, HRs, and runs against. In that way we are very similar – we both have expertly constructed offenses, serviceable staffs, and rabid fanbases. In the aggregate, when you look at everything as part of an organic whole, they are, according to the baseball punditry, the better team – at least since we’ve lost Otto for the season. Since that unfortunate development, many in the media have pegged us for nothing more than a paper tiger that is performing at a clip that is unsustainable. And, if I’m being honest, it’s a hard declaration to refute – unless we can manage to do so on the field over these next 4 games. A tall order, to be sure, given that they have SS Ray Gerhold, 3B Homer Wingard, and 1B Jacob Wells making up a fierce part of the batting order and backing that up with superior defensive play. I think that the reality here is that we have what it takes – the wherewithal, if you will – to get this done, to at least split these next four and maintain our place perched at the top of the NL West even if it is a shared honor with the club I hate the most (though Green Bay is close).

86 of 162: Crusher Melendez (6-4, 4.09) @ Newton Weiser (11-5, 3.51)
Loss, 4-1
. Newton gave up 2 earned runs over 6 innings – we allowed all four of their runs during that stretch, but, Dom, ol’ butter glove, is the real culprit as a passed ball that he couldn’t find in the backstop led to two runs making it home in the top of the 1st. As inauspicious a start as I can think of – and, to be clear, I wouldn’t have thought of it if it didn’t happen… This was certainly a far cry from how we drew it up, but, in this game, drawings are meaningless – even the best and most creative architectural plans require a tradesman that can execute them and with Dom behind the plate tonight we came up well short.

Elsewhere: RF Kirk Johnson, Megan’s beau and the object of many a female fan's desires in THE CITY OF COMPTON, went 3 for 4 with a double, a homer, and a run in the Raiders 5-3 win over the San Jose Sharks. He’s, thus far, been that rare case where nepotism seems to pay off in actual, meaningful performance. It’s hard to hold Megan accountable for bringing actual talent to our club no matter its origin, I suppose. Oh, and a note from the edge… I’ve received word from a friend of mine, one Mr. Ronald Spaulding, that he is of the belief that he knows where our own Ms. Foggy Finkelstein is – it seems that she’s working as a barista in the SoHo district and is, currently, going by the name of Destiny Chartreuse. My theories are endless, but, for now, I’ve settled on the idea that she has gone into hiding after a too-close-for-comfort run-in with the Yakuza. But I don’t know… It’s a theory that is not based on anything approaching reality. As so many of them tend to be…

87 of 162: Jack Sanchez-Flores (4-6, 4.90) @ Trevor Dotson (6-4, 4.40)
Loss, 4-1
. Well, this is not going according to plan then, is it? Dotson was fine – he gave up 4 over 7.1 and registered 6 K’s – and Sanchez-Flores was better in an 8 inning, 1 earned, 7 K performance. Our backup Catcher, Sueki Kojima, hit a solo home run that would stand as the only mark against the Phoenix ace, and, outside of a stolen base courtesy of Ethan, may have been our lone highlight of note. We’ve gone flat like a 2-liter bottle of Orange Soda that seemed like a good idea when you bought it only to sit in the fridge for weeks after being opened for it’s first, and only, cup.

Elsewhere: Um, RF Kirk Johnson is really feeling it right now in THE CITY OF COMPTON… he went 3 for 3 with a double, a GRAND SLAM, and 3 runs in the Raiders 6-1 win over the San Jose Sharks today and Aris Anaconda got in on it a little bit by hitting a double and scoring twice… I have to keep reminding myself that Kirk, while solid, has a pretty low ceiling when it comes to Major League promise – the kid is on something of a run right now, though, so he gets a tip of the ol’ cap and a pat on the rear – good looks, kid, good looks.

88 of 162: Cam Murphy (4-3, 5.63) @ Jonny Garcia (3-5, 3.31)
Win, 8-1
. Okay, cool – file under “finally”. Jonny gave us 6.1 scoreless innings of work, DH Lloyd Daniels hit a solo shot, we hit for a team cycle (doubles for Rajkumar and Nolan, a triplet for Mullens, and the aforementioned moonshot from Lloyd), and Rajkumar went 3 for 3 with 3 RBIs. We got 3 SBs (Zody x2, McTaggart), a SAC FLY from new guy Nolan, and 2 double plays. Things haven’t completely fallen apart in the Kingdom, but, without a win tomorrow, this series will be a major bust. A damning indictment on the state of my club – a pox on our house. I don’t mean to downplay it – let’s just say that tomorrow is important.

89 of 162: Jake Talley (11-3, 2.62) @ Aiden Jensen (8-6, 3.67)
Win, 1-0
. We managed to navigate this series with our egos intact, thanks, largely, to Aiden’s efforts during his masterful complete-game, 9-hit, shutout. Our lone run came on a Dontrell Gay solo jack, we got another double from Rajkumar, two more double-plays, and win this one despite leaving 11 runners stranded over the course of the game. So, we end this thing right where we started, are no worse for wear, and, at the very least, can move forward with the knowledge that the division and, more importantly, the playoffs are still within our grasp.

Elsewhere: Your boy, the totally tubular Rad Taylor, straight out of THE CITY OF COMPTON, has done it… again. Add a complete-game, 4-hit shutout to his permanent record and throw in 5 K’s for good measure – Rad gets a hard-earned 5-0 victory over the Salem Silverbacks tonight in International League play and, finally, gives me someone else to talk about down there besides Kirk Johnson (who put up two RBIs in the game like it ain’t nothing)… Speaking of Megan’s boyfriend, kid took home player of the week honors in the IL’s Democratic League… he hit .481 with 4 home runs, 13 RBIs, and 7 runs scored. I mean, why not?

Some other random notes: Burt McElheny, of the Vancouver Giants, got the start for the AL in the All-Star Game – he was good enough to keep them in the game (not hard to do given that they put all 9 of their runs on the board before the start of the 5th) – and Al Bundy, Polk CC’s favorite Son (and current Carolina Panther), got the W… PoTG was CF Severino Serrano out of Golden State, New Guy Nolan hit a HR for the AL (weird), and Tom Franzone put out an absolute moonshot in the bottom of the 6th. AL wins 9-5… The Phoenix Suns now have a ˝ game lead over us in the NL West (we had an extra day off after the All-Star break), and the largest lead in any of the MLB’s divisions at this point belongs to the Golden State Warriors who hold a slim 2 game lead over the Vancouver Giants. It seems that, as we hurdle ourselves towards the home stretch on the 2078 campaign, we will have some good races to keep our eye on. We got three in Philly coming up – it’ll be nice to get back out on the road even if it is in front of 30K+ fans whose hate for all things Los Angeles will be palpable.

Name:  Standings.PNG
Views: 149
Size:  484.5 KB

Also… here’s something you don’t see every day.

Name:  Iguana.png
Views: 145
Size:  96.9 KB

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-16-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #429
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/15 – 7/17)

Los Angeles Kings (53-36, .596, 2nd NL West) @ Philadelphia 76ers (38-51, .427, 6th NL East)
Contrary to popular belief, Philadelphia, its city, its fans, and its cheesesteaks are not an acquired taste. In fact, I can’t imagine what one would have to do to their tastebuds in order down anything even remotely related to Philly and enjoy it. The city is moribund, its fans are despicable, and its cheesesteaks are just basic fast food dressed up in local folklore. And while there are plenty of good, hard-working folks who would disagree with me here - and they should because I’m mostly wrong about this - I simply cannot be bothered to consider their opinion because I came here with a baseball team to play some games against the hometown club and when you do that you are treated... poorly. This is not a good-natured ribbing - nay - this is a verbal evisceration that is so all encompassing that it will leave your very soul in its wake and force you to seek solace in some, any kind of organized religion. During my tenure in Los Angeles, and after many trips to the city of Brotherly Love, I’ve subscribed to Catholicism, Presbyterianism, and, even spent some time as a card-carrying Buddhist (seriously, they gave me a card)... my expectation then, at the end of this 3-game set, is that I seek refuge in the arms of Pastafarianism for a spell just to shake the evil of being a road team in Philadelphia. Oh, and I almost forgot - the 76ers have Palmer Parker on their club - it’s always nice to see that young man - as hard a worker and fine American as you are likely to find in the MLB.

90 of 162: Paul Yeager (10-5, 3.99) @ Kikuzo Ueno (5-11, 4.31)
Loss, 8-5
. Prior to the game, Philadelphia SP Kikuzo Ueno stopped by and gave me a note… I can only describe it as foreboding – it was from a representative of the Yakuza and read, simply, “where is she?”. He also went 6 innings and gave up 4 runs in this one – we’d need more than that to get the W, but I appreciated his generosity on the mound, nonetheless. Palmer went 3 for 4 with a 2-run HR, Yeager gave up 4 in 2.1 innings and another 2 plated on errors from Dick McTaggart and Goodwin, and despite the fact that we hit 2 doubles and a triple (ETHAN), we were unable to secure a win – this hurts on multiple levels… we need wins, of course, and, worse, we headed to the hotel after the game on the thought that maybe these Philly fans are right about us after all – maybe we do stink… literally and figuratively. Sidenote: Barbaccia was diagnosis with dead arm. He’ll be out for 3 days while we work to secure a bionic replacement.

Elsewhere: Tom Franzone, Pennsylvania’s man of the moment, went 5 for 6 with a double, two homers, 4 ribbies, and 4 runs in the Steelers 7-6 LOSS against the Minnesota North Stars. An amazing performance coupled with a disappointing result there… OH HONG, currently plying his trade with THE CITY OF COMPTON, is working out the kinks in his swing and took a step in the right direction with a 3 for 5 day that included a 2-run homer in the Raiders 4-3 win over the Sugarland Skeeters. SP Hezekiah Speich, of the CASTROVILLE FIGHTING ARTICHOKES, pitched a complete game, 1-hitter in their 5-0 win over the Bremerton Yardies and added an amazing 14 K’s in the process. So… good stuff down on the farm while the big club fell flat.

91 of 162: Newton Weiser (11-6, 3.48) @ Vin Uhlman (5-10, 5.38)
Win, 9-2
. A good old-fashioned shellacking… New Guy Nolan went 4 for 4 with a double, a homer, 5 RBI, and 3 runs, Newton gave us 8-innings of 2-run ball, and Rajkumar hit a two-bagger and scored three times. Three doubles for the club, a SAC FLY for Daniels, and Ethan committed his first error of the 2078 campaign.

Elsewhere: Boy oh boy… RAD TAYLOR is looking sharp of late – add another complete game, 5-hit, 3-run effort to his permanent record. He’d get the no-decision here as we lost to Sugarland by a score of 4-3, which snaps his consecutive game winning streak at 5. With he and Oh Hong languishing in COMPTON, I will have some offseason decisions to make (hint: I’ll be dumping some vets to make room for my youngbloods).

92 of 162: Jonny Garcia (4-5, 2.81) @ Grimm McGowan (4-1, 4.01)
Loss, 5-4
. Grimm went the distance, Jonny did not (6 IP, 2 ER), and, despite Dom’s towering 2-run homer in the top of the 8th that put us up by two runs, we took the L in Philly for the second time in three days… I’ve started a preliminary internet search for a Pastafarian congregation in the Los Angeles metropolitan area so I can get right with the lord after taking so much abuse from the Philly faithful. Brisky, who came in during the bottom of the 9th to guide us into extras after Moeller gave up two in the 8th, could only secure one out before giving up the walk-off double that would send us to the showers questioning every decision we’d made with our lives within the last 10 years…

Elsewhere: Orlando Vasquez gave THE CITY OF COMPTON 8 hard scrabble innings of work in a 5-4 win over the Gwinnett Stripers and Kirk Johnson, the most envied man in Compton Proper, went 2 for 3 with a 3-run homer. The guy is living his best life right now – no doubt. We’re now 2 ˝ games off of Phoenix’s pace – so, that’s awesome – and find ourselves mired in the type of malaise that only Philadelphia can inspire… Tom Franzone won PoTW honors again – he’s won the honor 4 times so far, has taken home the PoTM honor twice in 2078, and is on pace to hit 64 jacks which would eclipse the current single-season HR record by a staggering 12 HRs. If I’m being honest, I sincerely hope he slows down in the HR department – he’s nearly 20 bombs ahead of the #2 guy in the NL (Jacob Well – PHX: 19) and is 10 ahead of Seattle’s Aitor Cubas who, obviously, has 27. These types of random statistical outliers make me fighty.

Name:  Franzone HR.PNG
Views: 140
Size:  78.4 KB

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-16-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #430
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/18 – 7/20)

Los Angeles Kings (54-38, .587, 2nd NL West) @ St. Louis Rams (48-44, .522, 3rd NL East)
That I find the City of St. Louis to be a more palpable baseball destination than Philadelphia says more about me than it does about them - chalk it up to my affinity for toasted ravioli and family-friendly trash talk. Or, more pointedly, put it on the fact that my capacity for abuse is so low that I would prefer the Arch to the Liberty Bell... it is a sad state of affairs indeed. Listen, in the off-season I will fully admit a lot of things - among them that Nirvana’s Bleach is actually their crowning achievement, that Red Snapper Hot Dogs are nasty no matter what a Portland, ME local says, and that the Liberty Bell owns the STL Arch every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But, we’re not there right now so... it’s, as they say, what it is. The Rams are solid - a beatable club, for sure, but not one to be taken lightly - they have the GOAT, Josiah Weber, captaining their staff and boast a lineup whose timely relentlessness has allowed the club to outperform the Pythagorean by 4 games. This is a club that knows how to get it done when they are not supposed to and given our penchant for playing down to the level of our competition, which gives me pause. Nothing a plate of toasted ravioli with a bud light or four to wash them down won’t fix, I suppose.

93 of 162: Aiden Jensen (9-6, 3.42) @ Dimitri Pimentel (11-3, 3.09)
Win, 5-4
. We’d overcome a 5 for 5 day from Mike Duncan to find a way to get a hard-earned, extra-inning win in this one. Brisky earned the W in relief, Moeller picked up his first save of the season, and Mullens’ run-scoring single in the top of the 11th gave us all the cushion we’d need to secure the win and start to put our misfortune of 3-days in Philly behind us. We got 3 doubles, a SAC BUNT, a SAC FLY, and 2 double plays during the contest. We battled here – nice to see the team muster up the pride necessary to put it all on the line in this one.

94 of 162: Trevor Dotson (6-5, 4.44) @ Josiah Weber (5-11, 4.46)
Loss, 4-2
. The good times are killing me… Josiah, the GOAT, showed nice form in a 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 6 K performance and outdueled Trevor despite his 7 innings, 2 earned outing… We struck out 9 times, Josiah pegged Ethan for crowding the plate, Goodwin committed his 9th fielding flub, and Dom had another passed ball. All in a day’s work – we are as capable of being world-beaters as we are of being a downtrodden group of also-rans.

Elsewhere: RF Aris Anaconda went 2 for 3 with 2 homers, 4 RBIs, and 2 runs in Compton’s 7-6 win on the road in Gwinnett and Kumar Bovie, PHing in the bottom of the 9th hit a walk-off, 2-run, ding dong to secure the victory – the game-winner is his 7th jack of the season.

95 of 162: Paul Yeager (10-6, 4.22) @ Trev Anderson (4-7, 4.13)
Win, 1-0
. Yeager gave us 8.1 innings of shutout baseball and Barbaccia, now with bionic arm, secured his 28th save of the season… 11 K’s for Yeager, whose Fastball was nowhere near the sound barrier, RBI SAC FLY for Zody, Ethan burgled a bag, and we completed 3 double plays in the victory. Nice to get the series win here, on the road, and it’s always nice to send the hometown crowd home on a loss after a long, boring game of baseball. That’ll teach them to come to a game when we’re in town.

Elsewhere: Rad Taylor pitched his second straight no-decision for THE CITY OF COMPTON in a 5-3 win over the Cincinnati Bengals… the King of Valley Speak gave the Raiders 8 innings and gave up only 7 hits and 2 earned runs. Next up for us… we’ll head back to the friendly confines of LA Proper where I’ll try out a few Pastafarian congregations and get the club ready to welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers to town. I’ve already instructed our pitching coach, Thomas Hall, that Tom Franzone is not to see a single fastball during his stay in the City of Angels unless it’s aimed at his head. We’ve made up some ground on Phoenix… only 2 games back instead of 2 ˝… HEY, I’ll take what I can get, OK? The Golden State Warriors have turned it up recently and now own a 6-game lead over the Vancouver Giants in the AL West… And, Megan, in her infinite, if less than obvious wisdom, has made her second trade as acting GM – 1B Martin Scott, who she recently purchased from the Bush League, along with LF David Pritcher, is headed to San Diego for RP Johnny Miyakawa. With the trade, OH HONG moves back up to the big club. Welcome home my wayward son...

Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #431
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/22 – 7/24)

Pittsburgh Steelers (54-42, .563, 2nd NL East) @ Los Angeles Kings (56-39, .589, 2nd NL West)
Tom Franzone, a legend in the making, seemingly came out of nowhere... he certainly wasn’t on my radar and my brain trust was unaware of his promise when he was drafted. He’s that rarest of beasts, a Strangeverse unicorn, who came from the deepest & darkest corner of our Verse and made good - better than good really - on his potential. He’s exceeded all expectations and has crafted himself into an otherworldly talent who is treating the record books as his personal plaything. Pittsburgh is, frankly, pedestrian without him... sure, they’d still have guys like Ian Hanan manning second base, and Otis Murray would still be out there patrolling leftfield but, offensively, without Tom, their run production would be a lot lighter and they definitely wouldn’t lead the majors in homers. In short, the guy is a difference-maker of the highest order – he’s not the sparkplug, he’s the engine. It’s his contribution that has positioned this year’s model of the Pittsburgh Steelers as the top offensive club in the NL… it’s just too bad that the guy can’t pitch – Pittsburgh ranks 8th in that category, thanks, mostly, to a leaky bullpen that struggles to close out games after the starter gets pulled. That will be our recipe for success here if we can manage it – give the starters good, tough Abs, keep it close enough so that we’re within striking distance once they get pulled, and profit. Easier said than done, for sure, but at this point, we don’t have a choice – it’s either we stay locked in and make something happen or we begin our descent into the postseason way too early.

96 of 162: Robby Garrett (11-6, 3.79) @ Newton Weiser (12-6, 3.41)
Win, 4-3
. Newton lasted 6 innings but was pulled after allowing 3 runs to score, Barbaccia’s bionic appendage seems to have done the trick as he earns his league-leading 29th save of the year, and Tom Franzone went 0 for 3 with 2 K’s. Rajkumar & Dick McTaggart both drove one in, Dom struck out FOUR times, we hit FIVE doubles as a club and got two stolen bags from Ethan Mullens. We really got outpitched in this one – Garrett went the distance, so we never got to see any of their bullpen arms, and, our game plan really had no bearing on the outcome of this game… we’ll take it, though.

97 of 162: Gregory Morgan (8-8, 4.34) @ Jonny Garcia (4-5, 2.83)
Win, 2-1
. We still couldn’t find a way to get to Pittsburgh’s bullpen yet will still found a route to victory – starting with Garcia who went 8 innings and only allowed 1 run on 3 hits – he was, in a word, masterful… Barbaccia dropped his ERA below 4 and earned his 30th save, and Tom Franzone, the bogeyman himself, went a paltry 1 for 4 with 2 K’s. Dontrell drove in our lone offensive run, Pitt’s Morgan walked in the other, a 35th bag was added to Ethan’s collection, and each of our 5 hits was a single… in fact the only EBH of the game was a homer courtesy of Eldin Kemp (it’s only his 2nd of the year – so, even that, was an unlikely outcome).

98 of 162: Kurt Miller (5-4, 3.47) @ Aiden Jensen (9-6, 3.50)
Loss, 6-3
. We finally managed to get to the Steelers bullpen in this one, but their fault line didn’t shift and in the end, we were undone by a 3-run top of the 9th that was orchestrated by Barbaccia, who in his haste, seemingly forgot to oil his new bionic arm. RF Remildo Puente hit the 3-run blast that would prove to be our undoing in that frame as Pittsburgh won despite another poor showing from Franzone. Dick, Rajkumar, and Julian were responsible for our only runs, OH HONG hit a SAC BUNT, and we missed out on a golden opportunity to get a sweep here to make up some ground on the Suns who lost to the Citizens tonight. Running in place… better than going backward, but not good enough.

Elsewhere: SP Cosmo Puente, of the Gwinnett Stripers, pitched a complete game, 2-hit shutout over the Cincinnati Bengals – the Stripers won it by a score of 6-0. At 30-years old, and with all of his potential tapped, Cosmo is trying to work his way into Carolina’s bullpen this season for one more cup of coffee before his inevitable entry into the Bush League… CF Norbert Northup, the 164th pick of the 2076 draft out of San Francisco, who is currently plying his trade with the Fargo Rallybirds, the AA club of the Rams, went 4 for 4 with 2 homers and 6 RBIs in their 8-0 win over the Kamloops Moose in Continental League play. Norbert, a low ceiling guy whose potential as an offensive threat is limited despite his world-class speed, has a ways to go before he will be considered as a potential member of St Louis’ big club – but, so far this season he is batting .340 with 4 homers, 19 RBIs, and a 1.5 WAR.

Name:  Norbert.png
Views: 124
Size:  266.8 KB

Old 11-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #432
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Injury News

This, the injuries, has been the problem with Phoenix over the last few seasons - they should have been challenging us over these last few years, and, in a way, they have - it's just that they never seem to be at full strength. Today, they lost Patrick Keith. Again. He missed 3 months after sustaining an injury in April and after just two starts is out again...

This guy is a stud - if they had him all season I have no doubt that they'd have a nearly insurmountable lead on us by now...

Name:  Kieth.png
Views: 114
Size:  79.0 KB

Old 11-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #433
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/26 – 7/28)

Houston Dynamo (46-53, .465, 4th NL West) @ Los Angeles Kings (58-40, .592, 2nd NL West)
A date with the Dynamo seems like a sure thing - as long as you cover the basics, get your reservations in advance, and let them pick the appetizer you should make it all the way home. Nonetheless, for all their predictability, they are a difficult club to dial in... they aren’t any good, really, and the moves they’ve made so far seem to suggest that a tanking effort isn’t in the cards. Maybe, they’re cool with average - content to let the wind take them where it may with little to no concern with where they’ll end up. They’ve traded their premier offensive weapon, Rich Bell, to the Jets for a couple of low-upside minor league relievers and a lifetime supply of roasted peanuts, are still paying Rudolf the Ruiner to occupy space in their bullpen and have still managed to produce similar results to Shawna’s Minnesota brain trust without boasting the same Ivy League pedigree. Houston has perfected living comfortably in the middle of the road with a GM who's mastered the art of being a used car salesman whose bumper to bumper warranty doesn’t extend past the curb and an Owner who makes his living selling his endless supply of Wolf tickets to the unwitting Dynamo faithful. And, as always - this sort of club makeup is our kryptonite... we’re susceptible to a well-constructed honey trap and still haven’t figured out how to win a rigged hand of three-card monte.

In other, semi-related news, the esteemed Ms. Foggy Finkelstein has popped up on the grid again. I have it on good authority that she’s currently serving as a camp host at the Sullys Hill National Game Preserve. So far, our plan is to send Otto in to infiltrate disguised as the leader of a Birding Club from Southern California. If all goes according to plan his birding group, the SoCal Birding & Exploration Consortium, will successfully spot a Great Crested Flycatcher and return to LA with Foggy in tow. Our timing, however, is poor - we’ll have just missed breeding season... hopefully, that won’t blow Otto’s cover.

99 of 162: Josiah Kawka (8-10, 4.61) @ Paul Yeager (11-6, 3.94)
Loss, 2-1
. Our guys, outside of Yeager who gave us a CG, 2-run effort, were lost in the shuffle in this one – every time one of them made a selection, the shell was lifted to reveal nothing underneath. We could only manage 4 hits, no batter recorded more than one hit individually, 8 runners we left on base, Zody got caught with his hand in the honey pot, and Dom let another passed ball get by him. We just can’t seem to break the cycle of losing to clubs that have no business on the same diamond as us… but, it’s like they say – if you can’t spot the sucker within 5-minutes of entering the room, you ARE the sucker.

Elsewhere: Jo Jo Jackson, my Bo Knows clone who currently occupies a spot on the Dallas Cowboys roster and who leads the league in K’s, went 4 for 5 with a 3-run blast and 2 runs in a 15-5 loss against the hard-charging Golden State Warriors. He now has 25 homers on the season and is currently ranked at #3 for jacks in the league.

Name:  jo jo 2.png
Views: 107
Size:  255.1 KB

100 of 162: Gabe Uruburu (8-5, 4.20) @ Trevor Dotson (6-6, 4.32)
Loss, 5-1
. Sometimes, the bottom just drops out and that is what we are seeing here… 7 hits as a club, 3 doubles though (Mullens, Daniels, and Dom), Ethan got caught trying to get cute on the base paths, Goodwin committed his 10th error, Dotson gave up 5 runs and a homer in 6.2 innings of work, and we stunk up the joint in front of our fans for the second night in a row. Side note: Rudolf the Ruiner had his night ruined when he sustained an undisclosed injury while working in relief… he only pitched to one batter, so, unfortunately for us, he wasn’t out there long enough for us to get something going.

Elsewhere: Rad Taylor, your boy reppin’ the CITY OF COMPTON, added another win to his permanent record in an 8-5 win over the Seattle Supersonics and Kirk Johnson, everyone’s favorite not-so-eligible bachelor, went 3 for 4 with a double, TWO JACKS, 4 RIBBIES, and 2 runs in the win… it was enough for him to be named the International League “Star of the Day”… Some guys have all the luck.

101 of 162: Pete Taylor, no relation (7-9, 4.09) @ Newton Weiser (12-6, 3.45)
Win, 2-1
. We got a close one here where our offense still sputtered as we managed to salvage some pride in the 3rd game of this set – Newton gave us 8 hard-scrabble innings and only allowed a single run to plate, Ethan walked twice and scored, Barbaccia picked up his 31st SV, Dick McTaggart hit a SAC BUNT, and we completed 3, count ‘em, THREE double plays. We managed to draw 40K fans to the park tonight and at least half of them left happy – the other half, given that this was such a low scoring affair, left tired.

Elsewhere: SP Orlando Vasquez, of your CITY OF COMPTON RAIDERS, pitched a CG shutout and RF Aris Anaconda finished at 1 for 4 with the game-winning HR in our 1-0 win over the Seattle Supersonics… so, our AAA affiliate is playing well while our big club is not. Cool. Bright side? We’re still only 1 game back in the NL West and have Shawna’s North Stars on the docket next – so, while they are outplaying us in the Los Angeles County Municipal Stadium, I’ll busy myself by talking trades with her. Always a good time to lock horns with someone that is way smarter than me… Oh, and Golden State now has 66 wins, is up 8 games on the Vancouver Giants, and is, without a doubt, the best team in baseball.

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-18-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #434
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (7/29 – 7/31)

Minnesota North Stars (47-53, .470, 4th NL West) @ Los Angeles Kings (59-42, .584, 2nd NL West)
With a staff that is led by LA flunky’s Dejuan Burns and Matt Olston, and that is ranked dead last in every major statistical category, the Minnesota North Stars have something of a pitching problem. They have given up a league-leading 605 runs in 2078, list three pitchers in their starting rotation who have a 6+ ERA, and field a stable of relievers who leak homers like a sieve. Their cupboard is so devoid of serviceable arms that it is difficult to figure why they haven’t made some moves aimed at shoring up their staff. Perhaps it is because they, outside of Dejuan, have no one on their roster who has been identified as long-term. With 21 players in the last year of their contract, one has to wonder what, if anything, Shawna and her Braintrust have up their sleeves for the offseason. Why would you keep any of this trash? I suppose that we all could have Shawna pegged incorrectly – maybe she’s not the baseball savant she claimed to be… instead, maybe she is a hoarder bent on amassing a collection of baseball’s misfit toys as some sort of social experiment. If we’re looking for the answer to the question of what happens when you group 25 competitive athletes together who have no chance of achieving anything of note together, then the North Stars are giving us our best opportunity to find out.

102 of 162: Matt Olston (9-8, 6.52) @ Jonny Garcia (5-5, 2.59)
Win, 4-2
. Dick McTaggart hit two doubles, drove one in, and scored, while Garcia was serviceable over 6.1 innings of work that included 3 walks to go with his 9 K’s. Barbaccia recorded his 32nd save, Dom went 3 for 4, and we got 2-out RBIs from McTaggart and Mullens (that has the sound of a good title for an early 90s buddy cop movie, doesn’t it?)… OH HONG went 0 for 3 with 1 K and the Bush League graduate, Yoshimasa Sugawara went 0 for 4 with 3 Ks.

Note: Maybe it should be titled Mullen & McTaggart instead... I see it as a Tango & Cash / Turner & Hooch hybrid with a bit of Lethal Weapon sprinkled in where Mullen’s plays it fast and loose as the wildcard to McTaggart’s straight man.

Elsewhere: A couple of trades today… 1. The Minnesota North Stars have finalized a deal with the Green Bay Packers for the services of 23-year-old minor league LHP Gürhan Oglu and 24-year-old minor league RHP Freddy Moore. In exchange, the Packers will receive 32-year-old RHP Pascal Paiz and $30,000 in cash. So far this season, Paiz has logged a 2-4 record with a 6.69 ERA. He has started 8 games, hurled 37.2 innings and registered 24 strikeouts and 16 walks. 2. After a week of negotiations, the Citizens and Suns have come to terms on a deal that will send 31-year-old LF Tony Voorhis, 22-year-old minor league RHP Almedin Samardzic and 22-year-old minor league LF Jimmy Lucas to Phoenix for 26-year-old RHP Cam Murphy. Voorhis is presently hitting at a .300 pace with 14 home runs and 73 RBIs. He has played in 99 games and scored 48 times. This year Murphy has a 6-5 mark in 14 starts with a 5.65 ERA. He has given up 102 hits in 73.1 innings, struck out 82 and issued 19 walks. Opposing clubs have compiled a .331 batting average against him…. I’m gonna be honest – this one hurts… Voorhis to Phoenix just doesn’t sit right with me, even if I’m happy for Cam.

Name:  Cam.png
Views: 112
Size:  269.2 KB

103 of 162: Taylor Pushkin (6-5, 6.17) @ Aiden Jensen (9-7, 3.55)
Win, 4-3
. Dontrell Gay’s solo HR in the bottom of the 10th secured the win for us, Aiden was strong over 7 innings and contribute 8 K’s to our running total for 2078. Doubles for Rajkumar and Ethan, OH HONG ground weakly into a double play, Zody stole his 19th bag, and Julian Goodwin committed his 11th fielding flub. Yoshimasa Sugawara went 0 for 4 with 3 K’s for Minnesota… again.

104 of 162: Dejuan Burns (7-10) @ Paul Yeager (11-7)
Loss, 2-1
. Yeager went 8.1 innings, struck out 10 batters, and only gave up 2 earned runs but was still unable to secure the win as our offense does nothing of note in this one to help his cause. Dom drove in our only run in the bottom of the 9th on a double, but our squad, who couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat today, was unable to sustain the short-lived rally. Not my favorite way to close out July but… there it is. Yoshimasa Sugawara went 2 for 4 with a solo HR for the North Stars, while OH HONG went 0 for 4 with 3 K’s.

Elsewhere: Tony Voorhis went 0 for 5 in his Phoenix debut while Cam Murphy gave Brooklyn 7.1 innings with 6 K’s en route to his first win in a Citizens kit. Up next… we enter August where 24 of our 27 games will be played on the road (sort of – we do have a 3-game set @ LA Galaxy in there somewhere, so…). The silliness will begin with a 2-game series in San Diego followed by quick jaunts to San Fran and Phoenix before returning to LA to face the Galaxy in our road kits.

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #435
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (8/2 – 8/3)

Los Angeles Kings (61-43, .587, 2nd NL West) @ San Diego Chargers (37-69, .349)
We’ll start our 12-game road trip with two contests against the Chargers in San Diego. Hopefully, if we can avoid the trappings of paradise, this will afford us a good start to what could quickly become our most arduous trip of the season… that’s my expectation anyway. San Diego is a special kind of bad – they aren’t the usual blend of some good elements sprinkled in amongst the bad… their offense is terrible (11th everywhere) and their pitching staff is too (11th everywhere). This is as good an opportunity to make up some ground on Phoenix as we are likely to get – and, if I’m being realistic, it’s not even that great of an opportunity given the fact that the burnt orange & eggplant purple have a 3-game set in Houston being contested in parallel with our scraps against the Chargers. They’ll probably win those games – and, for us, the reality is that the result against any club, no matter how poor, is always up in the air.

A quick note: Before we get to the games, I think that it is important to note that your boy SS Hamza McDonnell of the Toronto Red BC went 3 for 5 with a HR, 3 RBIs and 2 runs in his clubs 10-4 win over the Green Bay Packers. Hamza, a favorite of mine (it’s more about his mustache than his skills), is hitting .255 in Toronto with 5 jacks and 43 RBIs… so, he’s not exactly setting the world on fire on the regular, but he had himself something of a game tonight.

Name:  Hamza.png
Views: 111
Size:  244.0 KB

105 of 162: Trevor Dotson (6-7, 4.46) @ Josh Allen (5-12, 4.65)
Win, 10-2
. Crushed ‘em. Dotson went 8.2 with 5 Ks and 1 earned and Dontrell went 3 for 5 with a HR, 3 RBI’s, and 2 runs – so, um, yeah, he was basically doing a Hamza impression for us tonight… 4 doubles (Ethan, Dick, Lloyd, and OH HONG), Ethan stole his 36th bag, we got two sweet double plays, and, because it can’t all be good news, another passed ball got by our backstop – Dom has a leaky glove… super frustrating.

Elsewhere: LF Tony Voorhis is starting to fit in with the Phoenix Suns and took home the MLB’s star of the day designation on a 2 for 3 performance where he added 2 dingers, 5 RBIs, 4 runs, and three walks. The Suns won the game by a score of 19-3… that’s what we in the business like to call a soul-crushing victory. Our soul, their (Houston, I mean) soul, everybody’s soul – gone into the ether.

106 of 162: Newton Weiser (13-6, 3.33) @ Evan Paul (0-2, 4.63)
Loss, 2-1
. Newton was outdueled by Evan Paul despite giving us 7 innings and only allowing 2 earned runs (5 K’s (Cool!), 4 walks (What?))… Our bats were poor in this tilt – we couldn’t manage a single extra-base hit, struck out 6 times, popped out 7 times, grounded out 11 times, and hit into FOUR double plays. And, guess what… Do you know who didn’t lose today? Phoenix, that’s who… and the reason why is pretty simple – they don’t fall flat against unworthy clubs while we have made this kind of thing into the type of habit you can’t just shake over a long weekend in the woods.

So, we’ll have a day off before heading up to San Francisco for a 3-game set while our Compton club heads south to Mexico City to face the Diablos for a few days… I gotta be honest, as the self-appointed President of Baseball Operations for the LA Kings it might be time that I take a trip with my AA club to get a look at some of these kids in person – if nothing else, it could be a good opportunity to get to know Kirk a little better – I’m not convinced that he’s good enough for Megan… might have to grab a seat on that plane and see what the kid is all about. Any attempt to convince me that his intentions are pure will confirm what I already think I know – the kid is up to no good, some sort of nefarious shenanigans if you will… plus, Rad’s pitching in the second game, I do love an authentic tacos al pastor and being surrounded by pervasive religious idolatry. It’s kind of a win-win.

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-20-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #436
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (8/5 – 8/7)

Compton Raiders (54-51, .514, 3rd DL West) @ Mexico City Diablos (62-43, .590, 2nd DL East)
I regretted my decision to join Compton on their jaunt to Mexico City almost a soon as I found my seat on the plane. The reasons for my regret are too numerous to name - so, for the sake of time, I’ll just touch on some of the greatest hits... first, the stench - have you ever been on a plane with 30 professional baseball men? - second, the flight, all of it, was turbulent... I’m not talking bumpy, I’m talking oxygen masks dropping from the overhead turbulent... and, third, Kirk Johnson, god bless him, slept the entire way. Once we had deplaned, and after I kissed the ground in homage to whatever higher power got me back to it in one piece, I quickly retreated to my hotel - a nice, upscale grotto away from the players - and studied up on the Diablos while enjoying a lukewarm cerveza and a platter of tacos al pastor. Orlando’s affiliate club is an interesting case-study on development in that they’ve, over the course of their 50+ years in the fold, constructed their roster with a goal of winning games that no other major league franchise seems overly concerned about. That is to say that, in addition to developing prospects, they aim to win and construct their Mexico City roster like you would a team instead of a farm club. They stock it with team-first personalities of suspect ceilings and specialists in support of their often paltry collection of ranked talent. This has been a financially prudent tact as the local faithful support their club with a fervor that rivals that of some of our more successful big-league clubs. This should be an interesting few days, indeed. And one where I expect the positives, my nearly presidential treatment by the Mexico City Diablos brass among them, to outweigh the results. I’ll be enjoying the games from the corporate box, will have my own dedicated waitstaff, and am staying in a posh Mexico City hotel courtesy of my assistant’s no-stone-left-unturned travel booking style. I could get used to this.

Oh, and, in case you forgot, the Big Club is enjoying all that the fine city of San Francisco offers over the next three days…

106 of 144: Lloyd Wilkens (4-2, 4.07) @ Funky Martin (4-2, 3.18)
Before we get to the game… can we just take a moment to enjoy the fact that Mexico City is starting a guy named Funky Martin? And, can we also enjoy the fact that he has a legit opportunity to be that rare international signee who makes good on some, if not all, of his early promise?
Win, 5-3. Lloyd gave us 8 innings of better-than-solid work, K’d 10 of Mexico City’s finest, and only allowed 3 runs to the plate while Left Fielder, and some time Major Leaguer, Kumar Bovie hit two dingers, drove 3 in, and plated himself on 3 separate occasions. Bakari Konate hit another homer for the CITY OF COMPTON, we got caught with our hand in the honey pot… twice, and Bakari committed his 3rd error of the season.

Elsewhere: SP Bentley Noonan, of the Cincinnati Bengals, pitched a 9-K, No-no in a 2-0 win over the Austin Grackles. Bentley, who had made 21 starts this season for Green Bay in the MLB, has amassed a 9-5 record with a 3.30 ERA for the Packers in 2078… this was his 1st start in the International League this season. And, because I looked it up – I’d like to note that Noonan is an Oregon State Beaver alum who was drafted in 2074 22nd overall by the Green Bay Packers. Oh, and our Big Club lost in extras to the San Francisco Seals by a score of 3-2. Scott Kaszuba hit the run-scoring single that sent our guys to the showers in the bottom of the 11th.

Name:  Noonan.png
Views: 100
Size:  248.6 KB

107 of 144: Rad Taylor (8-6, 3.01) @ Kito Western (12-4, 2.90)
Listen, I don’t want to dwell on this or anything, but it is possible that the Mexico City Diablos have the best named pitching staff in all of organized baseball… KITO. WESTERN.
Win, 2-1. 8 strong innings, 5 K’s and only 1 runner plates while Rad Taylor was on the mound, Aris Anaconda went 2 for 5 with a run, and Kirk Johnson drew a walk in his lone AB as a DH tonight… you might be wondering why he was on the bench tonight – let's just say that I wanted to see how he reacts when he’s told ‘no’. We got a double from Mario Marshburn, a slick double play, and Jack St. Germain recorded his 27th save of the season.

Elsewhere: My LA Kings took game two of their 3-game set against the San Francisco Seals – Paul Yeager went 8 innings, K’d 6, and didn’t allow a single run to plate and Barbaccia, who couldn’t secure the shutout (he gave up a solo shot in the bottom of the 9th), earned his 33rd save of the year. And, SP Toby George, of the Columbia Blowfish, pitched a 7 K no-no against the Coney Island Footlongs in Bush League play… the Blowfish won by a score of 1-0, and, just like that, we get two no-hitters in two days. Toby George, coincidentally, pitched in 2 games for us in 2075, both in relief, and registered a 3.83 ERA in 4.2 innings pitched. He had a so-so season in Compton the following year – but, despite his best efforts, we released him during the Tricentennial Offseason and he’s been a Bush Leaguer ever since.

108 of 144: Orlando Vasquez (9-7, 4.32) @ Davey Halimkusuma (5-4, 2.88)
Win, 6-4
. Wow. I picked the right time to take a trip with my AAA club, didn’t I… we get our first series road sweep of the season and now, after taking care of business in Mexico, only have to worry about making out of town in time to get back to the states for a date with the Columbus Bluejackets in Compton Municipal Park. Velasquez battled for 4.2 innings even though he didn’t really have his best stuff, Aris Anaconda went 2 for 5 with a GRAND SLAM, and Rake Lewis went 2 for 4 with a solo HR. Kirk Johnson, back in the starting rotation, went 1 for 3 with a run, 2 walks, and a K while leaving three runners stranded. Good times.

Elsewhere: The Big Club lost game three to the San Francisco Seals by a score of 4-2. I’ll be joining them in Phoenix tomorrow and plan on having a chat with Megan to find out what the heck is going on with those guys… I can’t leave for three days without the ship springing a leak.

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-22-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #437
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (8/8 – 8/11)

Los Angeles Kings (63-46, .578, 2nd NL West) @ Phoenix Suns (66-45, .595, 1st NL West)
Phoenix has 6 batters who are hitting .300 or better in their lineup and, with the addition of Tony Voorhis, could very well have themselves a 7th if he heats up a bit. By way of comparison – we have a lineup that boasts only two .300 or better hitters. Outside of this, and a few other, stark contrasts – one could make the argument that we are very evenly matched clubs. They have the top-ranked offense to our 5th ranked offense and we have the top-ranked pitching staff to their 4th ranked collection of arms. But, and this is a critical point, one of the key differences is that we are paying nearly $30M more than they are to achieve similar, if not quite as good, results. The Suns are an easy team to hate – and, no, not because of my unceremonious and completely unfair dismissal from the club after the 2074 season – as they have a dearth of talent, a well-stocked development system, and fantastic AI-driven management team, and some of the best uniforms in Strangeverse. Plus – have you been to Phoenix? It's awesome – on so many levels… it’s close to Northern Arizona, Vegas, and Mexico, winter is not a thing, it has purple and orange sunsets, and it is, without a doubt, and absolute rubberneckers paradise. Good food, too… all of which is largely ruined by the fact that these guys play us so tough that I often arrive in town with the butterflies and leave it on a steady diet of Tums.

110 of 162: Trevor Dotson (7-7, 4.22) @ Crusher Melendez (9-5, 3.74)
Loss, 8-4
. OH HONG was solid in this one – 2 for 3, a 3-run homer, and a run – but it was former Laker, Tony Voorhis, who stole the show in a 2 for 3 performance with a 2-run blast in the winning effort for Phoenix. Dotson was saddled with his 8th loss of the season, our offense left 4 runners stranded, Rajkumar committed an uncharacteristic error (it’s only his 2nd this season), and even the fact that we hit for the team cycle couldn’t save us from embarrassment in the 1st of these 4 games…

111 of 162: Newton Weiser (13-7, 3.30) @ Jack Sanchez-Flores (8-6, 3.80)
Loss, 6-3
. Newton fell apart a bit in the bottom of the 6th and picked up his 8th loss of 2078, Dick McTaggart hit a 3-run homer in vain, and PHX 2B Craig Berry went 3 for 4 with the 2-run Jack that got Weiser lifted from the game. Mullens hit a triple and scored, Dick got caught trying to get away with moving forward a base when he thought no one was looking, and we left 4 stranded for the second night in a row. Our offense is operating like an ’86 Monte Carlo with a dead battery and a Foghat bumper sticker – we’re wearing our sleeveless Steve Miller Band T-Shirt, leaning on the drivers' side front bumper with a lit cigarette in hand just trying to look cool for the ladies… but, despite our best efforts, they just keep walking right on by…

Elsewhere: In his first game without me looking over his shoulder, Compton’s Kirk Johnson went 3 for 5 with a double, 2 RBI and a run in the Raiders’ hard-fought win over the visiting Columbus Bluejackets. He’s not fooling me though… something off about that kid.

112 of 162: Jonny Garcia (6-5, 2.60) @ Jake Talley (14-5, 2.57)
Win, 3-1
. Garcia gave us a great eight, Barbaccia was fluid in earning his 34th save, and Lloyd Daniels hit a solo HR and was responsible for each of our 3 runs in this one… Dontrell Gay was injured during the contest and is expected to miss the next 5 days (or so…), Ethan walked 4 times (he ties our regular-season record for free passes in one game), and Dick McTaggart lifted his 19th bag of the year.

113 of 162: Paul Yeager (12-8, 3.52) @ Teagan Rachel (5-3, 3.86)
Win, 4-0
. We split the series – an acceptable result, I suppose – got a good performance out of Yeager – 0 earned, 6 Ks, no free passes in 8.1 – and OH HONG went 2 for 4 with a 2-run dinger. We lost Ethan for a couple of weeks due to back tightness…. It’s nothing major, but he will be missed. Brisky faced two batters in relief and got both to fly out, Zody stole his 21st base, and both Oh & Dick hit 2-out RBIs.

So, we’ll head home to face the Los Angeles Galaxy in their park – which is cool, sort of fun to play the cross-town rival. We’ll follow that up with a trip to the Bay Area to face off with the best team in baseball. No rest for the wicked… With Ethan out we’ve brought CF Rake Lewis up from Compton, have placed Julian Goodwin on irrevocable waivers, called up SS Eli Bigham from Compton, and have promoted RF Eric Beach & SS Steven Huskins from Castroville to Compton.

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-22-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #438
stevem810
All Star Starter

Quote:
Compton Raiders (54-51, .514, 3rd DL West) @ Mexico City Diablos (62-43, .590, 2nd DL East)
I regretted my decision to join Compton on their jaunt to Mexico City almost a soon as I found my seat on the plane. The reasons for my regret are too numerous to name - so, for the sake of time, I’ll just touch on some of the greatest hits... first, the stench - have you ever been on a plane with 30 professional baseball men? - second, the flight, all of it, was turbulent... I’m not talking bumpy, I’m talking oxygen masks dropping from the overhead turbulent... and, third, Kirk Johnson, god bless him, slept the entire way. Once we had deplaned, and after I kissed the ground in homage to whatever higher power got me back to it in one piece, I quickly retreated to my hotel - a nice, upscale grotto away from the players - and studied up on the Diablos while enjoying a lukewarm cerveza and a platter of tacos al pastor. Orlando’s affiliate club is an interesting case-study on development in that they’ve, over the course of their 50+ years in the fold, constructed their roster with a goal of winning games that no other major league franchise seems overly concerned about. That is to say that, in addition to developing prospects, they aim to win and construct their Mexico City roster like you would a team instead of a farm club. They stock it with team-first personalities of suspect ceilings and specialists in support of their often paltry collection of ranked talent. This has been a financially prudent tact as the local faithful support their club with a fervor that rivals that of some of our more successful big-league clubs. This should be an interesting few days, indeed. And one where I expect the positives, my nearly presidential treatment by the Mexico City Diablos brass among them, to outweigh the results. I’ll be enjoying the games from the corporate box, will have my own dedicated waitstaff, and am staying in a posh Mexico City hotel courtesy of my assistant’s no-stone-left-unturned travel booking style. I could get used to this.

Oh, and, in case you forgot, the Big Club is enjoying all that the fine city of San Francisco offers over the next three days…
the good life that it is
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #439
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem810 View Post
the good life that it is
Yes, sir. Fraught with danger, copious amounts of hotdogs, and boredom!

Old 11-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #440
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2078 Season (8/12 – 8/14)

Los Angeles Kings (65-48, .575, 2nd NL West) @ Los Angeles Galaxy (54-60, .474, 5th AL West)
Historically, the LA Galaxy have been THE Los Angeles club… 46 playoff appearances, a world series win, and a .505 lifetime winning percentage. But, that was then and, well, this is now. History belongs in books – we are the present – and, after winning TWO championships in a row, if you want to be seen by the people that matter in Tinseltown then it’s our park you frequent. Of course, it’s not lost on me that the LA Galaxy have an opportunity to, despite their terrible performance thus far in 2078, enact some small measure of revenge against us given that we won last year's World Series against them. And, I guess that it should be noted that if it is revenge you are after then, given our current form, we’re ripe for the picking… I have half a mind to avoid this set altogether and head out to Henderson, Nevada to watch my Castroville Fighting Artichokes take on the Snake Pops in some AA Continental League play… but, I won’t. Because, as you well know, I am a dedicated professional who never takes his eye of the prize, who surrounds himself only with the best and the brightest (present company not included), and whose commitment to winning is an all-consuming force from which I will not be denied.

114 of 162: Aiden Jensen (9-8, 3.61) @ Marco Ortega (3-11, 4.60)
Win, 4-0
. Complete game shutout for Jensen, a 2 for 3 day with a HR, 4 ribbies, a run, and a walk fro Dick McTaggart, and double #30 for Rajkumar… the prince is a double machine, y’all. Did I mention that Dick hit a GRAND SALAMI? No. Well, consider that rectified then… Rake Lewis, our recent Compton call-up got himself a tasty little outfield assist in this one as well – the youngster caught the Galaxy’s Asier Gomez trying to stretch one out all the way home from second despite the fact that his wheels are suspect. We win the opening salvo of the battle for LA, Part II… the Secret of the Ooze.

Elsewhere: RAD TAYLOR, your boy reppin’ the Raiders out of the CITY OF COMPTON, hurled a complete game, 3 hit, 5 K, shutout against the San Jose Sharks, in San Jose to pick up his 10th International League win of the 2078 campaign… we really need to dump some salary from our staff, I’m looking at you Brisky, to make some room for our resident Spicoli on the big club. Side note: LF Kirk Johnson went 3 for 4 with a double and 2 RBIs in Compton’s 3-0 win.

115 of 162: Trevor Dotson (7-8, 4.50) @ Medardo Garcia (4-8, 4.02)
Loss, 7-3
. Yikes – Dotson got his tiddies liddy… gave up 3 in the bottom of the 1st, 2 in the bottom of the 3rd and another in the bottom of the 6th before he got the hook and Rake Lewis, making the most of his opportunity, went 2 for 5 with a 2-run homer in the loss. Heathcote Kinton, reformed Rodeo Clown, and man about town was the stud of the contest – the consensus best player in baseball went 3 for 4 with a homer, 4 riblets, and 2 runs for the Galaxy. Eli Bigham, our recent call up who is not making the most of his opportunity, got caught with his hand in the proverbial honey pot, went 0 for 4 with 3 K’s and 3 LOB, and fell out of the dugout before his first at-bat. Not sure, but, I’m thinking that the kid might not be ready for primetime.

Elsewhere: C Robert Scott, the major league longshot who represents the Kamloops Moose (Montreal affiliate), went 4 for 5 with a two-bagger, 2 homers, 4 ribbies, and 3 runs in his clubs 9-6 victory over the Huntington Juggernauts. Scott, who is a low-ceiling guy who was drafted in the 183rd spot by Montreal out of Auburn, has an outside chance of being an MLB back-up Catcher one day – but, I wouldn’t bet on it… this cat (I have him pegged as a tabby if you really need to know) has Bush League written all over him.

116 of 162: Newton Weiser (13-8, 3.52) @ David Arney (11-4, 3.08)
Win, 14-7
. The Ballad of Rake Lewis will be televised – 3 for 6 with a HR (#2!), 4 RBIs, and 3 runs for the youngster… Dom Cooke, the crusty vet with a leaky glove, went 2 for 5 with a 2-run homer, and OH HONG went 2 for 5 with 3 RBIs, 2 runs, and a walk in the victory. Kordell Littles, the future ace with a mustache sexy enough to rival the one donned by Brisky, earned the win in relief, Rake stole two bases to pad his line, and we got SEVEN TWO OUT RBIs for the game.

Elsewhere: The top three performances of the day in the International League belonged to guys named Bono Barrett, Case Bond, and Massimo Andries… some solid AI-generated names there if you ask me… Case, it should be noted, pitched a complete game 2-hit, shutout in Salt Lake’s 3-0 win over the Huntington Beach Bombers… In King's news – we’ll kick it at home for three more days to compete against the Golden State Warriors in our park and are now only one game off of the Suns’ pace in the NL West. 1B Arnold Webster, who took 175 ABs in a Laker's kit in 2077, took home player of the week honors in the NL – he compiled a .480 average with 3 jacks, 9 riblets, and 7 runs for the Vancouver Giants during the one-week stretch… it should be noted that he only hit 6 jacks for us in those 175 ABs I told you about… Oh, and Tom Franzone now has 43 homers in 2078 – which, if you’re counting, puts him at 30th all-time on the single-season HR leaderboard so far… the smart money says he sets the single-season record before this thing is said, done, and added to the permanent record.

Last edited by pauwoo; 11-22-2019 at 11:51 PM.