Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #141
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
Surely people must feel the same about training in PT season play as in tournaments?
I assume the people voting “no training” aren’t training their players in PT season play either (otherwise, WTF?)

Maybe they're playing in Bronze/Silver leagues and could be accused of tanking (indeed could actually easily tank) out of Perfect for Diamond by playing these players.

Or maybe we're trying to compete in Diamond and don't want to **** up our team just so we can play in Bronze and Silver leagues with guys who trained these guys up 6 months ago before they had a team of perfects?

Maybe they're competing in Silver/Bronze because guys who have large collections of players are more readily able to dominate every high league, having done so months ago in their rise to Perfect.

IDK, maybe so that the playing field is a little more level between people who have had the game for maybe 8 months and those who've had it 2-3?

I honestly find it hard to believe someone couldn't see there being a multitude of reasons for ppl to not want training even if they use it in the league games season after season.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #142
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I like tournaments without training so that the same cards are actually the same and flexible utility players have more value.

It also addresses the potential issue with using the regular league to train low level players for tournaments.

I'd vote to get rid of it entirely next perfect team, but since it does exist I'm obviously going to use it now where it can help out.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #143
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Hypothetical question: If training was allowed for tournaments, would we have to wait until after the first simulation for it to show up after activating our cards, just like how it works in the main game? Would they have to be active in the main game too for the training that was conducted in the main game to stick?

This seems like a significant limitation that would make it problematic to allow training.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 11-15-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #144
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Hypothetical question: If training was allowed for tournaments, would we have to wait until after the first simulation for it to show up after activating our cards, just like how it works in the main game? Would they have to be active in the main game too for the training that was conducted in the main game to stick?

This seems like a significant limitation that would make it problematic to allow training.

According to Markus, this is indeed a major problem. Training is only added at the end of the week. No problem in a season long game, but if the tourney is tue-wed, the training is gone. I'm just guessing this isn't something they can easily bandaid and fix.

In the end it feels like it makes more cards viable, which is to me a good thing because the market is pretty hopped up and seems loaded with people with PP and nothing better to do but buy up the cheap copies of the most useful players and charge large amounts for them.

The larger the pool of useful players - the more people are forced to accommodate new situations and not buy the 3 fave guys - the better the impact on the market, presumably.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #145
Barmy Fungy-Phipps
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
I'm not sure such a fundamental change to PT as a whole should be based on such a small sample size. Especially one that was so close.
I agree with this, in a way. That is, I strongly disagree with the decision as it was made, and shouldn't have been made on the basis of a small majority in a poll that at best represents only a fraction of the player base.

Since it is made, I don't see how you can possibly keep training in the main portion of the game. Having it exist in one part and not another is actively frustrating. I don't think THAT decision should be made on the basis of such a small portion of the players either, but it feels like they would have to.
Barmy Fungy-Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #146
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Nobody questioned training at other positions in PT for a full year, and now tournaments come out, the import of fielding stats doesn't work for whatever reason, and within four days everybody wants to get rid of it altogether. What the actual ****? Has everybody lost their mind now?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #147
Drezik
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Nobody questioned training at other positions in PT for a full year, and now tournaments come out, the import of fielding stats doesn't work for whatever reason, and within four days everybody wants to get rid of it altogether. What the actual ****? Has everybody lost their mind now?
I think people just realized it makes the game a little more interesting.

Drezik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #148
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezik View Post
I think people just realized it makes the game a little more interesting.
I think training players at a different position is awful.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #149
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nobody questioned training at other positions in PT for a full year
This is not true. I complained about training players at positions that they never played during the pre-v1 development, and I have been complaining about it at every opportunity since then. There are others that have chimed in from time to time.

The idea of players becoming gold glove proficient at positions that they NEVER played in real life is silly to me. I never liked it; I still don't like it; and I never will like it. IMHO it should be removed from the main game as well.

I have no problem with Cal Ripken starting with a 50 rating at 3B and being able to vastly improve it. But he should not have a rating at 2B and he should not be able to develop one. If Cal Ripken goes into a game at 2B, he probably won't stink based on his raw skills. That's fine. He should never be better than Craig Biggio there.

By the way, I don't like Future Legend cards either just in case that comes up.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #150
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Basically, this is the first time it has been up for discussion. Everybody who has lost their mind now assumed tournaments would use the same player cards as season play, because why wouldn't they? But no, now we have two versions of every card: one with defensive training for season play, and one without for tournaments. At release, the announcement was that training did not carry over "for now" as if it were a technical bug awaiting a fix. But if the tribe has spoken and decided against training in tournaments, everybody who has lost their mind now wants to know why the thought process is different for season play. For example, I think all of Morgans Magic's arguments are reasons to nix training in season play, too.

Edit: Maybe this got lost in translation, but my preference is to keep training in tournaments just like it is in season play. But that has been decided against, so the next best thing is to nix training in season play just like it is in tournaments. Some people are opposed to training; I just want an explanation.

Last edited by Threnodas; 11-15-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #151
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
It was argued against. I know at one point early in the PT1.0 life cycle in time I questioned the ability to make cards unique through our actions, like we're playing an RPG.

Then, as now, I did not hold a particularly strong opinion on the subject. I have a slight lean towards not allowing training, and I voted that way, but I'd be fine either way.

Fwiw, I think the fact that there wasn't overwhelming support to include positional training in tournaments will save them a metric buttload of work to try to make the game mechanics cooperate - if that is even possible.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #152
Barmy Fungy-Phipps
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The idea of players becoming gold glove proficient at positions that they NEVER played in real life is silly to me.
I can respect that, if what you are interested in is historical recreation in a strict sense. As a baseball concept, though, it would be almost guaranteed that the average shortstop would be better at second base than the average second baseman, given comparable experience. Same with the average center fielder compared with the corners. Training makes all the sense in the world to me.
Barmy Fungy-Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #153
daves
Hall Of Famer

Tournaments General Discussion

I never saw the vote in training. You’d think there be a notification so we all can have a say? I guess just a few were able to vote multiple times and/or robot votes?

Building a team in PT is about training positions. I don’t understand how you don’t want unless you don’t actually play the game?

Anyway, now that the non players have their say, what is defense efficiency affect for putting players out of position? Is Jackie Robinson bad at 3b? Can Trout play LF? Are my Shortstops unable to play second? Can my excellent fielding RF play LF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by daves; 11-15-2019 at 01:11 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #154
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Anyway, now that the non players have their say, what is defense efficiency affect for putting players out of position? Is Jackie Robinson bad at 3b? Can Trout play LF? Are my Shortstops unable to play second? Can my excellent fielding RF play LF?
100 Jackie can play 3B quite well. It's a peak legend card and it should be able to do something that a single-season card cannot.

Trout can play LF. He starts at X rating and he can develop there. He has played nearly 800 innings there in his career. He barely played RF so he gets nothing there. You want a RF? Get Yelich instead.

Can your shortstop play 2B? Has he ever played 2B? No? Then why should he be able to play there?

Why play an excellent RF in LF? So you can load up your lineup? Nah. Make some choices. Decisions are challenging.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #155
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I never saw the vote in training. You’d think there be a notification so we all can have a say? I guess just a few were able to vote multiple times and/or robot votes?

Building a team in PT is about training positions. I don’t understand how you don’t want unless you don’t actually play the game?

It was stickied at the top of the forum for the past two and a half days while you have been posting...

Building a team in regular PT was about training positions. I think it is a dumb feature and I'm glad tournaments are different for reasons Orcin has said. Making choices is interesting strategy, putting a player wherever you want isn't.

If you want to figure out the impact of playing a player somewhere where he has zero experience then do it and see what happens! Compare his overall performance against a player who might have a weaker bat but stronger fielding. You know, kinda like managing a baseball team.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #156
getalife1798
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

I play to build teams and win. I have never thought PT to be a training simulator, nor ever will.

I voted against training. Training in tournaments just creates way too many problems in the main game as well as added value to cards that play multiple positions at the start (Such as Whit Merrifield and Enrique Hernandez).

OOTP21

OOTP20

Last edited by getalife1798; 11-15-2019 at 02:03 PM.
getalife1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #157
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
It was stickied at the top of the forum for the past two and a half days while you have been posting...

Post in Tapatalk. Never saw it!

Old 11-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #158
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post

Building a team in regular PT was about training positions. I think it is a dumb feature and I'm glad tournaments are different for reasons Orcin has said. Making choices is interesting strategy, putting a player wherever you want isn't.

Right. Pujols should have stayed at third or OF he has no business at 1st! Arod should have stayed at short! What was the Brewers thinking by putting Yount in CF? Don’t they know players should only be designed to play certain positions only like the tournament PT version! MLB needs to know the OOTP position only! Major League Baseball has it all wrong!

Old 11-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #159
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

That was a refreshing exchange.

All things considered, things are going mighty well.

Congratulations to us.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #160
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Right. Pujols should have stayed at third or OF he has no business at 1st! Arod should have stayed at short! What was the Brewers thinking by putting Yount in CF? Don’t they know players should only be designed to play certain positions only like the tournament PT version! MLB needs to know the OOTP position only! Major League Baseball has it all wrong!

You can play players anywhere you want in tournaments. Nothing stopping you!

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote