Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
Cedrik39
Bat Boy

Extend auction if bid comes in the last 2 or 3 minutes.

I play Hattrick and in the player auctions if somebody bids within the last 3 minutes of the auction ending another 3 minutes is then added on (in place of the going once going twice spiel), this should be in place here.
Cedrik39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 AM   #2
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

This would be a welcome change. As it stands, if you're going to be around at the end of the auction it's counterproductive to enter a bid until the last few seconds.
herbyhancok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 AM   #3
SodoMojo
Minors (Double A)

Are you aware you can place a max bid and be refunded the difference?

Example:
If a card is up for bid for 100pp and you are willing to pay up to 1,000pp - Enter 1000 and click submit bid.

If no one else bids you'll get the card and 900pp credited back to your account when the auction ends.

If others bid it will keep upping your bid until it goes past 1,000pp.

If you already knew this then ignore my post...but I've found out along the way that many people weren't aware it works like this.
SodoMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:13 AM   #4
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodoMojo View Post
Are you aware you can place a max bid and be refunded the difference?

Example:
If a card is up for bid for 100pp and you are willing to pay up to 1,000pp - Enter 1000 and click submit bid.

If no one else bids you'll get the card and 900pp credited back to your account when the auction ends.

If others bid it will keep upping your bid until it goes past 1,000pp.
Exactly the reason why no change is necessary. If you would be willing to pay up to X and not a dime more for a card, enter X as your bid. If the card sells for X - 500, you get 500 PP refunded afterwards.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

Yeah, I'm aware of how the process works. I'd imagine I've bought and sold more cards than at least 98% of the population.

Whether a change is necessary is all a matter of opinion. Sure, with bids you can set it and forget it. I do w/ auctions I won't be around for. If you'll be around for the end of the auction it is very much in your interest to wait to place the max bid that you're willing to spend at the closing seconds so that you don't create a bidding war. This change would eliminate that tactic.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:40 AM   #6
Kushiel
All Star Starter

The AH is fine as is, except for exorbitant prices that will fall over time. There are a finite number of people able to pay these early prices. After that they will start dropping. Bid your max bid and stop worrying. Some people just get upset because they lost that auction that they wanted so badly, but were too timid to make a possible winning bid from the beginning.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I see no need whatsoever to extend auctions. Put in your best offer and the chips fall where they may....period.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

absolutely terrible idea. ultimate team does it like this and people can go back and forth forever. I like knowing when an auction ends for sure.

The max bid system makes it completely unnecessary. There is no real advantage to "sniping" just put your max bid in and get back the difference if you win
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbyhancok View Post
This would be a welcome change. As it stands, if you're going to be around at the end of the auction it's counterproductive to enter a bid until the last few seconds.
This is true since you don't want to lock up the points, but how does it have anything to do with constantly adding 3 minutes of auction time after each bid?

bid your max at the last second and if its higher than everyone elses you win. why should there be a redo if someone else put in a higher max? you could go back and forth forever
Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
This is true since you don't want to lock up the points, but how does it have anything to do with constantly adding 3 minutes of auction time after each bid?

bid your max at the last second and if its higher than everyone elses you win. why should there be a redo if someone else put in a higher max? you could go back and forth forever
agreed... I'm always a last second bidder (less time tying up my points), and there have been plenty of times where I put in my max bid with 4-5 seconds to go, only to lose by 1 point in the last second (who knows what that max bid actually was)... sucks that I didn't get the card, but if I was willing to go higher, it's my own fault for not putting a higher max bid in the first time
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #11
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

Bidding at the last second isn't an engaging or enjoyable mechanic. The current method incentivizes bidding at the last second. It doesn't have to go on ad infinitum, you could say - half the extension time following every bid.

Extending auctions would benefit players that are more casual/less knowledgeable/have less in-game wealth and time by increasing average sale prices. This would also cut into margins for resellers like myself. I'm already maximizing returns as much as possible on cards so I don't really stand to benefit from the increase in average sale price, but I would feel the increase in costs. Whereas most casual sellers aren't - helping to more equally distribute cards and wealth.

It's not all about trying to get the best deal possible. If cards are bringing more accurate returns then the cards tend to find their way into the hands of players that are more likely to utilize them(not hoard them or resell them) and more of PP returns will find themselves in the hands of the type of players who are more likely to meaningfully stimulate the economy. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Last edited by herbyhancok; 04-25-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #12
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
It's not all about trying to get the best deal possible. If cards are bringing more accurate returns then the cards tend to find their way into the hands of players that are more likely to utilize them(not hoard them or resell them) and more of PP returns will find themselves in the hands of the type of players who are more likely to meaningfully stimulate the economy. A rising tide lifts all boats.
The people that may want to hoard them (the rest of us call it collect them since this is a collection game) as you put it or re-sell them have the same rights to the cards as you, the that guy says he has bought and sold more cards than 98% of the rest of us.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #13
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Bidding at the last second isn't an engaging or enjoyable mechanic. The current method incentivizes bidding at the last second.

What you proposes incentivizes last second bidding. Max bid loses it's relevance and now you have to babysit every auction. I truly hate this idea.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
The people that may want to hoard them (the rest of us call it collect them since this is a collection game) as you put it or re-sell them have the same rights to the cards as you, the that guy says he has bought and sold more cards than 98% of the rest of us.
Huh? I'm not making judgements on what anyone does with their cards. I don't much care. I'm just pointing out that it would lead to a more robust economy in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
What you proposes incentivizes last second bidding. Max bid loses it's relevance and now you have to babysit every auction. I truly hate this idea.
It disincentivizes last minute bidding, because you can't avoid a bidding war by last second bidding the maximum you're comfortable with. So you're just as well off to place your max bid and go along with your business.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Fortunately this idea was floated once before and went nowhere. Hopefully the same is true now.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It disincentivizes last minute bidding, because you can't avoid a bidding war by last second bidding the maximum you're comfortable with. So you're just as well off to place your max bid and go along with your business.
people don't last second bid to avoid a bidding war, they do it so their points aren't locked up for the duration of the auction.

I just don't see where the value is with this. If the max I am willing to pay for a card is 10000 that isn't going to change if an extra three minutes gets tacked on. This basically just gives everyone a do-over if they underbid and now change their mind which isn't fair to the person who had the maximum bid at the time the auction was scheduled to end and deserves to win the card.

I think the system is as good as it could be.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
people don't last second bid to avoid a bidding war, they do it so their points aren't locked up for the duration of the auction.

I just don't see where the value is with this. If the max I am willing to pay for a card is 10000 that isn't going to change if an extra three minutes gets tacked on.
I last second bid for both reasons. You might never exceed your initial max, but this is definitely not true of a lot of people. Sniping is a familiar concept to most people who have ever used auction sites. I purchase cards very frequently and whenever I see a card that is a few minutes to end time and I'm apathetic to whether I win or not; I will enter my bid early. Very frequently I will receive immediate counter bids within ten to twenty seconds.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #18
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Today I learned I bid at the last possible second for reasons that are different from the majority of the gaming community here. I totally bid my max at the last possible second specifically to increase the chance that my max bid does not receive any competition from other players. Given time, they may choose to reevaluate what their max bid should be. I wait so I can avoid this.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Today I learned I bid at the last possible second for reasons that are different from the majority of the gaming community here. I totally bid my max at the last possible second specifically to increase the chance that my max bid does not receive any competition from other players. Given time, they may choose to reevaluate what their max bid should be. I wait so I can avoid this.
That's true. If you do it too early, they may decide they wanted the card a lot more than they thought they did and raise their bid. Of course, some times you end up totally forgetting about the auction like I have did many times.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
That's true. If you do it too early, they may decide they wanted the card a lot more than they thought they did and raise their bid. Of course, some times you end up totally forgetting about the auction like I have did many times.
I set alarms

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote