Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
Francoeurstein
Minors (Triple A)

Catcher Underperformance

I've been a regular OOTP player for the last 3 years, and one thing has been constant: Catcher's typically suck. Catchers typically put up poor offensive numbers despite good offensive ratings. For example my 4* J.T. Realmuto has solid offensive attributes, but has posted an OPS+ of 80 over the past two seasons in 1,000 + at-bats. Yes, catchers typically have underwhelming offensive stats in real life - but to me, the catchers usually always suck. I've had some awesome catchers over the years, but it's usually a unicorn season when they put up above-average offensive numbers. Is there any way I can adjust this so catchers have a higher offensive output? It is difficult to build a team when I know I shouldn't waste money on a catcher.
Francoeurstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Long time player of OOTP and I know where you are coming from.
Had some highly regarded catchers who should be monsters at the plate, and if I am lucky I end up with a guy who hits .260 with 15 homers and an OPS of .750.
So I started emphasizing catcher as a defensive position, looking for someone with high ability and arm. Probably at least 65 in both rankings.
For his backup, I may back off the defensive abilities a bit for more of a bat making him a bigger threat as a pinch hitter.
Catchers seldom seem to get hurt in this game, or I've been lucky or benefited from hiring the best trainer I can find, so I don't worry about losing a catcher in game and not having a backup if I have burned him as a pinch-hitter.
I take a similar stance at shortstop and center field, in terms of their defense is almost as important to me as their offense.

Last edited by rink23; 11-03-2019 at 04:49 PM.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote