Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #81
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I don't see why teams should be pressured to not sit players.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:54 AM   #82
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I ain't eating in Serge Ibaka's kitchen.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #83
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

The Knicks played hard and shot well against the Mavericks in Dallas last night. Porzingis scored 28 but it wasn't enough to overcome Knicks hustle and aggressive D.

Huh? This is the Knicks that I'm talking about? Yes.

It was the first Knicks game that I watched in a while and the first that I enjoyed watching for a longer time than that, although I had my doubts. I kept looking for them to blow the game, but they hung in and pulled it out.

Is it enough for me to revive the "Anybody else watching the Knicks" thread? No. Not yet, not by a long shot.

One enjoyable game with possible good signs, but only one game. This is still a team of no-name players. Will they coalesce and over-achieve? We'll see.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #84
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Is it enough for me to revive the "Anybody else watching the Knicks" thread? No. Not yet, not by a long shot.
As evidenced by the humiliation they suffered at home in their next game, losing 108-87. They trailed by as much as 30 points.

Who can account for a basketball team looking so good in one game and so bad in the next? So bad in most of the games that they play?

And who can account for why the New York Knickerbockers, who have not won a championship in 46 years, are terrible season after season after season?

And who in the hell can account for the Knicks being in the top 10 for attendance, year after year? Maybe that, folks, is the problem.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

- Bru

Old 11-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #85
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
They reckon we could all be eating that kind of food in years to come.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #86
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Giannis is ****ing amazing

He is 30/14/7 through 10 games.
1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks
59% from the field
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #87
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Former Thunder F Carmelo Anthony headed to Blazers.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #88
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Nice read on Mike Conley & his technical foul free career.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #89
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Dubs and Pelicans need to invest in a new training staff.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #90
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

I will be the first to admit that I did not expect the Lakers to be this good. I thought they were playoff good but I thought Lebron would start to decline (he is but he is so damn good and so damn smart he has shifted his game) and I thought AD would get off to a slow start.
I also thought the rest of the team would be a let down and Lebron would start his usual sub tweet/throw people under the bus bull****.

But damn they are good, 82 games is a long season and player may fall off and injuries happen. But through the first 1/5 of the season they look top 2 playoff seed good and poised for a long playoff run.

And they have found gold in Dwight and JaVale. Who knows how long that will last, but so far that Center platoon is borderline all-star level.
I never would have guessed that coming into the season.

Good on them for finding personal to go around Lebron and pulling off a blockbuster trade that actually works.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #91
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dubs and Pelicans need to invest in a new training staff.
How Chelsea Lane's exit led to the Warriors' injury-laden 2018-19 NBA season
Old 11-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #92
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I will be the first to admit that I did not expect the Lakers to be this good.
I didn't either. I thought their bench was being overrated and they'd land around .500.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #93
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Did not know. Should serve as a warning to franchises across all sports.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #94
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
As evidenced by the humiliation they suffered at home in their next game, losing 108-87. They trailed by as much as 30 points.
How to explain this game? Professional basketball, I mean. One week later, same venue, same teams, and the Knicks blow out the Cavaliers this time.

- Bru

Old 11-20-2019, 05:12 AM   #95
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I don't see why teams should be pressured to not sit players.
Money. When ABC/ESPN and TNT shell out lots of dough, and marquee matchups are set, they expect that if they don't get to see the stars play, it's because of a legitimate injury and not because a team has decided to rest a healthy player.

Ratings are down this year. I'm not saying there's a direct correlation between declining ratings and load management, but it could be one of the factors. And when the networks start insisting on getting some money back and/or tying their fees to healthy stars playing, that is when you will see the NBA league office and owners do something about it.

Along those lines, I'm waiting for this scenario, as an example, to play itself out:

1) Kawai sits out a regular season game vs Milwaukee, with "load management" as the reason; the Bucks grab a narrow victory
2) The Clips and Bucks meet in the NBA finals, with the Bucks having homecourt advantage by virtue of the head-to-head tiebreaker
3) The Bucks win the championship in seven games, with each team winning its home games
4) The Clips kick themselves for putting load management above trying to win every game, thus costing them the title

Unlikely this exact scenario plays out, but you get the idea. It wouldn't have to be the NBA finals for something like this to occur. It could be in any round. (And #1 above actually happened earlier this month.)

I prefer old-school load management: Blow out inferior teams early, and thus rest your stars by playing them low minutes.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #96
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

This is a network problem. Not an NBA problem. Since professional sports began, fans were at risk of their favorite players not being available the day they bought tickets. No one gave a flying fig. Now that players dont care if it is a national broadcast or not, the networks want to make roster decisions. Tough. If they were smart, they would just make flex schedules like they do with Sunday night football to minimize the risk.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #97
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is a network problem. Not an NBA problem. Since professional sports began, fans were at risk of their favorite players not being available the day they bought tickets. No one gave a flying fig. Now that players dont care if it is a national broadcast or not, the networks want to make roster decisions. Tough. If they were smart, they would just make flex schedules like they do with Sunday night football to minimize the risk.
Agree with the flex schedules idea. However, I'm guessing that many of those "load management" decisions are made too late for the networks with respect to where & when to send their broadcast team and their equipment...

Disagree that it's just a network problem and not an NBA problem. When it begins to affect the NBA's bottom line, that's when it becomes their problem. In addition, if it contributes to fans' perception that players are lazy and overpaid, and that then starts to affect the bottom line (and/or start to affect the fragile egos of certain players), then it becomes an NBA problem.

Part of the solution, I'd think, would be to schedule marquee matchups to where neither team is on the first or second of a back-to-back, thus significantly reducing the chances of a star player taking a night off due to "load management." (The NBA is already trending towards fewer b2b's and fewer 4-games-in-5 nights, so this suggests that the NBA already sees LM as a problem.)

Hopefully, the long-term answer will be that this is just a temporary wave in the mindset of players, although I doubt that. That said, there has pretty much always been "load management." It's just in how it's been implemented... I recall that both the Lakers and Celtics in the 80's would leave stars at home and/or barely play them in road games at the end of the season. Of course they got fined for it, too. Then Popovich took it to a new level. And Kawai to yet another level.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #98
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

This could be avoiding by not scheduling national TV games on back to backs. That is just dumb.

Sooner or later the NBA will shorten the schedule to between 64-68 games and get rid of back to backs altogether.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #99
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

If Warner & Disney are that upset about players not being available, they can always let some other network looking for live content take over. There are more stations and internet providers ready to pounce. This isn't going to affect the NBA's bottom line. ESPN & such are trying to spin it as a potential disaster because it affects their interests. Their reporting on the situation is not neutral.

The NBA can tinker with the situation, but there is only so much they can do. It is not as if these arenas only house NBA teams. They have to dance around other events, the NHL etc. Tinkering goes but so far.

What the networks should be doing is what the NFL does. Don't push stars, push the game. he NBA has continually made the mistake of centering the attention on Jordan, then LeBron. The PGA has done the same with Tiger. When the stars are gone, what happens? Instead, spread the attention around. So fans will want to see the games whether it is star studded or not.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #100
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Never heard this story. It should be told.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance